Stage 1

Options

Replies

• lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Should i be sore after workouts? After my second workout(which i thought kicked my butt) i wasn't sore at all the next day, not even a bit. Is that a sign that i should up the weights?

soreness is not a good measure of a workout. you should up your weight when you can do the prescribed reps with good form.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    so, i did workout 1A5 today. glad to be in the 3 set/lower rep part of stage 1.

squat 100/105/105
    pushups 25/20/20
    seated row 70/75/75
    step-ups 40/45/45
    prone jacknife 25/20/20
  • tigertrax3
    tigertrax3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Should i be sore after workouts? After my second workout(which i thought kicked my butt) i wasn't sore at all the next day, not even a bit. Is that a sign that i should up the weights?

soreness is not a good measure of a workout. you should up your weight when you can do the prescribed reps with good form.

Thanks
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    So I'm back. I doubt you'd all remember me but I had a go at this last year. I completed stage one last year in March and then work got crazy. So I stopped.
    This year I'm going back to it. I've already done Stage 1 Workout A and B twice and am enjoying myself. I didn't check out what I finished on when I went back to the gym this time because I wanted to see what I chose. I found out I'm lifting almost at the same level as when I left off except for the deadlifts. They've gone right down hill. Right now I'm focusing on form for those. Lunges are also killing me, I need to look into foam rolling because my muscles feel so weak.

Right now this is what I'm doing

Workout A
    Pushups (just about do these on the floor with legs crossed but not with great form)
    Squat 33lbs
    Seated row 35lbs
    Step Up 14lbs
    Prone Jacknife (need to work on form)

Workout B
    Sit Ups (working on form)
    Lunge 6lbs
    Lat Pulldown 40lbs
    Deadlift 45lbs (just the bar right now)
    Shoulder Press 10lbs

Question when using weights on both hands do you guys add them up for the weight? Some of those should be doubled if that's the case.

I also need to get my eating back into check. I generally love on about 1500 cals a day when I'm not thinking about it. So more food for me! Never a bad thing lol..
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Question about the Step Ups...I finished workout 8A last night and it was 3 sets of 10. How do you make sure that you're working out each leg the same amount? When it was just 2 sets of 15, it was easy to just focus on one leg per set.

Last night I kinda split up the 10 reps into 5 per leg. Sorry this is a goofy question haha, but it just felt weird last night!

I am not sure if I understood your question but when you did the 2 sets you should do 15 reps on the left leg and then 15 reps on the right and then repeat. So with the 3 you do 10 on the left leg and then you 10 on the right and repeat 3 times.

Is that what you meant? :-)

Daisy
  • Daisy80
    Options

Soreness is not always a sign of a good workout....Alwyn Cosgrove posted that on his Facebook before but it is still good to try and up the weights in every workout!
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Question when using weights on both hands do you guys add them up for the weight? Some of those should be doubled if that's the case.

I think as long as you're consistent in your own records, that's the important thing. For me, it depends on how much work I think a body part is doing. So for shoulder press, I log it as the weight per hand, since each arm is working independently. So if I have a 10lb dumbbell in each hand, each arm is pushing 10lbs up, so I log it as 10lbs. For step-ups and lunges, I log it as the total weight, since the leg that's lunging or stepping up is responsible for the whole thing. If I'm holding a 10lb dumbbell in each hand when I'm doing a step-up, that leg is lifting an extra 20lbs, so I log it as 20lbs. Does that make sense?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options

I think as long as you're consistent in your own records, that's the important thing. For me, it depends on how much work I think a body part is doing. So for shoulder press, I log it as the weight per hand, since each arm is working independently. So if I have a 10lb dumbbell in each hand, each arm is pushing 10lbs up, so I log it as 10lbs. For step-ups and lunges, I log it as the total weight, since the leg that's lunging or stepping up is responsible for the whole thing. If I'm holding a 10lb dumbbell in each hand when I'm doing a step-up, that leg is lifting an extra 20lbs, so I log it as 20lbs. Does that make sense?

That makes perfect sense. Thanks!
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    Agree, consistency is key. I always log dumbbells the same way, that is, I write down the weight I carry in one hand, no matter what exercise I am doing. Same for lunges, step ups and presses of any kind etc. I just log 10 kg if I have 10 kg in each hand, although obviously I am carrying 20 total. But whatever way you choose, just stick with it. It really doesn't matter, as long as you are consistent.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    So I'm back.

Welcome back!

I always log total weight. That way its transferable as you move from dumbbells to barbells etc.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You've got it exactly right, deksgrl. I didn't do the special workouts the first 2 times I didn't finish the program, so I probably won't do it this time either.

Thanks! I bought a set of barbells and dumbbells on Craigslist last night. I'm excited to get my gym area set up and start this weekend.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    I wanted to ask you girls a question. I'm back in the squat rack and I'm suffering from a sharp pain when I put the Olympic bar on my shoulders. It's only one side and it seems to be just where the bar is resting. I know last time I used a towel but is it a sign of bad form? Or do I just need to get used to the weight on my shoulders?
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would guess there's something wrong. Can you see a physiotherapist or something?
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    I tend to agree. It shouldn't hurt to have the weight rest there. Have it checked out just to be safe.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    I wanted to ask you girls a question. I'm back in the squat rack and I'm suffering from a sharp pain when I put the Olympic bar on my shoulders. It's only one side and it seems to be just where the bar is resting. I know last time I used a towel but is it a sign of bad form? Or do I just need to get used to the weight on my shoulders?

Does a towel help the sharp pain?
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Very excited, finally starting tonight!
    I just want to make sure I understand everything, tonight I'm doing A; Workout 1, Wed. B; Workout 1, Friday A; Workout 2, etc.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Very excited, finally starting tonight!
    I just want to make sure I understand everything, tonight I'm doing A; Workout 1, Wed. B; Workout 1, Friday A; Workout 2, etc.

You have it right. Good luck tonight, enjoy
  • Daisy80
    Options
    Hi all

finally back at it...I have done Stage 1 before but fell of the wagon as I changed my gym...went back last week but today is offically the start again...did Stage 1A today...yay...looking forward to the journey!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options

Yes it does. It's just where it's resting and if there's something to cushion it, it doesn't happen.
  • lcuconley
    Options

Yes it does. It's just where it's resting and if there's something to cushion it, it doesn't happen.

It is odd that it is only one side, but if a towel helps, it is probably not a nerve thing. Make sure that the bar is low enough to rest on the fleshy part and pull you shoulder blades together.