Stage 1

Options

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I just watched the video, I think it is when I bring my front foot back to join the back foot (and is off the floor doing so) that I feel it in my straight let... which would make sense seeing as how the other foot isn't on the floor... but I'll pay better attention next time.

And the dude's voice is totally creepy BTW - on the female version
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/dumbbell-lunges
    I did it just like the video last night and felt better about it.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Lounge lizard alert. Wow! Can't you just picture the paisley polyester and the lava lamp?
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    sjw - when i went up in weights on my last workout, I really felt it in my straight leg, but I don't think that is right...I think you need to focus on pushing back with your bent leg. It should be a big step, so I am not sure if you are stepping out too far.

I just watched the video, I think it is when I bring my front foot back to join the back foot (and is off the floor doing so) that I feel it in my straight let... which would make sense seeing as how the other foot isn't on the floor... but I'll pay better

Yes, it is on the return that you would use the straight leg...but we need to push off with the bent leg rather that pulling back with the straight leg.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    sjw - when i went up in weights on my last workout, I really felt it in my straight leg, but I don't think that is right...I think you need to focus on pushing back with your bent leg. It should be a big step, so I am not sure if you are stepping out too far.

I just watched the video, I think it is when I bring my front foot back to join the back foot (and is off the floor doing so) that I feel it in my straight let... which would make sense seeing as how the other foot isn't on the floor... but I'll pay better

Yes, it is on the return that you would use the straight leg...but we need to push off with the bent leg rather that pulling back with the straight leg.
    That is the idea of the Step-Ups, only use the working leg on the riser. The other leg is for balance and along for the ride:
    http://nicktumminello.com/2013/01/step-ups-a-better-way-that-eliminates-cheating/
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options

Lounge lizard alert. Wow! Can't you just picture the paisley polyester and the lava lamp?

Ha ha is voice is so funny!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Good Morning All!

great workout this am! I did 1A7:

squat : 10@120, 9@125, 8@130...gonna start at 135 next time!
    pushup: tried doing a 10 pound weight on my back, but that was really awkward, I did 12. then I did inverted. 22@3 risers, 22@4, 17@4, 10@4. Not sure why I did an extra set!
    seated row: 10@80, 8@85, 8@85
    step-up: 3x8@60
    prone jackknife with pike: 15, 14, 12
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Great job! I'll be on 1A3 tonight.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All!

pushup: tried doing a 10 pound weight on my back, but that was really awkward, I did 12. then I did inverted. 22@3 risers, 22@4, 17@4, 10@4. Not sure why I did an extra set!

Great job! My question is for the seated row: On the cable machine at my gym the number on the stack is PER-ARM. When people post their lifts here is that per-arm, or total?
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Good Morning All!

Great job! My question is for the seated row: On the cable machine at my gym the number on the stack is PER-ARM. When people post their lifts here is that per-arm, or total?

I always do the total..the plate for my last lift said 42.5. I always to total of the dumbbells, too, for lunges and step-ups. That way it is consistent across barbell exercises, too.
  • 5one5oh
    5one5oh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    this has maybe been asked already: how much cardio are some of you doing in addition to this? I know the book said it's not required, but I actually like a good sweat.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I'm not doing any right now.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    this has maybe been asked already: how much cardio are some of you doing in addition to this? I know the book said it's not required, but I actually like a good sweat.

I'll do some intervals before my workout to get warmed up (e.g. kettlebell swings, jump-roping, rowing, etc.) but that's it. I hate cardio so I LOVE I don't have to do it. But I should say that I live in the city so I end up walking at least 30 minutes a day as a part of my commute to work.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I did 1A3 today:

Squats: 2x12 @ 22 (still trying to get the form right)
    Push-ups: 12 normal, 12 with feet on step
    Seated row: 2x12 @ 47.5
    Step up: 12@25, 12@30
    Prone Jack Knife: 2x10 (my form seriously needs work)

Does anybody else find it odd that I squat 22 but my seated row is 47.5?
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I'll do some intervals before my workout to get warmed up (e.g. kettlebell swings, jump-roping, rowing, etc.) but that's it. I hate cardio so I LOVE I don't have to do it. But I should say that I live in the city so I end up walking at least 30 minutes a day as a part of my commute to work.

Snap, I hate forced cardio too. Will start doing the intervals when I move into stage 2, but apart from warming up, and riding my bike to commute and for fun, and daily half hour gentle strolls I am not doing any prescribed cardio currently. The NR workout gets be sweaty, red faced, and gasping for breath enough as it is!
  • 5one5oh
    5one5oh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How long does it take you to do the workouts? It took me 20 minutes, and I am use to a solid hour of weights (different body part each day) and cardio- so I feel like I'm not doing enough.
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    How long does it take you to do the workouts? It took me 20 minutes, and I am use to a solid hour of weights (different body part each day) and cardio- so I feel like I'm not doing enough.

I thought they were quick in the beginning too - 25min or so, but when you are pushing and pulling big weights, it takes it out of you - so I was happy for the short workouts because I was knackered by the end of them. 3 sets takes a bit longer.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    5150 - It takes me about 35 to 40 minutes in workouts 5-8. I agree with mcbellenz that I load as much weight as I can do, so I am pretty wobbly at the end. I warm up with a one mile run. I do spin, yoga and soccer the other days. Stage 2 workouts are longer.

Sjw - that is pretty remarkable. Once you get your form down, though, I am sure you will be loading it on!
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Sjw - that is pretty remarkable. Once you get your form down, though, I am sure you will be loading it on!

Thanks!
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    great to see you're all doing well. I find that really motivating. It's 2A for me tomorrow and I am looking forward to it.
  • sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Does anybody else find it odd that I squat 22 but my seated row is 47.5?

I'm the same. I just started using the bar for squats, but my seated row and lat pull down are at 70. I thought it was weird too.

My last Stage 1 workout is tonight! Yay! I don't think I'll take a week off before starting stage 2.Life happened for these past 2 weeks and I feel like I've already taken a break.