Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The 3x10s are kicking my *kitten*. It's a good *kitten*-kicking, mind you, but definitely an *kitten*-kicking!

And I had a little moment of glee today when I did 80lbs on my deadlift. New personal best!
  • gymbunny1962
    gymbunny1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Even wearing my little bike gloves I am getting callouses on my hands.

I had a problem with callouses, too, even when wearing gloves. I changed to something called Gripads - got them off Amazon in the UK (but I've seen them under other names). Basically, its heavy duty rubber padding that protects the palms of the hands and fingers and are held on with bands that slip on over three fingers. I must have been using them for about a year now and the callouses are gone. Works fine with most equipment - maybe not kettlebells.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    good morning all! I am done with stage 1!

workout 1B8:

Deadlift: 135x8/140x8/14x8
    shoulder press: 50x12x3 (tried to go up to 60, but not happening...just had to settle for 2 more reps)
    lat pulldown: 90x6x3 (really not sure what happened here...I got 8 done at 90 last week!)
    lunge: 50x8/50x8/50x9
    V sit up with 15 pound ball overhead: 15x15x3

then I did the 100pushup workout: 22/29/20/17/29. I will be repeating this week next week because i missed the targets too often.

gymbunny - I actually love my callouses.

coquette - congrats on the deadlift...and enjoying your *kitten*-kicking!

rogie - how did 1B1 go??
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    oops, double post :blushing:
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    The 3x10s are kicking my *kitten*. It's a good *kitten*-kicking, mind you, but definitely an *kitten*-kicking!

And I had a little moment of glee today when I did 80lbs on my deadlift. New personal best!

Same here! I've done one of each so far and they are tougher!
    Great work on your deadlift PR!

Lcuconley, congrats on finishing Stage 1! See you on the Stage 2 board when I make it here :happy:
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Some guy at the gym yesterday told me I was going to hurt myself doing the lat pull downs (1B). I asked him if my form was bad, he said no, but it was too much weight.... What?! If my form looks good then how could he know it was too much weight?

lcuconley: congrats on graduating from Stage 1!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Some guy at the gym yesterday told me I was going to hurt myself doing the lat pull downs (1B). I asked him if my form was bad, he said no, but it was too much weight.... What?! If my form looks good then how could he know it was too much weight?

Idiot - shame you can't put him on ignore. :laugh: Only you can tell if it's too much weight - he must be in the pink dumbbells for women club.

I finally added weights to my lunges - a whole 1kg! but since I'm still struggling with them I don't care, form first weight later. :bigsmile:
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Even wearing my little bike gloves I am getting callouses on my hands.

I had a problem with callouses, too, even when wearing gloves. I changed to something called Gripads - got them off Amazon in the UK (but I've seen them under other names). Basically, its heavy duty rubber padding that protects the palms of the hands and fingers and are held on with bands that slip on over three fingers. I must have been using them for about a year now and the callouses are gone. Works fine with most equipment - maybe not kettlebells.

SNAP! I was going to ask if anyone had heard of these "Gripads", saw them advertised in fitness life magazine - they are pretty cheap here - $25NZD - which is cheaper than any proper weight gloves I have seen. I think I am going to order a red set tonight.
  • mcbellnz
    Options

Idiot - shame you can't put him on ignore. :laugh: Only you can tell if it's too much weight - he must be in the pink dumbbells for women club.

I finally added weights to my lunges - a whole 1kg! but since I'm still struggling with them I don't care, form first weight later. :bigsmile:

I agree. What a douche.

Also - yay for your lunge success - I found Step ups were my problem - had to start with Body Weight!
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I hate step ups so super bad!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    sorry if I am repeating myself...for those with callous problems: make sure your grip is correct and that you are not squishing the skin at the top of your palms. When you grab the bar, slide your fingers around the bar, rather than placing your palms on the bar and wrapping the fingers around.

mcbell & chicbuc - %!#$(* I just looked ahead to stage two...more step ups!

newme - congrats on the new weights...I totally agree: form first!

sjw - I agree with mcbell: what a douche!
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Oh and a silly whine - Lat-pull downs. I love doing them, I hate starting them. Why? Because I'm just barely over five feet tall and I can just barely reach the bar to grab it with my fingers if I stand on my tip-toes. So annoying!
  • mcbellnz
    Options
    Oh and a silly whine - Lat-pull downs. I love doing them, I hate starting them. Why? Because I'm just barely over five feet tall and I can just barely reach the bar to grab it with my fingers if I stand on my tip-toes. So annoying!

I hear ya! I am 5ft 3, but if I have to change the bar on the lat pulldown machine at the back of the gym (which is a bit taller than the one in the middle, but often free) I have to stand on my tippy toes. And with heavy weights I worry I am going to get flung into the ceiling after the last rep :D
  • mcbellnz
    Options
    sorry if I am repeating myself...for those with callous problems: make sure your grip is correct and that you are not squishing the skin at the top of your palms. When you grab the bar, slide your fingers around the bar, rather than placing your palms on the bar and wrapping the fingers around.

mcbell & chicbuc - %!#$(* I just looked ahead to stage two...more step ups!

newme - congrats on the new weights...I totally agree: form first!

sjw - I agree with mcbell: what a douche!

I had read a grip description earlier (I assume from you) but hadn't quite understood fully. I am totally of the type to "place palms and wrap fingers", will have to try the slidey finger deal tomorrow for deadlifts. My grip strength leaves a lot to be desired - I have even borrowed one of those squeezy hand grip thingys to try to improve it. Old lefty is pretty sad!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed a lot of callous yet, but I already have them half the year from motorcycle handle grips. I have light summer gloves for riding to prevent callouses, but I don't wear them all the time or else I get a funny tan. Will get some of those weight grips if I find I'm getting more than normal amount from lifting.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options

I'm 5ft and I have to stand on the seat and get my hands where I want them and then hop down. Works for me:)
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    good morning all! I am done with stage 1!

workout 1B8:

Deadlift: 135x8/140x8/14x8
    shoulder press: 50x12x3 (tried to go up to 60, but not happening...just had to settle for 2 more reps)
    lat pulldown: 90x6x3 (really not sure what happened here...I got 8 done at 90 last week!)
    lunge: 50x8/50x8/50x9
    V sit up with 15 pound ball overhead: 15x15x3

then I did the 100pushup workout: 22/29/20/17/29. I will be repeating this week next week because i missed the targets too often.

Well done! Will you be doing AMRAP's?
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options

Oh my god i can't believe that! What an idiot...how dare him telling you that! Some people....:mad:
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've officially done A1 and B1! I'm so proud of myself. I think I'll be able to try squatting the bar asap. and I picked too small of a weight for deadlifting, I was so proud that I had to move up 20lbs for set 2!

My arms and abs are comfortably sore, thighs are killer sore though. Gonna do some yoga tomorrow on my day off.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    jaz - good for you! We are proud of you, too!

daisy - based upon the feedback in the daily thread, I am not going to do AMRAPs

beck, mcbell and coquette - way to overcome extra obstacles!!

deks - funny tan lines! made me smile!