Stage 1

Options

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    My last Stage 1 workout is tonight! Yay! I don't think I'll take a week off before starting stage 2.Life happened for these past 2 weeks and I feel like I've already taken a break.
    YAY! Congrats!
    I'm only 2 weeks in but I'm not planning on taking a week off either, I really enjoy my "alone time" in the garage with my weights.
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My last Stage 1 workout is tonight! Yay! I don't think I'll take a week off before starting stage 2.Life happened for these past 2 weeks and I feel like I've already taken a break.
    YAY! Congrats!
    I'm only 2 weeks in but I'm not planning on taking a week off either, I really enjoy my "alone time" in the garage with my weights.

Are we advised to take a week off in between? I have two more workouts, then the AMRAPs and then I am done for stage one. Might have to have another squiz at the book.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The book recommends it but it's not a hard rule. The author says that between business trips and vacations he takes time off so it is never timed exactly to the end of one certain stage of a program. It is important to take time off, so if you never go anywhere, then take the rest between stages.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Sara - congrats on finishing stage 1! See you in the stage 2 thread in about a week! I am not going to take a break between stages..."life happens" is a good way to describe it!

Tomorrow am I lift and, on beeps recommendation, i am going to add "100 pushups" to my lifting days.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Sara - congrats on finishing stage 1! See you in the stage 2 thread in about a week! I am not going to take a break between stages..."life happens" is a good way to describe it!

Tomorrow am I lift and, on beeps recommendation, i am going to add "100 pushups" to my lifting days.

Good for you adding extra pushups, I'm still trying to get down to the floor! I've been making much better progress on adding weights for lower body than upper. I've just finished 1B4, so maybe with lower reps I'll be able to do more :smile:
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies..

I did stage 1 workout A2 today. It was so so..The squat rack was taken for ages so I used the normal barbell. Prefer the oly bar by far!
    I increased my weights on the step ups...now having 5kg in each hand. Yay! I can increase weights on the other exercises too I think and I think I can try something lower for my pushups. I am currently using a rail on the wall.

Even though I have only been at it for two weeks but I am feeling great. As I might have mentioned I made to the end of stage 1 before and I felt great. This feeling is coming back now and I am slowly getting back into the habit of going to the gym rather than finding it a chore.

Next time I will have to go on Saturday...before work so that means I will have to be at the gym by 7...that is very early for me. Wish me luck!
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You can do it, Daisy!! So glad you're getting in the groove again!
  • chicbuc
    Options
    Why oh why do I keep hurting my quads? They're not hurt as in I walk around all day in pain, but I could only do 1 set of lunges last night before it felt like my quad was being ripped off the bone every time I lunged even when I dropped the weight and just tried body weight, so I stopped and finished my ab stuff and walked and stretched. This is the second time it's happened. Last time I rested for a couple days and it was fine. I'll do the same and hope for the best on Sunday. It's so frustrating because I just want to lift!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a pulled muscle, if so it may need more recovery time. But I'm definitely not an expert, so please get other opinions.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Why oh why do I keep hurting my quads? They're not hurt as in I walk around all day in pain, but I could only do 1 set of lunges last night before it felt like my quad was being ripped off the bone every time I lunged even when I dropped the weight and just tried body weight, so I stopped and finished my ab stuff and walked and stretched. This is the second time it's happened. Last time I rested for a couple days and it was fine. I'll do the same and hope for the best on Sunday. It's so frustrating because I just want to lift!

I agree with deks, sounds like a pulled muscle. Make sure that you are warmed up and that you stretch before the next time that you try to do lunges. Perhaps do a few body weight lunges on each side as well before you add your working weight. I have a similar issue that every time I do lunges after not working out for a while, I strain my groin muscles.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Daisy - you can make it to the gym tomorrow! We can't wait to hear your report. Glad you are feeling stronger!

---
    So, I ALMOST bagged my workout this am...literally stayed in bed 15 minutes past my alarm. I NEVER do that and still get up. But I did and got a good workout behind me. I knew it was not a day to expect much progression, but boy was I wiped at the the end. I had neither the time nor the energy to do the first leg of my 100pushups workout, but will get that done today. here is workout 1B7:

deadlifts: 8@130, 8@135, 6@135
    shoulder press: 11@50, 10@50, 10@ 50 (will try 60 next time, but its such a huge jump!)
    wide grip lat: 10@85, 8@90, 8@90
    lunge: 3x8@50 (I did 3x10 last workout, but the lunges were really hard this am!)
    SBC: 3x15@15 (I actually skipped the ball today because someone was using it. I just did weighted V-sit-ups. I think I will continue to do that)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Daisy - you can make it to the gym tomorrow! We can't wait to hear your report. Glad you are feeling stronger!

---
    So, I ALMOST bagged my workout this am...literally stayed in bed 15 minutes past my alarm. I NEVER do that and still get up. But I did and got a good workout behind me. I knew it was not a day to expect much progression, but boy was I wiped at the the end. I had neither the time nor the energy to do the first leg of my 100pushups workout, but will get that done today. here is workout 1B7:

deadlifts: 8@130, 8@135, 6@135
    shoulder press: 11@50, 10@50, 10@ 50 (will try 60 next time, but its such a huge jump!)
    wide grip lat: 10@85, 8@90, 8@90
    lunge: 3x8@50 (I did 3x10 last workout, but the lunges were really hard this am!)
    SBC: 3x15@15 (I actually skipped the ball today because someone was using it. I just did weighted V-sit-ups. I think I will continue to do that)

Great work everyone, it can be so tough to get all the workouts in!

I just got through 1A4 and 1Ab, I'm looking forward to going to lower reps and more sets tomorrow :smile:

deadlifts: 2x12@125
    shoulder press: 2x20@40 (20# db in each hand)
    wide grip lat: 2x12@75
    lunge: 4x12@50 Barbell

Squat: 2x12@95
    Push-up: 2x12 on the smith machine bar - can't quite get to the ground yet!
    Seated Row: 2x12@70
    Step up: 4x12@40 barbell
  • Daisy80
    Options
    Hi ladies!

Thank you for the encouragement. I really hope I will make it tomorrow...I really want to but it will be hard...I am just not a morning person at all and Saturdays are really busy at my work. I am determined though!

I'll let you know...And well done everyone on your great workouts!
  • mcbellnz
    Options
    Alrighty, so I did 1A8 last night. So my results for stage one so far are:

Squat: 34kg/74.8 lb
    > 59kg/129.8 (but I still think I need to work on going lower at this weight)
    Push Up: knees
    > toes (and getting lower every time)
    Seated Row: 35kg/77 lb
    > 55kg/121 lb
    Step up: Body weight
    > 8kg each hand/17.6lb each hand
    Prone Jacknife: was always able to do this, but hopefully my form is getting better.

Monday will be workout 1B8, and then I will do the AMRAP workouts as my personal trainer is away. Stage two looks hard! Lots of exercises that I am much less familiar with.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Mcbell - great job on workout 1A. You are lifting great!! Let me know how you like the AMRAP workout. I have always skipped it.

Kat - those weights look really good...get ready to progress with fewer reps!
  • mcbellnz
    Options
    I am only really doing the AMRAPs as my personal trainer is away, and I want her to take me through both of the stage two workouts so I get my form right - otherwise I would probably skip them.

I think I will do my stepups with 5kg in each hand (rather than body weight), and the pressups on my toes, so that the workout doesn't take forever while I do a million pressups on my knees and bodyweight step ups.
  • Daisy80
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    I did it I did it I did! I got up this morning and went to the gym before work! i know so many people get up early to exercise but I am not a morning person at all so for me it is quite something.
    I was really tired when i woke up but I just thought that i will still be tired even if I have another hour in bed and I told myself how good I will feel if I did it. Also if i wouldn't have done it today I would have had to do it tomorrow and I like my Sundays to be lazy :-)

So yes...it was a good workout. I think my form on the deadlift is still slightly off but it felt better than last time. I managed to increase my weights on some exercises but not for all reps.

It was good and I did actually feel energized at work today...I will try and make this a regular thing now.

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm halfway through stage 1, and I'm up to 70lbs on my deadlift and 65lbs on my squat. Still piddly numbers, but I try not to compare myself to anyone but me!
  • Daisy80
    Options
    Well, I'm halfway through stage 1, and I'm up to 70lbs on my deadlift and 65lbs on my squat. Still piddly numbers, but I try not to compare myself to anyone but me!

That's great! Everyone is different...i discovered that I am right weakling ;-)

Great improvement!
  • chicbuc
    Options
    Yay, Daisy! You rock!