Stage 1

Options

Replies

• sadiesimp
    sadiesimp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    we don't even have a regular squat rack at my gym....so I'm stuck with the smith
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    We do have a free barbell that I can use for my deadlifts but no squat rack. Unless I switch gyms, I guess that is what I'll have to use. :sad:
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Started on Monday, tonight is my 2nd workout. Really excited about it.

Loved everything I read in the book. Ready to get back to throwing around some weights. I feel so much better after I lift, it's amazing! :)
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options

Loved everything I read in the book. Ready to get back to throwing around some weights. I feel so much better after I lift, it's amazing! :)

Awesome! It does feel great, doesn't it??
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in and let you all know this is my last week of the first half of Stage 1 ... and I am so excited to move on to the second half! I am seriously loving these workouts and only after a few weeks of doing them, I can already see a bit of definition in my arms and abs!! Now if only I could get these last 10-15 pesky pounds to disappear... :laugh:

Cant wait to keep this momentum moving!!
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Awesome! It does feel great, doesn't it??

I love that feeling. I was going 6x's a week before that on a different program, then took a week off and think I am almost went crazy towards the end. Got back to gym on Monday and was so relieved. Forgot how much I like to lift weights. Plus I sleep a lot better now. Who'd have known!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! No NROL today, but have it planned for tomorrow morning. I think I will be going back to twice a week, Fri and Sun. I teach Zumba Mon-Thu in the evening and I am having a tough time getting up early to lift especially after a night of Zumba. So my rest days will be Saturday. I will see how it goes. I am committed to doing this program and it is also recommended to lift twice a week so that will work, I guess.

Have you checked out the JPfitness.com forums? Most people there are familiar with NROL. I am part of a fat loss challenge group. A nutritionist there recommended I eat about 125g of protein daily which has been more manageable than trying to eat up to the 30% of protein. I use muscle tech 100% protein, bought it at Sam's, it doesnt have a lot of sugar. I add it to my oatmeal mostly or just in shakes.

Have a great one!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    Alright, alf, I'm doing challenges over at JPFitness forum, too (I think you're the one that TOLD me about them....), so, what's your handle over there??
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies -

I just started this week, and have 2 workouts under my belt! I'm just curious on a few things -

How long does it usually take to complete your workouts? It seems like there aren't that many exercises, and it's only taking 20-25 minutes for me to complete. Does that sound right?? Do you do anything besides the lifting?

How is the calorie level working out for you? I had to add 200 calories on non-workout days from what MFP had me at, and that makes me a little nervous. It also has me add an extra 250 on lifting days, and that seems like a lot considering how short the workout is.

I'm working out at home and don't have a lat pulldown or an actual Olympic bar. So far, I've done alternatives, and used my regular barbell instead. Any other at-home people on the program, and any tips?

Thanks,

Jenna
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Are you resting between sets? I tend to lift enough each set that I really need that rest between sets. I don't always take the whole recommended time, but I definitely take little breaks between each set.

I think that a Stage 1 workout usually took me about 45 minutes to complete. I never really had to wait for any machines or anything at my gym either.

I didn't do much besides the lifting for Stage 1. I still went to Pilates and yoga and that was about it. I did jog a mile as a warm up before lifting.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! I did B5 today! I am at shoulder presses with 20lbs DB and that was tough!!! Also lunges with 22.5DB, I was pretty wobbly. Might stay with those until my form gets better, probably one more workout.

Beeps, I love it at JP forum. I am with team Galya. She is a nutritionist and fitness professional so I really like the help she is providing to me and the other team members.

Jenna, welcome!!! Up to wk 4, 2 sets, the workout was taking me about 30-35mins including warm up and stretch. Now with 3 sets it is closer to 45 mins. I do take the 60 sec breaks. I am pretty spent especially after the squats, lunges, etc so I really need that break. How much were you eating before the program. 200-250 cals more is not that much. We usually tend to eat less than what we actually need to support our workouts and lose weight and body fat. I would suggest you do eat more and monitor your progress. I am eating 1900 cals on workout days (6 days) and will be starting at 1500 on my rest day (Sat). I doing this program twice a week and teach Zumba 4 days a week. So far so good...I also workout at home. For the lat pulldown I am doing the pullover exercise. All the other exercised are being done with dumbbells.

Have a great weekend!!! :flowerforyou:
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    How long does it usually take to complete your workouts? It seems like there aren't that many exercises, and it's only taking 20-25 minutes for me to complete. Does that sound right?? Do you do anything besides the lifting?

How is the calorie level working out for you? I had to add 200 calories on non-workout days from what MFP had me at, and that makes me a little nervous. It also has me add an extra 250 on lifting days, and that seems like a lot considering how short the workout is.

It's been taking me about 24 minutes. I just finished my 3rd workout today, so I'm also a newbie. I usually take a break between the sets because I do need it but I don't think I take the full minute. I don't think that I'm lifting heavy enough to need the full minute yet. I wanted to work on form before I up the weights too much.

I adjusted my calories up before I got the book. I normally eat about 2000ish on workout days and 1800ish on non-workout days. That's quite an increase from what I was eating before (1500) and I haven't gained any weight. If you're really worried about it you could just increase it slowly, but I agree with alf that you will probably be just fine. And, if you up them and think you're gaining too much, it's not set in stone. :smile: I always have to keep reminding myself of that because it's been kinda hard to change my mentality towards eating so much more.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I did workout 5A yesterday. I am up to 65 pound squats, went up to 60 pounds on the seated row, doing full push ups (was before i started this) and using two 17.5 pound dumbbells for the step ups. My shoulders are bit sore today so I think I did pretty good :). I have been at maintenance calories all month and haven't gained anything even though I feel like I am a huge pig and am always full. :). I have been using the Designer Natural Whey and absolutely love it. :)
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I did 5A as well. I'll need to head to the store to get more weights soon for my barbell. I just love lifting heavy!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I finished stage 1 yesterday. I did sort of a hybrid of the special work out. I wanted to get to my bodyweight for squats so I did a few heavy sets and got there. Yay. Then I did a bunch of push ups. I had started using an incline but yesterday did them all flat. Then I started the seated row at the original weight to do AMRAP. I stopped at 200 because it was boring and seemed useless. Then I did my run for my 10k plan. Lilting is definitely hampering my running progress. Right now that's ok. Weather forces me indoors to run and I can only get to the gym on certain days. Strength is more important right now as compared to endurance. I'm doing tough mudderin May and need to be strong. After that we'll see but I probably will still prefer this.

I'm eating a lot more because I'm hungry. I haven't lost weight but I am buying smaller pants.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Happy Sunday!!! I did 6A today. I was sweating up a storm. :laugh: I have to do single bent over rows. It is too hard to do it with both because my left arm is weaker. Any of you doing single bent over rows? I am using 30lb DB. I am not sure I am getting the most of the step ups. The problem is I dont have the right step for them. I am having to use a step but is kinda low. My other option is a table but it is not very stable. I am using heavy weights (30lb DB) for the low step but having to put them down cause I lose my grip. I need to go to a sports store and see if I can buy something higher but sturdy. How are you doing the push ups? With elbows back along your upper body or going out to the side? I am trying to do them with the elbows back, harder for me, but not sure if I should do them with elbows flaring out. I am still not doing them on the floor but using a chair that is pretty low.

jetscreaminag, congrats on finishing stage 1!!!!!! :drinker: And congrats on losing inches, I think that is more important than losing weight.

Have a great day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!

alf - Glad to see someone else lifting from home. I'm doing the pullover for the lat exercise too. I am loving Zumba too, and I'm working with my local gym to discuss becoming an instructor as well!

beckdubs - Looks like we started close to the same time. I only got two workouts in last week, so I'm starting my second week with workout A again.

Glad to see you all having good responses with the number of calories. I was nervous, since I was only at 1400 before (set to lose .5 lb /week), so adding 200 on non-workout days seemed like a lot, but I can already tell that it's going to be easier for me to stick to this plan because of the extra calories.

I'm taking rests between sets, but not necessarily 60 seconds. I just give my self enough time to recover, where I think I'm ready to go again. I'm probably most lacking on warm up and stretching. After how sore I was last week, I'll be adding more this week for sure!

Workout 3A tonight, and hoping to up my squat already. I don't have an Olympic bar, so I loaded my dumbell with 30 pounds. Because of the equipment I have, I might try 50 tonight... at least for the first set.

Happy Monday, everyone!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I did 5A as well. I'll need to head to the store to get more weights soon for my barbell. I just love lifting heavy!

hah this is great! That means you're getting stronger!

alf- I have also been doing single arm bent over rows because there I don't have access to a row machine. I'm also stronger on the right. I was stuck at 30 but just upped to 35 today. I think one arm is fine, just concentrate really hard on pulling your muscles in towards your spine (like your trying to pinch a pencil) even though it's only on the one side. I do push-ups with arms flaring out, but I guess I should read the book more carefully. I'll re-read that section.

jetscreaminglag- I've actaully found now that my legs are stronger, my running form is greatly improved. I can push myself off the ground better with each step, so my strides are longer. So hopefully this gives you something to look forward too!

I did workout 8A today, so just one more and then on to AMRAP. Keep the heavy weights coming ladies!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Well I did the first week and started the second but we had a big snow storm and I was without power pretty much all week. I work out at home in the garage but it was pitch black out there. I didn't think hefting the weights around would be a good idea in the dark. So, since I only got one workout in for week two I'm just going to repeat that workout and pick it up from there. That should work just fine, right. I'm so glad the snow has melted and the power is on! A whole week without it is a long time!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    bump