Stage 1

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I wish I had better advice but it was pretty much just a matter of practice. I fell off a number of times but by the end it was much easier. Then you don't really do it in the other stages. I should try it again one of these days just for fun.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback Dawn. I will keep trying. I suppose it would have gone smoother if I wasn't laughing so hard. I looked rather like an ungraceful whale on a beach ball. I did B1 today. It was fun. I need to work on my lunges.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,937 Member
    Options
    Everything about NROL4W gets easier, mysticlizard, with practice! I promise!
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, it has been awhile since I have checked in on this group, so excited to see lots of newbies! Just so you know, there is a Facebook Page for NROL4W too. The authors of the book actually contribute and update on that page. If you join, check out the "files" and you will see amendments made by the authors, one of them being, less crunches, more planks! https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-lift-like-a-man-look-like-a-goddess/changes-amendmendments/10152281001688416
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Thank you Beeps. Today I did do better. My form wasn't great but I stayed on the ball so that was an improvement. I feel good! :)
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    B1 day two today. I worked on my form. :)
  • lovtolaff
    lovtolaff Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey guys - I'd love to keep this thread going as I have just started Stage 1 this week (for the 3rd time - life and being old got in the way! lol) I read here ALOT and it encourages me when everyone posts. I'm 46 years old, overweight and ready to do this for once and all. The first time I started Stage 1, I think I made it about 3 1/2 weeks before I had something happen to my lower back but I could really tell a difference in my clothes and overall health. I want to feel that again!

I've calculated my correct calories, upped my protein and started my workout. I already feel better and less bloated. For the life of me I don't know why I stop exercising once I start - it feels good and I have so much energy when I'm active. So hopefully this time will stick.

As for Stage 1 - I started yesterday and am going to focus on my form this week more than the weights. For me, I think if I can end up doing a real push-up, I will fall over from shock lol. I've never been able to do one correctly.

I hope everyone will post updates and stories. I know I can't be the only one reading here and finding encouragement. :smiley:
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options

@lovtolaff you're definitely not the only one reading! I'm not formally doing Nrol4w as I am currently following SL 5x5. However, I have read this entire thread and picked up loads of ideas. As a result I have ordered the book and do some of the elements as extras to my workouts. When SL gets stale for whatever reason, I shall probably switch between the two.

Love the fact that the feel good factor has kicked in already for you. Long may it continue!!
  • lovtolaff
    Options
    Are there any others out there just starting Stage 1? Would love to hear from everyone.

I did workout B today and focused more on my form than weights. My weights are pretty low right now but I've been out of the game for awhile. I'm going to start increasing next week.

I did substitute planks for the swiss ball crunches (after reading the info on the facebook site) and man are those tough!!
  • lovtolaff
    Options
    Ok I'm assuming someone is reading here so I'm gonna ramble lol...halfway thru my 2nd week of Stage 1. I feel leaner (probably just wishful thinking but hey I feel good so I'm going with it). I'm sticking with it - lifting, logging food, focusing on more protein, etc. I hope my determination lasts.

I did pull something this morning on the left side of my stomach this morning doing the prone jackknifes. Nothing major but it's a twinge. I'll watch it and work around it if I have to. My step ups were harder than normal today and I haven't even started using weights with those yet - I'm going to start with small dumbbells next week - that should be interesting.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    I'm reading!! My book arrived last week and u am trying to combine Nrol4w with SL5X5... So far so good. I'm combining the two because at the time of day I go to the gym I am not always able to use the kit I need.....and because of work I can't wait any longer.

I'm not surprised you are noticing changes early on.....I certainly did too. Hurrah to us!!
  • lovtolaff
    Options
    Thanks kimiuzzell for replying..makes me feel good that I'm not talking to myself lol. I think I may look more into the SL5x5's. I have limited time/equipment myself and it might be good to shake things up. Do you have a book about the SL5x5 or is it web based?

Oh and that's great that you had changes early on also - I feel alot less bloated these days and I can almost swear my pants are a tad looser. Yay!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I can answer about SL. Stronglifts 5x5 is found online. It's a free, simple strength based program. I did that one first before doing NROLFW. Just two days, an A and B. One day is squat, bench press, row (pendlay though some do bent-over instead) while the other day is squat, overhead press and deadlift. All are 5 sets of 5 reps except deadliest, which is one set with 5 reps. It's pretty quick in the beginning as you are supposed to start at a light weight to work on/develop form and over time things take longer as the weights get heavier along with the rest periods. It's also easy in that it's all barbell, so just need that equipment and nothing else. Though for some a couple dumbbells helps in the beginning with overhead press as not everyone can lift the bar at the start.

Have fun with Stage 1 and the others too. I peek around occasionally even though I'm not even doing NROLFW anymore or any of there other programs.
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm reading too, so you definitely aren't talking to yourself. I am still deciding between SL and NROLFW. I would love to hear about how people picked one program over another and why.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    I picked SL to start off with simply because I could instantly download the app on my phone whereas I had to order the book from the US and it took 3 weeks to arrive so l couldn't get started on it (yes I am impatient!) so in that time I set off on the SL programme whilst reading the Nrol4w threads on here which gave me the confidence to do both as and when I can once I was in possession of the book.

• lovtolaff
    Options
    kimiuzzell - so what does your schedule look like doing both? are you doing all stages of NRol4w? do you alternate weeks with SL? I'm curious as to how you make this work...thanks!

mmebouchon - hi! glad someone else is reading too. I find these these boards help me stay motivated and i love seeing everyone's comments and progress.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    mmebouchon wrote: »
    I'm reading too, so you definitely aren't talking to yourself. I am still deciding between SL and NROLFW. I would love to hear about how people picked one program over another and why.

I started with SL before doing NROLFW. Part of the reason was I started lifting at the beginning of November but didn't have the book until after Christmas. Also, I picked SL because I hadn't lifted in a long time (freshman year of college really except a few machines at small town gyms). It had a couple lifts I knew and not an overwhelming number of lifts that I would have to learn, so made it easy to use the free start up gym session with the trainer to learn some of the lifts. NROLFW, I started after 12 weeks of SL and I was ready at that time to get out of my comfort zone, which it did help with cause there are some different things in the stages of the program.

So, I was glad I did SL to build up strength and comfort in lifting first. However, I know some prefer to do NROLFW first before moving on to SL. I do think the strength increases were a little less in NROLFW because I already had to weeks on low reps with higher weights on things like deadlift, but that was okay as the other lifts balanced it out and I found some things I like and wanted when I decided my next program to follow.
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I started with stronglifts too. I liked that it got me familiar with the barbell, as it was my first time using it, rather than jumping right into NROLFW, but I definitely plan to go back to stronglifts after I finish NROLFW (currently on Stage 3) to build strengths and my specific barbell lifts. I like the constantly changing structure of NROL but I could see myself progress more obviously with stronglifts. After round two of stronglifts though I want to explore a split program.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    lovtolaff wrote: »
    kimiuzzell - so what does your schedule look like doing both? are you doing all stages of NRol4w? do you alternate weeks with SL? I'm curious as to how you make this work...thanks!

I'll reply tomorrow... Just home from a work function and fit to drop!!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    So...long post warning haha!
    My background is that I have always been fairly active - I love to ski (have done for 30 years) and love the classes at the gym - combat, bodypump, spinning etc. Over a 20 year period, I also dipped in and out of running - doing my first marathon at 20 in 1991 and my last one a whopping 26 minutes quicker when I was 40 in 2011 :)

Then I went through a divorce, and was lucky enough to meet the perfect man, who is now my husband. He is a qualified PT, although no longer works at a gym, but it meant I would add in some weights work with him in the gym - an area that had previously terrified me, but because he was with me and knew what he was doing, it was ok. I didn't do anything heavy, though - just started dabbling.

In 2013 I had a big ski accident followed by knee surgery and lots of rehab. Running was out, as was anything else high impact. I took up cycling and set challenges there instead. Still dabbled a little with the weights but only upper body while my lower body went through the healing/repair process.

Then last year, I went over the handlebars of my road bike and tore a rotator cuff.....even getting dressed became a chore. By this time, I was probably confined to spinning as being the only thing I could do safely while I recovered. My knee was getting stronger, but I couldn't even get my sports bra on without it being a major stress on my shoulders!

By the end of last year, though, I was starting to get back to fitness, with care - didn't want to do the weights so concentrated on the "fun" stuff - combat, pump etc. In June this year we got married, and for about 3 or 4 months the gym took a real back seat while we just enjoyed the wedding planning, honeymoon and seemed to continue our celebrations through the summer. By mid September we both realised that we were getting a little podgy and were missing the gym, so we joined a new place, and got back into it. I went straight back to the cardio classes thinking the post wedding weight would drop off, but it didn't budge one bit. I did, however, find that I was enjoying being in the weights room with hubby and my previous injuries weren't going to be as much of an inhibitor as I thought.....

So, I started reading threads on here, found that lifting was good, that there are loads of women my age (I'm 45) with bodies to die for, and that I could find a whole new way of eating and working out that might actually be better than the stuff I had done for 20ish years previously.

However....I get frustrated, I get bored, I am short on time (eg in the morning, my gym opens at 6.30 so I have to get the workout done, get showered, repark the car, and get to work by 8am - doesn't leave much time for a full workout, especially if the squat rack is in use, or the benches are all taken up). Hubby and I can only work out once a week together because our work lives clash, so most of the time I am on my own.

Therefore (and we are getting there), I started doing SL 5x5, but if the squat rack is busy for example, I don't necessarily have time to wait, and am in danger of getting frustrated. By having NRoL4W running alongside, I can mix and match the exercises if I need to - that way, if I can't do my prescribed session of SL, or can only do 2 out of the 3 exercises, I don't think I've failed, because I simply move over to NR and finish off my workout there.

Also, because I am still working on the strength in my shoulders after the bike accident, some exercises on some days just aren't *there*. So, instead of crying like a girl because I'm frustrated with myself, I will go and do a variation by switching over to the other programme instead for the rest of the session, perhaps with lighter weights or just a variation from the book.

It's probably frowned upon. I probably do what some people say is too much. But my body knows what is too much and I know that I am building strength and not overdoing it - I want to ski in January, not risk having to watch everyone else do it while I sit at the bottom of the slope.

So, for me it works so far - may not work so well when the weights get really heavy. I like the discipline of the programmes but need the flexibility to change a bit, so I don't risk quitting from frustration if that makes sense.

sorry for the very long ramble!!