Stage 1

Options

Replies

• SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda restarting, following knee issues and I am happy to announce that I have been active with stage one for a few weeks now. Major NSV when I managed to do 3 sets of deadlifts with 60kg. An increase from 30kg to 60kg in the space of 3 weeks. My squats etc. are much lighter as I'm being kind to my knees in the early days, but I am re-energised each time I lift, it's just amazing :o)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    @SuperJo1972 - Awesome job. I have to google the conversions but either way, nice work. :wink:

I should work on learning the kg stuff so I can know off the top of my head but it doesn't stick well in my memory for some reason. I wonder if there is an app for that on phones (conversions). hmmmm
  • Thisdivaruns
    Thisdivaruns Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    New to the program! I see this thread has been going on since 2011...any members from waaay back then who can weigh in on their results after finishing?
    I just started lifting a couple of weeks ago. I REALLY want to gain muscle definition, but I'm pretty sure I need to lose more weight. I've been stuck at 144-146 for over two months. I was eating 1200 calories and implementing hard core cardio (yes, everything Lou Schuler is against). I love running and doing Zumba on lifting days and going to FitCamp (kinda like a body combat class) three days a week on rest days. I'm training for my first half marathon and LOVE running Run Disney races! I just won a trip to Costa Rica in November to an adventure camp and am having mixed feelings about going. (Why am I putting this all out there?)
    Anyway, I have officially upped my calories to at least my resting cals (1500) but am wondering if I should eat more or less? I either haven't gotten to that part in the book, or he doesn't say. Has anyone else experienced weight loss sticking with your resting cals around 1500?
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    There is a nutrition part in the book before the workouts section, but they don't recommend much of a deficit, at least not at first. The book recommends people eat more at maintenance at least for the first four weeks, then assess if the numbers are accurate for maintenance. It's all in the chapter about "our meal plans can beat up their meal plans."

However, not everyone chooses to follow what they recommend. I've done the whole program at a deficit, I don't eat 5 meals a day and I don't have a shake post work out (I have one on days I work short shifts sometimes since I don't take lunch breaks but that's about it). Will depend on what you can do. Though I'm definitely one to say eat what you can and if you don't have much to lose it's going to be better at a lower deficit with slower results. I'm only 4'11.5" in height and I eat 1400-1700 depending on my activity for the day in order to lose roughly a lb a week right now. I have still at least 30 to lose but don't want to drop down to 1200 a day (before exercise even) and so far it's going quite well.

Hope that helps.
  • Thisdivaruns
    Options
    I got to that chapter today! Thanks Dawn! I see where he suggests not eating at a deficit for the first stage. I found my lifting days cals and my non lifting days cals. I will start from there! I drink protein shakes every day. I find that I am always short in protein, and this is a no fool approach to guarantee I will get the protein I need.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Glad you figured it out.

I always struggle with protein but I have to limit any whey consumption due to mild dairy allergy. So, I have a vegetable protein powder that is meh and just 16 grams of protein per serving. Going to try some different kinds once I get a little money cause I'm finally almost out of the one and I'm tired of vanilla. I like jerky at times too when it's on sale, though can't do that and another high sodium item on the same day. So no jerky and ramen at dinner, lol.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,937 Member
    Options
    Saw eye surgeon yesterday for a scheduled post-op check he is verrrrrry happy with my progress!

He cleared me for general activity!

No weightlifting for another week....i told him I am okay with waiting until i return from Europe.

:)

I can wear an eyepatch when the "blur" bothers me....when the eye gets tired....etc.

I see him again mid-August....when we will schedule next eye surgery (to remove the silicone oil).

Yahoo!!!
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I did week 1/workout B last night, and it was so good! I have been struggling to choose between this program and the Group Power/Body Pump class at my gym. My instructor didn't show up, so I got my lifting in. The first time didn't feel challenging enough and it made me doubt, but workout B was sooo hard (in a good way) and I think I'm ready to commit to NROLFW full time. :)

Here are my stats from last night (just for accountability and feedback):

Deadlift: 2x15, 65 lbs. (I think I did the Romanian Deadlift version???... I'm new to lifting, so I don't know the names of things yet)

Shoulder Press: 2x15, 50 lbs.

Wide-grip Lat Pull: 2x15, 70 lbs.

Lunge
    3x12, 30 lbs

Swiss Ball Crunch
    2x15, 12 lbs.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    @janiep81 - Nice work. And the Romanian is where you don't set it down on the ground each rep. I find I can lift more with traditional but like Romanian too. You will get used to it all soon. Nice start off and have fun. Trust me, each stage will have its own challenges and you're off to a good start.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    New to the program! I see this thread has been going on since 2011...any members from waaay back then who can weigh in on their results after finishing?
    I just started lifting a couple of weeks ago. I REALLY want to gain muscle definition, but I'm pretty sure I need to lose more weight. I've been stuck at 144-146 for over two months. I was eating 1200 calories and implementing hard core cardio (yes, everything Lou Schuler is against). I love running and doing Zumba on lifting days and going to FitCamp (kinda like a body combat class) three days a week on rest days. I'm training for my first half marathon and LOVE running Run Disney races! I just won a trip to Costa Rica in November to an adventure camp and am having mixed feelings about going. (Why am I putting this all out there?)
    Anyway, I have officially upped my calories to at least my resting cals (1500) but am wondering if I should eat more or less? I either haven't gotten to that part in the book, or he doesn't say. Has anyone else experienced weight loss sticking with your resting cals around 1500?

I run on my off days, and especially during stage one and didn't have much of a problem doing so, so you should be fine... the only thing I sometimes struggled with is running the day after deadlifts, because my calves were sometimes dead.

As far as diet, I tried to a 30:30:40 goal for macros but that put my protein at well over 100 grams a day and that just didn't sit well with my stomach; I constantly felt bloated and tired. I was eating about 1500 on running days and 1750 on lifting days.

However, just this past week (my week between stage 1 and 2) I started just eating what sounded good and felt right without tracking it too closely (I know that's a crazy step for several years in MFPer) and I feel better than I have in a long time. I also literally dropped a pant size in the past week and half from de-bloating. Obviously my body has some issues, but my point is, find a good point for you and use their nutritional section as guidelines if you find it's not working for you right off the bat. I still eat lots of protein, just not quite as much as is recommended.
  • jeenak
    jeenak Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just completed (sort of) my first Stage A workout. Except, the prone jacknife is my new enemy. HOW ON EARTH DOES ANYONE DO THIS?

I have a giant belly and short legs. I have weakish arms. I don't even know how to keep trying to see if I'll get better. I just roll off or face plant. I'd like to keep at it. (Happily, the only one judging me is my cat, at home.)

I can't even quite figure out how to 'mount' the ball! I've been trying to kneel onto it, and then walking my fingers out, but everything goes BAD very quickly. There is no notion of doing 8 reps. I can't even get into position to do ONE!

I hate giving up. And I'd like to know if I keep flinging myself at it, if I'll get anything even resembling success out of it. Or should I give up for now and do reverse crunches?

(I used to lift in a gym 3x a week with a trainer, but even then, I'm pretty certain I could NOT do this move. I've been out of practice for nearly a year, and hoping to get back on track with this lovely book, which I generally like, except for this EXERCISE FROM HELL!)

HELP! :) Please! :)
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    This helped me for getting on the stability ball.

https://youtu.be/o9msk1rnuHU

• Thisdivaruns
    Options
    mbcieslak87-
    As I'm on my last week of stage one, I've noticed that I am bloated quite a bit! I'm not sure if it's the protein or water from lifting. I've heard you retain water in the beginning as your muscles repair. I'm concerned that it's because I haven't been running as much. Hopefully, as I finish stage one the scale will move to its appropriate place because I'm still concerned about the calories. I can't gauge how I'm doing with them if I'm bloated! I did have my muscle and body fat measured, so I can go back next month and see if there's any difference. Good news is, I went to my doctors, and I officially weigh 15 pounds less than I did at 23!!!
  • Bor84
    Bor84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Started first workout of stage 1. Excited to start this program and to have found this group! :)
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm about half way through stage one. This week is tough though, because my schedule got changed around, so I'm only going to be able to do one workout, or do two back to back days....I'm thinking I should just do an all around lifting day, and then continue with the actual schedule next week. :/ Can anyone weigh in on schedule fluctuations and how they did/did not affect your progress? Logically, I know one week is probably not going to kill me, but I just hate not being on-point with something like a structured lifting program.
  • josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Can someone help me with figuring out the workouts?? I am so confused regarding workouts 1, 2, 3, 4 and workouts A and B... Wanting to start tomorrow. I know what exercises I am to do, Squat, pushup, seated row, step up and prone jacknife but not sure how I do the sets, I believe I do 4 sets, although a workout log I printed from werkit.com has 5 sets... Please help!!
  • harieta
    harieta Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Can someone help me with figuring out the workouts?? I am so confused regarding workouts 1, 2, 3, 4 and workouts A and B... Wanting to start tomorrow. I know what exercises I am to do, Squat, pushup, seated row, step up and prone jacknife but not sure how I do the sets, I believe I do 4 sets, although a workout log I printed from werkit.com has 5 sets... Please help!!

Have you managed to figure out the workouts?
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Just finished 2nd week of stage one ROAR
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,937 Member
    Options
    Yay!
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I just finished A1 Yay! Does any one have any suggestions on how to stay on the ball for the prone jackknifes? I watched the video and it was great at explaining how to get on the ball. I had a hard time staying on the ball. Mine were pretty ugly, I went one way and the ball went the other way :s