Stage 1

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    @Smallc10 I'm going to give it at least a try, though going to drop the weight since it's not quite a full deadlift anyways based on the videos I've seen as you're not meant to set it down on the ground each rep. I'll probably go more towards my bent-over row weights when trying it out tonight. Tough with your gym set up though, indeed. We have the flat steps with risers that can be added to vary the height for some of the fitness classes offered, so there will be plenty they just are on the other side of the gym from the deadlift spot. Hope the shoes work out for you. Right now I just use old sneakers cause it's what I have.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    @DawnEmbers - you'll have to let me know how it goes! My gym set up just isn't going to allow it sadly, oh well! I think I'll still see improvements with the regular old deadlift so I'm not too upset about it.

I wanted to post my improvements over the course of stage 1 - I was coming in to this from taking off almost 7 months from lifting due to a leg injury that had to be fixed with surgery, so basically starting from square 1.

Squat - 30 to 55 lbs
    Pushups - worked from a 60 degree down to a 30 degree
    Seated Row - 30 to 50 lbs
    StepUps - two 10 lb barbells to two 15 lbs barbells
    Deadlift - 30 to 75 lbs
    Shoulder Press - 10 to 17.5 lbs each arm
    Lat Pulls - 45 to 55 lbs
    Lunge - BW to 15 lbs each hand
    Swiss Ball - 10 to 20 lbs crunched

Hope that helps people see that progress can be made even if you haven't lifted before or if it has been quite a while :) Just have to make sure that you are always challenging yourself.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Oh yeah, good idea. Nice increases there @Smallc10, looks like a good bit of improvement.

While my squat and deadlift didn't improve weight wise compared to before my break after stronglifts, there was still some increases to be seen.

Squat - 95 to 120 (higher rep range that I was used to)
    Pushups - walkway rail to lower bench (don't know the angles)
    Seated Row - 50 to 70
    StepUps - 15 db to 22.5 db
    Deadlift - 135 to 155 (more reps and sets than I'd done before)
    Shoulder Press - 12.5 db to 20 db
    Lat Pulls - 50 to 70
    Lunge - 20 db to 25

Not bad for around a month and a half. That's from having done 12 weeks of stronglifts before starting the program, though had just over a week off between due to a cold. Still, stage 1 progress.
  • sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think my favourite thing about this program is that is so simple to follow and even though I still struggle with some of the exercises at workout 4, I can see the changes its making. Plus, at halfway through, my PT measure my body fat last night and I'm down 3%! My weight hasn't changed much, so I am sure it's all muscle. It pays to start off as a chubby weakling!

Did anyone make it through doing squats without the barbell? My PT said my form is perfect but I can't cope with using the bar for more than two squats because my left shoulder pops out. I really want to lift all the heavy things so I've been practising at home with a broom handle and increasing the dumbbell weight (18kg/40lb total) but they're killing my hands.

I also have a 10k coming up so I'm doing more cardio than recommended but have found that I have more endurance than before I started lifting so I'm ok with it.
  • GreenNetha1
    GreenNetha1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Week 1 is done! I need to figure out what I am doing wrong with Lunges because mine are pretty awkward/awful.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    So I started NROL4W on Monday. My stats are 5'6" 145 - mostly looking to lose a few lbs and definitely lose fat. Because I'm not a newbie lifter, I'm not likely to be able to really recomp, so I'm eating at a 500 deficit on off days and a 200 calorie deficit on lifting days and maintenance on weekend day a week so I can actually live a little, in hopes of dropping some weight... I'm not so concerned with building muscle, but rather keeping that I've already built up.
    I've already done 12 weeks of Stronglifts 5x5 so some of these lifts I'm great at, whereas others are new for me, but for all of them, it was kinda a toss up as to much I should lift for so many reps (obviously with Stronglifts I could squat and deadlift more, with only 5 reps at a time).
    Anyways here is what I did for my first A & B workouts and I definitely felt them without being sooooo exhausted that I couldn't complete the sets:
    1A - Monday
    Squats 2x15 @ 105lbs (breezed through the first set but definitely felt the second set)
    Superset:
    Pushup 1x15 normal pushups
    Seated Row 1x15 @ 40lbs (a little too easy)
    Pushup 1x15 normal pushups (not easy but not super hard - will try the T-pushups next time)
    Seated Row 1x15 @ (definitely felt this in my triceps the next day)
    Superset:
    Setup (onto bench press bench) 1x20 (10 on each leg) @ 25lbs (12.5lbs in each hand)
    Prone Jackknife 1x10
    Stepup 1x16 (8 on each leg) @ 30lbs (15lbs each hand)
    Prone Jackknife 1x10

Intervals - Tuesday
    5 minute warmup increasing from 3.2 to 3.5 on incline of 2
    then 5x1 minute intervals at 7.5 at incline of 3 (224 watts/14.1 mets) with 5x2 rest periods at 3.5 at incline of 3. LOVED these intervals!

Then, as the book advises, I took 5 minutes off before running an addition 3 miles at steady state @ 6.3, only because I have a couple half marathons planned later this year and don't want to completely stop steady state running. After the intervals at 7.5 on an incline these miles were pretty easy (except I'm getting over a cold, so my runny nose was annoying), which I hope means I will be able to increase my steady speed, as I have been able to in the past with interspersing intervals with my steady state - excited overall!

1B - Wednesday
    Deadlifts 2x15 @ 105lbs (this was a good weight for these reps, definitely felt it at the end each set)
    Superset:
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 1x15 @ 30lbs (15lbs in each hand; not super hard)
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 1x5 @ 40lbs then increased weight and 1x10 @ 45lbs
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 1x15 @ 30 lbs (15lbs in each; much harder this second set and nearly failed by the end)

Superset:
    Lunges (ewww... no bueno) 1x16 (8 on each side) with 40lbs (20lbs in each hand)
    Swiss Ball Crunch 1x10 (easy will try with weight next time)
    Lunges 1x16 (8 on each side) with 40lbs(20lbs in each side) (honestly hated these because lunges are just awkward, but more because my arms were tired by this point and just holding 20s by my side hurt... may try it with a barbell next time to relieve this)
    Swiss Ball Crunch 1x10 (again easy, hence the extra reps)

Anyways sorry for the ridiculously long post - I'm super excited to start this journey with so many amazing girls for inspiration on here (and my hubby, who is doing the regular NROL)

• GreenNetha1
    GreenNetha1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good luck mbcieslak87! I am new to lifting and this is my 2nd week. so far I am LOVING it. except for the lunges. I hate those.
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    I just did my second workout this morning. The lunges were rough!! I work out in my basement then shower on the second floor. I had a tough time making it to the shower :/ I imagine I will be sore tomorrow!! I'm at work now and feel exhausted! I didn't feel this way after my first day.

Do any of you feel extra tired after lifting when its that TOM? I may need an extra cup of coffee to get myself moving this morning. I'm used to working out but usually do videos like T25 or JIllian Michaels. I don't think I've ever felt so tired like this though! Probably just starting a new workout and TOM combination I imagine.

Well I'm excited to be starting this workout and will keep checking in to see everyone's progress and look for any tips!
  • mbcieslak87
    Options
    Thanks GreenNetha1! I am definitely feeling it all today - am planning on just doing 20 minutes of intervals at lunch and leaving it at that - will wait to steady state again until Saturday!

It seems we all agree that lunges are the worst! And I have to say, my abs are still sore from prone jackknife on Monday - which I am loving! I rarely do abs, and its so great to really feel them working!

Sarahharas5 - I've personally found that my cardio workouts are actually better during TOM but my lifting workouts struggle - I have no idea why, but that's just what I have found over the years, so that might have something to do with it! However, having done my second workout yesterday (and lifted previously with Stronglifts), it's not my TOM and I am still dead tired today despite 8 hours last night... not super sore, but my limbs just feel like lead. I can't wait for my third work out tomorrow though - especially since there are no lunges! :wink:
  • Aodsdj15
    Aodsdj15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So, I'm finally going to start stage 1 tomorrow. I'm nervous because it is a new gym and I don't really know where everything is. I've been doing strength training with a group once or twice a week for almost 2 years but this will be on my own. I also have very little experience with the barbell. I was a member of a small women's only gym last year and we used the barbell a little. I have to admit, I'm intimidated about sharing the weight room with guys and I didn't think I would be. Maybe I'm just scared of the unfamiliar. I guess I'm also worried that I will be using a machine/space that someone else is waiting for while I try to figure out what I'm doing.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Nice to see others starting the program. A bit belated but: welcome.

Don't forget you can post your workouts in the daily chat thread. We all like to cheer each other on no matter how much you can lift. It's a good accountability spot too.

Stage 1 seems so far away now. I actually found I like lunges more now, in the other stages with the static lunge and bulgarian split squat (which is basically a lunge), far more than the ones from Stage 1. So, yeah, you get to do more lunges throughout the whole program, that's what I'm saying. But you'll get to try other things that may become your new least favorite. lol

@Aodsdj15 - don't worry about being in someone's way really or using something they might want. Have to remember that you have just as much of a right to be there and use the equipment as you do. Will it be awkward on occasion? Sure. But it's over after a short time and soon forgotten. We need to be courteous but not sacrifice our own lifts just because someone else is in the same area too.

Though I will admit it was really awkward when the guy had to wait right behind me to finish so he could use equipment I was near. I had tried to be out of the way for others but he was nice enough to wait. Just very awkward when I'm bent over doing romanian deadlift/bent-over row...

Many are nice and will either wait or go find something else to do until the equipment is available. And most are too wrapped up in themselves to worry about what we're doing except the occasion glance. :wink:

• Aodsdj15
    Aodsdj15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day. It went pretty fast. I felt silly adding my 5 pound weights to the barbell for my squat but it probably was actually the correct weight (55 lbs) for me. For the other excersizes, I will have to increase the weights next week.

Oh, and my butt is already a little sore.
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I just started last week and have done 3 workouts so far.

Starting weights were:

Squats - 45 lbs
    Push-ups - 15 regular
    Seated Row - 50 lbs
    Step-ups - 24 lb body bar
    Prone Jackknives - 15 each

Deadlift - 60 lbs
    Shoulder Press - 12 lb dumbbells
    Lateral pull down - Forgot to write weight!!!
    Lunges - with 15 lb kettlebells
    Swiss ball crunches - 15 with a 25lb plate.

I'm feeling really good overall, but the one thing I couldn't understand in the book was the intervals. How are you supposed to work those into your workout???

I know what an interval is, but wasn't sure how they fit in.

I also warm-up for 5 minutes on the stairmaster and end the workout with a quick 1/2 mile sprint.

I look forward to adding weight!!!
  • mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just finished my 2nd week of Stage 1! That jack knife is crazy! I don't have free weights so substituting with my bowflex. It doesn't work great for the squats but I am doing the best I can! Luckily I haven't been overly sore.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Squats with bow flex would be interesting to see, have to admit.
    hollyhom wrote: »
    I'm feeling really good overall, but the one thing I couldn't understand in the book was the intervals. How are you supposed to work those into your workout???

I don't have the book at the moment, coworker borrowed, but I think the intervals were the cardio recommendations. I never followed that and do my cardio on different days as I've been training to jog a 5k. If doing it on same day as lifting, it's recommended to do it after lifting so that you have enough energy for the weights. If you have time after, some found them too long to begin with at times through the stages, intervals using cardio could work but if you don't follow them, that's probably okay too. I find I'm at the gym for over an hour just with the lifting, so it's helpful to do my cardio on mon-wed-fri when I lift tues-thurs-sat and they can be the focus of my energy on the given days.
  • amy_j28
    amy_j28 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just purchased the book not too long ago, and have been reading through it. I'm sure this has been answered- but 100+ pages were too many to scroll through (especially because I want to keep reading!! :smile: ) -

I'm concerned about the calories- currently I'm eating right around 1500 a day. My TDEE on another site was around 1800. I'm 5'3" and weight 174 (my goal is to get down to a healthy BMI below 140 lbs).

Did you find that keeping at the maintenance calorie calculation worked best, or should I cut the 300 cals/day? Thanks in advance, I can't wait to start the program!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    amy_j28 wrote: »
    Hello! I just purchased the book not too long ago, and have been reading through it. I'm sure this has been answered- but 100+ pages were too many to scroll through (especially because I want to keep reading!! :smile: ) -

I'm concerned about the calories- currently I'm eating right around 1500 a day. My TDEE on another site was around 1800. I'm 5'3" and weight 174 (my goal is to get down to a healthy BMI below 140 lbs).

Did you find that keeping at the maintenance calorie calculation worked best, or should I cut the 300 cals/day? Thanks in advance, I can't wait to start the program!

Welcome!

The nutrition will be in part personal preference and where you stand towards your goals. For some, it will work out better to focus on composition, which is where eating around maintenance and lifting does well even though it can be slow to see the progress. Lifting in a deficit is good to keep muscle and enjoy slight gains of new lifters but for the most part it's keep muscle and try to lose fat. Strength gains can stall a little faster on a deficit as well but one can still increase strength a fair amount, especially if newer to lifting.

I have not followed the nutrition part of the book. I started stage 1 in February after spending 12 weeks following the Stronglifts program on a deficit. I use the numbers MFP gives with my activity setting at lightly active because I'm on my feet at work moving around all shift. I do eat back some of my exercise calories but I put lifting at 30 minutes when it takes over 60 and such to help not overestimate calorie burns. Back when I started stage 1, I weighed around 174. Between calorie deficit, lifting and training for 5k, I'm now in Stage 5 at 155 (and I'm 4'11.5" so still slightly obese but almost to the overweight range). Still have more to lose but making slow progress. My calories tend to range from 1400-1600 with some days outside on either end depending on situation. I'm hoping to keep active enough to not need to drop to 1200 but we'll see what the future holds.

Good luck figuring out the best range for you and your goals.
  • mbcieslak87
    Options
    Just finished stage 1 yesterday - have AMRAP tomorrow and Thursday and then a week off from lifting where I will just focus on light cardio and yoga - so excited.

I have noticed general tone everywhere increase but especially in my stomach... granted I have always slimmed down in my stomach first, but lately had been putting weight on there when I never had before. Because I was not really "new" to lifting I have added in some extra stuff here and there at the end of my works after the first four A and first four B just to make sure I was really pushing myself.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Just finished stage 1 yesterday - have AMRAP tomorrow and Thursday and then a week off from lifting where I will just focus on light cardio and yoga - so excited.

I have noticed general tone everywhere increase but especially in my stomach... granted I have always slimmed down in my stomach first, but lately had been putting weight on there when I never had before. Because I was not really "new" to lifting I have added in some extra stuff here and there at the end of my works after the first four A and first four B just to make sure I was really pushing myself.

Nice Job. I have too much fluff to see definition in stomach but it's fun to hear about the different successes others in the group have. I added stuff in stages 2-5. I missed regular bench press and had a couple areas/accessories I wanted to do. Well, and I skipped a few cause the 35 plate is too awkward to hold on the swiss ball crunch and 25 was too easy. Anyways. Enjoy your week off.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options

Nice Job. I have too much fluff to see definition in stomach but it's fun to hear about the different successes others in the group have. I added stuff in stages 2-5. I missed regular bench press and had a couple areas/accessories I wanted to do. Well, and I skipped a few cause the 35 plate is too awkward to hold on the swiss ball crunch and 25 was too easy. Anyways. Enjoy your week off.