Stage 1

Options

Replies

• JoanMSittler
    JoanMSittler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread for all of us in Stage one. I just started this week . I have more reading to do to see the progression. will try and do that this weekend. I tend not to rest much between my sets. I read a little on that on what was said about that but once again, will do a reread on everything this weekend. I am breaking some rules already, because of scheduling, I am doing workout yesterday and today. This will also happen again next week as we are away for out holiday weekend here in Canada. Family day. A great winter break. We will be using it for Winter activities. Snow sledding, cross country skiing, ice fishing, and whatever else we can find to do at the cabin.. I look forward to the wood stove after days of outside activities. So Workouts next week will be Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Have a great weekend everyone.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    The rests don't look too bad but I just went through 12 weeks of stronglifts, so by the end I needed to take 3-5 minutes between sets. I understood the usefulness of the rest as the weights get quite heavy after a while, but still struggled with the whole nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs as I waited for my next set aspect. At least I had music to listen to during the time. Switching to one that is just 1 minute between sets will feel much faster, I'm guessing.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    The prone jackknife was indeed an interesting move. I didn't fall but my right leg slipped off in the middle of my second set. I'm glad I looked up a couple videos today before work as they helped me remember how to do them. This one video also had an easy enough method for getting on and off the ball.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=o9msk1rnuHU
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I had to miss my workout yesterday due to weather and it's looking like I'm going to miss it today as well because of snow! It's making it really difficult. I have a stationary bike at home so I'll probably hop on that, but it's not even close to lifting. It's just so cold and the roads are pure ice here. I'm hoping the wind dies down and they are able to salt soon, but it isn't looking good.
  • JoanMSittler
    Options
    Weekend over. My body did need the break. Back at it this morning.
  • Smallc10
    Options
    Finished my last workout of the week, finally down to 12 reps from 15 which is a relief. I was really able to crank up the weight today which was awesome. I think my body will need the rest this weekend although I'm pretty excited to go rock climbing for the first time in a couple of years on Sunday. Hopefully the squats have helped me out for that!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Woot! Good job Smallc10.

I'm looking forward to the 12 reps and the 8 reps. Almost to 12, just need to get workout B2 done tomorrow night.
  • JoanMSittler
    Options
    Good work Smallc I haven't got my last weight workout in yet today. Still MAY happen.
  • Smallc10
    Options
    Thanks!

You're so close Dawn! 12 reps is so much better! It's also nice that I've managed to memorize the two workouts now so I don't have to carry my clipboard around with me and I can just fill in the weights later. Much better!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Thanks. :smiley: I made it through the sets of 15. Next time... 12. Woot!

I like having my little notebook with me when I'm lifting and it gives me something to do on occasion during rests as I keep my phone in my bag in the locker.
  • JoanMSittler
    Options
    Today I increase weights. I'm not sure how next week will go for exercise. Tomorrow I have surgery so not sure how that or the recovery will proceed next week. I an having a laser and dilation on a tracheae stenosis. I've had it before and will need it again in the future. The stenosis blocks the airway. I am now 70% blocked so am really looking forward to easier breathing after Monday. This condition does definitely effect my workouts. I am hoping for a quick recovery and doing my B3 by Wednesday. Time will tell
  • LilithNoor
    Options
    I'm in my second proper week and generally enjoying it. I can't do the jacknifes (core too weak, wrists toi unstable) and wonder why there's no easier alternative like there is for pushups. I saw someone suggest plank to downward dog as an alternative so will be trying that until I build up my strength
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Half way through stage one. It's fun so far, definitely different compared to stronglifts. I do grumble on occasion in trying to find the things I need during parts of it since the steps and such can be located at different parts of the gym on any given day, but overall it's a good workout. Glad to be getting to the lower reps though.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just started today - it all went well and I really enjoyed it! Excited to go back on Wednesday and do my first Workout B. The thing I found hardest was getting my feet up onto the ball to start the jacknifes. I ended up putting my knees on the floor and then hooking my feet up on the ball and pushing up onto my hands. Actually doing the move was ok - took lots of concentration though! Any tips on how to get into position?!
  • Smallc10
    Options
    I find for me the easiest is starting with the ball behind me putting my arms in to plank and putting one foot on the ball at a time. It takes concentration but is easier for me than the traditional roll forward on the ball method.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    That one can be tough. I followed a video I saw on youtube for the pronejacknife. I start standing and put one ankle on the ball (I pick the smaller ones at the gym for it cause I'm short) and then hop a little out before getting down on my hands and putting the other foot up. Probably looks weird but oh well. I like them more than the crunches even though they are more awkward and difficult.

I have 2 sessions left of stage one. Think I'll start stage two in the beginning of April. Seems like a good starting point. Gives me a little over a week off but I will be out of town 31st-2nd with my grandparents and a couple days after the AMRAP workouts, I may just relax and just try a few things ahead of time.

Flissbo - Have fun with stage 1.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips ladies :-) Just off to do my first workout B! Really surprised how much I've been looking forward to it all day yesterday
  • Smallc10
    Options
    My last day of stage 1 - I'm going to miss it as Stage 2 frightens me just a little. Tomorrow I'm going to go to the gym and just figure out where all the equipment is and have my husband do some form checks on me for the new lifts (He has been lifting for years and really knows his stuff). Good luck with the rest of stage 1 everyone!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    @Smallc10 I am doing the same. My last AMRAP was Tuesday, so tonight after work since I'm not going to start Stage 2 until April (have a mini vacation 31-2), I am going to just figure out where all the stuff is kept and try out the different lifts that we will be doing next. Be good to know in general where to find what is needed. I foresee some aspects of awkward, like carrying the step from the classroom over to the deadlift area and I'm glad I don't go at peak times.
  • Smallc10
    Options
    @ Dawn - good plan! I actually have decided I'm not going to do the deadlifts from the box. I know, shame! But I've been having enough trouble not rounding my back when I pick up the bar off the floor during a regular deadlift so until i get that down I'm hesitant to add more inches of issue to this lift. I can also see it being very difficult to get a hold of a step seeing as we have 1 in our entire gym and it is on the second floor in the 'women's only' section of the gym (They seriously only have dumbells up to 20 lbs and some stupid machines in there. It is a nice place to stretch though because it's quiet) I actually just bought lifting shoes so I'm going to test those out tonight and hope they help with my front squats.