Stage 1

Options

Replies

• LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi :-)
    I've worked my way through to Stage 5 earlier this year, but it's been a couple of months since I last lifted so I've taken myself back to the start. I can't believe how much stronger I am compared to the last time I started Stage 1 (last September). I'm looking forward to some amazing results this time ;-)
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Finished stage 1 today!

I felt I made the most progress on:

Squat 65 to 100
    Step up 20 lb dumbbells to 30
    Dumbbell shoulder press 15 to 25

Looking forward to Stage 2!
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions for alternative step ups? The gym I go to does not have any benches and I've tried to use some of the weight machines but nothing feels comfortable enough for me to start on. The weight benches are too tall. I've been using the leg press machine as a replacement but not even sure if it works the same muscle. Anyone have any suggestions. I wish they had the step benches in the aerobic room but this gym doesn't.

Thanks!
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I started step ups on the actual stairs at my gym - You could try if your gym has stairs. It was a bit of a pain because people would want to use the stairs to go up, but trainer said I could use stairs for that so I felt ok w it.

Are you saying your gym does not have aerobic steps? Seems weird. I usually have to remove a step from the aerobics area and take up to free weight area - a pain, but I guess a lot of men who use the free weight area don't do a lot of leg work.

Or you could save step ups till you get home and just use dumbbells at home, not great due to delay but better than not doing them.

I've used a bench but they can be spongy so watching balance becomes important. If you have nice flat weight training shoes it's easier, if you are in running shoes it's like double sponge!

Good luck!
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yea I thought it was weird too that the aerobics room at no step benches either. Thanks maybe I'll try doing them when I do my lunch hour walk I just won't have any weights. But as you said better than nothing.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hmm, your gym doesn't have plyo boxes? Most gyms seem to have a set of these in varying heights. If not, try requesting them as they seem to be pretty essential equipment!

As for alternatives--would you be able to use a chair? If you put it against the wall it will be a little more sturdy.
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Home Depot has a fold up single step step stool that would be easy to take into the gym and would be easy to store in the trunk. Don't know if it would be too short or they might have different heights.
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I hope it's ok to jump in here and say hi. I'm a 47 year old mom of 2 grown kids and a 10 year old stepson. I've let myself get pretty out of shape over the last few years, and am ready to do something about it. I've been lurking for a while and am ready to actually do something. I've bought the book and read it through several times, and I have an appointment with a trainer at the YMCA to show me how to do all of the lifts correctly. I'm having some anxiety about looking like I have no idea what I'm doing, being in the way, etc. But planning to go very early in the morning when few people are around and just do it. Love this group and all of the fantastic experience and information shared.
    Thanks!
    Robin
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, Finished stage one last night, I will do AMRAPS next week. It took me almost 8 weeks since there were weeks I could only workout 2 times instead of three. I learned about this program and lifting in general here on MFP, so thankful I found those threads, bought the book, put down the barbiebells for "toning" and got into the weight room. I struggle with being obese, and trying to lose weight too. During the program I upped my calories and over the last 8 weeks, I still lost weight. It seems slow, but then again it was still a pound per week. I also do a HIIT workout 3x per week and walk a mile or two a couple of times a week.

SW 217 - CW 209
    I lost 3" on my waist, 2 inches on my hips, none on bust, thighs and arms, although I swear they don't jiggle as much as they used to! And for the first time in my life, I kind of like my butt, it's not flat anymore, actually has some definition to it.

Starting and ending stats

Squat 65# - 135#
    DL 65# - 145#
    Seated row 60# -115#
    lat pull-down 50# -100#
    step up 12.5# - 25#
    dumbbell shoulder 15# - 25#
    lunge 15# - 25#
    pushups 15 knees - 15 full
    plank 30 sec - 60 sec (still a struggle for 60 seconds)

As much as I am looking forward to stage 2, I'm a little nervous about learning new moves just when I was feeling comfortable with the routine and lifts in stage one!
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Loconnor those are some badass numbers - you go! Congrats!
  • jdavis341
    jdavis341 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi everybody,
    I started NROL4W last week and I finished B2 this morning. I really like the program so far and am excited to see the results at the end. Out of everything I think pushups and lunges are my weakest exercises. I have poor upper body strength and I usually do girl pushups. But I'm steering clear of those, so I do them using the weight bench. Lunges... ugh I just dread doing them. My balance needs some work; I feel like I'm gonna topple over constantly! I suffer down to the very last one.

I did notice today that I've been doing the ab work wrong. For both the prone jack knife and the Swiss ball crunch I've been doing 15 not 8. So I'm thinking I probably shouldn't take a step backwards. I'm going to increase them by 2 reps after every 2nd workout to eventually get to 20 reps by the end of stage 1. What do you guys think? I'm not feeling anything from the Swiss ball crunch so I am thinking about replacing that all together.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Doing 1A4 tonight! I can't believe how quickly things are progressing. I am having so much fun with lifting. I have always loathed cardio, so this suits me beautifully. Any thoughts or suggestions, I am open to learning. I have a history of overtraining when I enjoy something and typically end up with repetitive stress injuries. I can't tell you how hard it has been to make sure that I am training no more than three times per week.

JDavis, after workout 4, the swiss-ball crunch and jackknife become 3 sets of 12/15. I didn't find that the crunch was doing much either, but on the next page in the book it shows you how to add weight. I found that throwing a 50lb plate on my chest makes a big difference (I worked up to it though). Just some thoughts. I also have trouble with my balance on the lunges.
  • jdavis341
    Options
    I want to post some quick results from A2 and B2. I'm starting B3 on Friday.

Stage 1 A2
    Squat: 60lbs the fist set I could only do 10 and 13 on the 2nd set. I felt my form breaking and didn't want to risk injury.
    Pushups: I was able to complete the 15 using a weight bench as my incline.
    Rows: 35lbs/15 for both sets
    Step-up: 30lb each hand/15 both sets
    Prone jack knife: 15 reps both sets

Stage 1 B2
    Deadlift: 95/12 95/15
    DB shoulder press: 20lb each hand/15
    Lat pull down: 42.5/15
    Lunges: 15lb each hand/15
    Swiss ball crunch: 15 reps both sets
  • loconnor466
    Options
    Hi everybody,
    I started NROL4W last week and I finished B2 this morning. I really like the program so far and am excited to see the results at the end. Out of everything I think pushups and lunges are my weakest exercises. I have poor upper body strength and I usually do girl pushups. But I'm steering clear of those, so I do them using the weight bench. Lunges... ugh I just dread doing them. My balance needs some work; I feel like I'm gonna topple over constantly! I suffer down to the very last one.

I did notice today that I've been doing the ab work wrong. For both the prone jack knife and the Swiss ball crunch I've been doing 15 not 8. So I'm thinking I probably shouldn't take a step backwards. I'm going to increase them by 2 reps after every 2nd workout to eventually get to 20 reps by the end of stage 1. What do you guys think? I'm not feeling anything from the Swiss ball crunch so I am thinking about replacing that all together.

I just want to let you guys know that there is also a fantastic facebook page for NROL! The authors of the book have even done a live Q&A with us on there! There is all kinds of updated info on there. Alwyn now advises to replace crunches with planks

CRUNCHES Jan. 7, 2014 I asked Alwyn if there were any other changes to the NROLFW other than doing planks instead of crunches. He said: "That's about the only change where I do not recommend the old program at all. That said, there's a lot of updates to the workouts overall, but it's only the spinal flexion stuff that I'd want people to avoid. There are lots of way more effective core exercises in NROL4A (Abs) - planks, side planks, val slide push aways etc." From a speed coaching session: "I'm not concerned about avoiding it (spinal flexion) as much as I am about not using that as the primary focus (ie crunches). The research is clear - the stability type exercises activate MORE muscle than crunches. Spinal flexion movements mean less activation therefore less effective for our goals." -Alwyn Cosgrove

Guidelines

Holding a plank for a period of time is "one set". So, as an example, instead of doing 15 crunches you hold a plank for as long as you can.Once you can hold a plank or side plank for 60 to 90 seconds you can move on to variations.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Is it normal when you start to be able to squat more than you can deadlift?! I definitely have some muscle imbalances that I'm hoping lifting fixes. My abs are weak and I can definitely squat much more than I can deadlift. Anyone else have this problem? Did it resolve as you continued to lift?

What is the facebook page link?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,

I just want to let you guys know that there is also a fantastic facebook page for NROL! The authors of the book have even done a live Q&A with us on there! There is all kinds of updated info on there. Alwyn now advises to replace crunches with planks

CRUNCHES Jan. 7, 2014 I asked Alwyn if there were any other changes to the NROLFW other than doing planks instead of crunches. He said: "That's about the only change where I do not recommend the old program at all. That said, there's a lot of updates to the workouts overall, but it's only the spinal flexion stuff that I'd want people to avoid. There are lots of way more effective core exercises in NROL4A (Abs) - planks, side planks, val slide push aways etc." From a speed coaching session: "I'm not concerned about avoiding it (spinal flexion) as much as I am about not using that as the primary focus (ie crunches). The research is clear - the stability type exercises activate MORE muscle than crunches. Spinal flexion movements mean less activation therefore less effective for our goals." -Alwyn Cosgrove

Guidelines

Holding a plank for a period of time is "one set". So, as an example, instead of doing 15 crunches you hold a plank for as long as you can.Once you can hold a plank or side plank for 60 to 90 seconds you can move on to variations.

Very interesting. Thank-you for this. I rarely go on FaceBook and was actually thinking about deleting it altogether. I will see if there is a website I can check for updates such as these.
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Is it normal when you start to be able to squat more than you can deadlift?! I definitely have some muscle imbalances that I'm hoping lifting fixes. My abs are weak and I can definitely squat much more than I can deadlift. Anyone else have this problem? Did it resolve as you continued to lift?

What is the facebook page link?

IMHO, that is totally reasonable. Most women have stronger legs than arms. We partially supporting the weight along the shoulders,
  • jdavis341
    Options
    Had to take a few days off because of pain and tightness in my left hip. Every time I walked I walked I could feel a pop in my hip as well as a little pain. As any one else had a similar experience? It feels alot better now, so I'm going to resume my workouts tomorrow. I should add that I have very tight legs, so maybe that contributed to the hip tightness. I have to stretch/foamroll for 15-20 mins before my workouts.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Did anyone skip the weeks off between stages? I feel like if I take a week off I might lose my motivation.
  • loconnor466
    Options
    Did anyone skip the weeks off between stages? I feel like if I take a week off I might lose my motivation.

I feel the same way. This is supposed to be my rest week between stage 1 and stage 2. I have a powerlifting training session tonight and I am so tempted to just jump into stage 2 this week!