• redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Anytime Pudding!
  • manny1991
    manny1991 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

I just started NRolfW and have been doing it for a few weeks now. I've kinda been creeping this thread for tips and advice, so thank you all for your input! I've been too shy to post my stats so far, but I am going to be doing workout A-5 tomorrow and had a question.

So, tomorrow I'm moving from 2 sets of 12 to 3 sets of 10 and I was wondering if I should also be upping my weight as well. How did you ladies go about increasing your sets? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am very new to this. I do have to say that I am loving the program! Love at first Lift! <3
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

I just started NRolfW and have been doing it for a few weeks now. I've kinda been creeping this thread for tips and advice, so thank you all for your input! I've been too shy to post my stats so far, but I am going to be doing workout A-5 tomorrow and had a question.

So, tomorrow I'm moving from 2 sets of 12 to 3 sets of 10 and I was wondering if I should also be upping my weight as well. How did you ladies go about increasing your sets? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am very new to this. I do have to say that I am loving the program! Love at first Lift! <3

From what I understand we up the weights whenever the reps decrease, or beforehand if we are able.
    I just did B2 today. And then went horse riding afterwards, I can feel my muscles tightening up already. tomorrow I am going to hurt!
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

I'm a bit different in that I try to up my weights by 5lbs every time I lift. Not always successful but I'm always trying.
  • DouMc
    Options
    Hey ladies!

I'm a bit different in that I try to up my weights by 5lbs every time I lift. Not always successful but I'm always trying.

I think thats a good idea because it stops you from getting complacent and makes sure that you keep pushing yourself. Today I did A3 but came away from the gym feeling very annoyed. I go to a small gym and there is only one power cage (is that what they are called?) and no squat rack. When I got to the gym 2 guys were working out at the power cage so I decided to change up the order of the routine (again) and do my squats when the cage was free. Fast forward 50 minutes later, the same two guys were still hogging the machine. I had to do my squats in the smith machine. And what really bugs me is that they knew I was waiting for it, when I finished my warm up they were sitting beside it so I asked if it was free. So annoying!!
  • presckooldropout
    presckooldropout Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Just finished Workout B-3, really loving how much this program challenges me! I was wondering, how long did it take before you all started noticing differences in the way your body looked (i.e. seeing muscle definition or losing inches)?

Thanks!
  • DouMc
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Just finished Workout B-3, really loving how much this program challenges me! I was wondering, how long did it take before you all started noticing differences in the way your body looked (i.e. seeing muscle definition or losing inches)?

Thanks!

Good question! I am also just finished B3 so no changes here yet. I wont be near the gym for the next week so won't get to do A4 till Thursday at the earliest! :explode:
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Thanks!

Good question! I am also just finished B3 so no changes here yet. I wont be near the gym for the next week so won't get to do A4 till Thursday at the earliest! :explode:

I just started 3 weeks ago so not a lot of change yet except - the chicken wings now tighten up when I flex my biceps. Gotta find encouragement where you can LOL.
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    hi everyone--my name is Amanda and i just did my very first NROL4W workout this morning! i'm usually a cardio nut--i really enjoy running 5k races--but i've been trying to incorporate some strength training into my routine. i always stayed on the cardio side of the gym until this week, too nervous to even explore the strength side. but i met with a trainer on monday morning who helped get me familiar with some machines and form on some exercises, and completed workout 1a this morning. definitely a weakling, but glad i got it done. gotta start somewhere, right?

squats - smith machine
    1 x 15 - bar only warmup - 20 lbs
    2 x 15 - 30 lbs

pushups
    1 x 15 pushups on the 18" high bench--too high! could only do 5 at a time & really struggled
    1 x 15 pushups on a higher incline on like a half-wall (no idea what degree incline)

seated rows
    2 x 15 - 40 lbs

step-ups
    2 x 15 - 20 lbs, stepping on 18" bench. think i could've held more weight if the step wasn't so high

planks (substituted for prone jackknives, which i was way too embarrassed to attempt at the gym)
    2 reps, 25 secs and 30 secs
  • DouMc
    Options
    hi everyone--my name is Amanda and i just did my very first NROL4W workout this morning! i'm usually a cardio nut--i really enjoy running 5k races--but i've been trying to incorporate some strength training into my routine. i always stayed on the cardio side of the gym until this week, too nervous to even explore the strength side. but i met with a trainer on monday morning who helped get me familiar with some machines and form on some exercises, and completed workout 1a this morning. definitely a weakling, but glad i got it done. gotta start somewhere, right?

squats - smith machine
    1 x 15 - bar only warmup - 20 lbs
    2 x 15 - 30 lbs

pushups
    1 x 15 pushups on the 18" high bench--too high! could only do 5 at a time & really struggled
    1 x 15 pushups on a higher incline on like a half-wall (no idea what degree incline)

seated rows
    2 x 15 - 40 lbs

step-ups
    2 x 15 - 20 lbs, stepping on 18" bench. think i could've held more weight if the step wasn't so high

planks (substituted for prone jackknives, which i was way too embarrassed to attempt at the gym)
    2 reps, 25 secs and 30 secs

Congratulations on getting started. And don't worry about the weight, as long as it is heavy for you! I started at about the same and have gone up a bit but still use pretty tiny weights. Although I just did workout B5 and I am up to 90lbs deadlift so I am pretty happy with that!
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting started. And don't worry about the weight, as long as it is heavy for you! I started at about the same and have gone up a bit but still use pretty tiny weights. Although I just did workout B5 and I am up to 90lbs deadlift so I am pretty happy with that!

WOW! 90 lb deadlift is super impressive! i just peaked ahead at the stage 2 workouts, and they look pretty scary at this point. i'm a bit sore from yesterday's workout, but looking forward to trying my first 1B workout tomorrow. i'll just try and do my best with stage 1 before i go worrying about stage 2!
  • Point202
    Point202 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hello! Thought I should post here, since I've just started Stage 1 last weekend. A1 went pretty well, but B1 not so much. I had some serious trouble with lunges due to bad knees. I've got to find something to substitute, and I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions.
  • DouMc
    Options
    Hello! Thought I should post here, since I've just started Stage 1 last weekend. A1 went pretty well, but B1 not so much. I had some serious trouble with lunges due to bad knees. I've got to find something to substitute, and I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions.

Sorry I have no suggestions for lunge alternatives. I hate them but my knees can (just about) withstand them so I carry on. let me know if you think of anything.

Starlite, I haven't looked at stage 2, im kinda nervous so I am avoiding it!!
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    New to the group and starting Stage 1 tomorrow!

I have been in the gym a lot in the past year but am only now starting to get back into lifting. Was doing TRX (which I love) and running.

I just had a session with my trainer to go over form and any moves I had questions on and have taken my "before" pics (Even though I'm 21 pounds down :happy: ). Excited to start!
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Figured I would post here also, starting tonight (probably). Need to get some before pics. I have lost over 110# so far, and hoping weight training will help me get through the last 10-12.

I run, alot. Not really for burns, but because I enjoy running. But, I sprained my foot at my half marathon a couple weeks ago, and have been unable to run for nearly 2 weeks now.

So, ya. A little nervous about heading to the weight room at my gym, I usually attend classes (yoga, piyo, or spinning). My gym is small, and I am hoping to have space if I go this evening.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it goes rzarley! I run 5ks a few times a week and plan to keep that up as long as I feel reasonably good.

Although I'm sure it's not too difficult, the only thing I'm having trouble planning in workout 1A is the seated row. My gym has plenty of cable machines but I don't recall one with a seat... Will figure something out!

I am actually starting 1A tonight--had planned for yesterday but tonight works better for me to space the workouts apart.
  • girlcalledryan
    Options
    I did it, I was too timid to approach the squat box so I did dumbell squats. My fiance is going with me the next few times to help me learn to load the barbell and use the rack.

It went pretty well! I fell off the stupid ball doing the jackknifes and hurt my knee, but it was good!

Lili, did you go? If your gym has a cable machine without a seat it probably has an adjustable cable that you could move to about the floor and then sit. You could use a weight plate as a footstop. My gym's cable machine is very elaborate and luckily has exactly what i needed.
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I have held off posting until I was more confident about sticking with NROL - yesterday finished 1b5 and it was really feeling tired today - moving up to three sets really made a big difference in effort. I started this once before, last year but never made it this far. I'm looking forward to getting to stage 2 this time (and more)

Numbers not all that impressive but I have seen a difference in strength - here is where I'm at after 1a5 and 1b5 on some of the key ones:

Deadlift - 70x10
    Squat - 60x10
    Rows - 80x10
    overheads - 30x10
    Lunges 15 each hand x10
    Prone jackknifes not a problem
    Pushups - on track but at an incline - maybe 35 degrees?
  • girlcalledryan
    Options
    Ari, great job! 1b5 is 5 weeks in, right? I think you're pretty much in. I finished 1b1 today. I am excited to start adding weight.