Stage 1

Options

Replies

• actiontime26
    actiontime26 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, i'm a new user of this workout program and I love it!! I did some heavy lifting with Chalean Xtreme. I loved so much that i didnt finish the program when i got back to the compound moves ( my body felt weird doing those moves. I was afraid i would injure myself). By navigating on MFP, I saw women recommanding the book New rule. I read it and I knew immediately that i had to try it. So after 2 weeks, i can already see results! I though i was crazy but i ask my Bf if he saw what i saw. He confirm it. My legs are getting slimmer!!! The most problematic, most shameful part of myself is getting slimmer! I can't believe it! And as a bonus, im losing weight! Ive being careful of what i eat. Cut down on the sweets and fast food. Im not calculating my intake. I eat want im hungry basically.I cant wait to see my body in 6 months :) Im a the only one getting results that fast?
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Nope. When I first started the program back in April I lost 3.25 inches in the first 3 weeks.
  • actiontime26
    Options
    Nope. When I first started the program back in April I lost 3.25 inches in the first 3 weeks.
    Amazing! Whatever weekend are you right now? Are you still guettions good résults ? I was wondering if lifting heavy with less reps mâles you more bulky or you still slimming down ?
  • actiontime26
    Options
    Amazing! Whatever weekend are you right now? Are you still guettions good résults ? I was wondering if lifting heavy with less reps mâles you more bulky or you still slimming down ?
    Wow! Autocorrect. What week are you right now. Are you still getting good results? I was wondering if lifting heavier with les reps made you more bulky or you still slimming down?
  • k_wat4264
    k_wat4264 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    I just finished Stage One workout A1. Wow that was quick… I'm used to working out for an hour 4-5x a week so this is hard not to do more… I really wanted to jump on the treadmill after but resisted.

How are the other stage 1 people feeling? How long before you started to see results
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started this program yesterday (again for the second time)! The only issue I have is that the gym in my office doesn't have a weight rack. Have any of you ladies had this problem? I ended up using hand weights to do my squats since there wasn't a barbell for me to use, but I'd love to hear how you may have found ways to do the exercises when you haven't had the exact equipment called for available.

Also, how did you decide how much to start lifting with? I felt like I just randomly picked a weight and went with it...

Last question - I promise! Is it ok to do cardio on the days in between lifting, or should I truly "rest"? Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers!

Liz
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I started this program yesterday (again for the second time)! The only issue I have is that the gym in my office doesn't have a weight rack. Have any of you ladies had this problem? I ended up using hand weights to do my squats since there wasn't a barbell for me to use, but I'd love to hear how you may have found ways to do the exercises when you haven't had the exact equipment called for available.

Also, how did you decide how much to start lifting with? I felt like I just randomly picked a weight and went with it...

Last question - I promise! Is it ok to do cardio on the days in between lifting, or should I truly "rest"? Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers!

Liz

I just started too, did B3 this morning.

As for equipment - if it's at all possible, find a place with a squat rack and a bench. I think that not having the rack will hold you back. a couple of days ago, I squatted 110 lbs. There is no way my grip would be strong enough to hold two 55 lb dumbbells.

I would try to rest in between - normally, I am a gym 5-6 times/week kind of person, but I decided to take it easy since I had a baby just a few weeks ago. The results are stunning - Workout 1A, I found squats with 70 lbs really challenging, and could barely make it through a set of lunges with body weight. Now, the 110 lb squats are still pretty easy, and I did my lunges this morning with a 20 lb dumbbell. I wasn't getting those kind of results when I was running myself ragged in between sessions. I will probably tinker with adding additional days in a few weeks and see what happens.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Introducing myself - just started this month and I am loving it so far. For diet I am following 40/30/30 pretty closely. I've seen a lot of gains in just a few weeks!

I had my second kid on June 4. I can't seem to lose weight while breastfeeding so I decided to commit to strength training for now.
  • icanm
    icanm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I just started yesterday Stage 1. First I was thoroughly confused about doing Workout B on the same day :embarassed:

I wanted to know if anyone felt the excercises were little fancy and light :P compared with that in Strong Lifts. I did only 2 days of SL - I stopped because I found out about NROLW :)

Also, now I am bit nervous and erhhmm.. shy? I work out in a gym and I am the only women doing squats, seated row, push ups. I am good at ignoring stares from people but if it happens every time i work out, I might just give up :( any ideas on this?

Third, do you substitute exercises such as prone jacknife with something else?
  • LizCO2DC
    Options
    Sorry! Another newbie question. Do you all follow the calorie/diet outlined in the book? Based on my CW, it recommended 2131 calories on a rest day. That seems like A LOT. I'd love to know if you all followed it and managed to lose weight. Thanks in advance!

Now I just need to clean up my diet and start eating clean. SO much easier said than done...
  • frannie078
    frannie078 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Had to take a few days off because of pain and tightness in my left hip. Every time I walked I walked I could feel a pop in my hip as well as a little pain. As any one else had a similar experience? It feels alot better now, so I'm going to resume my workouts tomorrow. I should add that I have very tight legs, so maybe that contributed to the hip tightness. I have to stretch/foamroll for 15-20 mins before my workouts.

Try the pigeon stretch! I have had the same issue and doing these after a warm-up before lifting and/or after lifting realy helped me!
  • icanm
    icanm Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I wanted to know if anyone felt the excercises were little fancy and light :P compared with that in Strong Lifts.

Workout B killed me. I take back my words :D
  • LizCO2DC
    Options
    Haha, yeah. I just did workout B today,and I'm pretty sure my shoulders are never going to forgive me. And those lunges!? Damn!
  • DSFfit
    DSFfit Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am just starting for the first time today.
    I am doing at home with dumbbells so some modifications.
    I just did stage 1 A and the squats (dumbbells up by shoulders) were really hard with weight. I only used two 15 lb dumbbells.
    Everything else not too tough. I have to use the steps in my house for step ups and I am guessing those aren't high enough?
    Any suggestions for what to use for step ups? Thanks.
  • elliebellie78
    elliebellie78 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    hhmmm... maybe look around your house and see what you have that is sturdy? If not, maybe buy an aerobic step, then you could adjust the height too, would be useful later in the program also, i believe.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Starting this tonight. I started ICF5x5 last week, but received this program as a gift so I thought I'd try it. I am starting off with the plate dumbbells I have, and hoping to get a barbell set soon so I can progress as much as possible. I'm also a little weirded out by the recommended number of calories, but I believe the logic, so I'm trying to increase my calories daily until I get to that point. My plan is to do yoga/pilates/stretching on my "rest days", and take one true rest day off per week. Now I just need to get a new stability ball (my DH popped my old one)!
  • mtov131
    mtov131 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today I started my second attempt of this program. By setting up a step and barbells near the squat rack, and bringing an exercise ball by the row machine, I was able to be pretty efficient in moving from one exercise to the other.

I did a little extra cardio afterward, because I'm also working toward a 10K/day step goal. I'll be aiming to just do easy walking and PT/resistance/foam rolling type of work on my weekday rest days. Then roller derby practice this weekend.

I'm sure I'll be feeling it all tomorrow!
  • rockstar53
    rockstar53 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I started the first workout on Sunday. Here's to the next 6 months!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    *bump*

Hope to start Saturday.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I started this last Monday and so far so good - the eating has been the hardest for me so far. I really am not a breakfast person, at all, and I work a rotating shift, so fitting in 5 to 6 meals a day is REALLY hard, but I'm working on it. I ordered a measuring tape that should arrive today so that I can track my measurements because I've gone up on the scale so far, which I'm 100% sure is due to fluid or muscle inflammation that will go away eventually.

So far though I really like the program - I just wish my gym was set up a little bit better for it, but if I go early enough in the morning all the equipment is free so I can actually do my circuits without having to wait for other people.