Stage 1

Options

Replies

• kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Oh, I've been following SL for 4 full weeks and just finished 2B of NRol4w so the weights on SL are much heavier than I use for Nrol4w at the moment meaning I can do more. I probably won't be wanting to double up so much in a couple of weeks as the Nrol4w weights increase.

Sorry, will shush up now!!!
  • lovtolaff
    lovtolaff Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wow you've had alot going on....glad you are getting back in the swing of things. I'm not nearly as far along in the "being very active" lifestyle but I'm getting there.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Oh believe me, I can be one very lazy mare too! I've been a bit all or nothing in the past, with some very rubbishy periods, but this time I'm really enjoying the difference. In just a couple of weeks I started to notice my shape changing - that's motivating enough to keep me working on it, whereas it took weeks and weeks of cardio to get anywhere close!

I love the fact that both SL and NRoL4W are very progressive - both in terms of what we can do, and in the changes that are made to our body and mindset.
  • lovtolaff
    Options
    I too can be all or nothing and for now I'm in the "all" phase - let's hope it lasts. And this week was my 2nd full week of NRoL4W and I feel like my shape is changing (for the better). I don't measure b/c I always measure in the wrong places but my clothes seem to fit better and I'm hoping it's not just wishful thinking. I'm staying off the scale as it can bring me down quite easily.

Even though it's only been 2 weeks, I do feel stronger and in a better place mentally.
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, lots of really useful info. I have to admit that part of me is drawn to Strong Lifts just because it seems easier to sort out what to do. And I really like the weights and feel I need to practice with pretty light weights learning to get my form right. . But I did wonder if NROLFW might be a bit less demanding on damaged joints because it has more variety of movements. Thought?
    I have a weaker right shoulder / arm so I have been trying to force it to carry its own weight using Dumbbells at least part of the time.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    I like both...and neither are complicated at all. SL requires the squat rack once you get yo heavier weights whereas Nrol4w relies more on dumbells and other kit that might be easier to get hold of. So. To some extent it might depend on your gym and availability of kit? I get frustrated if I can't get to exercise because the rack is always taken up for example, so to have the alternative is good for me '

I have injuries (see rambling post above) and both programmes are progressive so take onto account only my own limitations.

Give one or other a try and just see how you get on. Switch if you don't like it/get bored/can't find the kit/ etc!
  • lovtolaff
    Options
    Still here...still rambling lol. Continuing stage 1 and increased weights on a few things today. Shew it's harder than I thought but I will say I feel strong and proud of myself.

Did anyone do Stage 1 twice basically for the fact that you didn't feel ready to move to Stage 2?
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    How's it going peeps? Day 2 of the third phase of stage one for me today - I quite enjoyed doing 3 sets of reps yesterday, and definitely notice a difference in my strength from a couple of weeks ago. Over half way through the stage now....and starting to look forward to opening the book at stage 2 for a read soon.......!!
  • mmebouchon
    Options
    I started on NROLFW yesterday. It reenforced my belief that my arms are very weak. I can do zero full body push ups and very poor form push ups from my knees. I ended up doing a bench press so I could get the weight down enough that I could do the exercise. I have a damaged shoulder and have really babied it for a long time. The jack knifes were fun. Not too many people snickering but for sure a few, lol. I fell off the ball quite a few times before I got the hang of them.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I could never do push ups on my knees because my stomach would get to the ground too early, pesky problem area. What I did in stage 1 was to use a rail for the push ups, so I'd be almost standing but get enough of an angle to give a challenge. I moved to the bench during the program and eventually on the floor. The smith machine can also come in handy for these cause you can rack the bar at different spots getting it lower in order to progress. Just some ideas for those pushups. :smile:
  • mmebouchon
    Options
    @DawnEmbers I had to google smith machine duh, but yes there is one at the gym that is rarely in use. So great idea, thanks. I like the idea that I will be able to measure my progress as I move the bar lower.
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I started Monday after doing a trail run. Legs hurt for 2 days. Did b yesterday and managed a 10km road run today so that seemed a little better. I've done weights on and off for years but after my running injury in July I've decided to build more s
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    So...am progressing well with this. Now up to 3x10 on everything. On the Swiss ball crunches I use a 10kg plate held above my head. I didn't feel it on the days when I did 2 sets but after doing 3, boy do I feel it when I sneeze!!! Must be a good sign, no?
  • mmebouchon
    Options
    The smith machine worked wonderfully for the push ups! I started with the bar in the 8th slot from the bottom and was able to do the second set with the bar in the 7th slot. Pretty high up I know but I felt like I had pretty good form. My shoulders hurt allot last night but are okay this morning so I think no harm done. If I can lower the bar one hole a week I might just be able to squeak out a full push up by the end of stage 1.
    The jack knifes on the swiss ball seemed easy enough. No laughter from the crowd so yippie.
  • mmebouchon
    Options
    I have been dealng with migraines and tummy issues allot lately. I missed working out from Friday through Tuesday. I was feeling really frustrated that I couldn't go to the gym but after going this morning I think that the break was good for my shoulder. Work out 2b went pretty well.
    I got a nasty cramp in my right thigh again doing the lunges but at least I was able to ge both sets done. I am going to do some research and see if I can't figure out what I am doing or not doing that lunges cause my right thigh to cramp when it is in the hind leg position.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    mme - how are you getting on with those lunges? Cramp is a horrid sensation.

Tomorrow sees my last Stage 1 session! Last night I did my last A workout. I have brought the book with me to read up during my lunchbreak on whatever stage 2 has in store for me!

I've thoroughly enjoyed stage 1....and although I have done "extra" because I have run it alongside Stronglifts 5x5, I have seen an amazing improvement in my overall strength - things like my pressups are much more solid, and my step ups really do engage my glutes now etc.

Bring on stage 2.......!!
  • mmebouchon
    Options
    Kimi congrats on finshing stage 1. If I don't take any breaks over the holidays I should finish stage 1 by Dec.29 but somehow that seems like a stretch. This week was the first time the lunges didn't give me a cramp yeah. I even managed to hold 5 lb dd.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    So, official results after all 16 sessions:

Workout A - started 5th November.
    Squat - 25kgs >>50kgs
    Push ups - was on toes to start with but much stronger now with straighter neck so deeper presses.
    Seated row - 26kg>>40kgs
    step ups - on low step with 2x4kg dumbells>>bench with 2x10kg dumbells
    prone jacknife - managed to do these from the start so just concentrated on form really.

Workout B
    Deadlift - 30kg>>50kg (I can do 67.5 DL but only for 1x5)
    dumbell shoulder press - 2x8kg >>2x12kgs
    wide grip lat pulldown - 26kg>>40kgs
    Lunges - 20kg bb>25kg bb
    swissball crunch - bodyweight >>with 12kg kettlebell

No bad for 6 weeks work!!!
  • mmebouchon
    Options
    Kimi those are wonderful results. Are you going to take the week off between stages?
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Nope...straight into stage 2. With Christmas parties to contend with, I need the routine of the gym to stop me writing off the next three weeks and stuffing my face instead!!

I am away skiing on 9th Jan for a.week and again 6th February so will use those as my rest weeks. I shall be active of course, skiing, but not lifting.