Introduce Yourself!

Options

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I have been on MFP since last November.... I did not see this group until now! My name is Chris. I'm 43 yrs old. Had surgery March 5, 2013. I live in Las Cruces NM. I have lost 88 lbs thus far. My highest weight before surgery was 333lbs. I am going to the gym several times a week, walking on the treadmill and recently started some strength training. So glad I found this group!!:bigsmile:

Hi Chris, Welcome from a fellow NM member. Isn't it great green and/or red is still allowed?
  • Blackcloudkygirl
    Blackcloudkygirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Christy and I had my vsg surgery on 6/3/2013 at Salem Hospital in Salem, MA...just outside Boston. I have lost 56lbs from my surgery date and 134lbs since my first day of the vsg program...I started at a really high weight of 438lbs. I have had a few complications with low potassium, but other than that, things are going really good. I wasn't sure before surgery if I was making the right choice, but I feel so great now, just a world of,difference going from 438lbs to 304lbs, I know now thus was right for me. I have gone up and down my whole life, never been at a healthy weight, so I think with the sleeve, I can do it.
  • Blackcloudkygirl
    Blackcloudkygirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Erika. I am scheduled for surgery on 08/07/2013.

Hi. Good luck on your surgery, you will do great!
  • k9qt
    k9qt Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi I'm Melissa and I am a LOSER.....I had surgery on September 27, 2012 have lost 97 lbs and reached my goal weight of 130 recently.
  • LeesaHart47
    LeesaHart47 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    HI I am Leesa I live in south Louisiana. I had my sleeve on July 10th, 2013
    I have lost 30lbs from pre op and surgery.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Melissa and I am a LOSER.....I had surgery on September 27, 2012 have lost 97 lbs and reached my goal weight of 130 recently.

CONGRATULATION!!!!!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Erika. I am scheduled for surgery on 08/07/2013.

Welcome to the club!

Here is something they told me (that did not register) which I wish I'd remembered when I first got home.

Immediately after surgery, stomachs are extremely swollen. This doesn't leave much room for stuff to go down. It may be literally impossible to get all your liquids and protein the first couple days out. Don't panic! It's normal. Do your best.

If you're having difficulty getting yourself to swallow stuff, take the pain medicine they give you - even if you are not in pain. (liquid form is best). I took the hospital medicine the first couple days and tylenol a couple days after that. It really helped me drink.

My bariatric nurse and doctor's office were both happy to help me when I called them the next day.

Check back in afterwards, okay?

This is a fantastic opportunity (sleeved 06/10/13). I'm in heaven and it gets easier every day.
  • astacalta
    Options
    Hello everyone, I was so excited to find a group on MFP of fellow Vs Gers. I had my surgery on 6/14/2012 and am down 87 lbs. The first 70 lbs were a breeze, didn't even have to work at it. The weight just came off... its a different story now, I actually have to work at losing weight. I am not disappointed by that because I feel the "playing field is finally level" and I know that when I fall off my eating plan I don't gain scads of weight in the blink of an eye.

That said, I have been a baaaad girl for the past few months with a very minuscule weight loss, so my nutritionist has put me on a short leash... she now has access to my food diary! I fell off MFP and it was a disaster. All my old habits are still there and even though the amount I can eat is substantially less, it still can be enough to stop my weight loss. Combine that with being 58 and I need to work at this harder. So here I am; Back to faithfully keeping my food diary. Its been an eye opener. I am on 1,000 calories per day... its not easy, but doable.

I look forward to getting on her every day to "check in".
  • Alajane1
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I'm Jane, from Alabama--hence the board name! So glad to have found this group--I started on My Fitness Pal the week after my surgery but only found you guys today!

My surgery was 6/28/13 in Birmingham, AL--doctor was John Touliatos. I've had no problems at all so far except that I think my weight loss isn't as fast as it should be. My PCP told me yesterday I was crazy--that 42 pounds in 2 months wasn't slow at all. But 17 pounds was during my 2-week pre-op diet, so I've only lost 25 in the 6 weeks since my surgery. It seems the weight should be flying off with me eating only 600-800 calories a day! I see the surgeon for my 6-week checkup Monday, so I'll see what he has to say about it then.
  • LovelyJenn9
    Options
    My Name is Jennifer. I was sleeved on May 20th 2013 at Columbia Hospital in NY . I have lost 32lbs.
  • gonnabeHOT_Heidi
    gonnabeHOT_Heidi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im Heidi... Im getting sleeved on Aug 22nd... add me if you'd like, i would love the support! doing the 2 weeks liquid phase now, i have pretty bad headaches, hope it goes away.
  • Nellie525
    Options
    Hello,

I am located in the Chicago area. Sleeved on 7/17 by Dr. Hoeltgen at Good Shepard Hospital in Barrington.. First weigh-in was down 21lbs and I have my second follow-up this Tuesday and will hopefully have additional pounds gone. I am not weighing myself every day in an effort to not become OCD about the day to day and focus on the big picture. We will see how long that lasts...
  • InkyInkerton
    Options
    Angella in Kent, WA. Sleeved on 08.06.13 with Dr. Srikanth in Federal Way, WA. I did the clear liquid pre-op diet for 24 days (due to a VERY large liver) and lost 32 pounds in that time. Since surgery I have lost another 8 pounds :)
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Hey there all :)

My name is Aimee, I am having the Sleeve done next Thursday 8/29/13... :) I have been working at this weight loss for over 4 years- the first two were fine, the past 2+ year my body completely stopped responding to strict diet and exercise and no matter what crazy thing I try, I have been in the same 10 lb range.... I am scared, excited, a whole mix of emotion...for a long time I wanted to do this all * my self* but I finally realized I needed to give up my pride and let God use other ways to get me to my goals. My Dr feels my body is at it's preffered set point, and therefore refuses to move...so here we go... i start the liquid diet on Thursday...

My physician is Dr. Matthew Bettendorf @ Essentia Health Duluth Clinic in Duluth, MN
  • mistydk
    mistydk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome to all you new sleevers! It will change your life! I struggled with weight most of my adult life.I also had type 2 diabetes. Since being sleeved 18 months ago I've lost ALL my excess weight, I have a healthy normal BMI, my diabetes blood sugar numbers are NORMAL and I feel great. Good luck everyone!
  • misslynn23
    misslynn23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am going through the process now to get VSG. I have 11lbs. to lose until I reach my goal weight prior to surgery as given to me by my Dr. I look forward to reading through the posts here and learning from those of you who have already been sleeved.

I am in Northern CA and having the procedure done at Kaiser.
  • SumoH
    SumoH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Greeting all!

I had my surgery done in March 2013. As of today I have lost about 60 lbs post op and about 20 lbs pre op. I had my procedure done at Kaiser in Hawaii.

I'm enjoying the renewed energy and look foward to cycling everyday. Open for friend invitations. Aloha!
  • Kristopia
    Kristopia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I had my surgery in July, 2009, so it's been a few years. I lost a total of 120 lbs. In the last two years (due to sedentary behavior, as well as "forgetting" the basics of getting in that protein, and relationship weight -- at least I like to blame it on that), I re-gained about 25 lbs. I'm back on the downhill slide.

I had my surgery in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico with Dr. Armando Joya (I'd recommend him to anyone - it was an excellent experience). My US insurance rejected me, so I found the money to get a loan, and went to Mexico. Frankly, the cost (for the hospital stay - three days, two nights) and three nights in a five star resort on the beach (just a couple blocks from the hospital) was about the same as my copay would have been here. So, not too shabby. ;)

Anyway, contrats, all you new sleevers - remember your tool (and that it is ONLY a tool), and how beneficial it is!
  • ersopher
    Options
    Hello everyone and congrats!! I was sleeved on August 21st by Dr. Hunter at Virginia Mason Hospital, Seattle Washington. With a loss of 27 pounds. as of a week ago.(4 wks post op) :) Best thing I've ever done for myself!!
  • LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Sept 9th - VSG and down 25 pounds. I don't like to say what I lost before and after - it's all the same journey and I wouldn't have lost the before amount if I didn't have a surgery booked to keep me on track! :-)
    Kristopia - thanks for the "tool" reminder. It's really awesome to see someone in maintenance on here and letting us know what to expect in the future!