Getting to Know ME!

Options

Replies

• cm2owl
    cm2owl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm a newly single mother of 3 almost grown children. I was married for 20 years and but now have gained my freedom and am learning to enjoy my life.

Now I am trying to get my health on track as well. I am so glad to find a group of people trying to accomplish a similar goal.
  • frogsonice
    frogsonice Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey!

My name is Alli! Im 24 single and a mother of two wonderful boys Logan(4.5 who i have 50/50 custody and his dad is the BIGGEST pain in my rear and a GOOD chunk of my stress ) Landyn (almost 3 whose dad split town and just signed over his rights without even meeting his son!!!)... I lost my dad 1.5 years ago and since then my diet has just gone out the window!!! I want to get back in shape! I dont want to be single forever for 1 and for 2 I want to set a healthy example for my boys!! So my friend who has lost 50+ lbs on MFP said i should join!! So here I am and Im sticking to it!!! LETS DO THIS THING!!!!

A
  • KimiC520
    KimiC520 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Kimi here!

Single mother of two beautiful little girls (ages 4 and 5) who never stop surprising me with their humor, empathy, and intelligence. We haven't seen or heard from their dad since he got remarried, which is actually just fine with me. He was abusive and now that I see him for what he really is I would rather him not be around anyway. The only part that sucks is lying to my kids and saying, "Daddy loves you. He is just busy working," when they ask about him. (It's rare that they ask, but, when they do, it sucks. I don't like lying to them.)
    I love my life as a single mom. No matter how stressed out I get at times, I am so much happier now. It's hard and there are no instruction manuals and there aren't enough hours in the day, but it is so worth it! Sometimes I want someone to lean on and be with, but mostly I am just fine on my own. I've dated but I think I am happier just being me and my kids for now.

I have about 40 more pounds to lose to get back down to my pre-baby weight and I am hoping that this is the year. I am actually using MFP regularly and joining groups to help me stay motivated and focused.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    So tomorrow is supposed to be the day I gave myself to go to the court to change my son's last name, I'm torn between it being right for him and it being my own pride that I have raised him for the last year...a big ol' screw you to his father walking out on him, not sure why I'm questioning it now but I am. Ugh! comfort food sounds amazing right now!
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm Laury, I have a 15 year old son and an almost 13 year old daughter. Been doing it on my own for 12 years (officially divorced for 11. Shortly after the divorce went through my ex turned to his first love (drugs) and ended up in jail where he should be for a very, very long time. I've loved being mom to my kids and wouldn't change a thing, but the last few years have been getting tougher as my son is growing up and asking hard questions that I have no idea how to answer! I've always been 'pudgy' but just over a year ago I realized how much I'd let myself go. I've come a long way since then, but I've still got a ways to go yet, so I really need help finding ways to keep myself motivated - especially when money is tight (no gym membership, etc).
  • tosweiler
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Tara and I am a single mother to three very active kids. I have always been on the heavy side but with the stress of life, a jacked up thyroid and lack of motivation has made this momma get up to 266 pounds...and I am only 5 feet tall. YIKES! I would like to meet more people who know how hard it can be to take care of everyone and still find the time to take care of yourself. I am looking to lose about a hundred pounds. I have no desire to be skinny, just healthy and look nice. Two major goals are to buy a piece of clothing that does not have an "X" in the size and to be able to run around with my kids without having to stop a thousand times to catch my breath. Good luck everyone and go ahead and add me as a friend if you like : )
  • tirrelogston
    tirrelogston Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I joined the group yesterday but had not had a chance to post. I am a single mom of a 5 year old boy. It is a struggle and a blessing to be a single mom. I have my son full time and would hate to have it any other way. My son is the joy of my life. I have only dated twice since my ex and didn't find it fulfilling at all. I decided it is time to focus on myself and then I would try the dating world again. I have already lost 30 lbs and have another 87 I am shooting for :)
  • Elma1975
    Elma1975 Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi

My name is Elma. I have been a single mother for 10 years, wow time flies. I have two daughters 11 and 13 yrs and two cats.
    I like crafts, swimming, enjoying nature, plants (grow my own veggies), cooking :) that is what got me where I am.
    I was doing great last summer and getting good results with mfp then got stuck for a very long time. 7 weeks ago I broke my foot and have been recovering and gaining back my weight so now I have to start over as soon as my final exams are over on May 8.
    If anyone who logs in every day and is around my age wants to be MFP friends then send me request with message to tell me where you found me :)

Elma
  • 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options

My kids make me happy, we laugh, cut up, pull pranks on each other, go to the movies, play sports, go to the gym, to parks etc. We just have fun, I'm just a big kid on that side of it. But I do try to teach morals, manors, right from wrong, responsibility, dedication, work hard for what you want, never quit, and independence etc. They are why I'm here, I didn't just have kids to have kids or the mindset that I'm married now time for kids. I wanted kids, I love family, family is love unconditionally. The other guys don't know what they are missing. I've played sports and done things for myself and thought wow, but when my kids do the same thing like sports, school, life lessons etc. I was more excited when they did it than when I did, no comparison. Its called being a full time dad not a part time. Its a happiness that some will never know and thats sad. Sad for the kids and the dads that don't have that. I'm doing what I feel is right and it has nothing to do with anyone or anything else. I'm not judging others or critiquing others and I'm not saying they are wrong in their way of life. I just like what I'm doing and it makes me happy. I don't have all the answers and I make mistakes but I do the best I can. It has nothing to do with being single either. It might be a small family but its still a family. I know too much wrambling on, so I'll stop.

Dad

OhMyGoodness you could SO get a date with any of the girls on this list right now.. :melting: men with your perspective are so rare!!

Agreed :happy:
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Katie I am a single mom of an 11 year old daughter. I live in beautiful NW Arkansas. I have been a single parent since 2003.
  • stepfhaniereyes
    Options
    Hi everyone :)

I am 23 years old and a single mum to an amazing 6 year old. We are from Melbourne, Australia!

Me and my daughter have been through a lot and this is one of my ways to getting forward.

I want to put on weight, just to regain the weight that i lost from instances in the past and i am so motivated and also excited because i can meet new people!
  • jamiB72
    jamiB72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jami. Been a single mom officially since 2010, but in reality it has been a lot longer. I have a 13 year old daughter and a 9 year old son...they keep me going and everything I do is for them. That needs to change a little bit. I'm working on doing more for me and putting my health first. Old habbits die hard.
  • jenniferft1997
    jenniferft1997 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Jennifer. I am 41, and a single mom to a wonderful 7 yr old very active ADHD son. I am a full-time Elementary Education student at FSU. I will student teach next month, and if all goes well graduate in December and start my first teaching job in January. My son and I do everything together. His dad is in the picture when he can be, which is more during the summer when school is out due to his job.

I have been single now for 5 yrs and over all it works for me. My son DT needs all my attention when I am not concentrating on school. I am looking forward to being able to teach. I love working with kids, and look forward to having some of the summer off and being able to travel some. Even though it took me a while to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up, lol, I feel like I have my whole life still in front of me.

Having a son with ADHD can be challenging, but not as bad as before he was diagnosed. Now I know he has limits and I work with him. We use a lot of strategies that help him, which helps me. He is a fun loving, compassionate, protective little man. He will be up a grown before I know it, so I am enjoying every minute I can with him. He loves sports, any kind. He has played T-ball and now baseball. He is currently playing his second year of basketball. He is on a great team too. The coach is awesome! He has also played 2 years of soccer, but didn't want to play earlier this year. First time he never wanted to play a sport, so I didn't make him. I am the one who is at all the games cheering him on, even during practice. His dad doesn't usually make it to his games. He will regret that later

Since being a mom with a son who loves sports I have learned to pitch and catch baseballs. I was always horrible at sports because when I was young nobody every taught me how to play. I was always the kid that nobody wanted on their team at school. Even the coaches talked negatively to me. Made me hate sports of any kind. So one of my goals with DT was to help him learn the sports, and then later he can narrow it down to what he wants to play.

I am the mom that skateboards, roller skates, goes camping, anything outdoors. We both love being active and being outside. Of course we also love the computer, TV, and movies :) DT is very encouraging with me eating healthier and being more active. I am doing this for me though, mainly. I want to feel better about myself and have more energy. I know when I start teaching it is going to be long hours and eventful days. I am going to love it, but I will need all the energy I can get to get me through. Also, I want to set a good example of healthy living for my students.

Well that is me in a nutshell. I will always be grateful to God for allowing me the honor of being a mom. DT will always be my heart. He only comes second behind God. :)
  • mandaangel
    mandaangel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    33 Single mom of a 7 year old in Michigan. Divorced and been single for almost 2 years. Time to get back in shape. Just looking for new people to chat with in simlar situation. :-)
  • mandaangel
    mandaangel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    33 Single mom of a 7 year old. Divorced and been single for almost 2 years. Time to get back in shape. Just looking for new people to chat with in simlar situation. :-)
  • 19ladybug83
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I have been a single parent since my son was 5 months and my daughter wasn't yet born. Now they are 6 and 5, respectively. I am really lucky, as their father has relinquished parental rights, and my children were so young, they really don't know any different.. I don't have to worry about their safety any longer. For an emotional eater, this is a wonderful thing, however, not receiving any assistance financially has brought on many late nights with chips or cookies...lol which is why I started on MFP.

I wanted to really do MFP this time...so I can show my children what healthy lifestyle means. I have a long way to go and feel like I am my own worst enemy at this point. Meaning, I use my weight as a security blanket. If I am overweight, perhaps I won't attract a man who could hurt us as much as my ex husband did. I'm sure that sounds silly.

I am really looking forward to learning how you all have traveled/are traveling down this road called health! It is refreshing to see so many success stories and hear the encouragement. As a single, this accountability and common ground will be GREAT!
  • allenshaybaker
    Options
    Not any more. Keep up the good work. You inspire.
  • allenshaybaker
    Options
    I guess I'm the only full time single dad on here.
    Not any more. Keep up the good work. You inspire.
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    Hello, not new to being a single mom, but new to this group :) I have a 5 year old son. His dad is active in his life. I am pretty lucky in that I got to skip the dad/mom drama that I know other single or divorced parents have to deal with. His dad is pretty good with working with me.

My job is really busy, I work more than 40 hours some week, and I want to finish a college degree. But, I manage to find time to fit in a few work outs and I really watch the calories. So far it's worked well and I am getting close to my goal.
  • sboyd222
    sboyd222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I too am a single mom, and new to this group :) I have two kids, a 12 year old boy and an 8 year old girl. I work part time and go to school full time.