Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Awesome Kit!

Melissa, I didn't add any add'l ab exercises. What part of Stage 1 are you in (still just 2 sets or are you to 3 yet)? When I got to 3 sets, I felt pretty spent and that I was getting the job done.

Change of subject - again, I've "liked" Alwyn Cosgrove's page on FB and he does these "coaching" sessions where people can ask him questions. Anyways, someone said he'd been eating eggs everyday for a long time and just recently started having stomach issues and was wondering if he's built up some sore of allergy or something to them. Alwyn's answer was that he has read that eating something everyday can cause an intolerance. Well damn! I have some staples (eggs included) that I literally have eaten everyday since the caveman days! Anyone know anything about this?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Haha, I'm nearly a giantess, so 175 really isn't impressive, but it's getting there! I still have a ways to go before it's even body weight. But thanks, y'all.

I got referred to the Cosgrove Evil 8, but it's an Alwyn complex even worse than the bodyweight matrix.

so, you use your push press weight for a terrible amount of reps (the bar, for me)

then you do
    6 reps of each, no rest or setting the bar down
    deadlift
    rom deadlift
    bent over row
    power clean
    front squat
    push press
    rear squat
    good morning

Then you rest 90 seconds.. do 5 reps of each. Rest 90 seconds.. do 4 reps of each.. etc.

I've been doing mine starting from 8 reps, since I want it to be eights all around, but it's a bad idea. I walk out of the gym with my legs shaking and trying to fail underneath me.

WTF is Good Morning??????? It looks excrutiating. I'll put it on my todo list - after NROL4W and Stronglifts. Y'all might want to check out fitsational.com for more interesting info (I'm probably the last to know about it huh?)

kit_katty, doncha just love those muscles!! I have a layer of fat too, but the muscles weren't there before NROL4W!

Melissa, I have started holding extra weight behind my head as I do the crunches. I'm not doing any additional ab work tho.

Jennie I loved the pic, that was very cute!

I'm sorry I didn't post yesterday about my doctor's visit. Yesterday was also my anniversary. My husband and I climbed on the motorcycles for a lovely ride up to a local ice creamery and met friends there. We sat and gabbed for a bit and then headed off to have a quiet dinner, except his bike started acting up, so we opted to head home, just in case it became too problematic. We'll do dinner later this week.

The surgeon I saw gave me great confidence in what my gyn had said to me after the last test results came back showing abnormal results. She came highly recommended not just by my gyn but also by my internist, even before I mentioned her name. I love the way she and I talked, she heard all my questions and issues and talked clearly about what her thoughts were. She did an internal exam, another pap, HPV, and colposcopy (sorry if that's TMI for you) and said "your cervix looks very healthy). She doesn't recommend any surgery at this point because my previous HPV test was negative, and she said my ASKIS (that's how it sounds, means atypical squamous unspecified test results) could simply mean that my bod is in full menopause, it doesn't have anymore estrogen and so it's not really normal cells anymore. I asked about the squamous cells, which my understanding could mean a cancer potential. She said, if your new HPV test is normal, the chance of there being any cancer is less than 1%. She also said that having a hyterectomy would not necessarily remove the issue and that I could and probably would continue to have abnormal readings. I love what she said next "I'm a surgeon, I like to do surgery, but I'm not going to recommend surgery if I don't think that it will benefit you either in the short term or the long term."

So we follow up in 2 weeks after the test results all come in. I'm very relieved not to be facing surgery, however, I'm not so happy to know that I will probably be having paps ever 3 months.

Along with Jo, I'm repeating some of the Stage 1 progressions for a couple of reasons. Although I like the progress that I've made in some areas - Deadlifts, for instance, I'm not totally happy with the split leg routines and really unhappy with squats and shoulder presses. I want to get a little stronger before I move on, so I believe I'll repeat at least 7 and 8. I go on a 2 week vacation beginning in a month, back for 1 week and then off again for my niece's wedding and family reunion. I'm staying with my sister, who has weights and I'll at least do some lifting even if I'm not following the program exactly for that week.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Sue- that's great news!!!! It's very refreshing to hear a doctor that does things for the right reasons, not just to get money. So glad you had a good experience.

melissa - I didn't add any extra ab work because I wanted to follow the program as written. You definitely could try harder versions of what he has - prone jackknife with one leg, swiss ball crunch with weights overhead. You could also add in more, but I'd try to find something that is more of a compound move like other stuff in the book - planks, pikes (are you doing the full pike?), cobra (if you lift your feet it's harder), etc.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    There you guys go again blowing up the thread lol.

Sue, that's great news!! Hope the new test is good.

I didn't add extra ab work, but I did go for the hardest version I could do. feet up for cobra, holding weight overhead and on a decline bench for crunches, I did the full pikes but actually found the jackknife better for building tired muscles. the pike worked my arms
    more.

I had a pretty cool NSV and an SV today. My scale, which may or may no be accurate says I'm down a pound which considering TOM is saying something. THen at the gym, a lady came up to me and said, " Those are some pretty hard core chin ups you were doing."
    I said, "thanks but I can't take credit, I was letting down,"
    "Those are harder because you have to go so slow."

I did the full 20 sec negatives using no assist on the assist machine. I just wanted the pad under my legs so I wouldn't swing around. :)
    "Well, thank you very much lol"
  • samntha14
    Options
    oh oh, and check this one out. Hubby just bought me sexy "suicide girls" panties to show off my rocking new *kitten* lol. He is so supportive in very strange ways.
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sue, that's wonderful news. You must be feeling much happier, scoring a non-knife-happy surgeon is brilliant.

Did 104lbs for my squats last night - really pleased although felt a little unsteady at times. I'm quite pleased to be redoing the end of Stage 1 again, but off to buy more weight plates again this weekend. With a home gym you end up spending you rest time shifting plates between barbells / dumbells and that gets to be a bit of a pain.

Thinking I might add in some of the pushups to my non-NRoL4W days as I really want to improve them. Also need to reorganise my home office / mini gym spacewise too. I refuse to consider the basement as a gym option, nothing would de-incentivise me as fast as working out down there!

A win on the scales for me - now only 2.7 kgs (6lbs) from goal weight, but now I am almost there might try for a few more. It still leaves me above what I am "supposed" to be but I am going to go with what looks and feels right for me.

PS: Jennie - love the pic - great legs!!!
  • samntha14
    Options
    So..... my new found strength just came in handy. My five-year-old just flooded the bathroom...and the kitchen. I had to carry a hamper of sopping wet towels from the third floor to the basement. Got it done, and man was that heavy.
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jnh, jennnie, sue. Im definitely going to try the harder versions. not sure if my jackknives were entirely correct anyway so last night i did2 sets of 20, 10 pulling my legs in and 10 pulling my butt into the air. Im still doing 2 sets JNH so maybe thats why im not feeling anything. I'll also try hodling the weight overhead as opposed to on my chest while doing tht ball crunches

jojo I do find that at home you spend most of your rest time switching plates. It annoys me to no end and really screws up the 60 sec rest periods ,
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

I am back. My race went really well, I wanted to run the 7.2 miles in 1:45 and I ran it in 1:30:38, even in the blistering heat and humidity. The faster runner of the race was a Kenyan and he ran it in 31:08 minutes - crazy fast.

Last night I was back to the gym, first time in 3 weeks and it felt so good to do some weight training. And strangely enough I picked up where I left off, I was a bit surprised at that!! Started week 2 of the new rules of lifting again and I so love the program.
    I think I am only going to weight train 2 days a week and run 3 days a week as I found when I was lifting 3 days a week for Stage 1 I put on over 5 pounds as my running decreased, so I want to keep my running as that so helps me with weight loss, but I still want the weight lifting to help really firm and tone this 44 year old body!!

Have a great day
    Claudette
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Woohoo, Sue! Glad you have a nonsurgical option.

I'm thinking about having my right ovary removed as it is.. a constant source of pain, the encysted little bugger. I wish there was just a switch where you could turn your reproductive organs off for a few years so they wouldn't cause trouble instead of always having to do something about them!

Jojo, CONGRATULATIONS on your increasing squat!! You've really been increasing those weights lately! Go girl!

Cushy, way to go with that race! And yes, crazy fast fastest runner! Jeez!

I realized I haven't been keeping track of my Stage 3 - and actually should have finished it two workouts ago. LOL. I guess it's Stage 4 for me today!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    JUst checking in here for a sec. I was to workout this morning but I had a goofy night of fitful sleep so I opted to do it tomorrow. I'll get to bed early tonight!

The older I get and the longer I do desk duty at work, the worse my posture has been getting. Between that and breaking my collarbone a few years back, I have a really hard time with keeping good posture as a matter of course. I have found a series of workouts on youtube that are dedicated to improving posture and I think I want to add them to my repetroise, probably on off days. They look easy but she keeps saying don't start with heavy weights... Here's one of them but I found 4 or so by the same woman. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxx-YqRDzTw&feature=relmfu

Jo I am nowhere near 100 on squats, I think that's just fantastic! I too am going to get more weight this weekend. It's a royal pain to have to switch them out and Melissa, yea I can't switch plates in less than a minute either!

Claudette, I'm glad to see you here again! Congrats on the race and even more so on getting back to lifting!

ETA: FB your message overlapped mine. I have had all sorts of buggy female problems throughout the course of my adult life, thankfully they have pretty much been minor, and I hope they continue that way, but I'm with you, I wish I could just flip a switch and turn all that stuff off.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    This is my rest week before I kick off stage 7. Most of you know I am NOT in a good mood and very discouraged. I am glad I am finishing out the program. It gives me a sense of accomplishing something. I am not very good at following through diets/workouts.

On a great note, we leave for Disney World in 25 days!!!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I feel for those of you who are using a home gym. I was blessed to just happen upon our local ladies- only gym that has a great set-up for weights.
    Samantha, I think having kids and weight training go hand in hand. From day one, holding little ones and cleaning up their messes requires so much muscle!
    Claudette, that's a GREAT time! Way to go and hope you can figure out how to keep a balance with the running and weights.
    Sue, I have always been a sloucher. I've actually considered getting one of those posture bras to help, LOL. Thanks for sharing the link.
    FB, I hope that silly ovary gives you a break. Cysts are the worst. Having female issues is such a literal pain.
    Manic, congrats on making it this far! I admire anyone who sticks to something that long. I'm rooting for you in Stage 7!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Morning ladies! There is so much to catch up on...I doubt I ever will ;) but I'm ping to try.

Claudette, congrats on your run!! And getting back in to the swing of things like you never missed a beat - wonderful for you!!

Sue, I'm right there with you on posture. I don't think I can add anything lse right now with school starting soon so let me know how it goes and hopefully once the kids are settled in going back I can add additional exercises.

I can not wait until this crazy work week is over!!! With being at the beach over our long weekend and not lifting while I was there...then coming back to work 5p-3a...it is killing me. My son (Rylan, 5yo) has an internal alarm clock set at 6, never fails. So, needless to say I have been exhausted on my 3 hours of sleep. The kids have allowed me to take a couple of short naps but it's not the same as a full nights sleep :(. Enough of my sob story!! I am just ready to get back in the gym and finish up Stage 1 - just two more workouts to go!!

<
    On a NSV, I was comfortable enough to wear a bikini at the beach!! I have not done so in 7+ years!! I just didn't think I was fit enough. I have always been skinny (or what some call skinny fat) - just not fit. So, I'm happy to say I can see a difference in my body in just the weeks I have been doing NROL4W!!

The kids are playing a board game...I better go sneak in a ten minute nap :)

Make it a great day everyone,
    Amanda
  • jnh17
    Options
    This is my rest week before I kick off stage 7. Most of you know I am NOT in a good mood and very discouraged. I am glad I am finishing out the program. It gives me a sense of accomplishing something. I am not very good at following through diets/workouts.

Change your profile picture crazy! :P

So, I started on my anitbiotics yesterday morning. I'm feeling better, just not 100%. I'm on the fence about my workout today (I workout on my lunch break). I brought my gym bag but I'll reaccess in a few hours. I REALLY don't want to skip it!
  • Sammylynn89
    Sammylynn89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I figured I would post in here instead of making a new topic thread, but I was just looking for some advice. I recently started getting serious about weightloss and getting fit, and I am looking to lose about 50lbs. I want to lose, but I'm lifting and following the NROL4W program(only on stage 1), is following this program with a calorie deficit good, will I get the results I want? Or should I listen to what people tell me and focus primarily on cardio only with a good diet? On my nonlifting days I do at least 20min cardio.

Any advice or suggestions? I am just new to the idea of lifting and I have a lot of weight to lose and before I get too deep into it I want to make sure I'm doing things right.

Thanks! :)
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sue my posture isnt the best either. I find that sucking my gut helps me with that,lol.
    I believe that back flys are supposed to help with that although being in stage 1 im not sure if alwyn includes it in his program.

Chubby I just called a couple of women only gyms and wouldnt you know it, they dont have barbells or weight plates. ONLY MACHINES! it was a good idea tho because that option was way more affordable that a regular gym in NY.
    so im off to buy an olympic bar and weight plates today.

Amanda you looked fab in your bikini! your hard work is paying off
    Glad your feeling better JNH :-)

FB us women have all the fun. mensturating, childbirth, cramps, menopause, ovary issues, cyst, fibroids..it never ends
    I have fibroids but luckily so far they have been a non issue..

Congratulations Manic on starting stage 7!! thats awesome. it seems so far away to me right now but i'll be patient
  • jnh17
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I figured I would post in here instead of making a new topic thread, but I was just looking for some advice. I recently started getting serious about weightloss and getting fit, and I am looking to lose about 50lbs. I want to lose, but I'm lifting and following the NROL4W program(only on stage 1), is following this program with a calorie deficit good, will I get the results I want? Or should I listen to what people tell me and focus primarily on cardio only with a good diet? On my nonlifting days I do at least 20min cardio.

Any advice or suggestions? I am just new to the idea of lifting and I have a lot of weight to lose and before I get too deep into it I want to make sure I'm doing things right.

Thanks! :)

Add in a couple of HIIT cardio sessions a week and you should be good to go. I WISH I would've done this the entire time!
  • samntha14
    Options
    Sue my grandma used to make stand against the wall to fix my posture and honestly my back starts to hurt when I hunch for too long. I don't sit often at work, but chair height at he desk is a big deal for me. Makes sitting up straight more comfortable.

Amanda, you look GREAT in the bikini. Rock it girl!!

Sammy, this is NOT a weight loss or even a fat loss program. It's straight forward STRENGTH training, Many women who come here looking to loose weight end up very disappointed. On the plus side, and my results are probably better than most, but I dropped 6 lbs, 12 inches, three pant sizes and 7% BF. But it took 7 months. NROL4ABS and Rachel Cosgrove's program seem to have more of a weight loss/fat loss bent. Many of us are debating doing one of those when we finish here. If you do decide to this program you WILL get stronger, and if you do the extra cardio you will see some weight loss on a deficit.

As for me. I got to the gym for my zumba class last night. hit 173 max on the HRM and looked like death warmed over, but I finally burned over 600 cals. Needless to say I am VERY tired today. Lounging by the lake it is. Might go lifting tonight. Time will tell. I really like stage 6. It's short, sweat, and leaves plenty of room in the schedule for fun stuff like Zumba.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

Change your profile picture crazy! :P

So, I started on my anitbiotics yesterday morning. I'm feeling better, just not 100%. I'm on the fence about my workout today (I workout on my lunch break). I brought my gym bag but I'll reaccess in a few hours. I REALLY don't want to skip it!

who? me?

:laugh: