Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    So talk you into it? I don't eat sweets, except an occassional protein bar, and the protein drinks I use. I'm very careful about added sugars - read your ingredients! They are in EVERYTHING, disguised as all sorts of "glucose" type ingredients. And I cook and eat whole foods as much as possible. :bigsmile: Did that help? Yea cravings occur sometimes. But all in all, not so much. And all in all I feel better at 60 than I have in the past 20 years.

Yeah, I spent 3 months eating "clean" until I realized that maltodextrin was hiding in everything, sneaky crap that it is. It's odd when I read that performance athletes use it.. not exactly sure it's -really- safe either since I know those sports drinks use it and they're one of the biggest reasons for kidney stones in young men.

Anyways. I'm ON IT NOW. I've been eating some fruits to to keep me from having the crazy headaches .. and I've had a tiny bit of rapadura until I can make it without in my hot cereal. See you never, sugar!

Cowgirl, you are going to LOVE your HRM. I always feel weird if I forget mine. Like somehow the workout is less holy-hell if I can't see that heartrate busting through the roof! :)

I've added cardio every day this week. It's crazy how much endurance weightlifitng gives you. I really had to turn up the resistance and incline to get pumped. Today I'm going to slow it down with some hula hooping instead of going to the gym, but hopefully this extra activity will reflect positively on the scale!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I will go to the gym today...I will go to the gym today...I will go to the gym today.
    And maybe take the kids and dog hiking too. Saw ParaNorman lat night. Really great film :)

Did you go? You can do it!

We watched the Hunger Games last night. I do not like violence or mistreatment of others especially children and the elderly but I did like the movie once I thought about it. I'm ready for the 2nd movie and the 3rd to come out so the kids can change the world :happy: .

Those 4 pounds that I was up a few days ago came off. Where did they come from? That is so weird. I love lifting. I love being stronger but I want to be skinny too. I am "suppose" to start stage 7 tomorrow . At the gym last week, I was on the treadmill and it felt great knowing I was burning fat. Dilemma in my head. What to do ? What to do? Stage 7 should be enough cardio right? 15 reps and 4 sets should have my heart racing with 30 seconds rest, right?
  • athletemcgoo
    athletemcgoo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Manic -- i just finished stage 7. It is definitely more of a cardio stage. I think you will like it if you start with low enough weights so that you can get through the 4 sets of 15-20 reps. I was burning about 250 calories for a 30 - 35 minute work out. A couple days I just wanted to die after I finished, but a couple days I did feel like doing some light cardio/treadmill after the workout. I also did some walking/jogging on most of my off days of lifting, just to keep moving.

Now that I finished Stage 7 I'm trying to decide if I should do it again or go back and do Stage 6 (which I skipped because I felt I needed a fat burn!). I was thinking too, about maybe doing a combination of Strong Lifts and Stage 7 . . . we'll see! :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I will go to the gym today...I will go to the gym today...I will go to the gym today.
    And maybe take the kids and dog hiking too. Saw ParaNorman lat night. Really great film :)

Did you go? You can do it!

We watched the Hunger Games last night. I do not like violence or mistreatment of others especially children and the elderly but I did like the movie once I thought about it. I'm ready for the 2nd movie and the 3rd to come out so the kids can change the world :happy: .

Those 4 pounds that I was up a few days ago came off. Where did they come from? That is so weird. I love lifting. I love being stronger but I want to be skinny too. I am "suppose" to start stage 7 tomorrow . At the gym last week, I was on the treadmill and it felt great knowing I was burning fat. Dilemma in my head. What to do ? What to do? Stage 7 should be enough cardio right? 15 reps and 4 sets should have my heart racing with 30 seconds rest, right?
    girl you gotta read the books, though the movie actually does a great job in my opinion. Yes I made it to the gym. I needed a good cathartic sweat after my car breaking down...and my kids missing our cousin's birthday party at Monster Golf :( No hiking though. Tomorrow we re back at Six Flags with the cousin whose birthday we missed. I messed up my workout though. I missed an entire set :( I repeat, I LOVE stage 6.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Agreed on reading the HG books!
    It's crazy how good young adult authors have been the last few years!

The movie was good, but the.. atmosphere of the books is just so excellent.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,940 Member
    Options
    I'm back!

Vacation was awesome - weather was perfect - we all had a really good time.

I am back at work and realize that I need to find another job, as this one has started sapping my soul. So, I'm going to concentrate on that for awhile.

It's also going to be my first day back at the gym....I'm meeting with my personal trainer, today. We are supposed to go through the moves of NROL4Abs that I don't know. But, my back is sore (because I MAJORLY cleaned out our storage room and the 2 kids bedrooms, yesterday), so I think I'll just let him do what he wants. I meet with him, again, on Thursday, and we can go through NROL4Abs then. I actually still have 2 work-outs in my second Stage 7 go-round of NROL4W....so, I might try and squish them in this week, too.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Beeps! Glad you had a good time.

Another busy weekend here. 9 yo was in a soccer tournament. They didn't have enough team at his age group so all those teams had to play up against the 10 yo teams. My son's team made it to the semi-finals, but lost. They played really well, it's just hard playing against older kids. I got some yard work and canning done (strawberry jam), though.

Started Stage 6 today. The negative chin ups just feel awkward. Hopefully it'll be better on the next workout.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

:) did you? I was lazy this morning. I went to bed too late last night and kept "snoozing" this morning. Not good, I will have to workout tonight as I need to do M-W-F this week. I was out of town all weekend and will be again next weekend and 2 days just isn't where I want to be right now! And it's been 3 days since I lifted (and 4 if I skip today!) and that I know doesn't work for me either. So I will go home and workout tonight!! I will!! I promise myself and you all, I will workout tonight!!

Yea Beeps! Missed your posts! Glad you had a great vacation, and welcome back!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have good new and bad news.

Good news - a co-worker and certified yoga instructor (she teaches for us at our work on Wed and Fri and I take her class quite often) saw me lifting on Friday and made a comment about me using impressive weights. She has mentioned weight lifting before and knows that it's the best way to lose fat, so the concept is not new to her, but she was also making comments about needing a plan. So, of course, I emailed her a link to the New Rules book on Amazon and she replied that she was very thankful, was going to order it right away, and told me that I was and "incredible inspiration." I've never been complimented so well!!!

Bad news - Another co-worker (not one that I worked closely with, but knew some since we worked in the same department) was in a motorcycle wreck on Saturday and didn't make it. :-( Our company is large, our office has 500 people, so there are a lot of people I don't know, so to actually know her and the other people that she worked with just makes it harder. It's just amazing to me how everyone else's life goes on and her family is probably in ruins today.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    First of all, Jennie, that's terrible news. I'm so sorry.

Your NSV, however, is wonderful! Inspiring others to be better is an incredible gift.

Well, I've been back from vacation for almost a week, and it's taken this long just to get caught up on everything you amazing ladies have been saying. So many great successes and good news!

Vacation was wonderful. We walked about 75 miles, and ran another 30 or so during our week in NYC. So although I didn't get a strength workout in, I certainly didn't have a relaxed and lazy holiday! I got a bit of shopping in - mostly tops, jackets, and accessories. I find my lower body is changing shape quite a bit, so I'm going to try and squeeze another month out of some of my skirts before I break down and buy pants. I just didn't want to shell out for new suits and have them not fit in a few months. But I will have to get some soon...I actually gave away all of my 8s and 10s!

I finally got into the gym on Saturday and was pleased to pick up where I had left off two weeks previously. It's a good feeling when you can go away and not lose your strength! Today is S3 4a, so I have to face the BWM again. Boo! I'm planning on wrapping up S3 on Wednesday this week, and resting Thursday/Friday, as I'm doing a 160km bike ride in support of MS research this weekend. Fingers crossed that the weather holds and the wind goes elsewhere!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    joanne - that's awesome about the "losing sizes" and all the walking/running/biking you have been doing (and are doing). Good luck with the BWM.

jennie - that sucks about co-worker. A good reminder as to how fleeting life is - I need to LET THIS SOAK IN....because, I'm sooooooooooo stressed at work I am not in the proper mind-set, that I should be. Because life is beautiful and I am grateful.

Meeting with trainer was BLAH. Total blah. I'm not looking forward to the side-planks in NROL4Abs....they have always just hurt my elbows. Lame. Anyway, I'm going to do NROL4W tomorrow and Friday. Meet with trainer again Thursday. And then just dive right into NROL4Abs, 3 x per week, starting next Monday. It's a plan. I'll stick to it.
  • suelegal
    Options
    Jennie, my condolences. I hate to hear about motorcycle accidents especially, since I ride my own and my husband I are always out on the bikes. It's always amazing to me how life does just continue on, even in the midst of personal devastation.

...but congrats on that awesome NSV!

Joanne, did you know I work right in Times Square? I guess i missed that you were going to be here or forgot, but next time, we should meet - nope I won't run with you but we could hare a cuppa or something!

Beeps I saw an article online that suggested instead of doing planks, doing pushup position would get better results. Now, believe me I have not tried it nor can I do planks very well, just your message reminded me of that.

I'm about finished with my day and off to catch the train and then workout.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    BEEPS!!! You are back!:flowerforyou:

Just the person to kick my butt.

I didn't make it to the gym today. super tired. Son woke me up early because the coach sent him home from 7am football practice. Hubby took him to dr and he has upper respiratory infection cause by his horrible allergies.

Anyway, I'm just tired and unmotivated. I have almost talked myself out of completing stage 7 and doing Cardio until my vacation in 3 weeks. Then begin NROL4abs.

JenJen, sorry about your co-worker. It kinda makes me sad to know life does go on.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Today was actually my first day of NROLFW and I loved it. I have only one problem and that is that my I my y gym does not have a squat rack only a smith machine. How about you ladies? Does your gyms all have squat racks and if not what do you do?
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Welcome back Beeps! I think I had just started really participating on this board when you started your vacation. Glad to hear it was awesome! What type of job are you in? What are you looking for? I'd like to finish photography school and have my own business one day!

Jennie, congrats on your son getting to the semi-finals and on your NSV!! Sorry to hear about your co-worker. In my profession we deal w/death and life moving on around it everyday. It is disturbing when you really sit and think about how life does go on while others are going through their darkest time. Very sad.

Joanne, your vacation sounds wonderful - busy but wonderful!! Congrats on your new clothes!!

Sue, you are probably working out as I speak!! Go get it!!

Manic, so sorry about your sleep and your son. My son has been getting in our bed for the last year and while it was never too often or too much to deal with he has started to take over more and more of the bed to where I just get out and sleep on the couch in my husband's man cave...geez!! Can a mom just get some sleep around here?!?! I feel for you. I hope things go well tonight and tomrorow for you to get some rest.

Daisy, my gym (YMCA) has a squat rack. I would think the Smith Machine is better than nothing, but after reading about it not giving proper form and such I am not sure you want to take the risk. Do you think the trainers would be able to assit you in getting the bar to your shoulders and then dismounting as well?
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Today was actually my first day of NROLFW and I loved it. I have only one problem and that is that my I my y gym does not have a squat rack only a smith machine. How about you ladies? Does your gyms all have squat racks and if not what do you do?

This is a pretty common issue. I think most people do a goblet squat (youtube it -- how did people learn to do anything before youtube?) over a smith squat. I've done mucho squats on a smith machine and you're not getting near the benefit since you don't have to balance.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    So...I"ve been out of the gym since last Tuesday with what was supposed to be a UTI but the dr called yesterday and said it wasn't. Still not better but I go back to see her (4th straight week -- what a freak!) in an hour. My lower abdomin is still swollen and sore and I've got a sharp pain which at first I thought was gas or something but it's constant -- especially when I engage my muscles (like standing, walking, etc). I mean, it's not debilitating pain or anything, but it's certainly a concern. Weird!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options

:) did you? I was lazy this morning. I went to bed too late last night and kept "snoozing" this morning. Not good, I will have to workout tonight as I need to do M-W-F this week. I was out of town all weekend and will be again next weekend and 2 days just isn't where I want to be right now! And it's been 3 days since I lifted (and 4 if I skip today!) and that I know doesn't work for me either. So I will go home and workout tonight!! I will!! I promise myself and you all, I will workout tonight!!

Yea Beeps! Missed your posts! Glad you had a great vacation, and welcome back!
    Yes, Sue I made it to the gym Sunday. Great day to workout. NOBODY is there. I did miss a set though :(
    Welcome back Beeps. YOu were missed. Jennie, great NSV and sorry about your co-worker. JNH, Feel better. Hopeful the DR. will have an idea of what the problem really is so you can get better faster.

My day is any man's guess. I have to go and argue with mechanic who wants to charge me $250 for a battery and a a headlight bulb. Should 20 minutes of labor really be $150. I seriously would have done it myself but I was stranded with the kids in the car and my father and husband were both working. I am VERY tired from yesterday's fun at Six Flags. I'm not a kid any more. I can't do 12 hours of coasters and walking any more. Hopefully I'll get to the gym tonight when hubby gets home from work. Have a great day ladies.
  • suelegal
    Options
    Amanda, yup I probably was. Had a good workout, upped the weight on my squats but I could have done more, except I'm out of weights. Hubby and I are going to get some more. He has a bent bar loaded upstairs on the breezeway for his workouts and won't let me use them :huh:

J, I'm so sorry you are still plagued with that mystery illness! I hope they find that it's nothing chronic or more serious and hope it clears up quickly, so you can get back to doing what you love!

Sam, I really relate. My kids and grandson were here in July. We traipsed all over NYC, and I was exhausted every night!! I'm glad I'm taking better careof myself, I don't think I would have made it otherwise!

Daisy, goblet squats are what I did. I think I said that to you on the Stage 1 chat. There are other squats but I love those barbell squats now that I have my rack available.

Are there other types of squats that give the same workout?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ....and