Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping the DOMS isn't too bad....but, the static lunges REALLY pulled at my hip flexors. So, 12 days break was TOO MUCH for this Beepsie-poo.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Who the heck has time to wait for an hour at the doctor??????????????

i swear, ONLY doctors do this!! If I did this, to my clients, I would have ZERO clients very quickly. Lame-*kitten*-late-doctors.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    jennie, are you doing Stage 6, now? I cut-out of Stage 6 half-way through, because of a naggling injury....trying to decide if I should go back and finish it, or just press on with NROL4Abs. (I must admit, ALL those f*cking planks in NROL4Abs has me SERIOUSLY INTIMIDATED!)
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Who the heck has time to wait for an hour at the doctor??????????????

me..... I had an appt yesterday at 2p. I got there at 1:40... got called to the back at 3:03.... waited for doctor for about 5 minutes... she did her thing and I was out at 3:13p.... WTF??

Needless to say I am NEVER going back to see her (unless my PCP insist on it again).... stupid 2nd opinion.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hello - I'm not on this thread very often but though I would join in.

With you on Doctors - never understood why they make appointments, barely seem to have time for you but are still running so late. I used to go to a Doctors surgery that didn't amke appointments, you could just walk in... Don't think I ever waited more than 10 minutes - seems like a far better way of doing it to me!

Beeps - hope the DOMS isn't too bad. I really don't get on well with the static lunges, they hurt my knees. I rarely do them now TBH, figure anything that hurts THAT much cannot be good!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Beeps - I just started Stage 6 yesterday - did my first A workout and will be doing B tomorrow. The negative chin ups were tough, but not as hard as I feared. Now I just have to work to get to 20 seconds. If there are that many planks in NROLA, then I won't be doing it!! I despise planks and pretty much just quit doing them at the end of Stage 5. I know they're good for you, but I'd rather just do push ups. I do like the side planks though, Did those in yoga yesterday and I was able to get in tree pose while doing them - first for me. After NROLW, I think I'm going to just do stronglifts until his Supercharged book comes out at the end of the year.

Welcome SteAnn and hypallage!!!
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi all, strange question I know but has anyone else experienced difference muscle development from arm to arm?

My left bicep has become hard and round - there is a definite mass but not much definition, while my right bicep has become well defined and long / lean. I'd show you pic but I can't stand how my underarm looks (although that will change the more lifting I do!).

I'm wondering if I am favouring one over the other and not realising that I am lifting differently with it?
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi all--too much to catch up on so I'll just answer the last post--JoJoJo: My muscles don't *look* different (that I can tell, at least) but my left arm and side in general are definitely weaker than my right. When I'm squatting I have to really watch my form, otherwise I jut my butt out to one side. It's annoying--I wish things would all be even.

So are the majority of you going on to NR4abs? I've got to look at it more closely. Mary, did you say that's the one Alwyn recommends for fat loss?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    jennie, I quite liked the negative chin-ups....hmmmmm....truth-be-told, I just want to pop over to the bar, one day, and just GIVE IT A GO. Who knows?? Maybe I *can* crank out one ridiculous chin-up, all on my own. The tough part is to FIND A TIME WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING!

I'm the opposite of you - I can do planks all day long....but, side planks, UGH. My elbow just digs into the ground and it's SO bony that it hurts like hell. How the heck to you get from a side plank to tree pose?? That doesn't even seem POSSIBLE, to me. PS - I sometimes miss bikram hot yoga - but not too often, lol!

jojo - I'm betting one side is simply stronger than the other. For me, my right side is SERIOUSLY stronger than my left. One of the BEST things about NROL4W was all the DB work (rather than BB), because it forces the weaker side to play catch up. NROL4Abs has WAY more DB work, too....not a lot of BB work.

dandelion - my trainer and I were JUST working on my "hip-out" issue, yesterday! (My hips want to move left when I descend into a squat!) He gave me a couple of warm-up exercises, that help with this issue. Problem, now, is the "equipment" he used (first item looked like a seatbelt and the second was 3 foam stacks) isn't in my home....and, it isn't in the gym, either (it's personal to him). Not sure I want to invest in more "stuff" - mind you, if I do these warm-ups every day, it will help my body with THE RIGHT FORM. And, you ALL know how VITAL this is to MY success!! FORM, FORM, FORM!!

(Just like rolling....never heard of it, never did it, but personal trainer had me try it and now I'm a ROLLING QUEEN....LOVE the roller!)
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes, everyone is chatty!

1. Welcome back, Beeps! Reentry after a vacation sucks. It is so hard to get back into the swing of regular life.

2. JNH, I hate waiting anywhere. Especially in a doctor's office. Unless its an ER, urgent care, surgeon's or OB's office, there really is no excuse for it.

3. I know I already said it, but awesome complinent at the gym, Mary!

4. Welcome newcomers! And hi to everyone I haven't mentioned.

5. My happy news for today Is that I finished physical therapy. I'm so glad, because I am so over scheduled and busy, I'm going crazy.

I don't have time to read or write anymore right now. The fam is getting ready to watch a movie together. I'll try to catch up more later.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread is moving fast :-)

I just wanted to say thank you for the suggestions in regards to my gym not having a squat rack. I will definitely look into the goblet squats and I am still looking for another affordable gym in my area.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    How the hell did you do 30 minutes of HIIT AFTER Stage 7, manic????? Something is wrong in the equation.....

1. HIIT, when done properly, shouldn't last more than 20 minutes. Otherwise, it isn't "high intensity"....maybe just medium. (Well, in the world of Beeps, anyway.)
    2. Stage 7 has a STRONG cardio component, already. If you did 30 sec rests, I'm shocked you didn't fall over dead at the end. (I mean, I did.)

Okay, maybe I'm beating you up too much, manic.....probably because I *also* did a Stage 7 work-out, today. It took me one hour. I only did 6 reps of each exercise. And, my weights were WAY dropped back. Also, I needed 60s rests (not 30s). So, I sucked *kitten* and you are KILLING IT.

YOU GO GIRL!

It wasn't easy. My legs felt like jello at the beginning so the first 4 minutes was a warm-up and didn't begin increasing until that 4 minute mark.. I do HIIT like he describes it in the book. Per my body media fit, I was doing vigorous activity so my high intensity might be your medium. As for doing it 30 minutes, I probably shouldn't have, but I am desperate to lose this fat.

Beat me up . Take out your frustration on me, Beeps, I'm strong and can take it. :bigsmile: The guy did say I was the strongest woman in the gym. :glasses:
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It wasn't easy. My legs felt like jello at the beginning so the first 4 minutes was a warm-up and didn't begin increasing until that 4 minute mark.. I do HIIT like he describes it in the book. Per my body media fit, I was doing vigorous activity so my high intensity might be your medium. As for doing it 30 minutes, I probably shouldn't have, but I am desperate to lose this fat.

I find that with running, I can do HIIT for 30 minutes and even longer when I'm determined. For me, my legs just aren't fast (or long) enough to increase my pace to one that would kill me after 15-20 minutes. I would literally fall off the treadmill, face first, splat. So when I do HIIT, I run the line between splat and not splat. My heart rate still gets up to 90% of max, which is the goal. And the treadmill is slippery because of all my disgusting sweat (also known as my "glow"...lol). But pushing beyond that pace is impossible for me, though I do increase my pace slowly over a period of months. Also, I find that I can do HIIT for longer periods doing activities that I already have endurance in. So I can do HIIT running or biking for a lot longer than I can on the stairmill or rowing machine.

Again, everybody's bodies are different. And, since I always break the book's rules anyway, I'll say this: just because the book says to do it one way doesn't mean it's the only way. And keeping in mind that the book isn't written for fat loss, and what he prescribes for HIIT is part of his entire framework - which is to help you build and maintain muscle, there's nothing wrong with adapting the book to better suit your needs.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    jennie, I quite liked the negative chin-ups....hmmmmm....truth-be-told, I just want to pop over to the bar, one day, and just GIVE IT A GO. Who knows?? Maybe I *can* crank out one ridiculous chin-up, all on my own. The tough part is to FIND A TIME WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING!

I'm the opposite of you - I can do planks all day long....but, side planks, UGH. My elbow just digs into the ground and it's SO bony that it hurts like hell. How the heck to you get from a side plank to tree pose?? That doesn't even seem POSSIBLE, to me. PS - I sometimes miss bikram hot yoga - but not too often

When I do side planks I'm on my hand not my elbow.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Jennie - I'm glad to hear there is someone else who ditches things they don't like! For me it is the prone cobra though - I hate it! I will generally make a lame attempt at doing one, remember quite quickly I don't like it & quit. Unless I am training with my housemate - she forces me to do the sneaky snake as she calls it!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Been a week since I injured my back and I'm still so stiff and terrified of going back to the weight room. Heck, it still hurts to walk down my stairs each morning. Going to the chiro and doing some stretches and foam rolling, but that's it for me right now. I should be starting Stage 5, but now I just don't know what to do. Walks? Low intensity cardio classes or yoga? I took my kids to a park today and that drained all of my energy.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, Beeps!

Yay, new thread!

I can also do a ton of HIIT provided the sprints are at a minute, and then 2 minutes of steady state. Usually what I do though is use my heartrate monitor and bust *kitten* at 85-90% (170+ bpm) of my estimated maximum heartrate, then go down to 80% (160+), which is what I can maintain for about an hour of steadystate cardio.

In order for me to be done in 12 minutes, it has to be mostly full intensity... Like the Evil 8 Complex. That was about 15 minutes and I cannot imagine doing anything else, but the working interval is longer than the resting interval in those.

Hypallage - ME TOO. I hate that stinky old cobra. I'm so bored while doing it. I don't skip it, though, since I have this feeling that if I change too much I wont be able to complain about my results. I already have to puss out on a lot of the single leg knee bending exercises, so that's as much as I can get rid of. LOL

Tawnya, I'm sorry you're hurting so badly! I would just do some walking and try to take it easy. Back injury is no joke. Do you have MBTs or .. shape up type shoes with a rolling bottom? I would try those - not for their toning, but I own a pair of MBTS, and when even the smallest of movements was causing pressure in my low back, they would extend the amount of time before it became unbearable.

Me, I'm thinking about taking another week off, or at least a few days. My female organs are on strike and I don't really want to lift too much heavy as the abdominal pressure while lifting seems to make it worse right after. I did a tonnnnnne of cardio last week, and I'm thinking I may just do a lot of steady state this week and take it easy.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Been a week since I injured my back and I'm still so stiff and terrified of going back to the weight room. Heck, it still hurts to walk down my stairs each morning. Going to the chiro and doing some stretches and foam rolling, but that's it for me right now. I should be starting Stage 5, but now I just don't know what to do. Walks? Low intensity cardio classes or yoga? I took my kids to a park today and that drained all of my energy.

Yikes. I know how the back pain thing is. Take care of yourself. Easy into whatever you do.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Tawnya, I really hope you are feeling some relief. Welcome to the newcomers. The thread blew up over night.

I did 6A3 last night. My glutes were screaming this morning. I'm down to 65lbs on the assist machine for one pull up from dead bottom. I don't need the assist at all for the negatives and I'm at the full 20sec. So, now what? Looking forward to stage 7, even though I won't complete it before going back to work.

You would think that losing all these inches would be a good thing, but school starts in less than 2 weeks, and I am too broke to afford new work clothes, especially with the kids back to school clothes. I have to get an estimate on having my old pants altered. Also, take a peek at Unique, the second hand shop.
  • Bransonlee
    Bransonlee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been lurking for a week or so now and thought I would say hello :) Today is my first B workout of stage 1 (total newbie) but I love this program already! Totally inspired when I read all of your progress! You ladies rock!