Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Also, I hope you do NROL4Abs so that I have company!!

When are you starting it , Beeps? I will begin around 9/17.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Ok Mary Me and you can start the same day and push each other along. I was just freaking out about work stuff, and money stuff and husband stuff... but thank you all for the support
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Jessica, is there any way you can see a sports therapist?? I'd get another opinion on how you can continue to focus, 100%, on FORM, but also, as you improve, move up with the weight. I still have TONS of problems with squatting. But, I can do an ATG bodyweight squat, now....I couldn't even get to parallel (with just BW!) in January. I still do NOT lift very heavy for my squats - because as soon as I up the weight, I can't get parallel, blah, blah, blah. So, since FORM is key, I just do what I can. Maybe, for you, it *does* mean doing BW squats, etc., for a long (longer??) time. I would still find someone who can help you work through your body-issues, while still encouraging you NOT to just go back to PURE bodyweight exercises. The "heaviness" of the weights DOES matter - it IS improving your health!

I don't think he is really telling me I should go back to only body weight, only that one *could* do body weight and get the health benefits from it. As far as squats go, his reasoning was for the longterm. As in, when 70 years old, my knees will be in much better health. I physically *can* do squats, but adding weight for a back squat does put a lot of strain on my back even with good form , and form is a real struggle once the weight goes on. I've been doing goblet squats. I don't think I'll ever add enough weight to those to cause me physical problems, but it's still more than body weight.

Somedays I feel like beating my head on a wall.

Anyway... By the time I get to start it, you'll probably be done with the abs book! But I do think I'm going to do it. Maybe sooner than later.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Oops, sorry Sam. :blushing: I thought you were struggling with the every day PMS blahs.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Mmm. I sure do love taking a little lifting break every once in a while. I guess I've taken 6 days total.. and 4 days off of any cardio that wasn't walking.

I have a pair of vibrams coming to me soon, so I'm looking forward to starting that sprint training I've been talking about! I did a little barefoot walking today, and it was interesting, a little hard on my joints on the cement. Probably going to have to really work my way into this thing! :)

Any tips for sprint training? I think the last time I ran (I elliptical, stair step, or iron x now) I was in highschool wrestling.

Oh no, Sam! I hope it gets better quick. I hate worrying!
    Jess, I hope yours gets better too! Urrgh. I hate back pain so much!
    Sue, congrats on your deadlift PR! Yay! Your shoulder press is gonna increase drastically after the Front Squat Push Presses in Stage 2, I bet! I know that's where I managed to add on a few lbs to my press! :)
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hi Peeps

I hope I am not being dumb now but what does ATG and BWM mean?

Thank you
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Daisy: ATG = *kitten* to Grass, describing doing squats past (below) parallel. BWM = Body Weight Matrix, a series of (killer) body weight exercises that's introduced in Stage 3.

I was just looking at the calendar to figure out when I'll be done with NR...looks like the end of October. So if I like NR4Abs (should arrive today or tomorrow) I'd be starting it in late Oct./early Nov. I'll be way behind a lot of you ladies, but I'll have your experience to benefit from!

One more day of work today, then vacation again! (Well, it's work-from-home vacation, but it will be nice not to go into the office at all.) School starts the day after Labor Day, yahoo! This weekend we're going to a big county fair...will try very hard to avoid all the food-on-a-stick. I've been *pretty* good with my kinda-sorta primal eating the last few weeks. Don't know if it's helping me lose any fat, but I do feel a little leaner and generally more energetic. I'm waiting to weigh and measure til I'm done with S7. Curious, though!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Mmm. I sure do love taking a little lifting break every once in a while. I guess I've taken 6 days total.. and 4 days off of any cardio that wasn't walking.

I have a pair of vibrams coming to me soon, so I'm looking forward to starting that sprint training I've been talking about! I did a little barefoot walking today, and it was interesting, a little hard on my joints on the cement. Probably going to have to really work my way into this thing! :)

Any tips for sprint training? I think the last time I ran (I elliptical, stair step, or iron x now) I was in highschool wrestling.

Oh no, Sam! I hope it gets better quick. I hate worrying!
    Jess, I hope yours gets better too! Urrgh. I hate back pain so much!
    Sue, congrats on your deadlift PR! Yay! Your shoulder press is gonna increase drastically after the Front Squat Push Presses in Stage 2, I bet! I know that's where I managed to add on a few lbs to my press! :)

Sprint training as HIIT? Are you planning on doing it on the treadmill or outside?
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Daisy: ATG = *kitten* to Grass, describing doing squats past (below) parallel. BWM = Body Weight Matrix, a series of (killer) body weight exercises that's introduced in Stage 3.

Thanks for the reply! He he I like ATG :-)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Oops, sorry Sam. :blushing: I thought you were struggling with the every day PMS blahs.
    knowing me that's in there too lol. I just can't track my cycle anymore. It's a freaking pain, but I wouldn't change my IUD for anything.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    Okay, manic and Samntha, it's nice to know we'll be in NROL4Abs....I'm unsure if I can do it 3x per week (my goal) or 2x per week (my 2nd best goal) - so I might even lag further behind you! (But might end up on a dandelion sched.)

I am planning on starting next week....but, I have to create the excel spreadsheets - the spreadsheets provided by the website are too clunky for the long term - I think they are good, at first (particularly for all the warm-up stuff - but will get unwieldy once I kind of get the hang of the patterns down.

Samntha - I'm struggling with TONS of feelings of "anxiety", myself. Very tough to deal with. My sister was kind enough, today, to remind me that I have to focus on the FEELING that I already have the new job, that I'm heading off ot it, today, that everything is well, etc. It is true that when I focus on the GOOD FEELING, I *do* feel much better. So, here's my tip of the day: FOCUS ON THE GOOD FEELING.

In all that you do - focus on the GOOD feeling....let the rest of it wash away and just focus on the good!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Jessica, feel better soon! Back pain can really change your life. Sorry you're having to deal with it.
    Samantha, sorry you're stressed. Exercise always helps my stress levels.
    Dandelion, enjoy your "staycation". Judging from your profile pic, you've got nothing to worry about those measurements :)
    FB, I don't anything about sprint training. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Vibrams.
    Beeps, great advice! We all need to remember this...everyday...

I'm jealous of you ladies who are moving on to NROL4Abs soon. I sorta want to switch to it now to focus on fat loss, but I also hate quitting NROL4W. Looks like I'll be sticking to this for now.
    So I measure once a week as I find it helps keep me motivated to look forward to it on Fridays. Anyway, this morning I was down another 1/2" on my waist and another 1" in my bust. I know part of the bust was from quitting breastfeeding a few months ago, but it's also some from fat loss I think. My natural waist and my bust are the last place I gain and the first place I lose. Yay for NSVs! Now if I could get these dang thighs and hips to start slimming down....
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Sammy - welcome!!

ebaymommy - Good luck on the race and Iove it the idea of the sign!

Jessica - have you considered just moving to NROLAbs now instead of finishing NROLW? Since the Abs book is geared toward strengthening your core (including your back) it may be a better option. You can always come back to NROLW and you may have more success after building your core up. Also, have you ever done yoga? If you did it with a proper instructor, it may help your back also.

Samantha - Sorry your stressing! :-( Exercise does help me a lot, except that when I'm stressed I have no desire to exercise at all. I'd rather eat!

I woke up in plenty of time to do my lifting this morning, but had no desire to get up at all. I will get it in tonight or tomorrow morning. Boy do we have a busy weekend planned. Soccer games Saturday with a family BBQ right in the middle, soccer Sunday with a team BBQ planned for after the games and I get to make enough baked potato salad for those two events plus one at church that we won't even be able to attend. Good thing we got lots of fresh grown potatoes from our garden!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I really need to get off my lazy butt and do something. I've only worked out 3 times this week.

Happy Weekend to yall. Hope yall have a good one.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Yes you do, Mary!!! Now get to it! :bigsmile:
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    OOOOHHHHH I am so sore!! I did M-W-F for the first time in a while and my body is fussy as all get out! I really hit the PJs today, felt it and still feeling it. Oh yea and I went up to 80 on squats. Not quite ATG but easily parallel, except for the last one! I'm feeling pretty good about that since I could only do BW when I started!! YEA ME! I'm really glad I stuck to S1 for extra workouts. I know today is show your guns Friday but I'm still not so happy about definitiion. Yea it's there but I still have too much flappin' in the breeze goin' on. :sad:

Beeps, I do the same thing. My focus is first about all the horrors that "might" happen. I like what your sister said! I end up laughing at myself. Makes me switch over to a more positive outlook. Not always easy tho!

Jessica, I'm so sorry you're back is still bothering you! I have heard of successes with yoga but as Jennie says, you have to have the right instructor!

Mary... 3x? That's not like you!

Ebay have fun with the race!!

I'm going to be AWOL over the weekend thru late Monday night. Hope you all have a terrific weekend!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Sue, you are doing awesome!!! 80 pounds! great.

As soon as I typed that, I went outside and walked the street we live on for 20 minutes. Southern humid weather is a killer. the temp isn't that bad but the way I am perspiring you would think it's 120 outside.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    jennie, your weekend DOES sound jam-packed!

manic, I only worked out 3 x this week, too (only 1 x was weight-training!). I will get in a long steady-state cardio session tomorrow morning. And, next week will come soon enough.

sue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 80 lbs is AWESOME!! You are progressing VERY quickly!! (I can only do 75 lbs. - this is 8 months in for me.) So, do NOT worry about anything else. Keep up the good form and ALL of your LIFTING HEAVY will shape you. PROMISE!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I really need to get off my lazy butt and do something. I've only worked out 3 times this week.

You crack me up, Mary. I'd kill for 3 times right now. :)

Had my first day back at the Y and walked. And then I couldn't resist the pull of the weights and just did some super lift dumbbells with arms only. I still think it was too much, but I felt like it was a step just being there.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

You crack me up, Mary. I'd kill for 3 times right now. :)

Had my first day back at the Y and walked. And then I couldn't resist the pull of the weights and just did some super lift dumbbells with arms only. I still think it was too much, but I felt like it was a step just being there.

Don't overdo it!