Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Manic - love the new picture!! The other one made me hungry!!

For those that do Zumba - what shoes do you wear? I tried a class sometime ago in my running shoes and could not get my feet to move the right ways. The instructor said it was because running shoes are made for straight forward movements, etc...so I am curious what you all wear.

FB - Of course you are doing something right!! And I don't think it's your food silly!! It's all that hard work you put in day in and day out!!

Sue - congrats on getting through your workout!!

Jennie - congrats on finishing up Stage 5!!

Thank you all for the comments about my bikini picture:blushing:. You all are too kind :flowerforyou:. I told my husband not to get used to the bikini because that is more of a beach outfit and not a general hang out at the community pool outfit. I still wear a one piece when out swimming with the kids, at the gym, or our neighbors. It was fun to do it though!!

Me thinks the bikini should be normal around-any-water wear for you. :bigsmile:
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Lol! Yes! Bring the shovel!

My husband has started eating Paleo, and has been losing all sorts of weight. I'm thrilled for him, as he really needs to lose weight. But, sheesh! My self-esteem is taking a blow.

I've shoved mine up under the bed... I will have to crawl to reach it and I'm not crawling, at least not right now.

I think every man loses weight really fast on a carnivore type diet - Paleo, Protein Power, Atkins (and other low carbs). Mine, if he lets me feed him, will loose 5-10 in the time it takes me to cook the damn steak. But, they don't have the same monthly hormone issues and they are by nature more muscular, even when they aren't working out. So don't take his weightloss to heart! Remember when you were just starting? First 5 or so kinda fell off right? He'll slow down too. Are you eating Paleo also? It's such a great way to eat, but honestly, I don't have the patience or the time to do it.

ETA My whole bod today is owie. I guess I need to struggle like that more often! I can always tell when I've hit form well! Oh and the posture exercises are deceiving tough, BUT they have made me much more aware of my whole upper body position! OMG I slouch all the time!!!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I'm nonfunctional today. If the children weren't trying to kill each other, I would have stayed in bed until noon. And I have a bit of a knot in my left calf. Still planning on going to the gym tonight. Desperately need to do laundry and clean the house today. No more Ms. Tired/lazy. Stupid sleep disorder. Sometimes it really kicks my butt.

To those afraid or not interested in stage 6. GO DO IT!! I LOVE IT.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dande!

I need the shovel too! I got on the scale this morning and I'm up 4 pounds:noway: . Not sure how that happened. My eating hasn't been the greatest but I have been lifting and burning more than I eat.

Yesterday I walked/jogged on treadmill. Muscles that haven't been worked in a long time I am feeling them today. Will hit the gym later today for more cardio.

Samantha, sorry sweet'ums. Wish you a happier Friday and hope it gets better.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the complement, Runn. I'll take any offered. ;-)

My back feels better today. Not 100%, but better. My physical therapist kicked my butt this morning. You'd think he was my personal trainer. I ended up working my lower body hard enough that when I got home I only had to work my upper body. So I hit it hard. Not NR, just my own *thing*

Sue, I'm not eating Paleo. I just can't do it. I am trying to imitate it the best I can, but so far my best has been pretty lame. He has lost more than twenty pounds. I'm proud of him. I'm just not going to weigh myself. :)
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Me thinks the bikini should be normal around-any-water wear for you. :bigsmile:

:blushing:

Oh Samantha, you have them too!?! I thought my kids were the only ones like that ;) I have a 7yo girl & 5 yo boy. How old are you kids?

Manic, I think we should all go on a scale strike!

Jessica, glad your back is getting better!!!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I stepped on the scale and found myself pretty much right back at my start weigh this morning. Boo.

I made a promise to myself to quit sugar once I went grocery shopping - and here it's about time to go grocery shopping but I find myself longing for one more bag of gingersnaps. "These are the good cookies" the yeast fauna in my stomach are telling me, "You can eat 25 of them and it's only like 30 grams of sugar. There's more in most breakfast cereals.".

Whatever. TAKING YOU DOWN, sugar. I'm trying to remember my year of being completely off sugars - how great it was and how much energy I had and how my body was tight.

Urrrgh. I'm not sure if I should try giving up milk again or not. It does make life -really- carby, but I hate how thick and gooey protein gets when you mix it with almond or coconut milk. What do y'all think? Milk or no milk? I drink 2% in my effort to get closer to full fat dairy (couldn't quite make it to whole, lol). I'd have to fill some calorie holes if I got rid of the milk.

Pep talk me on no added sugars? :)
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I've been stirring my protein powder into plain greek yogurt and it's not bad. Otherwise, I mix it with 1% milk.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Sue, the gym I am at is apparently a regional gym. It's "Total Fitness for Her".

I went off sugar for about a month a few years ago. I remember being less bloated, but I sure got cranky not having any dark chocolate. And it's so dang HARD. My lifestyle is not conducive to it at the moment. But I know it is so much better for you.

I'm going to have a bad day today (food-wise). Meeting some girls at a mexican restaurant. Gonna try to avoid the chips and just get a small plate of enchiladas with corn tortillas. Then eating out again tonight. Ugh.

Does anyone do IF while doing NROL4W? I did a sort of Eat Stop Eat method when I was at my healthiest.

I'm all for ditching the scales! I really hate them right now.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Sue, you crack me up--love the 10 lb. weight loss in the time it takes to cook a steak. So true. So unfair. My hub's just started trying to lose weight. He doesn't do it in a very organized way. But at least he's trying.

I've been trying modified primal for the last couple of weeks and really like it. I haven't weighed for a LONG time at this point and won't until after I"m done with NR. So I don't know if I'm losing any weight as a result, but I do feel good.

FWIW, my kids (boys, 8 and 11) spend a third of their time trying to kill each other, a third driving me insane, and the other third asleep. Just kidding. There's probably a fifth in there when they're pure awesome.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I stepped on the scale and found myself pretty much right back at my start weigh this morning. Boo.

I made a promise to myself to quit sugar once I went grocery shopping - and here it's about time to go grocery shopping but I find myself longing for one more bag of gingersnaps. "These are the good cookies" the yeast fauna in my stomach are telling me, "You can eat 25 of them and it's only like 30 grams of sugar. There's more in most breakfast cereals.".

Whatever. TAKING YOU DOWN, sugar. I'm trying to remember my year of being completely off sugars - how great it was and how much energy I had and how my body was tight.

Urrrgh. I'm not sure if I should try giving up milk again or not. It does make life -really- carby, but I hate how thick and gooey protein gets when you mix it with almond or coconut milk. What do y'all think? Milk or no milk? I drink 2% in my effort to get closer to full fat dairy (couldn't quite make it to whole, lol). I'd have to fill some calorie holes if I got rid of the milk.

Pep talk me on no added sugars? :)

I have been low carb for at least 7 years. I had a period where I gave up, for no good reason, except that I was mid menopause and all the symptoms were kicking my *kitten*. It was also the same period of time where I gained 20 pounds, did absolute no exercise and was incredibly depressed. Which caused which I really couldn't tell you but I did several things to get back to low-carbing because I knew in my heart it was the way of eating that made me feel best.

The first thing I did was address my depression. Talked the doc, got some meds and stayed with them long enough to get out of the funk - then I read and followed the book "The 7-Day Low-Carb Rescue and Recovery Plan" which was a pretty gentle way to get to my level of low carbing. And... I stopped drinking soda. I occassionally will have a diet something, like maybe 1x a month, otherwise, I drink water, iced teas, iced coffee and rarely clear seltzer (sometimes unsugared flavored). The first month I did that, I dropped 5 pounds. The rest has come off slowly but consistently until this recent plateau. Now I'm working on the muscle again.

So talk you into it? I don't eat sweets, except an occassional protein bar, and the protein drinks I use. I'm very careful about added sugars - read your ingredients! They are in EVERYTHING, disguised as all sorts of "glucose" type ingredients. And I cook and eat whole foods as much as possible. :bigsmile: Did that help? Yea cravings occur sometimes. But all in all, not so much. And all in all I feel better at 60 than I have in the past 20 years.

ETA I don't drink cow's milk, haven't in decades. I do drink almond milk, and some soy, but can't do a lot of soy anything due to estrogen issues.
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Fun bun-- I agree on the milk. I would like to cut out milk, but I HATE what my protein powder does in almond and coconut milk. It doesn't blend well and gets all thick. Yuck.
  • samntha14
    Options
    ugh, I am zombie woman. Thought I'd feel better after a shower. I just want to go back to sleep. Hasn't been this bad in a LONG time. Amanda, I have 2 boys, 8 and 5. They're the greatest kids ever...when they aren't together. Personally I can't do IF because I'll pass out after 4 hours lol, I do the 6xday meals instead. I've heard it said that it doesn't really matter WHEN you, what matters is what you eat and how much of it. Although I've heard of some people doing IF to kick their metabolism in the butt. I eat like crap and that probably won't change.

I made my husband stop being vegan because I got sick of interpreting freaking food labels. Best thing that ever happened to him. Like other annoying men, he lost his first 30lbs the first months. Freaking men. More dairy, switching to diet coke and riding his bike. By the end of the first year he lost 85lbs.

Jessica, I love using almond milk. I find Silk and almond breeze the best. I ran out of powder thought and have been using premixed shakes.
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    RUNN3Rmom, I actually got the HRM a couple of months ago when I finally clicked that the readouts on my treadmill and on the MFP database were completely overstated. Wouldn't be without it now!

Sam, I hope you are feeling better!

I did 3 sets of 104lb deadlifts yesterdfay and OMG, can i feel it in my shoulders and neck today! Just been for a 10k walk to try and walk off a little of stiffness (some gentle arm swinging on the way) but not sure I want to lift tomorrow. I am going back to do part of Stage 1 agaqin next week to take me up to my holidays...quite looking forward to it.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Samantha, it is so nice to hear from other moms that their kids are great too (when separated). I work evenings and my husband days (we both work fir the Sheriff's Office and work shift work)...so I'm home all day with the kids and when school is out, oh my gosh, they are at each other 75% of the day. But when M was at school and R was still home he was an angel and vs versa. Crazy how it all works. I hope you have been able to get a little more sleep today.

Jojo, 104lbs!!!! That is great!!! When I first upped my dead lift weights I felt it terrible but an extra day of rest seemed to help so if you don't decide to lift tomorrow I'm sure your body will thank you :)

I always thought my blender made my almond milk froth up...maybe the powder is to blame?? I don't mind it too much as long as I'm drinking it through a Tervis Tumbler straw (a really wide straw) and quickly...

Off to the gym ladies for my LAST Stage 1 A Workout!!!!! I'm hoping to rock it out!!!

Make it a great day,
    Amanda
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Yep, my kids are great, too. One at a time. They do okay most of the time, but some days...whoo boy.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Jojo, I've been reading so much about the calorie estimates being very high for exercise on MFP. I finally broke down and bought a HRM. Should be here Tuesday. That's an AWESOME weight for DLs. Hope your soreness gets better.

Run, hope your workout is great! Yay for the end of stage 1!

Kids...ugh. I have a 1, 3, and 4 year old. My house is a constant whirlwind of messy activity. I work 1-2 days a week just to get a break. They actually get along really well right now, so I really feel for those of you with older ones who like to bicker.

This morning I was beating myself up for eating so poorly yesterday (didn't even log the last part of my day because I wasn't even sure where to start) and a friend of ours that I haven't seen in several weeks stopped by. He commented on how much smaller I looked. Made me feel not quite so yucky about myself. Thank goodness for the NSVs because the scale is definitely not my friend right now.
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Cowgirl (I just CAN'T use the chubby bit of your name!!) - great NSV! And you will love your HRM, it will be money well spent.

I decided to give today a miss - just did some treadmill fast walking. I'm back on schedule tomorrow though for some serious lifting. :bigsmile: I've been selling off all my old clothes on the local auction site (like eBay) and it was great to go into shops today and try on a pile of clothes all marked M. Yep, I'm now a Medium type of girl! It still take a bit of effort to not look at the larger sizes and I have to remind myself that's not me any more. One day I may even be an S (if my boobs disappear!).
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Cowgirl (I can't use Chubby either), 3 under the age of 4...wooh, makes me tired just thinking about it. Congrats on your NSV!!

Jojo, woohoo!! A medium size girl!! Great NSV to you, too.

I did my last Stage 1 A workout yesterday!! I'm so happy to almost be done Stage 1. As much as I have enjoyed it I do look forward to moving on to new moves. It went well, I rocked it as hard as I could and felt like vomiting when I was done...so I guess I did well :sick:
  • samntha14
    Options
    I will go to the gym today...I will go to the gym today...I will go to the gym today.
    And maybe take the kids and dog hiking too. Saw ParaNorman lat night. Really great film :)