Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    manic - what do I give you as a tally (out of 7) for February 8- 14th?

hey eman, put up your photo as an avatar and I'll happily post some youtube videos that will help!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

A couple more workouts into Stage 2 here. I don't have a cable pull machine (workout from home) so was trying to do the weird lay on your back version of the horizontal woodchop but didn't really like it. Found on youtube something called dumbbell cross/wood chop (picture the movement of chopping logs in half or something) and really like it as a substitution. Feel like it's really working my core.

Can you post the link? I'm also doing the weird lay on your back version of the horizontal woodchop and would love another option.

This is it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuiEZWIHWrA

Not entirely sure it works the "same" muscles as the actual horizontal woodchop, but it feels like an acceptable alternative anyways. I feel like the one on my back doesn't use my core at all, just my arm muscles. This one feels much better especially if I make an effort to do a full range of motion in twisting to either side as I "chop" with my dumbbell :laugh:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Thanks blues! I may add that. I think I'll still do the lay on the back thing to make sure I'm working those muscles, but my core could use a little extra work.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    2 days
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Dog ate my shoes, so I was "popping tags" thrift shopping. I went to unique and for the price of a new pair of Chucks, I got two pair of sketchers, a pair of new balance, a winter jacket, four pair of jeans for hubby, two pair sneakers for my younger son, two pair jeans for my older son, two games, and about 10 books. Tah-dah. Holding off on getting a new program. I may do stronglifts for five weeks or repeat stage 1 of 4W and try to regain strength. (didn't realize Supercharged was only available in hardcover)

Yikes, where the hell do you buy your Chucks? They can't be that $$$!? And where is unique?
    $40 is non-sale price no that anybody would actually pay it lol. I liked Unique on my FB page. I go to the ones in Watchung and South plainfield butt there are others. My new sneakers are awesome.

I decided to restart stage one of 4W to regain strength before starting something new.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Dog ate my shoes, so I was "popping tags" thrift shopping. I went to unique and for the price of a new pair of Chucks, I got two pair of sketchers, a pair of new balance, a winter jacket, four pair of jeans for hubby, two pair sneakers for my younger son, two pair jeans for my older son, two games, and about 10 books. Tah-dah. Holding off on getting a new program. I may do stronglifts for five weeks or repeat stage 1 of 4W and try to regain strength. (didn't realize Supercharged was only available in hardcover)

Yikes, where the hell do you buy your Chucks? They can't be that $$$!? And where is unique?
    $40 is non-sale price no that anybody would actually pay it lol. I liked Unique on my FB page. I go to the ones in Watchung and South plainfield butt there are others. My new sneakers are awesome.

I decided to restart stage one of 4W to regain strength before starting something new.

You bought all of that for $40?!?
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Hi ladies - so, it sounds like there are zero bores for the amrap workouts. Still time to weigh in...

Samantha - stage 1 is great to redo, with all of the basic moves it has.

Manic - glad you are reconnected! Great job watching what you are eating during the stress of moving!
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies

I was hoping someone could give me some advise. I would like to do some HIIT today. It is a non lifting day...What do you do for calories if you add another workout? On my lifting days I add 300 cals should I do the same if I do HIIT or maybe just 200?

I do have a HRM but I am not sure where I put the chest strap..would you add the calories burned?

It would be great if someone could give some advice.

Thank you
  • lcuconley
    Options
    I eat back all of my exercise calories, so my recommendation on how much extra to eat depends on how long you are going to do HIIT.

The chest strap goes just under your boobs.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I eat back all of my exercise calories, so my recommendation on how much extra to eat depends on how long you are going to do HIIT.

The chest strap goes just under your boobs.

Thank you for your reply...I will eat them back...

And sorry English is not my mother tongue I didn't mean it that way I meant I can't find the strap :smile:

I'll have a look and see how much I burn during the session ....again thank you for your input
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think eating the calories would depend on your goals and how your calories are set now.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my last workout for stage 1. I ave a pain in the left side of my back, half way down. I know if its still there tomorrow I can't lift, I'm afraid I will hurt myself. I hope I just slept strange and it will be ok tomorrow. I want to finish.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Rachie - try to foam roll or massage yourself by lying on a tennis ball.

Daisy - there was no problem with how you wrote it...I just misunderstood! Got a good laugh!

---
    So this am, I finished stage 1...yes!! Can't wait for Friday!

I also did my 100pushup workout. I think I am going to have to repeat this week. I started on week 3, as that was the recommendation if you can do 25 pushups, but I am just not hitting the targets often enough: 22/29/20/17/29 (targets were 22/30/20/20/max).

29 is the most push-ups I have ever done in a row, so I am pretty psyched about that!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Rachie, hopefully you just slept weird and it will correct itself. Lots of stretching!

Lcu, congrats on finishing Stage 1! Also, awesome job with the pushups!

Today I have Stage 2 A2 workout. I thought yesterday that doing the bike would help my DOMS but I wasn't thinking and it just made them SO MUCH worse. Luckily, I slathered on some Arnica Gel and I'm about 85% better than I was last night. I used a little more this morning so hopefully by gym time I'm closer to 100%.

A friend of mine thinks I'd be a great candidate for Crossfit since I already incorporate WODs and from the lifting I do from the program. It is starting to sound more interesting. I don't think it's something I would consider until the fall. I want to finish this program andplusalso half mary training starts next week!
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Started week Strage 1 Week 5 yesterday. Running a week behind since I was sick . Didn't feel like I had the best workout yesterday, but those days happen. Wasn't really able to go up on any of my weights, but I still have a few days left. Hoping to break 100# on my squats and deadlifts before I'm finished with Stage 1! Everyone let me know what you think of Stage 2! I'm getting pretty excited about starting!

Lcu - 29 push ups is awesome!! I can only do about 12 -15. Congrats on finishing Stage 1!
    Rach - I hope you feel better! Sending lots of good thoughts your way!!
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies - so, it sounds like there are zero bores for the amrap workouts. Still time to weigh in...

Samantha - stage 1 is great to redo, with all of the basic moves it has.

Manic - glad you are reconnected! Great job watching what you are eating during the stress of moving!

I've decided to do the AMRAPs as my PT is away on holiday, but not sure if it was the best idea....

I did the AMRAP workout A yesterday - I am thinking I might need to take a week's break soon. I have been quite tired and just feeling off most of this week. I have two personal training sessions scheduled next week to take me through Stage two, so I might do two workouts of each of the stage 2 workouts (so I can get used to the new exercises), then take a week off, and then do another 3 sets of stage 2 workouts - but I really have no idea what is the best approach.

It was a warm day, but the gym was super massively hot yesterday so I really struggled. I used my A3 weights, but got bored of doing squats once I hit 45 reps - but then I barely managed 20 pressups, and found the seated row really hard - I think I only got to 18 reps.

Step ups got boring too, I stopped at 35 which was about my limit I think, and I forced myself to do 21 jacknifes, but they were really hard too (again, it was really hot). I thought I would do better in these sessions.

AMRAP B tomorrow.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I think AMRAP's are very important *if* you haven't already bought into the belief that strength-training is:

1. good for you;
    2. do-able; and
    3. actually progressive.

And, if you have the time to spare in the gym.

I didn't do them, myself....because, I could see my weights going up over time and that was enough "proof", for me, that strength-training is where it's at (for me/for my future).
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I got my lifting in, today. It was a bit of a long session - although I'm not sure why. Anyway, it's done.

And, it will be time to report in for the February challenge in the next day or two - and I'll feel like a total fraud if I put my streak at anything other than "2". Yes, I've had 4 work-outs this week, but nothing was "in a row" except Friday/Saturday and then Tuesday/Wednesday.

Aaaagggghhhh - I started this whole challenge thing to START a streak and, heck, I cannot even take my own advice, lol!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Also: f*cking scale.

That is all.
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Also: f*cking scale.

That is all.

This is what I said yesterday! I said my scale was angry at me, and I was told that I get it back every time I step on it - lol but also sob....