Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Amanda ~ Cant say I've actually gotten up in the middle of the night because I was hungry, but I have DEFINITELY woken up hungry!! Couldnt eat my breakfast fast enough! haha
    Also really loving eating at maintenance and suspect I should have done that earlier. Oh well. Live and learn. Keep on lifting heavy. It works if you give it time and feed your body.

I have actually JUST decided to start eating at maintenance for a while. I figure I need a break from a calorie deficit and just really need to start actually trusting the program (since I never ate at maintenance at the beginning as the book suggests). Just a question about the book calculations - how do you really decipher between an "Active workout" and a "Strenuous workout"? Would my lifting days be considered strenuous?
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Or is the "strenuous" only if you have an active job on top of working out?

(sorry if this is explained in the book... I just dont have my copy with me at work today!)
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    @DarkAngel - Strenuous would be if you also worked a very active job on top of lifting for the day. Otherwise lifting alone is just "active workout"

@kcfaber - GREAT NSV!! I'm hoping for the same thing any time!

@Birdy - I was pleasantly surprised to find recently that the servings that I've been giving my boys was in fact 1/2 cup. I'd been measuring the same way for a long time, but never thought to check to see if it was actually 1/2 cup. It's not much, but good for you for stopping! Ice cream is my biggest downfall (of course I generally serve myself more than I give my boys!).

@Amanda - welcome! I've never gotten up in the middle of the night hungry, but I'm definitely more hungry since I started lifting. Are you eating at maintenance as the book suggests? If not, you may want to increase your calories. (by the way - I have 4 boys - aren't they great?!)

So finished workout S1, 5B today. This was the first week I've noticed DOMS. Actually makes me feel good that I'm working my body hard.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I did it! I stayed on the ball for two sets of prone jackknife! Obviously I'm proud of myself. :-). It's the little things, ya know.
  • jenniet04
    Options
    I did it! I stayed on the ball for two sets of prone jackknife! Obviously I'm proud of myself. :-). It's the little things, ya know.

Great job!
  • Jessica1274
    Options
    Thanks! For some reason I had a tough time staying on the ball the first day. I bought a larger ball, so maybe that was it. Either way, I'm just glad I managed today.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. I have a problem, and would appreciate some thoughts if anybody has time.

We live out in the country, and there is a gym in a nearby town, but it really isn't very good. I bought a barbell, dumbbells and a swiss ball, and I've just finished stage 1 (now on AMRAPs). I was balancing the barbell on kitchen chairs for squats, but it wasn't very stable. We have a large, L-shaped living room, and I have been using the 'round-the-corner' end for working out. For my birthday, my SO has bought me a pair of squat stands, which do the job but they are bigger than we expected, and completely dominate the room now. I suddenly feel very depressed about what is happening to my home - I am very visually oriented, and the sight of all the equipment is really upsetting me. The weights etc were relatively easy to hide away, but the squat stands are just massive and are the final straw somehow. We do not have another room to use (and no basement, no garage), so I am completely stuck. I am very into the program - this isn't any kind of excuse for stopping, in case you were wondering!

Should I just try hard to get used to the equipment, or sell it all (and lose money) or what?!

Buy a screen or two to go infront?
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    [

Thanks Allabtim, but we've solved it now - we've got rid of a bedroom! I'm so happy!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Hi Amanda! I haven't had hunger in the middle of the night....so, unsure what that is all about. But, if you are tracking the calories, and they fit within your daily ratio, I wouldn't worry about "when" you are eating them! (Lifting DOES make one HUNGRY!)

allabt - I agree that calling this a "rest week" makes the most sense. Carry on!

Lifting makes me ravenous, and the heavier I lift the more I want to eat.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    [

Thanks Allabtim, but we've solved it now - we've got rid of a bedroom! I'm so happy!

Ooops! Happy lifting!!
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Oh boy! I feel myself slipping backwards. I am a little more than halfway through stage 1 and I think I've started getting bored with alternating the same 2 workouts week after week. I am ready to mix things up and within the last week or so I have started reverting back to my old ways (lots of cardio, and taking classes again). I haven't done an NROL workout for about a week now.
    Did anyone else find themselves in this same rut? Am I missing something here? Is stage 1 the longest of the stages? I feel like it's taking forever. I really want this to work, but I am seriously starting to wonder :(
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    right there with you all on the hunger. so very hungry. can't believe I waited this long to up my calories to maintenance. may have to increase more from here. it's got to be the lifting because I don't remember being this hungry when I was just running.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    right there with you all on the hunger. so very hungry. can't believe I waited this long to up my calories to maintenance. may have to increase more from here. it's got to be the lifting because I don't remember being this hungry when I was just running.

I'm sure it is the lifting too. I've never known anything like it!
  • jenniet04
    Options
    Oh boy! I feel myself slipping backwards. I am a little more than halfway through stage 1 and I think I've started getting bored with alternating the same 2 workouts week after week. I am ready to mix things up and within the last week or so I have started reverting back to my old ways (lots of cardio, and taking classes again). I haven't done an NROL workout for about a week now.
    Did anyone else find themselves in this same rut? Am I missing something here? Is stage 1 the longest of the stages? I feel like it's taking forever. I really want this to work, but I am seriously starting to wonder :(

If you're not enjoying it, skip ahead to stage 2. Stage 1 is just to get a base going.

Oh and yes, Stage 1 is the longest one. The rest are much shorter.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    DarkAngel - I would agree that NROL4W describes "strenuous activity" as working out when you already have an active lifestyle (i.e. your workday isn't "sedentary"....like mine...)

I like jen's idea, re: boredom in Stage 1 - if your body is up to it (and your form is very good), just move right onto Stage 2 and carry on!) Going back to cardio is going to lead to wherever it lead before - doing the same thing, you're gonna get the same result.

I had to skip my work-out, today, due to work constraints. That makes me sad. But, because of the Good Friday holiday, next week, I had an "extra" Stage 3 work-out, anyway...so, it'll all be okay.

Finally, I did my photos/measurements, today. My March holiday DEFINITELY affected my results. Which made me cry a little bit....but, I have April, May and June left to really get 'er done....so, I can still do this!
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options

If you're not enjoying it, skip ahead to stage 2. Stage 1 is just to get a base going.

Oh and yes, Stage 1 is the longest one. The rest are much shorter.

Thanks! I think I just needed to hear someone say that it was ok. I'm going to go to stage 2, and I also think I need to read parts of the book again.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options

That's awesome! The first time I tried anything with the ball, it was in front of this really hot trainer. He demonstrated how to do a plank on it (feet on the floor, elbows on the ball). Piece of cake. I got halfway set up, and rolled off the damn thing. :blushing: I thought he was going to choke from trying not to laugh at me.

But now... I can do the elbows on the ball, feet on the bench plank.

I have almost rolled backwards off of it trying to do crunches with the weight above my head...
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options

That's awesome! The first time I tried anything with the ball, it was in front of this really hot trainer. He demonstrated how to do a plank on it (feet on the floor, elbows on the ball). Piece of cake. I got halfway set up, and rolled off the damn thing. :blushing: I thought he was going to choke from trying not to laugh at me.

I have almost rolled backwards off of it trying to do crunches with the weight above my head...

Oh, yeah! I'm hearing ya! I did a face-plant off the ball with hubs watching. Had to shampoo coffee out of the carpet.

It's a good thing laughter is good for the abs, too!
  • Jessica1274
    Options

Oh, yeah! I'm hearing ya! I did a face-plant off the ball with hubs watching. Had to shampoo coffee out of the carpet.

It's a good thing laughter is good for the abs, too!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Lol! :-)
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I loved the prone jacknives so much I've added them to stage 2! Not that stage 2 needs to be any harder... glad it's short!

I'm taking a couple of days off lifting, i'm finding i'm exhausted in the evenings, then i can't sleep for hours. Possibly overtraining? Unfortunately yesterday turned into a major cheat day as a friend had an afternoon house-warming party that continued way into the night, with chinese food and way too much booze! :drinker:

But as that rarely happens i won't sweat it...

Wonder if i could do 20 mins HIIT on the bike, I don't like to take the days of completely. I'll see how my hangover goes :ohwell: