Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I broke 100# doing regular BB DLs, but I broke 125 doing DB SLDLs and owie did my glutes get a workout with them! I have crappy grip strength and use Versagripps to help that. They've really made a difference in the amount of weight I can lift.

Mary, what's the squat machine? Smith? Just be careful, I know that changes your center of gravity/stance and can do damage. Either way yea for sore niey!!

Sam I am always impressed by your step ups - I'm grateful if I an use #10 dbs for a set and always have to drop them during the 2nd and 3rd or my form just goes completely to hell.

I slept in today - I was tired last night and didn't get to bed early so I knew my workout would suffer. Tomorrow is supposed to be spin day and I cannot decide if I will spin or lift. Thoughts? Next week is screwy also, I have a gyn appt on Monday morning and have to be in my office very early on Tuesday. I'm thinking maybe I will call it a rest week. I could do 2 lift days and 1 spin day as a 2nd option. I've gotten into the early morning workout habit and I'm afraid to stop at all!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Really nice weights, Sam! Those 15 reps are killer.
    Runz, all that walking and sun is exhausting.
    Crafty, if you're keeping a deficit at all, you should see some losses. It doesn't have to be much to notice gradual changes.
    Beeps, it's just crazy how much progress can be made in a year. You've both come a long way. Keep it up!

Got up this morning prepared to go to the gym. My oldest (he's 5) woke up crying with a headache and a fever. No lifting for me today. My booty is still sore from Monday's workout so maybe it's a good thing. Gives me an extra day to get some water weight off of me for a final valid weigh-in for July so it may workout ok.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Sue, I really don't know what the squat machine is called. It is a machine all to itself. Maybe I can find a photo of it.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/pro91305.html

Similar to this one but the platform isn't as tilted. I use it slightly angled to work my glutes and quads.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    Sue - since you asked, please choose weights over cardio (i.e. spin).

chubby - hope your weigh-in is AWESOME! Drink TONS of water, you already know this...

manic - are you doing "reverse hack squats" with this machine?? I think you can, but am unsure. Ask someone at your gym what the "name" of the squat you are doing is....I've been told that 'reverse hack squats' are actually AWESOME for glutes, but we do NOT have that machine at my gym!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I had to look that up hack squat up. No, I am not doing that but sounds like something I would be interested in . I can't explain it but i get a deeper squat and my bottom is extended out further than a standing squat, make sense? I workout tomorrow and I'll ask.

I had to rest today. 4 lifting days a week is exhausting.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options

samntha - you're posting some HUGE numbers there, on your lifts!! True confessions: a) I'd be shocked if I could back squat 65 lbs - I bet I cannot; b) I'd be shocked if I could do step-ups with anything bigger than 12.5 lb DBs, and c) I can do 8 x 3 push-ups from the floor. My goal is to get to 10/12 x 3 by the end of 2013. So, LOOK AT YOU - YOU HEAVY WEIGHT-LIFTER YOU!!

:)
    THanks ladies
    Way to hit that 125 Sue!

Burned an extra 300 at the water park. gotta climb those stairs.We wait until the last two ours of operation, and then hit all the slides at once. Very short lines.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Oh! There are several similar machines at my gym, a couple are more stationary and the newest machine is very much like this. I did squats on it with my trainer one Saturday, and yes Mary, I did get deeper and yikes my butt hurt after!

Beeps, I agree - I actually have just 2 more workouts to be finished with NROL4W, so why wouldn't I finish. Lift tomorrow, lift Saturday and done! Then I'm off until Wednesday and I'll lift, spin Thursday and lift again next Saturday! Thanks for your input though, I'm glad we're on the same page!

G'nite everyone!
  • texanintokyo
    texanintokyo Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Is anyone that is doing the NROL4W following a paleo or primal diet?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    texanintokyo - I'm sure there are women doing both NROL4W and paleo/primal - but I'm not one of 'em.

sue - hmmmmmmmmmm, I totally want to know what a "good substitute" is to get that DEEP BUTT BURN when there is NOT that particular "machine" at my gym??? Find out from your trainer, please - report back!!

manic - please post progress report....you're becoming a VERY REGULAR LIFTER and I want to know how that is affecting your measurements.

I had a great day yesterday - calories in check, lifting done, and I went outside for a (very leisurely) walk last night. Maybe I'll try and repeat that "leisurely walk" a LOT more often - no pressure to "briskly walk", just to mosey along and see the sights!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Yes, Manic, more progress reports!

I never did lift yesterday so I'll be doing that in about 10 minutes.

My calories are good but I'm not hitting my protein goals :frown: I hate protein shakes :sick: I bought dark chocolate almond milk yesterday and will try adding strawberry protein powder to it... I just don't care for the added sugar :indifferent:
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Beeps, sure thing. Give me a few minutes. :bigsmile: I'm eager to know too.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Well I'm losing inches according to all my clothes...yay..being very on point calorie wise and doing all I can activity wise. You ladies keep me going and I'm looking forward to the day when I can just give it my all!

Cheers.

Let me try a photo soon :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Beeps, Runz Maniac, great job with your cals. i'm having a problem with Hershey bar today :(

Back to the gym in the AM. It's cool and rainy here. Not a happy day.

Breeze and Maniac, can't wait to hear about your progress!
  • runzalot81
    Options
    Sam, I'm about to arm wrestle a cookie. It's so sexy I think I'll let the cookie win. I spent all afternoon at the pool playing with my son so... we all win! YAY! :laugh:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I have a gut ache because i ate something that I really wasn't hungry for. 400 calories wasted.

Boo.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I didn't write down the date of first measurements. I am thinking it was at least 3 months ago. AND don't get too excited with inches lost. More than likely, the first measurements were taken during the day.

Shoulders: 41.5---41
    Natural waist: 29---28
    Belly Button: 32---29.5
    Lower Ab: 36---34
    bottom (right at the groin area): 39---38
    Hips(includes saddlebags): 42----41.5

No weight loss. The only difference I can tell is my shirts are getting TIGHTER!

Beginning today I will measure my legs and arms and see what those are Sept. 1.

As for the Hack Squats, my gym does not have the machine. Guy showed me a comparable machine but it didn't look or feel any different than the squat machine I've been using. He said I should be doing back squats so I had to go into the story about winged scapula/nerve damage. He said he would help me the next time rolling a towel around the bar.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Just checked...according to my quantum scale I have gotten back to my pre vacation weight and down .2 lbs. Because I'm not lifting and just eating to lose fat and doing activities I've decided to use the scale a bit more since I can't just go "Oh I lifted more" to gauge.

I think when I 'm ready to lift again I'll be that much further ahead if I've lost some fat in advance that's for sure.

I still feel good...I'm a nervous wreck that I'll lose muscle but I guess I'll gain it back and more in a month.

Today I'm taking a boat trip from where I live now to the island where I grew up..the sun is blasting..we sent the kids down in advance so it's going to be an awesome day!

I've hikes planned for the weekend also!

My husband and I have a dance on Saturday night which makes me so excited!

Cheers
    Carolyn
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    manic - don't bull-*kitten* a bull-sh*tter - THOSE INCHES LOST ARE AWESOME. And real. THAT'S AMAZING!

Good for you.

breeze - losing fat is all in the "diet" piece, for sure, and yes, if your bodyfat % is not where you want it to be, then it's always going to be AWESOME to focus on diet and move fat off your body - so, GOOD FOR YOU!

When you do return to weights, believe me, you'll get back up to speed VERY QUICKLY and women don't gain muscle very quickly, at all....unless you're on some koo-koo "crash diet", you aren't LOSING it as quickly as you might think, either.

Today I get to lift! And, Monday is a holiday in this country, so I get a good long weekend, with the promise of beautiful weather!

Yay!!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Yeah, Beeps. I have progress pics. You can see a difference in the abdomen area. The hips , eh, not at all. Although it does seem the cellulite is smoother in the thigh area. Don't get me wrong! I'm still extremely fatty in the butt and thighs. :grumble:

No workout today. Hubs isn't working from home and little one would be sitting at gym for over an hour. Not something I would want to do, so I am not subjecting her to it. I'll go tomorrow. Tomorrow is leg workouts. My favorite.
  • runzalot81
    Options
    I'll be taking pics next week when I finish Stage 2. I'm nervous :embarassed: