1 hmm my count was off.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    NEW THREAD!! Happy lifting ladies!!!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I did not want to lift because I just didn't wanna.:sad: Yes, I am whining. But I had to run an errand and went anyway. I had to decrease all my weights . Not sure why other than the arm workout yesterday affected my shoulder and back today. Anyway, glad I went. My mood is better and I didn't let stress and hormones dictate the rest of my day.

I hear ya, Sam. We TRY to debt snowball. I am the nerd (saver) and hubby is the free spirit (spender). But I tend to give in. I am weak .
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    OMG you guys, I am an epic failure in the debt area. We both spend too much money. Yes we're saving but not anywhere near like we should!

I had a spin class to day - brutal - and after all those deadlifts and lunges yesterday I'm already in DOM-land! YIKES! I was chatting with the leader after class - she is also a trainer and her perspective is nearly the opposite of NROL author's and just about everyone else I've read recently. She doesn't do DLs as at all and is amazed at I can/do at 61. She said "why do you do deadlifts" um... because I like being strong and I can. Then she started talking about her philosophy which seemed to be more like Crossfit and HIIT all mixed in together plus some lifting but not real heavy lifting. Now don't get me wrong, she has a rockin bod, I wish I had her shoulders arms and legs! But she's been training for 15+ years. She said "don't forget I'm a trainer" but I doubt I will use her in the near future, since her direction and mine don't jibe.

Thank goodness tomorrow is a rest day. I don't think I could move even a light weight!!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I'm hungry today! VERY HUNGRY!
  • samntha14
    Options
    MAry I'm at a wonky point in my cycle and I was by 300 carb yesterday. Today, It's 5pm and I still have 800 cals to go and my protein looks good. Some days are like that. On days that I face extreme hunger, it's usually my body telling me to eat more.

Sue, while I'm the money manager and worry wort, we both have a screw philosophy, though he spend way more then I do. Then again we living in NJ, ha ha. I tell people what we make and they shake their heads. THey don't understand why we have a hard time, especially considering our lifestyle. (it's humble folks) On the bright side, other than student loans we have NO outstanding debt. It's just month to month bills that kill us.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    American deadlifts are AWESOME for the "glutes". Since I don't hardly do any squatting anymore (other than bowler squats - do those even "count"!!??)

Also, someone was posting somewhere that there was a groupon for $175 to get your personal training certificate. Ummmmm, if you can get a "personal training" certificate, offered through Groupon, then I guess there really isn't any "legitimacy" left to the business of "personal trainers"!!! My goodness!!! Be VERY wary!

I'm totally glad I'm in a highly-regulated profession.....at least I know the peeps I am colleagues with had to get some legitimate education, spend plenty o' money and time to get designations, etc.

Anyhooooooooo
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Yes, I will eat more today. My body needs it but I hope to make better choices the rest of the evening. Which is hard to do when I can't go to the grocery store until next week. We are really trying to eat what we have in the house and not spend $$ at the grocery store this week. That being said, no fresh veggies, fruit, (canned or frozen fruits and veggies we do have), or lunch meat, I have a hankering for cottage cheese right now :(

The month to month bills like electric, gas, ATT (landline, cells, internet , and tv), and insurances!!! It's crazy. We pay $900 a month for various insurances. THAT'S INSANE.:explode: I remember when husband and I got married in 1992. He just had to bring home $180 /weekly for us to survive. That kind of money now does NOT cover one of those bills I mentioned.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Sue, sounds like she's pretty "old school". Fitness is just like any other profession related to health it seems to me. Keeping up with all the new research and information can sometimes be overwhelming. I think so many of the "trainers" I see at my gym are still training clients based on what they knew from when they became certified. A lot can change in a few years. Hope your DOMS goes away!

Mary, I am starving today too. Don't know what is up with me, but I just want to bake cookies, muffins, cupcakes. I'm normally not like this at this stage of the month. I'm usually in a "healthy" phase. Mayne it's because I've gone back to cutting after 3 weeks of maintenance. Good for you for making yourself go to the gym in spite of feeling blah.

Sam, some days you just need some carbs. I wish I could do lower carbs like Sue, but I just am not cut out for it.

Beeps, I totally agree that it should be a little more difficult to be a personal trainer. However, sometimes the money, time, and intelligence still isn't enough to weed out the "bad" ones. I work with doctors and, well, you know....

QOTD: I don't think I made any resolutions other than to continue lifting and lose as much body fat as I can this year. So far, so good.

Got my workout in today. Planks and planks with pulldowns then 3 sets of 12 reps of BSS, DBSP, back squats, and inverted rows.. I've decided anything over 10 reps feels like cardio to me. I just don't like it. I know they serve their purpose, but I start to lose concentration after the 8th rep, LOL. I get distracted easily. Regardless, I was able to up my weights in everything. And I did a set of 8 hip thrusts with 155lbs to finish off(would've done more, but the kids were getting crazy by that time). Talk about a Booty Burn! WOOT!
  • samntha14
    Options
    I'm with you on the reps Cowgirl. I did 15 reps today. I just kept thinking, Am I done yet!" 15 reps of 90 felt pretty awesome though. At least the number of reps will go down each week for me. Oh, I totally forgot to mention that I did 15 push ups on the floor quick and easy.

My macros and cals were dead on today. yay!!

Beeps, my profession used to be highly regulated. Don't even get me started!!!
    Is an American DL a standard DL? as opposed to stiff legged or Romanian DL?
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad y'all got a laugh out of my crack problems :laugh:

I haven't had any issues with wonky appetite lately but I know what y'all mean.

So, we went out to the Kid Fit thing last night. DH rode his bike along with the kid group. DS crashed and broke the light on his bike but he was fine. DH crashed and broke his left wrist and right elbow. Then, they got separated from the group, got lost, and finally came rolling in 20 minutes after everyone else. I wasn't with them at all so when I saw my husband riding up with only one arm I was WTF?!! He didn't know that he had broken bones until we went to the ER. :embarassed:

Oh, did I tell you? He broke the right wrist in January trying to rollerblade :huh: At least he doesn't have to have any surgery this time. He let DS and I talk him into a dinosaur cast for the broken wrist :laugh: What a great sport!

Between the rollerblading and biking accidents, he's making fitness look overrated :noway:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Weekend company arrived last night - I survived, but only because I'd had a couple drinks at my book club, first, lol! Hubby drives down to meet my parents and pick up our 2 littlest kidlets this morning....he'll bring them back and hit the waterpark with our weekend company. I, gratefully, am at work.

I will go lift at lunch. The weather looks BEAUTIFUL today, but not gonna be that great over the weekend. Poop.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    You can watch a youtube.com video (by Bret C.) on the "American Deadlift". It is a pretty straight-legged deadlift, with a hip thrust thrown in. I've only been trying them for a couple weeks, but, it's been a nice "change" from regular ol' deadlifts, anyway.
  • CraftymominIL
    CraftymominIL Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new. I just started the program about two weeks ago. I am mostly doing this from home with dumbbells but I do have a bar. I also have a family pass to a gym so my plan is to go there for my Sunday workout for 7 weeks to see if I really think I need to join. I finished the fourth workout of "B" last night in stage one. I love how I feel (well maybe not right after lunges).

I am very encouraged by my results so far. I just took some measurements and I've already lost 3.5". I have been using MFP calorie suggestions set to lose one pound a week (1470) with my carbs set at 40%, protein 30%, fat 30% plus eating my exercise calories and I'm still losing a pound a week so I changed it to .5 pounds a week (1680) now. I know it's better for me to eat more and my body will adapt. I am currently 5'7" and 167.6#. The biggest things I've learned so far are that I knew so little about what my body needed in the past and it's never to late to be in the best shape of your life (I'm 47).

I'm looking forward to getting to know you. I'm sure I will have questions along the way : )
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Welcome craftymom, looks like you've found your niche! congrats on the weight loss, inches lost and joining NROL4W here! So what do you craft? I'm a knitter!

Runz ouch! Glad no surgery but yikes, that's a bunch of broken bones in a year's time!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I had 4 light beers at my book club last night...stepped on the scale, today for my weekly weigh-in and TA-DA am down a LB.

Gotta love it when you can drink 4 BEERS and be down a POUND!

Moral: DRINK MORE BEER!

yay venus!
  • samntha14
    Options
    Oh man Runz that's the pits. I hope he heals quick. My hubby has been forewarned that if he ever needs surgery again after an accident, his bikes will be sold and he we spend the rest of his life being a fat *kitten*. Glad, your at least avoided surgery.

Feeling a little DOMS in my quads today. didn't keep me from bowling a 151. Damn I just keep getting better :laugh:

Welcome Craftymom, Sounds like you are off and running.

Beeps, Beer/alcohol is great for dehydrating you even with the extra calories :wink: yay beer. You are doing awesome!!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm impossibly bloated or gaining weight. I just hate the way I feel right now :sick:

I'm going to lower my calories from 1800 to 1600.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm home! Finally...I feel like BLAH...and I can't go back to the gym for another month but I can do some things..I will hike and eat clean and get ready to start NR again when kids go to school....maybe sooner since I found a 13 year old nearby who babysits! I need to get my finances back on track from this trip..the wedding was great but financially draining as you can imagine...I know I've gained fat in the middle and I hate it...I fit my smallest shorts before I left...I'm not even going to look at them now..just moving forward with the clean eating plan and the exercise...I'm in charge of the food now...finally...
  • CraftymominIL
    CraftymominIL Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome craftymom, looks like you've found your niche! congrats on the weight loss, inches lost and joining NROL4W here! So what do you craft? I'm a knitter!

Thanks for the welcome! I have knit, crocheted, sewed, made soap, all kinds of crafty stuff.