Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• BreMurie
    BreMurie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow, so much (in my opinion) mis-information floating around here at mfp.

You aren't in "starvation mode" if you eat 1,200 calories per day.

If you are gaining weight, or you are maintaining your weight, you are not in a calorie deficit. Likely due to 2 factors:

1. you over-estimate (in a BIG WAY), what calories you burn doing exercise (as in, you likely don't burn very much - discount it entirely); and
    2. you under-estimate the calories in the food you are eating (as in, without exact weighing/measuring, you're ingesting more calories than you think you are).

I gained weight while on NROL4W. Why? Because I was eating too much. Very simple and there you have it.

Nobody *likes* to hear that you are eating too much, but that's the plain-and-simple truth.

Here's what I live by:

1. eat at a calorie deficit to lose body fat;
    2. lift heavy free weights to change body shape.

Those are my 2 "golden rules", and they should NOT be confused. Because they are NOT the same thing.

Thank you I appreciate that!! I recently bought a food scale so I have incorporated that into my calorie counting, I use a HRM for workouts, so I hope its semi-accurate! I think I will take your advice and NOT increase calories right now. Thank you for the help!!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here on my couch forcing my eyes open, trying to figure out when and how to go to the gym today so I can do Zumba tomorrow. Today was full of running around and Dr. visits and it's my week to feel blah. I need to start taking vitamins again. After all the back and forth, I will try to nap now so I can workout when my son gets home at 7. hubby may be home by seven since it may rain,s o it may not matter. I will go. Beeps, you got two rubber arms with the one. (kids club closes at 8 so If i;m not there at 7 I can't finish my workout. I know that when I go in feeling tired I have to watch my weights so I don't lose concentration and hurt myself.

Welcome to all of the new ladies!!

Bre I can almost guarantee it's water, so don't panic yet. How much did you adjust calories by?

I changed my calories to go by what the book said... I was at 1500 calories but the book said to do your tdee, should I maybe go back to 1500?? I only did one day of bumped cals... :-/

ETA my TDEE cal amount is 2030

I did a few days with 1500 plus added exercise calories and I was SO HUNGRY yesterday. I ate 900 calories over my TDEE (1995). So I think I'm going to shoot for more 1600-1900 depending how hard I exercise.
    That range definitely sounds more appropriate. you have to feed your muscles.
  • samntha14
    Options
    I'm going to throw this out there, so please excuse my rant. If you are eating below BMR you ARE starving yourself, and you can lift and cardio until the cows come home and you will continue to store fat NOT burn it. Point blank no discussion. I had some other thoughts and opinions, but it made too many generalizations. Unless you're smarter than Lou, ALwyn AND Rachel, I would never tell anyone to eat 1200 a day unless they are 5'0'' and that's their TDEE. That's why I live here in the lifter chick forum and not the skinny b*tch forum. I know quite a few people now who did metabolic resets successfully, and are much happier for it. But you have to have the cajones to be willing to gain a few pounds initially. We have these debates every time there's new people and they inevitably ask, "How much should I be eating?" Frankly you have to figure that out for yourself. What works for one person may not work for another. I always let MFP do the math the way it is designed. These days I eat at maintenance. Runz I adjust for the Summer and set to sedentary. When I go back to work, I'll reset for lightly active. When I want to lose a little bit, set for quarter to half pound a week. It takes longer, but I don't damage my muscle development. I don't measure or weigh or agonize over every piece of food I put in my mouth either. Obsession of any kind to me is disordered thinking, and I am too blessed to be stressed as they say. (I spent a year in therapy to be able to say that mind you.) Unless you have a medical condition that requires a VERY STRICT diet, for me good enough is good enough. Foe the new people who don't know I'm hypoglycemic, so my protein levels are very important. I watch that actually more than my calories.

PS: my size 8s are falling off my waist today fresh out of the dryer, and I did 2x12@115 back squats and 20, yes people, 20 on the floor push ups.
  • samntha14
    Options
    OK get this! Am I weird or what?

I had my yearly exam a couple weeks ago. For several years, I have complained of horrible PMS. Dr said one of my options was a hysterectomy. I thought for a few minutes and said , "I am not ready for that." Want to know my reasons? 1. I am a coupon shopper. I had just bought 6 boxes of tampons a couple weeks before 2. I knew that would mean no lifting for several weeks and didn't want to restart the process all over!

:noway:
    Mary, I'm not connecting the dots here. A hysterectomy would put you in early menopause, hell on earth basically. Has the Dr. recommended ANYTHING else, vitamin therapy, hormone therapy. I tried so many things to deal with my PMS before finding a balance I can live with. And I don't blame you for one minute for not wanting to waste your products. Mine are wasting away under my sink, I really should just give them away (no flow with IUD).
  • samntha14
    Options
    Last crazy thing for the day. Some little old lady crashed her car into the gym today. She was in drive instead of reverse, jumped the curb, and impaled her car into a pillar. Luckily she hit the pillar on the left, hand she gone right, she wold have smashed through the plate glass window and landed in the pool. She only suffered minor injuries thankfully.
  • BreMurie
    Options
    I'm going to throw this out there, so please excuse my rant. If you are eating below BMR you ARE starving yourself, and you can lift and cardio until the cows come home and you will continue to store fat NOT burn it. Point blank no discussion. I had some other thoughts and opinions, but it made too many generalizations. Unless you're smarter than Lou, ALwyn AND Rachel, I would never tell anyone to eat 1200 a day unless they are 5'0'' and that's their TDEE. That's why I live here in the lifter chick forum and not the skinny b*tch forum. I know quite a few people now who did metabolic resets successfully, and are much happier for it. But you have to have the cajones to be willing to gain a few pounds initially. We have these debates every time there's new people and they inevitably ask, "How much should I be eating?" Frankly you have to figure that out for yourself. What works for one person may not work for another. I always let MFP do the math the way it is designed. These days I eat at maintenance. Runz I adjust for the Summer and set to sedentary. When I go back to work, I'll reset for lightly active. When I want to lose a little bit, set for quarter to half pound a week. It takes longer, but I don't damage my muscle development. I don't measure or weigh or agonize over every piece of food I put in my mouth either. Obsession of any kind to me is disordered thinking, and I am too blessed to be stressed as they say. (I spent a year in therapy to be able to say that mind you.) Unless you have a medical condition that requires a VERY STRICT diet, for me good enough is good enough. Foe the new people who don't know I'm hypoglycemic, so my protein levels are very important. I watch that actually more than my calories.

PS: my size 8s are falling off my waist today fresh out of the dryer, and I did 2x12@115 back squats and 20, yes people, 20 on the floor push ups.

Thank you I appreciate your feedback as well!! I will take this all into consideration. I keep thinking that I'll figure my magic number.. the time I had the MOST progress I wasn't counting calories just making smart choices.. I wish I had an idea of what I was consuming then... I think I will stick to what I've been doing for the first stage and make adjustments from there!
  • samntha14
    Options
    I just ran my cals from the book. It has me at 1716 for maintenance, oh look at that, it's EXACTLY what MFP has me at when set to sedentary. (Used the over 35 calculator)

Sounds like a plan Bre. Most people don't adjust until after stage one. At that point you get a better idea of what YOUR body will do.

Now I have to go find a belt because my jeans are seriously annoying me. :laugh:
  • BreMurie
    Options
    I just ran my cals from the book. It has me at 1716 for maintenance, oh look at that, it's EXACTLY what MFP has me at when set to sedentary. (Used the over 35 calculator)

Sounds like a plan Bre. Most people don't adjust until after stage one. At that point you get a better idea of what YOUR body will do.

Now I have to go find a belt because my jeans are seriously annoying me. :laugh:

I hope my pants fall off soon ;)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I got my lifting done.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    The feedback is great! Thanks, Everyone!

I'm gonna stick to 1600 for another little awhile and just be patient. I'll reevaluate two weeks into the school year.

I started Stage 3 today. What a butt kicker! It's quite a change to 6 reps and I kept having to increase weights with each progressive set :glasses:

Sam, glad the little old lady is okay... Crazy story! :noway:

Does anyone know how to get rid of the ticker?
  • samntha14
    Options

I'm gonna stick to 1600 for another little awhile and just be patient. I'll reevaluate two weeks into the school year.

I started Stage 3 today. What a butt kicker! It's quite a change to 6 reps and I kept having to increase weights with each progressive set :glasses:

Profile settings, edit ticker.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options

Profile settings, edit ticker.
    Still can't find it :embarassed:
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    OK get this! Am I weird or what?

I had my yearly exam a couple weeks ago. For several years, I have complained of horrible PMS. Dr said one of my options was a hysterectomy. I thought for a few minutes and said , "I am not ready for that." Want to know my reasons? 1. I am a coupon shopper. I had just bought 6 boxes of tampons a couple weeks before 2. I knew that would mean no lifting for several weeks and didn't want to restart the process all over!

:noway:
    Mary, I'm not connecting the dots here. A hysterectomy would put you in early menopause, hell on earth basically. Has the Dr. recommended ANYTHING else, vitamin therapy, hormone therapy. I tried so many things to deal with my PMS before finding a balance I can live with. And I don't blame you for one minute for not wanting to waste your products. Mine are wasting away under my sink, I really should just give them away (no flow with IUD).

I've been on antidepressants to help with the mood swings for about 10 years now. He said what I am experiencing with PMS and the medication would be the same as menopause. Like I said, we've been doing that option for 10 years . :frown: He said I wouldn't be a candidate for hormone therapy unless I had a hysterectomy. Being on a even level of hormones sounds heavenly to me. but just not ready for that. I don't want to stop working out for 6 weeks. Isn't that insane! I know me. It's so hard to get back in that mode.
  • samntha14
    Options
    whatever is best for your health and mental state. I understand how exhausting the emotional yoyo can be :flowerforyou:
  • samntha14
    Options
    So I actually managed to do two workouts yesterday, lifting in the morning and Zumba late last night. I burned almost 700 cals in zumba alone. They were trying to kill us for sure. Oddly the dude did the same exact routine as a friend of mine, except she does it in half an hour and he blew through it in 15 minutes. It wouldn't have been bad because it's not a particularly hard routine, but he did five songs without stopping. We usually get a a few seconds to breathe between songs.
  • samntha14
    Options
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i pulled it together, and got myself up and into the gym this morning at 5. did S3A2 and totally crushed it! :bigsmile: FEELING GOOD!

hope everyone has had a wonderful start to their thursday!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Sam, I want to do Zumba but I am sooooo uncoordinated. LOL Hard to believe I was a cheerleader or on a Dance team in high school, huh?:laugh:

I am uber sore from lifting last night. My son showed me a new squat machine because the one I typically used was being used. I LIKE IT! I couldn't use any weights to push it up from a squat. WOOHOO!

Have to get my eyes tested today and probably dilated so no gym for me today. My eyes stay dilated forever! I'll probably walk around the neighborhood this evening.

Catch yall in a few!

OH, to the ladies asking about calories. YOU must find out what works for you. Sam, Cowgirl, and Sue are losing (or did) lose mega weight , whereas, I gained 6 pounds following the program. I think Beeps gained too.
  • BreMurie
    Options
    I want to do zumba too! Does anyone have a DVD recommendation? I searched Amazon but its hard to choose without any knowledge!
  • samntha14
    Options
    This is one of my instructors. she has a you tube channel. She isn't over complicated as some people can be. And she's definitely a personality :)http://www.youtube.com/user/tinazumbaqueen?feature=watch

I wish Anniely did this because she is by far the BEST.