Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Ok it official 2014 needs to just stop right now. So much death and sadness. A colleague lost a student yesterday. She was five years old and already had two heart transplants. I was at my counselor's office with my boys when I got the message and cried all the way home. Nothing in the world makes sense any more.

On a lighter note, finally started reading Supercharged with my down time today, and will be returning to the gym tomorrow.
    Oh, Sam, I'm sorry! You've been through enough in 2014. I pray the remainder is peaceful for you! :flowerforyou:
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Manic, for my mornings, I have:

1 Scoop 100% Whey Protein Isolate
    1 Scoop Slimfast Powder (to boost the protein intake)
    1 Banana
    1.5 cup Triple Berry Blend (Blackberries, Raspberries, Blueberries)
    1 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk

Blend all in a Magic Bullet, and voila! Yummo!! :love:
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, I eat quick oats with almond milk, peanut butter, and honey. Many weeks, I also have two pieces of bacon.

My AMRAPs sucked yesterday but whatever. I really need some time off.
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Give myself a 2/3 this week got all the lifting and running in. Got all the protein and boy does my digestion feel it LOL NSV: 10 minute miles!! 25# DB shoulder presses!! Fell off with the cals twice.

Did stage 1 am raps yesterday, then ran 2.5 miles at 6.0 mph pace, felt awesome. Must have kicked my *kitten* because my legs felt totally dead today and even running slow felt like chore. Even ab work was like, no. Normal?

I apologize - do not remember who said this, thought it was on this thread. Thought someone said they did NROL4W and they didn't lose weight or inches,just stayed the same and they were going to try again the right way. I bring this up because that might be me, too. Don't think I've lost weight or inches. Trainer taking measurements tomorrow - will know for sure then. I'm 5'5" 148 lb 49 yo. Book says 1700 is maintenance and 2000 for workout days. I set cals at 1700 and shoot for 1500, sometimes go over 1500.

Anyway the person who said they did NROL4W wrong, wrong what do you feel you did wrong and what are you going to change the next time around?

Don't worry about it. Most of the people posting in the older threads and around the web said they didn't see much change in their body in stage one and that the body recomp didn't start until stage two or three. After reading the book and all the stages again I think that stage one is supposed to build a foundation for lifting while stages 2-5 are supposed to be fat blasters, stage 6 is the strength gainer, and stage 7 is the quick blast fat killer for the final tighten and tone. I did 2B2 last night and had a revelation about how these workouts are put together. I'm sure it's explained in Supercharged but I did notice a trend. Every workout is set up: compound lift, superset of an upper body and then lower body move, upper body lower body super set again, ab work (which targets upper, lower, then obliques) then back work. At least for the B workout. I didn't go back and break down the A but I think the B workout is always the harder of the two. So what's the point of knowing that? Well I'm one of those people that enjoys things more when I understand the logistics behind it. I'm not going to complain about all the ab work and lunges now that I understand the pattern and purpose. And when I'm done with lifting for women I can (maybe) put together my own routine now that I know how to set one up. SO all of that to say don't stress out. There is a method to the madness and the weight loss will come. Don't chuck the program out the window yet!
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sam: I'm sorry this has been such a tough year for you. Here's hoping that it gets better :flowerforyou:
    Manic: For breakfast I have: 1 cup of greek yogurt, 1 scoop of Body Fire's vanilla protein powder, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips and a splash of vanilla. I dump the ingredients in a small mason jar and then mix them up when I get to work. Combine that with the high protein coffee in the book ( I use a cup of almond milk because body fire's protein powder is really sweet to me) and I've got 80 grams of protein just for breakfast.
    Pudding: When MFP changes my protein I ignore them and the petty and childish parts of me are pleased :laugh:

2B2 is in the books and I am officially halfway through stage 2 :glasses: and the scale number is starting to drop FINALLY. Didn't get my Tabata in last night so I'm going to do it when I go home today. I'm really happy with this program so far.
  • mnsmov15
    mnsmov15 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    redlipstick - You got it 100% right!!

I am not following the nutrition info from the book, and I have not lost any weight. If anything, I have gained 3lbs so far, but I feel the same and fit into all my clothes. I am counting on stage 2 coming through :)

From the FB group FAQ, for ppl looking to lose weight, here's what's suggested.

"Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 7, Stage 4 (about 16 weeks or so) - Then try the programs in Rachel's book, Drop Two Sizes (8 weeks), and then the program in NROL4 life (12 weeks). Boom - 36 week program.Stages 3,5 and 6 are more strength focused. Stage 6 is focused on developing your strength to do chin-ups so that's a pretty cool program if you want to do that. "
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Sam, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope the rest of your year brings you some calm relief.

Manic, great job on the protein! Eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and protein powder were my go-to's. There's lots of great ideas from everyone above/previous page :)
    Jo, sorry for your rash troubles. I've never heard of that problem before, Are there any remedies?
    Barbell, sorry to hear of your shin, ouch! Hope you have a better day today :)
    Pudding, I tend to go with the pre-workout protein goals. It can be a little too challenging, especially without meat.
    Bepee, your morning shake sounds delish!
    Redlips, 80g just in breakfast is impressive!

Work was crap yesterday and I just couldn't bring myself to deal with people again so I played hermit instead of going to the gym. However, I surprised both my husband and myself by waking up at 5:15 today for a morning workout! :noway: Who am I?? LOL The key for this sleepy lazy girl is putting my phone clear on the other side of the room, so I can't turn off the alarm in my sleep haha. I hope I can turn this phenomenon into a routine, it's nice to know my w/o is out of the way and I can focus on chores and QT with the hubby after work :) PLUS the gym is soooooo empty, I pretty much have free reign :bigsmile:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    samntha - you sound like you are at your wit's end! I hope you are attending to sufficient self-care....

manic - yay on your protein! I rarely get more than 80 or 85 g of protein in. And I'm like 6" taller than you! I don't believe it has limited my recomp attempt....dunno, maybe it has, but I don't have anymore calories to eat, so that tends to be where the macro lies at the end of my (deficit) day.

Congrats to all you lady lifters! Look at you....just getting it done!

No lifting for me, today....I have a nice lunch out with a gf who turned 51 on Saturday.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I'm taking the protein intake one day at a time. I am high carb eater. Today might be different.

I am sore from yesterday. Hopefully I'll have the motivation to lift today.

Thanks for the ideas.
  • Point202
    Point202 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sam, you definitely need a spa weekend. :flowerforyou:

I had watermelon for a snack and it just bumped me up another gram of protein :bigsmile: 88 g for the day. I need to eat protein for breakfast. Eggs ..... they aren't my fave but I can do it.

What do yall have in the am?

Have you tried these? http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/broccoli-and-cheese-mini-egg-omelets-2.html

Very easy to throw together a batch on the weekend, and then easy to reheat in the microwave in the morning for a quick protein with breakfast. I usually have a small bowl of cereal or oatmeal with them.
  • Point202
    Point202 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Most of the people posting in the older threads and around the web said they didn't see much change in their body in stage one and that the body recomp didn't start until stage two or three. After reading the book and all the stages again I think that stage one is supposed to build a foundation for lifting while stages 2-5 are supposed to be fat blasters, stage 6 is the strength gainer, and stage 7 is the quick blast fat killer for the final tighten and tone. I did 2B2 last night and had a revelation about how these workouts are put together. I'm sure it's explained in Supercharged but I did notice a trend. Every workout is set up: compound lift, superset of an upper body and then lower body move, upper body lower body super set again, ab work (which targets upper, lower, then obliques) then back work. At least for the B workout. I didn't go back and break down the A but I think the B workout is always the harder of the two. So what's the point of knowing that? Well I'm one of those people that enjoys things more when I understand the logistics behind it. I'm not going to complain about all the ab work and lunges now that I understand the pattern and purpose. And when I'm done with lifting for women I can (maybe) put together my own routine now that I know how to set one up. SO all of that to say don't stress out. There is a method to the madness and the weight loss will come. Don't chuck the program out the window yet!

Thanks for this. I'm only two weeks into stage 1, and my scale has already totally stalled out. I knew going into this that could happen, and keep reminding myself this is about fitness not a number on the scale, but goodness it is already frustrating me. I'll be looking forward to those "fat blaster" stages :)
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

I think I naturally like a lot of protein so don't really worry about getting enough. My go to breakfast most days of the week is quck cooking steel cut oats, almond milk, cinniamon, frozen blueberries, 1/4 of a banana and Tbls of sliced almonds. Mid moring snack is either 6 oz of lowfat greek yogurt with a little bit of sweenter and berries and 2 Tbls granola or two hard boiled eggs.
    The steel cout oats have made all difference in controlling my blood sugar. I buy it in a 40 poung bag. I cook one cup of quick cooking steel cut oats in 2 cups of water for 7 minutes then devide it into 4ths for 4 servings. microwave each serving with the almond milk and add toppings. Quick, easy and I don't waste time thinking what I'll have for breakfast.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I have a friend doing the same stuff for her scoliosis. My gym LA FItness has everything you're looking for and a hot tub for those stiff sore days. Perhaps you have one in your area. BEst of luck with your therapy. I only pay $20 for single location.
    [/quote]

Actually I am considering LA fitness in my area, right now I'm finding fees of 99$ down and 30$ month.... I'm in between two, one with a pool and one no pool (but a new gym is being built to replace this one right now). I haven't actually been to either one ever so I will be checking them out.
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Give myself a 2/3 this week got all the lifting and running in. Got all the protein and boy does my digestion feel it LOL NSV: 10 minute miles!! 25# DB shoulder presses!! Fell off with the cals twice.

Did stage 1 am raps yesterday, then ran 2.5 miles at 6.0 mph pace, felt awesome. Must have kicked my *kitten* because my legs felt totally dead today and even running slow felt like chore. Even ab work was like, no. Normal?

I apologize - do not remember who said this, thought it was on this thread. Thought someone said they did NROL4W and they didn't lose weight or inches,just stayed the same and they were going to try again the right way. I bring this up because that might be me, too. Don't think I've lost weight or inches. Trainer taking measurements tomorrow - will know for sure then. I'm 5'5" 148 lb 49 yo. Book says 1700 is maintenance and 2000 for workout days. I set cals at 1700 and shoot for 1500, sometimes go over 1500.

Anyway the person who said they did NROL4W wrong, wrong what do you feel you did wrong and what are you going to change the next time around?

thank you for posting! this is really quite sensible. and you've taken the time to analyze the program correctly, so helpful! like most of us i want it all now and with weight training there's a longer view. good to know that others have experienced the same thing. sounds like mnsmov is saying the same thing. wondered if there was more i should be doing - not that it matters - since i'm pretty maxed out with 5-6 workouts a week. no time for more than that. really looking forward to stage 2.

mnsmov: liked the recommendation from facebook. will re-assess at the end of stage and see if it makes sense. thanks for posting that.

y'all are awesome!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I am on a TEAR, today....I just have HAD it with any woman who is a MARTYR, has MARTYR-tendencies that she can't control, is MARTYR-ish. All of it.

If *you* want to be a martyr, by all means, go to town! But then you CANNOT complain about how hard you work, how much you sacrifice, how little sleep you get, WHATEVER. Go be martyr and then stfu already!

Now, since NOBODY here at NROL4W is a martyr, hopefully it is gonna be OKAY that I wrote that!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options

I won't be much help lol I have a tea or a coffee in the morning and generally don't have anything else except water until midday-ish. I'm one of those annoying people who just isn't hungry in the morning and prefers biiiig lunches and dinners :smile:

However, that said, when I do have breakfast, its either basic bran cereal + berries, bacon & eggs or pancakes (sometimes all 3 one after the other). I'm pretty boring really lol

Our general diet is pretty high in protein anyway, so I don't worry too much - lots of eggs, chicken, lean red meat, nuts etc

I am on a TEAR, today....I just have HAD it with any woman who is a MARTYR, has MARTYR-tendencies that she can't control, is MARTYR-ish. All of it.

If *you* want to be a martyr, by all means, go to town! But then you CANNOT complain about how hard you work, how much you sacrifice, how little sleep you get, WHATEVER. Go be martyr and then stfu already!

Now, since NOBODY here at NROL4W is a martyr, hopefully it is gonna be OKAY that I wrote that!

*quietly passes Beeps a vodka* It's only 11am here, but I'm happy to help :wink: :flowerforyou: (if you don't drink vodka, I also have beer, wine and other spirits available, also tea, coffee and hot chocolate :happy: )
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm 100% a beer girl!

Thank you!

:)
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    NO martyr here .

GUESS WHAT!!!! 115 g protein today :drinker: but I am over 500 cals (including exercise cals MFP has me set at 1200 and I ate over 1700 today :grumble: )

Lifted first and HIIT 2nd. I could only do 10 minutes today because I had leg workout.

Thanks for the breakfast ideas. DNA, I am pretty much the same way, but I do wake up hungry 2-3 days a week.

Oatmeal and toast (my to go to breakfast) keeps me fuller longer but it lacks protein and I want to get in as much as I can.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    A bunch a chatty Cathy's today lol. I love it. You are all awesome.

Ok body recomp in 4W. I can only talk about my experience (recap for the new ladies, sorry to every one else who's heard it a million times.) I didn't really lose that much scale weight (less than 10 lbs over all) but I lost 21 inches and went from a size 14 to a size 8 and eventually a size 6 with the later programs. I ate 300 under maintenance when I was losing lbs and ate at maintenance when I was losing inches and I let good old MFP do the math and set my macros to 45/25/30 ( I like carbs and as a former veg head, it still bugs me eating so much meat, so I stick to chicken and tuna) I eat every three hours out of necessity (hypoglycemic), but it woks to keep my metabolism going throughout the day and I'm NEVER hungry.

Manic, way to go with the protein! you'll be at 100g before you know it. Breakfast smoothies are awesome! also, the great thing about eggs is that there are about 100 ways to cook them, including those cool little omelets you make in a muffin tin, you are bound o find one you like. I actually add protein powder to my oatmeal, but most mornings I make an egg sandwich with 2 eggs, veggies sausage and cheese on whole grain English muffin. I notice that if I get at least 30g of protein in the morning, I stay satisfied longer.

Did my first workout of Supercharged. LOVED it!. I did all level one exercises and it was still a great workout and I killed my intervals. I even got my HR up to 163 without dying lol. I came home, put on my new gym outfit and set off, then got front door parking. It was meant to be a good gym day :)

HAppy lifting ladies.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Will, thank you and waayyy to go!!!

Manic..congrats on the protein intake!!!

Beeps..lol @ 'beer girl' If I may, is MARTYR some kind of acronym?

Just coming down from my Zumba high...there will no TRX Suspension Training, Hip Hops Abs or Zumba classes this Thursday (sob sob)...but I am so addicted to the high!

Tomorrow I lift!

Lift on fair ladies!! :flowerforyou: