Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    So, chat here about all things weight-lifting for women....
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Jamaican, what an *kitten*! He sounds like an intimidated jerk.
    Susnhine, welcome!
    Pmagnan, woohoo! What an excellent NSV, I'm jealous! :)
    Sam, that sounds so fun, what a great weekend with your boys!
    Manic, sounds like you and I are in a similar place right now. Donuts for you, ice cream for me lol
    Beeps, what a beautiful necklace :) and nice packing! one suitcase is a toughy!
    Dna, your husband sounds like he goes all out, even if it's on a 'need' rather than a 'want' lol. Happy for you on the cream cheese!

Well I'm once again 1/3 this week. I did pretty well during the week with my food intake but ended up making some delicious decisions over the weekend including lots o' beer. UGH lol. We also took a trip to a farm and picked strawberries, some of which I used to make jam :). The foodie and wino in me is seriously killing my other ambitions. Simply put, I'm eating too much, even if it's "healthy" homemade food, I still eat too much of it (or drink it!). Then on top of that, I can't seem to make it to the gym. I'm making excuses really. I just need to DO IT.
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    So I wrote this whole post about goals and things but the thread rolled and my masterpiece was lost. I give myself a 3/3 this week. I've subbed cardio with Tabata's and I got those done this week. I also did all my lifting and hit my protein. My NSV is that I did 75 second planks during my 2A2 workout instead of 60 seconds and actually did my Tabatas. This is my last full week in stage 2 and I'm really happy with how fast the stages go by. I don't understand taking a full week off in between stages when they are this short. I don't plan on taking breaks at all but rolling straight through. I may potentially take a break at the end of stage 6 but I doubt it highly. Have a great week ladies!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to add my NSV, which I'm actually quite proud of! We bought a jar of nutella and a jar of peanut butter on our grocery trip on Wednesday, and I didn't open either until 3 days later, had 1 serving of each, and haven't had another serving since. I know this sounds weird, but these two items together were a huge binge risk for me in the past, so having them around for this long without going crazy is a huge NSV for me :)

ETA and sorry for your lost masterpiece Redlips!
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound weird at all willlift! That's a great NSV
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Willlift! awesome.

I managed to lift today FIRST. I barely had the energy to do HIIT. How long should I do HIIT?

AND guess what?? I 've had 52 g of protein so far today. :drinker: (Considering that is a complete day's total for me.) I drank muscle milk powder. It hasn't hurt my tummy so far but I do have that bloat. I used water........

So these are my new goals for this month:

1. lift first. hiit 2nd
    2. more protein . I want to hit at least 75.
    3. no weighing! This is gonna be so hard.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    2.5/3 and somehow I lost a pound. :happy:

DNAmouse: I have to tell you for some reason when you first described your husband getting you a custom bedroom wardrobe that would benefit him too I thought you meant he got you lingerie! :blushing:

Cowgirl: I am seeing a VERY good chiropractor, a leader in his field who has travelled with and works on Olympic athletes. He recommended Pilates for my specific combination of issues (s-i joint, scoliosis) and swimming (opening upper back and shoulders). It all has to do with increaseing/ensuring core strength as I age, etc. So I might be having to join a gym where I can swim, weight train and get some pilates classes. My current cheap gym is used just for weight training.

I'm setting a personal goal to loose 2 pounds during my break through fitness camp over the next two weeks.

Have a great week all.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was hypertrophy 3, first workout A for me. All good except my continuing trouble with dumbbell bench - the dumbells at my gym go from 10kg to 12kg..... I need an 11! I can get 10 reps of 10kg but can't do 12kg at all. So yesterday I did a single arm instead so I could use the other arm to get the weight up into the starting position. Can get 5 reps of 12kg (26lbs) with my right arm and NONE with my left. My left arm is also my dodgy elbow so no real surprise. I ended up using my right hand (finger tips) to guide the weight for my left arm..... bit hard to know how else to do it!

And I've only taken a few weeks off heavy DLs and as soon as I start back my burst blood vessels come back! Grrrrr. For those who didn't know, DLs cause me to get a rash of burst blood vessels which appear along the length of the underside of my forearms - from elbow to wrist. This was at 55kg (120lbs) and an average lift for me.... not my heaviest. Sigh.

Still, while the body doesn't quite appear to be playing the game, my head is in a much better space. Hopefully I can get some benefit from this stage and increase my lifts.

Off to a midwifery conference today so no gym. Hope to work out tonight if I get home at a reasonable time.

Have a great day,

Jo xx
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I posted this earlier today: I'm 2/3 because I continue to sneak a few extra jelly beans. I can't think of a NSV.

Stage 2 B AMRAPs today and I'm taking the rest of the week off!
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Manic the life edition lists 5 to 10minutes of HIIT at the end. Just start with what you can do with consistency.

I am reading "Younger Next Year" although I'm not quite the targert age aduience yet and what they say is you should have low level aerobic actvity incoorporated into you fitness schdule. Meaning you should be doing at least 4 days of 45 mins to an hour of activity that gets you into the 65% zone of your max PLUS the 2 days on weight training THEN throw in bouts of HIIT. Firstly the goal is to consistently do something 6 six days week then add in HIIT...so there's one point of view.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    2.5/3 and somehow I lost a pound. :happy:

DNAmouse: I have to tell you for some reason when you first described your husband getting you a custom bedroom wardrobe that would benefit him too I thought you meant he got you lingerie! :blushing:

Cowgirl: I am seeing a VERY good chiropractor, a leader in his field who has travelled with and works on Olympic athletes. He recommended Pilates for my specific combination of issues (s-i joint, scoliosis) and swimming (opening upper back and shoulders). It all has to do with increaseing/ensuring core strength as I age, etc. So I might be having to join a gym where I can swim, weight train and get some pilates classes. My current cheap gym is used just for weight training.

I'm setting a personal goal to loose 2 pounds during my break through fitness camp over the next two weeks.

Have a great week all.
    I have a friend doing the same stuff for her scoliosis. My gym LA FItness has everything you're looking for and a hot tub for those stiff sore days. Perhaps you have one in your area. BEst of luck with your therapy. I only pay $20 for single location.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Jo for those one to two lb increments, you can use snap on or magnetic weights, or use wrist weights.

Cowgirl, you are totally fit, and you should rock those shirts. I asked my hubby to get me "Strength is beauty" and "count reps not calories"
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Oh, he does that too, just not this time :laugh: Lets just say I have a LOT to choose from in that department :wink:

I'm waiting for the weather to hurry up and cool down properly. Its cold of a morning, then warms up, then the wind comes and it cools down again, then it warms up and then cools down. Stupid sub-tropical autumn weather. I want to be able to wear coats and scarves and boots lol (no worries, I'll be back in July complaining about the 'cold' :tongue: I've become soft after living here for nearly 20 years).

Didn't think I'd get any exercise done today because the stone measuring guy was meant to turn up between 11-12. He's here already (10am) so I may get something in, which makes me very happy lol
  • samntha14
    Options
    Ok it official 2014 needs to just stop right now. So much death and sadness. A colleague lost a student yesterday. She was five years old and already had two heart transplants. I was at my counselor's office with my boys when I got the message and cried all the way home. Nothing in the world makes sense any more.

On a lighter note, finally started reading Supercharged with my down time today, and will be returning to the gym tomorrow.
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Give myself a 2/3 this week got all the lifting and running in. Got all the protein and boy does my digestion feel it LOL NSV: 10 minute miles!! 25# DB shoulder presses!! Fell off with the cals twice.

Did stage 1 am raps yesterday, then ran 2.5 miles at 6.0 mph pace, felt awesome. Must have kicked my *kitten* because my legs felt totally dead today and even running slow felt like chore. Even ab work was like, no. Normal?

I apologize - do not remember who said this, thought it was on this thread. Thought someone said they did NROL4W and they didn't lose weight or inches,just stayed the same and they were going to try again the right way. I bring this up because that might be me, too. Don't think I've lost weight or inches. Trainer taking measurements tomorrow - will know for sure then. I'm 5'5" 148 lb 49 yo. Book says 1700 is maintenance and 2000 for workout days. I set cals at 1700 and shoot for 1500, sometimes go over 1500.

Anyway the person who said they did NROL4W wrong, wrong what do you feel you did wrong and what are you going to change the next time around?
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Ok it official 2014 needs to just stop right now. So much death and sadness. A colleague lost a student yesterday. She was five years old and already had two heart transplants. I was at my counselor's office with my boys when I got the message and cried all the way home. Nothing in the world makes sense any more.

On a lighter note, finally started reading Supercharged with my down time today, and will be returning to the gym tomorrow.

So sorry! Terrible with one so young!
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Beeps, thank you for bringing us here!!

Checking in at 2/3. I have been steadfast at not eating "visible carbs," and getting most from fruit, veggies, protein shakes, etc
    Lifting was great today. It was the two-week juncture at which I change out my work out to confuse muscles :drinker:

I can now do ten assisted pull ups/chin ups...still aiming for that one full unassisted chin up :smile:
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Sam, you definitely need a spa weekend. :flowerforyou:

I had watermelon for a snack and it just bumped me up another gram of protein :bigsmile: 88 g for the day. I need to eat protein for breakfast. Eggs ..... they aren't my fave but I can do it.

What do yall have in the am?
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Good job on the protein today,Manic!

My day was crappy. I was so happy about my easy 24" box jumps, I did them for HIIT after lifting. Apparently I was over confident- banged my shin hard. Then the day went downhill from there...
    PreTOM carb cravings are hitting hard.
    Tomorrow WILL be better!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese with berries and nuts in the morning, or a protein shake if I am going straight to the gym after school drop-off.

I will give myself 2/3 for last week.

Thanks for the step up tips last week. I did them properly this time :P and 20lb dumbells were still a bit too easy so I moved to 25s. Much better! My quads and glutes are SORE but it's GOOD!

I hate how a workout bumps up my recommended intake of protein. Before a workout MFP has set it to 112g which is doable, but today my workout bumped it up to 140g which I just can't manage. I don't eat meat and can only consume so many eggs and bowls of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt!