Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Happy Australia Day dna - I have to admit, this has been our lamest one yet! No bbq, no plans - seems like everyone we know was away! We went to Masters :-/ and I went to the gym :smiley:

So - yesterday was combat. Today I lifted. Pitifully. A few weeks off and tiny weights were epically hard. GRUMP. Still, good to get back in the game. Hoping DOMS not too bad. Trying to get back up to my SL weights. Got PT next week to check form. Doc weds as still feeling crappy. Can no longer blame 'over training' or generally over doing it, so off to the appt I shall go.

xxxx
  • girlstrionce
    girlstrionce Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I weighed in today and lost 1.1 lbs and decreased body fat from 40.3% to 39.0%. I am pretty happy with that. This program really seems to be working. You all are inspiring as well. Have a good week!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Morning!

Good job, girlstri!

Jo, at least you're back! You'll be back at it soon enough. :smile: What is Australia Day?

Pudding, it sounds like you're doing a fantastic job! Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

No lifting this morning. I was up after midnight and wasn't about to go in the gym on less than 4 hours of sleep. Hopefully, the streets will be clear Wednesday morning so I can FINALLY finish NROLFW!

For you ladies up in the Northeast, STAY SAFE! Especially those who are in the NYC and New England areas. I'm outside of Baltimore and just glad we're only getting 3-5. Dodged that bullet, but doesn't look so hot for my mom. :neutral_face:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Hope things get better Beeps.
    Glad to have you back Pudding.
    Happy Australia Day My friends "down Under" Us here in the north east are preparing for Snowmagedon. Looking at 1-2 feet. Not the worst but not great either.
    Speaking of Blizzards, I went to the gym this morning. I played hooky from work because I refused to drive in impending snow. Figured I'd get in a last chance workout since once the snow hits we aren't going anywhere for a couple days. Hot cocoa, movie, popcorn and my guys. What more do I need :)
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Shamless quote from Wikipedia: "Australia Day is the official national day of Australia. Celebrated annually on 26 January, it marks the anniversary of the 1788 arrival of the First Fleet of British Ships at Port Jackson, New South Wales, and raising of the Flag of Great Britain at that site by Governor Arthur Phillip."

AKA the day when all Australian's enjoy a public holiday and celebrate our wonderful country with BBQs, free breakfasts, fireworks, Australian flag tattoos, citizenship ceremonies and beer drinking whilst listening to the triple J radio station counting down the hottest 100 songs from the past year.... at least, that's what happens in Adelaide, lol.

Today = DOMS. Can't walk. 'nuff said.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    I was TOTALLY wrong about my work gym. Totally. It is AWESOME! Squat rack, TRX, DBs to 100 lbs, OBs, kettlebells, medicine balls, weight plates, various curl bars, etc.

Heaven! I can lift everyday I am there....no problem. BOOM!

Did a fullbody workout today, but will return to my four-day splits.

This is totally awesome for me!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness Beeps!

Jo, we had a 2.5hr drive home. We stopped at TWO different Bunnings along the way. Why? Oh, I might need something for that thing I'm doing next weekend... the kids weren't impressed lol

I've eaten something crappy again and my stomach feels off, so easy does it again today, although I do want to get a session in shortly if the kids let me. I always (99% of the time) feel better after a lifting session, and if I do one today I can either adjust the timing for tomorrow's or shift it back to Thursday.

Speaking of eating something that didn't agree with me. I opened a new bottle of wine last Tuesday. Had the usual less-that-a-whole-glass with dinner and two hours later was itchy and hot and feeling awful, with my nose all clogged up. Couldn't quite work out what was going on and put it down to stress. Had another glass on Thursday and it happened again. Verdict? I'm possibly allergic to a preservative in the wine or (hugely annoying) developing a possible amine allergy/intolerance similar to my brother who is anaphylactic to grapes.

Doctor's orders are to lay off the wine for a bit and see what happens :disappointed:

And it tasted so nice too.

School is back TOMORROW!!! :smiley:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I am totally allergic to wine!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've had a rough couple of weeks with a pain flare and worse depression but I am feeling better and will lift tomorrow .
    Glad you are all working it
    Love I only did three sets as well
    Good luck to all with new jobs
    Julie and pudding - nice work
    -dna will look at your links when I get a moment
    Sam you can do this!!!
    Dawn your ohp is amazing.

• jo_marnes
    Options
    dna & pmag - hope you feel better.

Allergic to wine? Seriously, worst thing EVER :o
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Happy Australia Day to DNA and Jo! (And any other Aussies out there)

((Hugs)) pmag-glad you're feeling better and hope your lifts tomorrow are stellar!
    Jo-hope the dr can help! Sorry you're not DLing better after the rest :( how're the glutes?
    Beeps-that's wonderful! Free, stocked and at work? Dream gym!!
    Sam-good plan-I miss snow days! Enjoy your day!
    DNA-there's always vodka ;)
    Love-good choice. You'll finish it this week! Glad Juno wasn't as bad as they predicted.
    Girl-great job! WTG!
    Pudding-good job too! Enjoy your trip! I'm thinking of NR again...faster weight loss you say?
    Dawn-good job! Yup, de loading isn't so bad on the upper body weights, you'll get there!

Doing well, ticked at my gym. Cancelled today, a month or so til the new one opens and I'll finish that month at the old gym. No parking, too crowded and they wanted to charge me $20 to bring my kids to workout with me. Really? That's ridiculous!!!

Lifted today, felt great. Knee still stiff and sore, but the new moves from Bret are interesting and focused on my derrière which needs it!

We're going to Maui!! Did i mention that? All the accountability I need! Want to be leaner by then...
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Maui?!? Awesome!

Jo_m - rum works for me! :)

Pmagnan - why be depressed?!?! All is GREAT!

Did my group-maxstrength today. Date night tonight. Yum!

BOOM!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    So lifting stunk. I got really dizzy during my dls and they were pretty light. I did some back extensions and leg lifts and called it done. Thursday should be better.

Julie I am jealous of your trip to Maui.

DNa-- wine allergy sounds terrible.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    HAd a great day of doing nothing. Just what I needed to recharge my batteries. Tomorrow, to the gym
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Any vacation sounds great but fun in sun and Maui, that is hard to beat. I just requested 2 days off to run a 5k, plus have never used any time off before, and the managers joked about how hard it will be without me. lol

Julie - sucks about the gym though. Hope the new one ends up much better.
    Pmagnan- I hope Thursday goes better for you.

hmmm oddly, now I want wine. hehehe

Went to gym after work. Not busy though some guys were lifting, so got a little show from some college guys (one of whom had to lift shirtless and have his friend take pictures with phone). Got done even though I was really tired and now I can't wait for bed.

Workout B

Squat - 5x5 @ 145 - So heavy and yet so close to 150.

OHP - 1x5, 1x4 @ 70, 3x5 @ 65 - Another fail but a little better than last time. Managed to do the rest at 65 instead of dropping down to 60, so it's still a tiny bit of progress.

Deadlift - 1x5 @ 135 warm up then 1x5 @ 190 - It was still rough and I had to re-situate after the first 2 reps. Might repeat again next time. Still hoping to get 200 in the near future.

Leg press (odd, curved seat one) 3x8 @ 90 and some leg machine 3x8 cause I was waiting to deadlift and guy was taking so long. Then 30 minutes treadmill.

No lifting for the next 2 days. Crazy this whole rest days thing. :wink:
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Beeps, allergic to wine? Lol!
    Julie, Maui sounds like fun!!!

I only lifted one day last week, so this week I had to de-load.

Yester was Core followed by Zumba class...yummo! Plus it was a solemn day - remembering the liberation of Auschwitz 70 years ago...lest we forget.

Today, I lift :smile:
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Dawn, your numbers amaze me! I wish I could lift that heavy. I am definitely doing 5x5 if I ever finish supercharged because I want to lift heavy!!

I skimmed through all the posts and can't remember who said what. Whoever is going to Maui, I am so jealous! I almost went crazy on Sunday and booked a holiday to Cuba but then I remembered that I have no money and need to pay to get my car fixed :disappointed:

DNA, I don't think I could cope with a wine allergy! But I do find that some wines make me quite sick while others are fine so maybe its something that is used to treat the wine? I suggest you keep experimenting with different brands until you find one that doesn't make you sick!

I have been really bad at working out for the last few weeks. Last week I only lifted once and this week isn't going much better. In my defence I was sick, I had a vomiting bug on Sunday night so I didn't leave the couch on Monday and then yesterday I got home late from work and was tired so skipped the gym. Tonight I am going out straight after work so I NEED to make myself fit a workout in tomorrow.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm quite happy to stick to vodka lol
    Although it's put me off alcohol for a bit, so that's probably a good thing :p

School is back for the year - woot!

Starting feeling all my muscles last night, damn. I've added my pull-up practice to my lifting sessions 4x5 sets to start. My aarrrrmmmmsss.... ;)

Overhead squats are different lol it's a nice change and I like to give things a go at least once :)

Meh, I can't read things properly on my phone. I should be working while missy is swimming I suppose...
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Okay, question: What is the appeal of the pull-up?

I know some programs focus on trying to do them and many people have it as their goals. I just never cared about doing them. Well, so far all they really do is remind me that I'm short. lol I look up at the pull up spot on the power cage on occasion when I'm bored during a rest set and just think "nope." Most of the spots for pull-ups I can't reach without a chair or tall step.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Okay, question: What is the appeal of the pull-up?

For me? Being able to say I can.