Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I'm 5'6" and about 168lbs. I'm looking to lose about 20lbs. I already do cardio--I run, walk, elliptical, or do videos like t25 usually about 6 days a week. I'm trying to switch over to 3 lifting days and 3 cardio. I'm fine with losing slow as long as I'm losing. I am eating at a deficit so hopefully I can reach my goals with this plan!

I've seen SO many awesome success stories with lifting but I guess these couple of duds just seemed to stick with me! Thanks again for your responses!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Had an AWESOME day at the gym yesterday - upped my OHP and lifted a PR on deadlifts (204 lbs). Haven't gone heavy on deadlift for a while why I try to fix my form issues, but yesterday I just felt I needed to prove I could still do it, lol. Form was probably *kitten*! And still it was my grip that gave up - my legs could DL much more I reckon.

OHP is up, bench is up too. Still pathetic, but at least the numbers are improving.

Glad today is a rest day - arms are sore!

Sarah - welcome. I came at NROL from a different viewpoint as was already at goal weight. However, what I can tell you is that since I've started lifting I am more pleased with how I look than before - my body is a different shape and I prefer my muscle definition to the 'skinny fat' I had before. I AM one of those who has gained weight, but I have done so intentionally. Over the past 3 years I have gained about 10lbs, but still fit in the clothes I had 3 years ago. And I eat a lot (2200 cals/ day). So like the others said, it depends on your goals. My goals are not weight focused, they are strength focused. If you are eating at deficit and working out hard then you'll lose weight.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Bowled 7 games on a class trip (high score 142). Dang, I'm tired. It made room for pizza and ice cream to celebrate my youngest's birthday.

Sarah, it's not a weight loss program, it's a strength training program. If you are totally new to lifting, you should see a nice "nubie" effect. My first year I lost 16 pounds and 21 inches. Now that I am more fit, I have to fight for ever ounce and quarter inch. Where you start will partly determine where you finish. However, let me say this, being STRONG is TOTALLY worth it. I threw my scale away.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hey girls!

Sam-good job! You're back at it! WTG!
    Dawn-WTG finishing c25k! I wasn't at 5k with the 30 minute run either. You're determined, and you'll get there!
    DNA-inspiring you're smaller now! :)
    Beeps- you're in the zone!
    Jo-dang! That's a lot of weight! Fabulous! My back just doesn't like DL :(. I like what it did for my body, but this sore muscle is not something I want forever. Not sure if I'll ever do them again :(. My chiro recommended not doing them :(

Welcome sarah! We're similar size, I started nrolfw at 154, also didn't follow thier eating plan but was at a 20% deficit. Got through the whole program and lost lots of inches, could fit smaller clothes, but gained 5-6lbs! I was upset, but feel and look so much better. Here's a progress pic from start of NR to end. I'm on to strong curves now, but still lifting and plan to forever :). I do cardio 2x a week too, but not super intensely.59rq5eifmnbd.jpg
  • sarahharas5
    Options
    @samntha14 I realize it's not a weight loss program. I just keep hearing to strength train while losing weight though. Sounds like you had some great results!

I think it comes down to what most of you have been saying--figure out what my goals are and adjust accordingly.

Julie- you look great! It would be tough for me to not be upset about a gain at this weight. I have some before pictures. I just need to check results from more than weight. So which program do you prefer?
  • samntha14
    Options
    I can honestly say that the scale is a fickle thing. When I went from a size 14 to a size 6 and lost so little weight, I knew at that moment I could no longer allow that stupid number to define me. That's when I threw the scale away. Nowadays I only get concerned when my clothes get tight or I start having trouble controlling my blood sugar.

I was a bit over today due to not going to the gym and eating horrible fast food with all the kiddies. I'm good at staying under on exercise days, not so good at staying under on non-workout days. I scheduled my Dr. appointment for next month, and I'm not just tracking macros, but how I feel each day to see if I can figure out the correlation between food and tiredness.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Sarah, it's slower going than a huge deficit + lots of cardio, but it is so totally worth it in the end.

I'm still snowed under with work (yes, I'm working on a Sunday!) but all major orders are due to be posted by tomorrow afternoon, so I'll have a dig around and do a progress photo thing. I haven't done one for a while.

As Sam said, when you know what size you were at a certain weight and you weigh more but are in several sizes smaller, it's hugely telling about the scale. The last time I weighed was when my daughter had a maths homework thing where she had to estimate family members weights and then see how close she was lol

When I was losing, I only stood on the scale once every two weeks. Except for the period where I tracked my weight every day for 2 months to see where the natural ups and downs were, that was it.

With programs, choose one and go with it. And then choose another, or adjust the old one :smile: I'm just over halfway through Supercharged and loving it. Once again, it will depend on your goals and what fits with your needs.

Okay, back to work! The husband has taken the kids so I need to get to it :wink:
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Long, tiring day for me. Had my usual shift so I ate lunch as my main meal but it's a good thing I didn't need a whole lot before lifting cause yeah. During work I had a starbucks doubleshot with protein, a 0 calorie rockstar and half a protein bar. Machine issues and such meant I didn't take a lunch break on an 8 hour shift. I was supposed to but I chose not to because as is, the manager actually covered most of the cashier's break as I was pulling papers out of chemicals. Fun times. But despite all of that, lifting went pretty well.

Stage 4 - A2

warmup with low bar squats 3x5 @ 80 - shoulder was grumpy at first but made it through

front squat 3x8 @ 60 - Did these using hands crossed grip, so my arms have little sore spots now.
    push press 3x8 @ 60 - Harder weight for these but I did bend my knees as it helped since this is a push press and not OHP

step-up 3x8 @ 25 - okay, right elbow was a little cranky holding the db
    db one point row 3x8 @ 25 - same as above

push-up 3x6 on floor sort of, I used the 25 dumbbells and tried to not have my elbows flaring out
    static lunge 3x8 @ 50 - used short step again, not bad

horizontal wood chop 3x8 @ 40 - used the other one this time cause 40 sounds better than 15, lol

good morning 3x10 @ 50 - fine as usual
    leg press 3x8 @ 160 - didn't do the two sets of 45's this time, wasn't bad though
    hip thrust 3x10 @ 40 - hard to keep it from moving but overall okay

Now I'm sleepy and hope I don't get called tomorrow before scheduled. I may need to kick a machine if they do need me early.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Cardio day. Went a little later than planned and it was hot out, but managed to jog 28 minutes. I'm doing a shorter run Mondays, middle length Wednesday and longer on Fridays. Good news is that this time the 28 minute one felt easier. Hope to get up to 32 this week and 35 minutes next week.
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, just checking in, I know I've been super quiet lately.
    I'm starting a 60 challenge today and I'm trying to decide if I want to lift while doingthe challenge or not. Ok I know I do so I'm going to let my body tell me what days depending on soreness of these new workouts.

I got a new back extention bench ( I think thats what its called) for my birthday. I'm a tad onthe short side when doing regular back extention but for other things I love it. I wish I would have had it when doing new rules.

I found a new hiking trail this weekend that is easy and short enough to take the kids so I will be doing that this weekend before it starts getting too hot here.

Sarah, new rules is great for getting smaller, but not necessarily taking lbs off the scale. I started the program wearing a 10-12 and I'm now wearing 4-6, but I only lost about 6lbs. You're replacing fat with muscle so don't let the scale define you. Go by how you're clothes feel, how you look, the compliments you get. How much easier push up will get and the heavier you can lift. There will be a difference in your body you just may not see a big difference onthe scale and that is ok.

Jo and Dawn, your numbers are looking great!

Dna, don't work too hard.
  • samntha14
    Options
    My husband today had a "hey I'm 'smaller'" moment. He is in training for the idita-bike, and is pulling 2-3 centuries a week. He now weighs 180, a max weight for him, but he was wearing a kit he hasn't been able to get into since he weighed 155. I always said he was dense, lol.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sam-good for Dh! Sorry you're still not to the bottom of the fatigue, but hope you can figure it out,:)

Dawn-good job! Running is not my thing, but I admire it :)

DNA-hope you got all caught up with work, post pics when you can,:)

Ali-good to see you! What's the hike? We do the superstitions and Usury park, but our favorite is the Natural Bridge up in payson.

Sarah-hope you're liking the program.

I has a great workout today! I've been going but feeling kind of meh lately with my lifitng. Tonight I just felt like I could do more, you know? So, I did :). I added weight to all my lifts and Dh helped me get the bar set up and taken back down for my WHTs (my pulled muscle won't allow me to pick up the weighted bar very easily these days). Hit a new PR on my hip thrust-145. And I even felt like I could do more, but that was my third set so I didn't. Upped my abductors, land mines, even used a bench (significantly higher) for my step up/reverse lunges! Happy with that! I know it won't be a home run every workout, but it's sure fun when one is killer!!

A week til Maui! Gotta get packing :)
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Julie, great job on the work out. We went to the White Tanks, its a short hike but it'll be good for the kids. My oldest seems to think that getting away from video games is a chore and my youngest like to race everywhere, the trail isn't too rocking so we can race. Have fun in Maui !

Sam Lol@ dh, and that just goes to show thatyou can weigh more, but be smaller. Gotta love the muscles.
  • sarahharas5
    Options
    Dawn, I struggle to run in the heat! I'm going to have to start dealing with that since summer will be here in no time.

Ali, I'd be happy wearing a 4-6! I'm a 10-12 now and even in high school don't think I was ever under a 10. Heck I'd be happy just being a solid 10 again :)

I had a good workout this morning. I think I may need to get my husband to check out my form on my deadlifts. It's hard to know if I need to tweak things since I'm alone. The lunges were still rough but I was able to walk up the stairs a little easier than last week so I guess that's a good sign!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Ali - ooo nice. I actually found I liked the back extension in week 3. Though I often have to adjust the one at the gym cause I'm short and sometimes I still don't get it quite low enough. Hiking trails are fun. Since I'm moving, I need to find a new place to jog cause the gym is already a longer drive, don't need to add a long drive for jogging.

Julie - Thanks and nice lifts yourself! Hip thrust still feels weird for me with a 40 bar so can't imagine over a 100 more. Nicely done. Have fun on your vacation.

Sarah - Yeah, the heat is rough since we've had random bits of rain too so there is the humidity. It was my fault for sleeping in cause my alarm went off and I went back to bed, so I try to jog earlier than 11 am but don't always make it. Luckily my first 5k is at 9pm in June, so shouldn't be overbearing heat wise. My second, though, is during the day in August. Hopefully the color bubbles help get through the hot day run.

Will lift after work tonight. Thursday I'm going to try and lift with coworker and walk her through Stage 1. Should be interesting.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    Why arent suelegal and manic posting?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    Lifted this morning. Walked this afternoon. Will shag husband this evening to get my exercise-hat-trick.

:)
  • samntha14
    Options
    LOL Go BEEPS!!!
    Didn't make it to the gym tonight...because I left my sneakers at work :s
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Fun times. Had a busy day at work even with a shorter shift and got a lot done. Then lifted weights after work. My knee bothered me yesterday at work but it was fine today. The right elbow got a bit achy during the rear lung and prone snatch sets but wasn't too bad. Overall, an okay night.

Stage 4 - B2

warmup with low bar squats 3x5 @ 85 - okay though shoulder still aren't fans of low bar

wide grip deadliest from box 3x8 @ 125 - I want to try 135 at end of stage

bulgarian split squat 3x8 @ 25 - okay but tad rough on last reps
    underhand lat pull down 3x8 @ 80 - managed but heavy

reverse lunge from step 3x8 @ 25 - eh
    db prone cuban snatch 3x8 @ 10 - tough cause elbow

bent over row 3x8 @ 70 - heavy but managed
    db shrug 3x10 @ 30 - okay but grip issue on one set
    assisted chin up with slow decent 2x5 @ 10 - not bad

Now to finish things up and sleep so I can make myself get up earlier to jog.
  • leesagreen86
    leesagreen86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've read this forum on and off during while I completed stage 1, and now I thought I would post my stage 1 results. I started lifting about a month prior to starting NROLFW, I was just doing my own thing. My weight has stayed about the same though the first stage, I didn't pay much attention to diet. I have noticed significant increase in muscle definition and body composition.

Stage 1 - Workout A
    Squat: Start 30lbs Finish 70lbs
    Push-up: Start 30 deg Finish full pushup from floor
    Seated Row: Start 40lbs Finish 80lbs
    Step-up: Start 15lbs Finish 35lbs
    Prone Jackknife: body weight only, no change

Stage 1 - Workout B
    Deadlift: Start 35lbs Finish 75lbs
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press: Start 7.5lbs (in each hand) Finish 15lbs
    Wide-grip Lap Pull-down: Start 40lbs Finish 80lbs
    Lunge: Start bodyweight Finish 2x15lb dumbbells
    Swiss Ball Crunch: body weight only, no change