Introduction for New Members

Options

Replies

• CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    Hello All,

After trying, unsuccessfully, to drop my post-college weight through calorie restriction, I'm now willing to listen to you "crazy" people and try eating more to lose some weight.

About Me: Well, I'm a middle school lacrosse coach(Go Dragons!) and student working on my Masters in Journalism. I also do some freelance copywriting and editing on the side. I'm originally from Manhattan, but moved to St. Petersburg (Florida) in 2002 for college. I got a degree in Political Science and played on the Div II lacrosse team. Between work, the gym, and class, I really don't find that much time for fun. That being said, I love to read, play with my Aussie Shepherd Adelaide, and go to concerts or ball games.

Stats:
    - 28 Year Old Male, 5'7"
    - CW: 167
    - GW: 155
    - CBF%: 16%
    - GBF%: 10%
    - BMR: 1766
    - TDEE: 2737
    - Target Calories: 2190

Exercise Schedule:
    - Walking Dog (3-5 Miles, 1-2 Hours, Daily)
    - CrossFit MetCon Workouts (High Intensity, 10-45 Minutes, 3x Week)
    - CrossFit Olympic Lifting Workouts (Heavy, Full Body, 2x Week)
    - Lap Swimming (Breast Stroke, 20-30 minutes, 1/2 Mile)
    - Road Cycling (Moderate Intensity, 1-1 1/2 Hours, 10-15 Miles, 2x Week)

Using Scooby, I have set my calorie deficit for 20% below my TDEE, which is configured for moderate exercise. I didn't figure in walking the dog, since it's the offseason right now and I'm sitting down studying most of the day.

Everything look good?

Oh, feel free to add me if you like, I don't have any friend support on here yet and will probably need your positive sentiments, especially after reading the posts about gaining weight in the first few weeks.

Good luck to everyone!
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm Genie, I live in the UK and wow do I have a lot of reading to do! I've started trying to read through everything and get my diary straight for TDEE and macros etc. I think it may take me a few days to get into it but it's lovelyu to see that theres such a supportive community here to bounce any questions off.

I look forward to meeting you all!

Genie
  • Shellza
    Shellza Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to EM2WL but not to MFP, I have been on my journey for a year and has so far lost 29lbs, I have stalled at this weight since December and I still weigh 250lbs(UK). I first came across the eating more group via another member and tried it for about 4 weeks, I gained 7lbs and got scared and cut calories again. I have since cleaned up my eating as I was still eating alot of processed food. There is so much conflicting info out there and I was really confused. I spoke to Lucia and she pointed me in the right direction. I have started again this week so hopefully all should go ok. I am prepared to put on a bit as I have been low cal for a long time so expect there might be some issues.

I am doing NROLFW and I am just about to complete stage 1. I also Zumba twice a week and love that!

My stats of scooby are
    29yrs old
    CW 250lb
    GW 150lb
    BMR 1905
    TDEE 2953
    Cut 15% 2510
    CBF 36.6%
    GBF 22% Maybe lower once I get there

I am resetting at the mo, anyone wants to send me a FR I dont mind, I need all the support I can get !
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

After trying, unsuccessfully, to drop my post-college weight through calorie restriction, I'm now willing to listen to you "crazy" people and try eating more to lose some weight.

About Me: Well, I'm a middle school lacrosse coach(Go Dragons!) and student working on my Masters in Journalism. I also do some freelance copywriting and editing on the side. I'm originally from Manhattan, but moved to St. Petersburg (Florida) in 2002 for college. I got a degree in Political Science and played on the Div II lacrosse team. Between work, the gym, and class, I really don't find that much time for fun. That being said, I love to read, play with my Aussie Shepherd Adelaide, and go to concerts or ball games.

Stats:
    - 28 Year Old Male, 5'7"
    - CW: 167
    - GW: 155
    - CBF%: 16%
    - GBF%: 10%
    - BMR: 1766
    - TDEE: 2737
    - Target Calories: 2190

Exercise Schedule:
    - Walking Dog (3-5 Miles, 1-2 Hours, Daily)
    - CrossFit MetCon Workouts (High Intensity, 10-45 Minutes, 3x Week)
    - CrossFit Olympic Lifting Workouts (Heavy, Full Body, 2x Week)
    - Lap Swimming (Breast Stroke, 20-30 minutes, 1/2 Mile)
    - Road Cycling (Moderate Intensity, 1-1 1/2 Hours, 10-15 Miles, 2x Week)

Using Scooby, I have set my calorie deficit for 20% below my TDEE, which is configured for moderate exercise. I didn't figure in walking the dog, since it's the offseason right now and I'm sitting down studying most of the day.

Everything look good?

Oh, feel free to add me if you like, I don't have any friend support on here yet and will probably need your positive sentiments, especially after reading the posts about gaining weight in the first few weeks.

Good luck to everyone!

Welcome! :flowerforyou:

A couple of things to note...Your activity looks to be at least one step up from moderate and that is without the dog walking...once you add that dog walking in, you may need to up it again. It's important to get the right activity level or you won''t do yourself any favors. :wink: So really think about how many hours you do in a week...be honest and plot it out - don't estimate low or high....and then use that number for scooby. Many of us here started out underestimating our exercise (including myself) and trust me....it can totally backfire! I know this from personal experience...haha

The other quick mention is that we don't usually recommend -20% cut around here....15% is the norm. This is to keep your metabolism up as well as to prevent you from netting too close or below BMR which is easier to achieve with people who exercise a lot and have a larger deficit.

Other than that, welcome to EM2WL, make sure you read through the stickies (especially the 'what to expect when upping cals' one) and watch the vids!
  • jyska
    Options
    I've been lurking in this group for a bit, but I've decided to finally join in some discussions.

My name is Misty. I'm 29 years old, and I've been (mostly) gradually gaining weight for about the past 10 years. I was an athlete in high school and accustomed to eating whatever I wanted and maintaining an OK weight (I was a very active 180 when I played softball), but once I hit college and adult life without that 4 hours of exercise each day, I didn't change my eating habits, and now I'm much heavier.

I had a baby last year, and I am ready to be healthy, both in my eating and exercise habits. I started on MFP in May with a calorie goal of 1400 per day, and it was going fine. But as I read more about BMR/TDEE and eating more to weight less, that route made so much sense. I don't want to screw up my metabolism and plateau long before I reach my goal. So I quickly changed it up.

According to the scooby calculator, my BMR is 1962 and TDEE is 3042. I'm currently eating around 2000 calories per day because I have a large amount to lose (over 100 pounds to goal weight) and am currently on track to lose around 2 lbs/week (I've been hitting between 1-2 pounds consistently since I started eating my BMR as a minimum about 3 weeks ago). I primarily do cardio at this point but plan to add weight training.

I've read different things but was just wondering if, with such a large amount of weight to lose, this is considered an acceptable range of calories for me. For a 20% reduction, the scooby site suggests that I eat 2433 per day. Here are my current stats:

Weight: 253.4 (down 10.1 pounds so far!)
    Height: 5'4 1/2"
    Exercise: At least 30 minutes daily (but varies anywhere from 30-70 minutes)
    Activity level: Other than the daily exercise, I work at a fairly sedentary desk job.
    UGW: 145

Hi and welcome!

I've run your numbers through scooby and pegged you at moderate exercise level. It gives me:
    BMR: 1871
    TDEE: 2900
    TDEE - 15%: 2465

(we recommend only a 15% cut, not 20% around here for various reasons that you'll see throughout the threads)

So, eat the 2465 cals per day (you do not eat back exercise cals because they are already factored in unless you have a super high burn and you NET below your BMR of 1871) Make sure you read through the stickies and watch the vids so that you know what to expect and understand more of how to make this work the best you can for you. If you get confused on anything, just ask and someone will try to help along the way!
  • jyska
    Options
    Hi I am new to EM2WL but not to MFP, I have been on my journey for a year and has so far lost 29lbs, I have stalled at this weight since December and I still weigh 250lbs(UK). I first came across the eating more group via another member and tried it for about 4 weeks, I gained 7lbs and got scared and cut calories again. I have since cleaned up my eating as I was still eating alot of processed food. There is so much conflicting info out there and I was really confused. I spoke to Lucia and she pointed me in the right direction. I have started again this week so hopefully all should go ok. I am prepared to put on a bit as I have been low cal for a long time so expect there might be some issues.

I am doing NROLFW and I am just about to complete stage 1. I also Zumba twice a week and love that!

My stats of scooby are
    29yrs old
    CW 250lb
    GW 150lb
    BMR 1905
    TDEE 2953
    Cut 15% 2510
    CBF 36.6%
    GBF 22% Maybe lower once I get there

I am resetting at the mo, anyone wants to send me a FR I dont mind, I need all the support I can get !

If you are resetting you may want to check out this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/628082-metabolism-reset-eating-at-tdee-support-thread It's where most of us 'resetters' go for support...it can be a tough 8 weeks! :flowerforyou:
  • jyska
    Options
    Hi

Been in this group for a few days but increased my calorie intake today from around 1200 to 1400. My TDEE - 15% is 1418.

Not really got a target weight but need to lose about 12-14 lb to get into a healthy weight range. After that will go a bit further but will see how I feel.

I am not blessed in the height department so my BMR is around 1391, my TDEE is 1669.

Not doing huge amounts of exercise, around 30 minutes a day.

I can stick to low calorie diets but they aren't my ideal way to spend my time so I am trying this route instead.

Did you calculate the 30 min/day into your activity level? Your numbers seem pretty close together for someone who is exercising...what are your stats? you should run your stats through this calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ make sure you add up how many HOURS of exercise you do each week (so if it's daily 30 min, that makes you a moderate activity level).

You should never be eating less than your BMR number and if you are exercising too on top of eating only 1400, you are netting a vlcd still. We need to get your numbers in the right place and you off to a proper start! :smile: Please read through this information...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr It might help you understand what I'm saying here. and Watch the vids http://www.youtube.com/user/EatMore2WeighLess?feature=mhee
  • mandolin118
    mandolin118 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!. I joined MFP a few weeks ago. I am a 28 year old female, 5'4 weighing 136 pounds. I recently decided to keep track of my calorie intake and realized that between how little I was eating and the amount I was exercising, I was netting well below 1000 calories a day. I have a desk job, but I workout pretty regularly doing P90x 6 days a week and occasional cardio on an elliptical. MFP has my caloric intake set at 1300 a day, plus I make sure to eat back my exercise calories. I've calculated my BMR to be 1409 and my TDEE to be 2185 and after reading all of the information in this group, the setting MFP has for my calorie intake seems low compared to what's discussed here. Should I be netting more than the 1300 recommended? thanks!
  • jyska
    Options
    Hi everyone!. I joined MFP a few weeks ago. I am a 28 year old female, 5'4 weighing 136 pounds. I recently decided to keep track of my calorie intake and realized that between how little I was eating and the amount I was exercising, I was netting well below 1000 calories a day. I have a desk job, but I workout pretty regularly doing P90x 6 days a week and occasional cardio on an elliptical. MFP has my caloric intake set at 1300 a day, plus I make sure to eat back my exercise calories. I've calculated my BMR to be 1409 and my TDEE to be 2185 and after reading all of the information in this group, the setting MFP has for my calorie intake seems low compared to what's discussed here. Should I be netting more than the 1300 recommended? thanks!

Absolutely (and Welcome!)

You never want to NET less than your BMR (1409). Read through the stickies in the forum and first of all decide if you feel you should do a metabolic reset (if you have been at VLCD for a while now, you really should consider it). If you do the reset, then set your mfp goal to tdee (2185) and eat that every day for 8 weeks before moving to cut. If you decide to start with your cut, then set your mfp goal to 1857 (2185-15%) and eat that every day of the week.

That's a quick start guide, but you really need to read through the stickies and watch the videos so that you know which path to take, what to expect, and understand more about what you are about to do and how to do it. And of course, at any time we welcome your questions! It's hard to wrap your mind around at first, so ask, ask, ask about anything you don't understand. :flowerforyou:
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello :)

I'm Mili, age 22, from London. I am not looking to lose weight, as I'm 5'1 (nearly), 105-109lbs and 21% body fat. But I am hoping to eat more! I have been eating 1800-2000 per day, but my TDEE is 2250-2800. Honestly, I am starving hungry on 1800! However, I was maintaining my weight quite nicely around that intake, leaving me to think that my recent recovery from anorexia has left me with some metabolic damage. I realise that it's probably not normal to be ravenous all day while maintaining my weight, so I'm hoping that eating my TDEE will put this right, and I'm also hoping that any weight gain will be temporary. If I gain any 'real' weight, I'd hope to be able to do a cut at about 2000 calories per day.

My daily schedule is very busy. I cycle and walk everywhere, work out 6-7 days a week (running and lifting, mostly) and I'm a violinist which means I'm on my feet practicing for a good portion of the day. I don't have a BMF or anything, but all online calculators give me about 2250 TDEE, and when I use the Health-Calc website (where you plug in exactly how long you spend doing what each day) I get 2200-2800.

As I mentioned, I am in recovery for anorexia, and my BMI dropped from 27 to 17 in just 6 months so it's no wonder my poor body is confused about how much food it wants or needs! As you can imagine, it's pretty terrifying for someone in my position to be faced with the respect of eating more since I survived for months on less than 500 calories, so I'll be popping in here for support and reassurance often.
  • dmgeurts
    dmgeurts Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I go by D~ on all the boards I frequent. I just joined MFP in May, and I really loved the logging portion of the website. I've logged religiously every day.

My history with "dieting" has been less than stellar - so much so - that everyone I know no longer comments on my gains or losses, because they know that neither of them will be long lived. I am trying, yet again, to lose the same 50-75 lbs that I've gained and lost no less than 6 times over the last 10 years. Almost everything I have lost has been on WW. The problem with that, is that I dispise their tracking methods - it's just so much work - trying to convert everything all the time, and if you don't have the handy-dandy calculator with you, your out of luck. This time, I just really wanted to do it differently. I have two teenage dds at home, and I must say that their eating habits are horrible - and a lot of that is because I have not been a good example. I really want them to learn how to lose/take care of their bodies in a healthy manner - vs. the starvation methods that are rampant amongst their friends. The best way I know to do that, is to lead by example.

And here I am...

About 2 weeks ago, I really took notice about how my body was reacting to my workouts. I was about 10 days in to the 30DS, and also doing my 1 or 2 mile Walk Away the Pounds DVDs 5 days/week, on top of that - I continue to do my floor Ab workouts 3 days per week. I also work outside the home 2 days per week in a retail job, where I am on my feet. However, on the days I don't work outside the home, I have a small sewing business - so I am sedentary at my machines the rest of the time.

Anyways... I noticed that I was sooo tired all the time, I could barely focus or function. Not just tired, but really tired. I had a small "aha" moment, and thought - wow, with all this excercise I am doing, I am probably not eating enough to fuel my body. I upped my calorie intake a little bit, as best I could, and really tried to make all of my intake count. I was still so tired.

Last week, I stumbled on someone's post in the Success Story section, about how she had lost all this weight by not starving herself. Which led me here. I've been lurking for the last week, trying to get the courage to up my calorie intake to my TDEE -15%, but only manging to up it to my BMR + eating back half my work out calories. Finally, today, I took the plunge and upped it to my TDEE -15%... I am so nervous.

Up until the last week, I was showing great progress on and off the scale - but over the last week - I definately feel the bloat. And my measurements confirm it. I am afraid to weigh myself, I just don't want to know, and I don't want to become obsessed with it. I am really in this for how I feel - and to be honest - I feel much better than I did a week ago - and a thousand times better than I felt before I started anything at all. I have dreams of having the strength to function, and the endurance to do more. I also have dreams of this being a true lifestyle change - and if I have to restrict my calorie intake forever, then I will just end up gaining it back again.

But I wll admit - I am so scared. I've worked really hard over the past 2 months to make progress, and I am so afraid that moving forward will be perceived as moving backwards, and I don't want to look like a failure again. My husband has watched me gain and lose, gain and lose more times than I care to admit - and I am mostly worried that he will think I've "fallen off the wagon" yet again. Not only that, but I will think I've "fallen off the wagon" - and that's the biggest hurdle of all.

It's so frustrating to know where you want to be, imagine yourself there, but really no idea how to get there or - more importantly - how to stay there.

D~
  • KurOcha
    KurOcha Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm kurocha and I dont like using my real name.

I'm 21 and I've been pretty much trying to lose weight since middle school because I've always been bullied about being fat. Even now when I go to the beach or take a walk people shout rude things at me. I hate being alive. I don't have any friends and I want to kill myself. I've been overweight all of my life, and it just never seems to go away.

I don't know how to do this eating more and losing thing but I've tried reading all the threads and I'm still pretty confused.
    I have bad lungs and don't like to do cardio because it makes me choke after 5 minutes so the most exercise I can do is walking and anything that doesn't require running or moving around too much.

This is the information I got from the calculator thing.

21 years old
    Current Weight: 210 lbs
    BMR: 1793
    TDEE: 2153
    -15%: 1829

Can someone tell me if I'm going to gain tons of weight if I do this reset thing I really don't need to be any fatter than I already am or I really might just kill myself. I'm seriously at a loss and I'm really confused about this entire thing. Is there a simple step by step post because I have no idea where to even begin.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Jerry here, from Pittsburgh. I've been hovering around 157-160 for months now. joined a gym last month... want to see if I can kick 10 more lbs...my energy level is higher than it's ever been but I'm still stagnant. that's me folks.
  • jcreynolds98
    jcreynolds98 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Christy. I joined MFP last week. I have been struggling trying to eat at the 1200 calorie mark set by MFP. Then I started reading about EM2WL. I feel hungry all the time on 1200 calories. I am trying to become more active and to get a routine going that I hopefully will be able to keep up when school resumes in August. I teach secondary science and commute 75 miles one way to get to work. Usually I leave around 6:00am to get to work and it is between 5 and 6 pm when I return home in the evenings. My husband is very active (working out on our Bowflex and walking/running several miles every other day).

CW: 205.5
    BMR: 1681
    TDEE: 2607
    -15%: 2215
    -20%: 2085

Based on the calculations, does that not seem like a lot of calories? I used the link from one of the posts on this forum. Would it be better to go with the 15% deficit or the 20% deficit? Sorry for the questions.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Welcome all you newer members.. to what is now the BIGGEST GROUP ON MFP!! WOO

Just wanted to say although I know it seems scary.. don't just up your numbers randomly bit by bit.. The math works, so go with your TDEE cut value, it will work! :)

And read all the thumb tacked threads.. they are invaluable Gems of insight!
  • thmprdale
    thmprdale Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Meaghan. c:

It'll be a year in November since I first joined MFP and up until now I've stuck with it for about 3 weeks at a time. MFP put me on a 1210 cal/per day diet since I chose losing 2 Ibs/week. Before I joined, I lost roughly 50 Ibs last spring by cutting my calories way down (700-900 average) and by walking 5 miles every single day. I also ate low fat, low cal, sugar free, no fast food, no sodas, about 10 glasses of water a day, and so on. This is sustainable for me. After going on a camping trip last May, it's been a yo-yo effect ever since by binge eating with no exercise to cutting my calories way down and exercising all the time.

As far as medical issues, I have PCOS and I'm bipolar. I know losing weight and being healthy will help both of those greatly and I feel em2wl is a lifestyle that I could live, not just a diet. So, here's my curent plan of action, and if anyone has tips or suggestions, send them my way. c:

First, I'll do a metabolism reset for at least 3 weeks, maybe longer if I feel I need it (my BMR is 1658 and my TDEE is 2570). After that, I'll do TDEE-15% (2185 according to scooby's calculator) for 4 weeks, then maintence for a week and alternate. I'll also will be doing 6 small meals versus 3 large meals, with a small snack at night to take medication.

Exercising will be walking in the mornings (not at a fast pace, but something to keep my feet moving) with weight training 3 times a week. I've been thinking about doing nrolw4w but I haven't decided for sure.

CW: 221.8
    GW: 140

I'm giving myself until my 21st birthday (i'm turning 19 in October) to lose the weight which I feel is enough time and gives me a goal.

I'm super excited to be starting this journey and am so glad to be aprt of the em2wl community!
  • Talialala
    Talialala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone. I saw someone mention this group in their profile and HAD to find out what this is all about. I've read in the past how eating more calories and working out is the best way to loose weight but I'm so scared of gaining weight that I had never tried it.

Until today.

I've been struggling to loose weight for months. I've lost 4 pounds and no inches in over a month. I eat 1200 consistently, sometimes more sometimes less, and always work out even if its not logged. I'm tired. I'm irritable. I just want to live. I don't want to fight myself anymore.

I love eating healthy, and I love the little indulgences. But I want to learn how to eat properly (higher calories) as well as get fit and healthy. I want to be apart of this movement of eating more and weighling less.

Thank you for this group!!!!
  • jyska
    Options
    Hey Everyone. I saw someone mention this group in their profile and HAD to find out what this is all about. I've read in the past how eating more calories and working out is the best way to loose weight but I'm so scared of gaining weight that I had never tried it.

Until today.

I've been struggling to loose weight for months. I've lost 4 pounds and no inches in over a month. I eat 1200 consistently, sometimes more sometimes less, and always work out even if its not logged. I'm tired. I'm irritable. I just want to live. I don't want to fight myself anymore.

I love eating healthy, and I love the little indulgences. But I want to learn how to eat properly (higher calories) as well as get fit and healthy. I want to be apart of this movement of eating more and weighling less.

Thank you for this group!!!!

Welcome!!! :flowerforyou: Make sure you read through the stickies and get a feeling for the journey you are about to embark on! And post any questions you have, or when you need support. We're here for you!
  • jyska
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Meaghan. c:

It'll be a year in November since I first joined MFP and up until now I've stuck with it for about 3 weeks at a time. MFP put me on a 1210 cal/per day diet since I chose losing 2 Ibs/week. Before I joined, I lost roughly 50 Ibs last spring by cutting my calories way down (700-900 average) and by walking 5 miles every single day. I also ate low fat, low cal, sugar free, no fast food, no sodas, about 10 glasses of water a day, and so on. This is sustainable for me. After going on a camping trip last May, it's been a yo-yo effect ever since by binge eating with no exercise to cutting my calories way down and exercising all the time.

As far as medical issues, I have PCOS and I'm bipolar. I know losing weight and being healthy will help both of those greatly and I feel em2wl is a lifestyle that I could live, not just a diet. So, here's my curent plan of action, and if anyone has tips or suggestions, send them my way. c:

First, I'll do a metabolism reset for at least 3 weeks, maybe longer if I feel I need it (my BMR is 1658 and my TDEE is 2570). After that, I'll do TDEE-15% (2185 according to scooby's calculator) for 4 weeks, then maintence for a week and alternate. I'll also will be doing 6 small meals versus 3 large meals, with a small snack at night to take medication.

Exercising will be walking in the mornings (not at a fast pace, but something to keep my feet moving) with weight training 3 times a week. I've been thinking about doing nrolw4w but I haven't decided for sure.

CW: 221.8
    GW: 140

I'm giving myself until my 21st birthday (i'm turning 19 in October) to lose the weight which I feel is enough time and gives me a goal.

I'm super excited to be starting this journey and am so glad to be aprt of the em2wl community!

Welcome!! :flowerforyou:
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I am nearing the end of my 2nd week :)