Introduction for New Members

Options

Replies

• mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I am not new to MFP but I am new to EM2WL. I have 3 weeks left of P90x and then I plan on starting it again. I don't follw the nutrition guide because it is too difficult working full time and having to cook for a family of 5. I have done well with P90x. I have lost almost 23lbs and over 11 inches. Coming into the second month though the scale has stopped. I'm not too worried about the scale as long as there are changes in my body. I read about EM2WL in the forums and I was curious so I started upping my calories last week. When I weighed myself on Sunday I was down 1.4lbs! Thank you to the people who have done all the research for the rest of us :flowerforyou:
  • 3goobers
    3goobers Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been doing MFP for 65 days and was strictly following the 1200 calories plus 30 minutes of "circuit training" per day (for 6 days a week).... however I have not gone ANYWHERE on the scale! I shrank down a size, however I have now stayed right where I am. My sister suggested looking into EM2WL but I am a little confused. Do I increase my calorie intake AND my exercise goal? Should my calorie intake just be higher initially (say 1400) and then my "net" should stay with that caloric number? I think I am just confusing myself more and more... please HELP!!! :) I just want to be a happy, healthier mommy...
    C
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been doing MFP for 65 days and was strictly following the 1200 calories plus 30 minutes of "circuit training" per day (for 6 days a week).... however I have not gone ANYWHERE on the scale! I shrank down a size, however I have now stayed right where I am. My sister suggested looking into EM2WL but I am a little confused. Do I increase my calorie intake AND my exercise goal? Should my calorie intake just be higher initially (say 1400) and then my "net" should stay with that caloric number? I think I am just confusing myself more and more... please HELP!!! :) I just want to be a happy, healthier mommy...
    C

Determine what your exercise goal will be and plug that into the calculator so you get an accurate TDEE. Take 15% from TDEE and eat that every single day. Be sure to net your bmr if you have a high burn day. You can do this!
    Lucia
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name is Christine and I am a dual-degree graduate student in St. Louis studying both law and public health. I love my studies, and I started an internship that I love working with childhood obesity. I've been fairly regular on MFP since January, but have only lost 5lbs! I started at 1200 and lost, but gained it all back when I switched to 1450 or so.

A month ago I started P90X. I've only lost about 3lbs in that month, which is apparently what I should be losing, but I hit a wall near the fourth week. I haven't lost in a few weeks, and I'm curious about my undereating. I looked up my BMR (181lbs at 25) and found that it said 1620! I was shocked since I'd been following the mfp numbers. After doing research on TDEE and BMR, I decided to raise my cals to 1850 today. I'm so nervous!

My thought was that p90x is a heavy workout 6 days a week. I'm also thinking about adding (slowly) some running for additional cardio, since p90x is primarily weight and strength training. With all that work, I felt I needed more calories! I burn anywhere from 500-over 1000 calories per video with p90x and I'm hoping I can keep it up.

I'm still a little confused about tracking, but I plan on doing some research with this groups discussion boards! Here I am, checkin in for the first time! Wish me luck!
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

It's great to be a part of the EM2WL group. I'm on my second week of eating more to weigh less and am LOVING it so far.

A little background - I'm a 26 year old female, 5'9", weighed 87.2kg in September 2010 and went down to 77/78kg a year later by following weight watchers and doing mainly cardio (and a little BodyPump).

Over the past year, I've been hovering IRRITATINGLY at the 77 - 79kg mark. I was always less than satisfied food-wise and while I consistently worked out, I didn't have a crazy amount of energy. I hit the dreaded plateau and was fed up with all my efforts amounting to nothing. My goal weight was 72kg. 5 measly kilos that are clinging on for dear life.

I then decided to try a WW versus MFP week last week, which made me realise how ridiculously restricted I was with WW! I was eating around 1200-1400 cals a day, plus burning between 250-550 cals with my exercise almost daily. All this time I thought I was "eating well" when in fact, I was starving my body. Which was shocking to me because I always thought to myself, "wow, I'm such a sensible eater/exerciser, I'd never be one of those desperate starvation diet folks". Imagine my shock once I learned that my BMR was 1600, and yet I was consistently netting HUNDREDS of cals below that.

So, last week I upped my calories to 1700 + exercise cals. After reading a little more, and because I'm an "all or nothing" type, I'm now up at 2110 per day, that being my TDEE (2489) less 15%.

I am LOVING my newfound food freedom. In just over a week (I'm also doing the 30 Day Shred) I've noticed better muscle definition, less belly pudge, and way more energy.

Looking forward to embarking on this journey with you all!
  • Weight_less
    Weight_less Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody!

My name is Tanya, I'm 27-years-olded Russian girl. My weight loss method was portion control. I did not count calories, but just controlled my portions. Well, that method was successful, I lost 33 kilos so far.

SW 113 kilo
    CW 80,5 kilo
    GW 60 kilo

But two months ago I've hit the plateau. My weight stuck, I'm so frustrated. I'm frustrated not just because of numbers on the scale. I don't know what to do, what works for me? What helps? So that's why I am here. I just LOVE this group!!! I want to say a huuuuuge thank you to all of you, guys! This is sensation! This is really very precious information. I believe this information will help me to reach my goal weight and to keep my weight healthy.

I do cardio exercises 3-5 hours a week, I added weights to break through the plateau. At this week I do calorie cycling.

I'm a bit confused about my BMR and TDEE, I need to read and learn more about it :)

Wish me luck! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

My name is Rose. I had been doing something similar to this since the beginning of May but hadn't realized it had a name or a group associated with it until recently.

My BMR is 1504.
    A 15% cut from my TDEE is 1982.
    I do both cardio and lifting, at a moderate exercise level. I will either exercise every day for 30 minutes, or if I skip a day, I'll make up for it by doing an hour the next day. I try to burn 1600 calories a week through exercise, and do 3-4 hours of exercise a week.

My issue is that I am obsessed with netting 1510 calories a day. I'll eat my 15% cut number some days, but I won't eat any exercise calories back so I can get down to 1510. If I don't exercise one day, I'll only eat 1510 calories. I have been successful so far, losing 5 pounds this way, but if I plateau, I know why. I joined this group to prepare myself for the reality that I'll probably have to bump up my calories at some point.
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

My name is Jack and I'm 28 and currently residing in Bristol, UK. I'm a psychology student, married and owner of two crazy cats called Bilbo and Pippin. I've been trying to lose weight on and off for 7 years. I have surgeries that I are waiting to be done but they won't do them on anyone with a BMI over 30. So my surgery goal is about 160lbs so have about 55lbs to go until then. I saw someone talking about this group and it got me thinking about all the time that I spend hungry and have been eating around 1700 calories a day. The scooby site says that my BMR is 2027 so have been eating below my BMR for a while now, even worse that some days my NET calories are around 500-600. I'm never sure what exercise level to choose, I cycle 20k a day and go swimming 1/2 times a week. I do a lot of pushing in my wheelchair up and down hills.

Anyway, see you all around.
  • evansrabbitranch
    Options
    I have been eating more to weigh less for 3 days. Yesterday was day 2, I was able to hear the alarm. Still struggled to get out of bed but was able to wake up! Today, the alarm went off and ten minutes later I was up and at em. This is big for me. I had found out day one on this site that I only ate 900 or so calories O.O Not good. I struggled for all of 20 minutes with the idea that I needed to eat back what I worked off. If the computer says I need to put in X amount and after workout my input is really Y then I need to fix that. It makes sense. I can't imagine what my net was when I was eating so little and working out more than I am at this point....I am getting a juicer on Monday, my old one died two years ago and I put back on half what I had lost. I dug out my steamer and have been exploring steamed foods. Who knew steamed tilapia was better than baked?? I can't wait to go grocery shopping, I have it in my head what to buy and how what I get will help me lose weight and keep my family healthy. I read most of the stickies. Thank you for having them!
  • miumiulolo
    Options
    Hi!
    My name is Lauren, I finally decided I am tired of being "skinny fat" and want to lose the extra fat and gain some muscle! It can definitely be frustrating having people tell you that you are skinny and fine, but when you look in the mirror you've got that dreaded tummy pooch and some flabby thighs/hips and can't lift a gallon of milk to save my life. Plus, who doesn't want to be strong!

I signed up for MFP earlier this month and when I first started (before reading these lovely forums) I decided I wanted to lose 5-10 pounds. I am currently 5'5, 125 lbs, and 24 yrs old. MFP set me up with a 1200 calorie eating plan, but after two weeks of Yoga 3x a week, bootcamp 2x a week, and cardio 2x a week, I decided the 1200 calorie (even with eating my exercise cals) was NOT enough! I have been reading a bunch on the TDEE and BMR but still need a little help.

Last week I upped my calories to my BMR which is 1391 and have been eating back my exercise cals, but have still been wondering how much more I need to eat. *I know everyone is different, but what is ideal for losing fat and gaining muscle?* I have finally decided that since I am a healthy weight I need to step away from the scale and worry less about losing weight and more about getting fit/in shape. Here are my numbers if anyone wants to help me out! Also, I find it easier to eat calories back on workout days so I set all the calculators to sedentary.

BMR- 1391
    TDEE(fitness frog)-1657
    TDEE Cut (15% because 20% brings me below BMR)- 1408

Any more help is greatly appreciated! I am glad I found this group :) my body is already iron and vitamin D deficient I don't really need to starve it on a 1200 calorie diet.
  • FatSlayer1016
    FatSlayer1016 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Greetings fellow eaters!

I have been here on MFP for 45 days. I still have yet to figure out what is the right calorie intake for me to consume. I tried the 1300 recommended for me at first but was hungry all the time, not to mention cranky. I have been steadily upping my calories from then on out, but after having been on 1300 for a few weeks I find it hard to eat 1600, let alone 1900! I just crunched some numbers and with my exercise goals, my TDEE is approximately 2787. I figured 1900 was a decent number. My BMR is 1797.

A little more about me:
    I am 24, 5'4 and currently weigh 219-220. I am unemployed until August 29th when school starts up again. Between now and then, and after that return date too of course, my focus is my body. I still haven't gotten my diet completely cleaned up, but it is a LOT less dirty then it was before. I am currently doing 30-60 minutes of cardio before lifting for at least an hour three days a week. I want to work more cardio in, but I am taking it slow and easy so that I don't fizzle out.
    I have no true support at home. My SO says "you are perfect just the way you are!" Although that is sweet and I thank him for excepting me as a person rather than an image, it doesn't help me want to get up in the morning and work out. :( So that is where you all come in to play! I am always looking for friends that have similar goals to me. I believe in eating more to weigh less, and lifting heavy to get light!

~Keep eating :)
  • swaters86
    swaters86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Stacey and I've been using MFP for a couple of years off and on and I've finally decided that I need to get my butt in gear and make this an everyday thing! I've been overweight my whole life and found out in October 2009 that I have PCOS. So not only is it hard to have babies (I found out the same month that I got married) but it's also incredibly hard to lose weight!

My dr did not fully understand what PCOS was, or who I was really, and wanted me to get down to 150 lbs before she would let me try hormones to get pregnant. I'm 6', a little under 300 lbs and I don't think i'll EVER weight 150!!! She wanted me eating 1500 calories a day, and from what I've read, that's just ridiculous for my current weight and height!

So I got rid of the dr, but i was still struggling on how many calories i should eat to help me lose weight. I started counting again today, and decided to start off at 1800, but then i found this group and was so happy i didn't have to starve myself at 1800 calories!

i know some of you must be thinking that 1800 is a lot, and it is, but not when your weight is starting so high! I know eventually i will be able to eat 1800 calories a day and feel satisfied, but for right now, my TDEE-15% is around 2500 calories. It's obviously less than i have been eating, or else i wouldn't weigh what i do, but it's enough so i don't just say screw it and eat every thing in the kitchen!

I'm hoping to stick with this, but i will definitely need some encouragement along the way! Friend requests welcomed! :)
  • Sji19109
    Sji19109 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi my name is Stephanie and i'd like to lose around 20-30 lbs. I'm used to the diets where you eat minimal calorie and starve all day so EM2WL is new for me. I'm still trying to figure our where I stand calorie wise and trying to exercise more often. I'm hoping to make some friends here and learn some healthy tips!!! Thanks!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    YAY Stephanie!!! Glad you joined!!
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've been here since Monday June 25 so figured it was time to introduce myself.

My name is Kim and I'm 39 from Michigan. I'm a bank manager and my baby is my Dachshund, Schnitzel.

I've been using MFP since January and lost 38 lbs but have lost nothing since April. Its been tough. I asked one of my friends who was the most consistent loser of all my friends what she was doing and she told me about this group. I did some research on my own and decided that yes, I'm in it for the long haul so what do I have to lose? Plus I really feel like I was starving myself and I would go to bed hungry and that would make me overeat anyway.

Anyway I have about 100 or so pounds to lose and I'm hoping this will be the way to do it. I'm not here for a quick fix and I've read the posts about patience and I'm willing to stick it out.

I'm in week two of TurboFire (I did the 9 week prep first) and after this I'm going to be doing Chalean Extreme to incorporate more weights.

Hope to get to know a lot of you!!

Kim
  • Tahlij
    Tahlij Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Afternoon all!

I'm Tahli, 26 from High Wycombe, UK. I came across this group by finally venturing in to the message board function of this site. My profile will give you full info, basically I started out at 15 stone 7lb, now hovering around the 10 stone mark. In January of this year I made myself very ill, eating around 1200 calories while hitting the cardio hard 5 times a week. Although I would 'treat' myself occasionally I would feel so guilty that in the next few days after I would punish myself - and do this every few weeks. My fella is in the RAF and was in Afghanistan, and I wanted to look amazing for when he came home - all he got was an emotional mess who would cry if she ate more than she thought she could and was obsessed with cardio..few slaps around the chops later and here I am..

Like most, the thought of eating more scares the poo out of me, but I've read and re-read all the info - it all makes perfect sense and I am looking forward to hitting the weights, eating more good natural food and enjoying my life again!

My stats are as follows:

SW - 15st 7lb
    CW - 10st 3lb
    GW - 9st 7lb
    Height - 5ft 5

BMR - 1440
    TDEE - 2232
    Cals - 1897

Would really appreciate any friend adds, help and support each other - my fella is fit in himself and knows what he can do, I on the other hand just need that little bit of support from people in the same boat as me as most of my friends think I'm a little nuts with the weight/fitness stuff!

Thank you for setting this up, I really do see this as being the answer to a long happy life at a weight I am happy with ( - the wobbly bits!!)

Tails xx
  • BaileyKat52
    BaileyKat52 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I just set my macros and hope I have it right. Here we go:

BMR: 1450
    TDEE: 1740

So I subtracted 15% from my TDEE and got: 1479

I just set my daily calories to 1479 and my macros to 40/30/30

I hope I have this all right.

And, just asking to make sure I understand correctly....I don't eat back any of my exercise calories right? Just make sure my food adds up to 1479 in total not my net?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
  • NewInnerStrength
    NewInnerStrength Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

My name is Amy, been on MFP for awhile but only used it when I was dieting...I did an extremely low cal diet last fall and it worked great for me (besides the dizzy spells, feeling cold, actually chewing food and spitting it out, you know...), i lost 35lbs...gained back about 8 and stayed happily at about 175 until April of this year...then I quit smoking, and now here I am!! Needless to say I tried the super low cal thing for a week and gave up, instead started with cardio and tried to just eat cleaner. Then I noticed that the more I exercised, the more I felt like eating and became frustrated....went online for some help and found this!This EM2WL is really growing on me fast, but I have a couple Q's that I can't seem to find the answers to yet...so if you can help, please read on!! :flowerforyou:

Stats:
    AGE 34
    Height: 5'7"
    CW: Not sure...(last weigh in 2 weeks ago was 198)
    GW: 155
    BMR: 1634
    TDEE: 2533
    Cut 15%: 2153

DIET
    I have been slowly EM2WL for about 5 days now as I have been reading and at the same time listening to my own body!!:heart: Tomorrow I will just jump in there and go the final leg up tomorrow to my TDEE less 15%. You know that whole "your body will BEG you for food" by the time your timer goes off?...SO TRUE!!
    I am obsessed with the food portion of this thing, MFP is checked like 15 times a day...although my body is giving me all the right signals. My problem is getting my macros right...always lacking that last bit of protien even with shakes. Can someone please confirm if it's 40% Carb, 30% Pro, 30% Fat? Also, should I be concerned about taking in that much fat? Or if I should be concerned at all with sugars? I am consistently way over the sugars and know that can't be good even if they are mostly natural sugars...Any guidance from the veterans here would be extremely appreciated!

EXERCISE - PLEASE HELP!!!
    I am currently away from my home and therefore away from my scale, but I do have access to a nice gym (but the scale sucks, I refuse to use it) which I use at least 3-5 times per week...I can't order the NROLFW until we get back home in August, so could someone tell me where to at least get a start for the next three weeks? I'm alreading lifting 3 times a week (on top of my cardio) but all I did was up the weight to much more than I was before (darned barbie weights anyways!) Can someone give me like a brief breakdown of what I should be doing exercise wise for the first 3-4 weeks...? It would really really help me at this point!:smile:
  • NewInnerStrength
    NewInnerStrength Posts: 25 Member
    Options

And, just asking to make sure I understand correctly....I don't eat back any of my exercise calories right? Just make sure my food adds up to 1479 in total not my net?

Hi Andrea...I'm pretty new to this too, but from what I've read, you have to eat back your exercise, so you want your NET calories to be the 1479.

Correct me if I'm wrong here veterans...
  • Tahlij
    Tahlij Posts: 31 Member
    Options

If you are exercising on a regular basis then you need to add this in to the mix and include it in your TDEE - to me your figures seem quite low. If you include your exciercise in the TDEE then you do not eat back the calories (as it is already incuded in the figures) - if you have not put them in to the TDEE figure then you do need to eat them back. I'm fairly new myself but that's what I understand from it, sure someone will pipe up if I'm wrong..

Good luck :) Tails x