Introduction for New Members

Options

Replies

• xmommyof2boysx
    xmommyof2boysx Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone..

I am a 27 year old Mommy of 2 boys. I am a short 4'10" or maybe 4'11" on a good day.

I read a post from a friend in regards to eating more and weighing less. I did a little research and decided to jump in. First, I was set automatically by MFP to 1210 cals/day. I then started eating at my BMR and lost 0.7 lbs by the next day. Then I upped my calories to my TDEE-15% and lost another 0.9 lbs. So the last two days, I have already lost 1.6 lbs. I am so excited!

Don't worry, the weighing everyday thing is just for this week, somehow, even with the results, I am still terrified about eating more.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Im a mother of a beautiful baby that struggle every day to be in this world. His doctors said he would live more than a few months but he is alive and kicking :) although he doesnt talk or move...but i think he is happy because he is always smiling at us. My day revolves around him and around my work.
    Because of the level of stress that im in its very difficult to lose weight since i stuff my self up with food by the end of the day. I want to lose weight because i cant get pregnant without being 20kg less (medical orders...bah).
    Need help and guidance.

Wow. What a strong woman you are, and an inspiration. Welcome to the group. :flowerforyou:

If anyone is bored and wants to check my numbers just to give me some encouragement that I'm on the right track, please feel free.

Currently I'm:
    Weight: 162 lbs
    Height: 5'5"
    (and of course as stated above I'm a 38 year old female)
    I have a desk job so I workout 6-7 days a week (doing P90X right now, plus walking the dog at a brisk pace for an hour every day) and I'm active at home after work cleaning, cooking, yard etc, etc, etc. (I don't usually sit down until 8:30 or 9 at night for an hour of tv then off to bed and up again at 5:30am)

Welcome to the group!

How frustrating to have gone through all that you have! We're happy to have you here, and there is definitely hope in fueling your body properly :wink:

Not really bored, lol, but looking at your numbers, and the amount of exercising you're doing, I actually do think that your cals are a bit low. You are extremely active, despite your desk job. So your TDEE should have that figured in. I'd figure you at least 2500+ for your TDEE, w/cut cals around 2000-2200.

I know that eating more is a big step for you so feel free to up the cals slowly if that is more comfortable for you, and check out all of the stickied info so that you know what to expect. :happy:

~Kiki
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

If anyone is bored and wants to check my numbers just to give me some encouragement that I'm on the right track, please feel free.

Currently I'm:
    Weight: 162 lbs
    Height: 5'5"
    (and of course as stated above I'm a 38 year old female)
    I have a desk job so I workout 6-7 days a week (doing P90X right now, plus walking the dog at a brisk pace for an hour every day) and I'm active at home after work cleaning, cooking, yard etc, etc, etc. (I don't usually sit down until 8:30 or 9 at night for an hour of tv then off to bed and up again at 5:30am)

Welcome to the group!

How frustrating to have gone through all that you have! We're happy to have you here, and there is definitely hope in fueling your body properly :wink:

Not really bored, lol, but looking at your numbers, and the amount of exercising you're doing, I actually do think that your cals are a bit low. You are extremely active, despite your desk job. So your TDEE should have that figured in. I'd figure you at least 2500+ for your TDEE, w/cut cals around 2000-2200.

I know that eating more is a big step for you so feel free to up the cals slowly if that is more comfortable for you, and check out all of the stickied info so that you know what to expect. :happy:

~Kiki

Thanks Kiki, I appreciate you checking those for me. I will try to raise my calories a bit more. I've been upping them 100cals/week as I find that the easiest way to get my mind and body wrapped around the extra cals. (although this last bump to 1500 has been the weirdest since it seems so much easier to eat normal at this level and I tend to feel quite full for a short period after a meal which is new and sends my mind into a slight panic that I'm overeating :noway: )

But just so I have this straight then, it's ok to NET a few hundred cals ABOVE my BMR as long as I'm netting 15-20% below TDEE?
  • subway_to_liz
    Options
    Hey, I'm Liz from Germany. I'm on a plateau for 4 months now, fluctuating from 95 to 97 kg and can't seem to get lower.

Start: 119kg
    Currently: 96kg
    Goal: 68kg

Age 31
    Height 170cm

I excercise 3-4 times a week, Spinning and Zumba.

I finally stumbled across these fantastic posts and this group so after calculating my BMR to be anywhere between 1666 and 1731 and MFP telling me to eat 1640cals a day, I've today decided to go with upping it.

Hoping I haven't been eating too little I've upped my net cal on MFP to 1750 now and will increase this to 1850 on the 23rd April.
    I'll ensure not to eat below my net cal on non excercise days and will always eat sufficient excercise calories back not to fall below my BMR.

Also, I'll switch 1h of cardio for 1h of strenght training now I've read all this.

Let's see where this will take me! :)

Anyone who wants more support and frineds, feel free to add me, I'm always up for motivation and support!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Liz from Germany. I'm on a plateau for 4 months now, fluctuating from 95 to 97 kg and can't seem to get lower.

Start: 119kg
    Currently: 96kg
    Goal: 68kg

Age 31
    Height 170cm

I excercise 3-4 times a week, Spinning and Zumba.

I finally stumbled across these fantastic posts and this group so after calculating my BMR to be anywhere between 1666 and 1731 and MFP telling me to eat 1640cals a day, I've today decided to go with upping it.

Hoping I haven't been eating too little I've upped my net cal on MFP to 1750 now and will increase this to 1850 on the 23rd April.
    I'll ensure not to eat below my net cal on non excercise days and will always eat sufficient excercise calories back not to fall below my BMR.

Also, I'll switch 1h of cardio for 1h of strenght training now I've read all this.

Let's see where this will take me! :)

Anyone who wants more support and frineds, feel free to add me, I'm always up for motivation and support!

If it is any way possible, you want to try to lift at least 3x's a week and if that is too much then do upper body one day and lower body another...try to get the book New Rules of Lifting Weights for Women, that will get you off to a good start. Lifting transforms the body in a way that cardio can't. A part of what started me on this journey was looking at all the women in the high burn cardio classes...they never looked any different really after months and months...in my mind if I am not changing then I am not doing something right...then I started looking into the weights way more seriously and have cut back my FAVORITE ZUMBA...oh how I love it, but it wasn't giving me the results I needed...and so I do weights 3x's wkly, zumba once, and to do HIIT at lunch time walk once a week...if I miss a cardio day...hey whatever, but I never miss my lifting!
  • subway_to_liz
    Options
    Ah, that's gonna be a hard one :) Thanks for the tip Lucia, I'll definitely try this and up the weights and decrease the cardio.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Ah, that's gonna be a hard one :) Thanks for the tip Lucia, I'll definitely try this and up the weights and decrease the cardio.

It was so hard for me too hun, I love zumba with all my heart...Lord knows...it is hard for me to do it the one day I do because I HAVE to lift first and then I am almost dead, but I push anyway and know I probably shouldn't...
  • Stephiede
    Stephiede Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been following this group for awhile and decided to give it a 100% try last week. I'm 5'2 and last week I weighed 132.2 and today I weigh 130.5!! I am truly amazed!!. I have so much more energy and eating more is GREAT!! I started lifting more about a month ago but was always feeling tired. Now I know why. I love the changes that I'm seeing and I'm so thankful to everyone in this group. Your daily post and knowledge keeps me going. Can't wait to post some pics soon.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hello, I have been following this group for awhile and decided to give it a 100% try last week. I'm 5'2 and last week I weighed 132.2 and today I weigh 130.5!! I am truly amazed!!. I have so much more energy and eating more is GREAT!! I started lifting more about a month ago but was always feeling tired. Now I know why. I love the changes that I'm seeing and I'm so thankful to everyone in this group. Your daily post and knowledge keeps me going. Can't wait to post some pics soon.

Wow, that is just awesome! Yes, please post pics in the Before/Progress/Afters and your wonderful updates too in the weigh-in board...it is so encouraging!:-)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

YAYYY!!!! :D That's so awesome and I'm thrilled for you! :D
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm a newbie also. I searched TDEE and ran across a thread that Lucia had created regarding having your TDEE now what to do with it? And I was like "yeah what now"? So after reading the thread I still had questions and Lucia so kindly answered them and pointed me in this direction.

Stats:
    SW: 192.4 lbs
    GW: Don't have a goal. I want to have a firmer body. I currently look like a Sharpei :tongue:

According to FitnessFrog.com my BMR is 1636 and my TDEE is 2822 minus 15% = 2399

So I have a question regarding this. I wear a BMF (bodymedia fit) and on the days I exercise & work it has me burning anywhere from 3400 to 3700 calories in a 24 hour period. My calories from exercise ranges from 300 to 600 calories.

So for instance yesterday it says in a 24 hour period I burned 3464 calories and 199 of those calories was from my strength training. So 3265 was from me living and working. Should I trust my BFM or should I just stop wearing it and stick to what fitnessfrog.com has told me my TDEE is? I work as a saleperson at a department store so I'm walking constantly. Rarely am I just standing around doing nothing. From assisting customers, changing manequins, putting away clothes and dusting...I'm always on the move. I picked heavy exercise on FF for my activity level.

Also my hrm (Polar FT4) gave me a calorie burn of 304 during my strength training work out..big difference between it and the BMF huh).

Desz
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm a newbie also. I searched TDEE and ran across a thread that Lucia had created regarding having your TDEE now what to do with it? And I was like "yeah what now"? So after reading the thread I still had questions and Lucia so kindly answered them and pointed me in this direction.

Stats:
    GW: Don't have a goal. I want to have a firmer body. I currently look like a Sharpei :tongue:

According to FitnessFrog.com my BMR is 1636 and my TDEE is 2822 minus 15% = 2399

So I have a question regarding this. I wear a BMF (bodymedia fit) and on the days I exercise & work it has me burning anywhere from 3400 to 3700 calories in a 24 hour period. My calories from exercise ranges from 300 to 600 calories.

So for instance yesterday it says in a 24 hour period I burned 3464 calories and 199 of those calories was from my strength training. So 3265 was from me living and working. Should I trust my BFM or should I just stop wearing it and stick to what fitnessfrog.com has told me my TDEE is? I work as a saleperson at a department store so I'm walking constantly. Rarely am I just standing around doing nothing. From assisting customers, changing manequins, putting away clothes and dusting...I'm always on the move. I picked heavy exercise on FF for my activity level.

Also my hrm (Polar FT4) gave me a calorie burn of 304 during my strength training work out..big difference between it and the BMF huh).

Desz

I don't know a thing about BFM...but I would think that would be more accurate. I would suggest googling the accuracy of the BMR and if it is solid then go with those numbers instead. If those numbers are right then you wouldn't be eating enough going with fitfrogs numbers....it is an estimate. I know Gemiwing uses one of those devices and I think she would be a better resource for the question....please inbox her this question, tell her I sent you. She does check the topics here, but you should inbox her for quicker response...then do me a big favor post what she suggests here please...
  • BigBoneSista
    Options

Stats:

Desz

I don't know a thing about BFM...but I would think that would be more accurate. I would suggest googling the accuracy of the BMR and if it is solid then go with those numbers instead. If those numbers are right then you wouldn't be eating enough going with fitfrogs numbers....it is an estimate. I know Gemiwing uses one of those devices and I think she would be a better resource for the question....please inbox her this question, tell her I sent you. She does check the topics here, but you should inbox her for quicker response...then do me a big favor post what she suggests here please...

Okie dokie! I will touch base with her and let you know her response.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi. My name is Jessie and I'm so glad I found this group!!! I've been on MFP for just over a year now - down 30lbs. I've been plateau'd since January and been up and down the same 3lbs since!!! So, maybe by upping my cals this will jump start something! (I hope)

My stats - 5'4.75" (that .75 is extremely important!!!) 39yo female. My BF per fat to fit is 29.1%
    HW 204
    MFP SW 187
    CW 157
    Goal - Was thinking 140 "ish" - or just when I feel comfortable :)

BMR 1460
    TDEE 1999 (light activity) - 2254 (mod activity)

My TDEE is where I am having troubles - actually activity level. I have a 8-4:30 desk job. I workout during my lunch hour every day - so 5 days a week - for about an hour. Either run (3.5miles) or do Jillian DVD's. My husband just got a bowflex from a friend - so I'm giving Jillian a break and working out with heavy resistance (for about 60-90mn). So starting this week - I'm doing 2-3 run days and 3 ST days. What would I set my activity level to? Moderately active??

So TDEE - 20% - I put my calories in to 1600 - 1800. Does that sound legit?

We'll see how it goes - I definately will enjoy eating more :)

I would suggest using the mod act level and only cutting 15% the first 4 weeks and see how that goes... I think if you lose at that amount then you have a little room if you plateau there. Me personally I would go up when I plateau instead of down but that's another story...
  • BigBoneSista
    Options

Stats:

Desz

Okie dokie! I will touch base with her and let you know her response.

Ok so she responded to my question. She doesn't use the Body Media Fit but she did however say that since the the BMF is personalized that it would be a better choice to follow.

So now I have to figure out my numbers from it. No exercise yesterday and I burned 2989....so 15% of that is 2540. I ate 1984 calories yesterday. My deficit was 556 calories. I needed to eat 108 more calories because 15% of my TDEE is 448....am I figuring this correctly? Fitnessfrog.com has my BMR set at 1636.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Ok so she responded to my question. She doesn't use the Body Media Fit but she did however say that since the the BMF is personalized that it would be a better choice to follow.

So now I have to figure out my numbers from it. No exercise yesterday and I burned 2989....so 15% of that is 2540. I ate 1984 calories yesterday. My deficit was 556 calories. I needed to eat 108 more calories because 15% of my TDEE is 448....am I figuring this correctly? Fitnessfrog.com has my BMR set at 1636.

What most folks who have a BMF do is have a cut-off time (usually around 9pm or a few hours before bed) and then base their intake on that info. Unless you're going to workout right before bedtime- it averages out nicely between days. If you notice a trend then you can start predicting what you'll need to eat.

Beyond that- yes, your number theories are correct :)
  • BigBoneSista
    Options

What most folks who have a BMF do is have a cut-off time (usually around 9pm or a few hours before bed) and then base their intake on that info. Unless you're going to workout right before bedtime- it averages out nicely between days. If you notice a trend then you can start predicting what you'll need to eat.

Beyond that- yes, your number theories are correct :)

Okie dokie. I will try to figure something out. Since I've up my calories I've been noticing I'm getting a bit hungrier but than again I haven't been eating a lot of calorie dense foods because of my work schedule and not better preparing. I will definitely get on that. About to bake some chicken breast now :0)
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Pina..I was introduced to this group by one of my MFP friends. I'm 49 years old SW:226, CW:206.8 (weight fluctuates a few lbs up and down here, but never below) Goal weight is 155.

I joined up last March 1, 2011.. weighed in at 226.. had lost 30 lbs at 1300 calories. Was working out 4 or 5 days week with a bit of strenght training.

Fast forward to November 2011.. ended up hurting myself and having cracked ribs, recovered from that , (took a long time, could hardly move) was really sick for another couple of weeks and then after recovering from that, I put my back out again and took a while to recover from that. Anyway, to make a long story short... It was the middle of February before I got back on track with my food diary and excercise.. had gained about 13 lbs back.

Since then, I have lost only 6 lbs which brings me to 19 lbs and the scale hasn't budged since the 4th of April. I figured my BMR IS 1516 and my TDEE is 2496. I upped my calories from 1540 to 1720 and work out at least 60 minutes a day 4-5 days a week if not more. I do an hr of cardio and heavy strenght training for half hr, altenating my days with lower and upper body workouts. I try to burn close to 1000 calories when I'm at the gym.

I have a Polar Ft4 HRM that I use whether I'm at gym, working out outside or in house .

Just hoping to see a little more progress.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hello Pina!!

Welcome to the group :)

My only suggestion would be to make sure you are at least netting your BMR. Your TDEE - 15% is about 2100 calories... If you are eating 1700 and burning 1000, you are netting 700 and should be eating at least 800 more to make sure you are netting around your BMR. I hope that makes sense!

Good luck to you
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Hello Pina!!

Welcome to the group :)

My only suggestion would be to make sure you are at least netting your BMR. Your TDEE - 15% is about 2100 calories... If you are eating 1700 and burning 1000, you are netting 700 and should be eating at least 800 more to make sure you are netting around your BMR. I hope that makes sense!

Good luck to you
    Wow! That's an awful lot of food in a day!!!..lol... thanks!! then again, if I work out less, i eat less.. makes sense!