Introduction for New Members

Options

Replies

• jan1755
    jan1755 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused by all this. My bMR is 1351 and my TDEE is 1858. I mostly am sedentary except for walking 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes at a time. I see that a lot of you lift weights and do major cardio workouts. Does upping calories apply to someone like me who is mostly sedentary and only 5 ft 3 in? MFP set my daily calories at 1200 and over the course of February, I did lose about 3 lbs. thanks.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused by all this. My bMR is 1351 and my TDEE is 1858. I mostly am sedentary except for walking 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes at a time. I see that a lot of you lift weights and do major cardio workouts. Does upping calories apply to someone like me who is mostly sedentary and only 5 ft 3 in? MFP set my daily calories at 1200 and over the course of February, I did lose about 3 lbs. thanks.

Yes this is for you too. 1200 is not meeting your basic needs. You would still eat 15% less your tdee. This is for everyone regardless of activity level.
  • jan1755
    jan1755 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ok. I reset my calories to TDEE less 15 percent. Do I eat my exercise calories on workout days or not? Thanks.
  • LauraDubbleya
    LauraDubbleya Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I"m Laura, 49 from British Columbia Canada. I've been on MFP now for over a year and a half. Two years ago I was 195 and had been diagnosed with Hypertension, which scared the beejeebers out of me. I joined a gym, lost 15 lbs in 3 months and then joined MFP and haven't lost very much since!!

Sucker for punishment maybe? I dunno. I like that I can track my food and exercise. I've been eating at 1200-1300 cals for over a year and exercising 4-6 days a week (more since the car died and I've had to walk everywhere.)

I remember that those first 4 months that I lost so much weight, I had been on another site that stated my daily calories should be around 1500. I was eating like that and losing. I tried to fix what wasn't broken and now I want to try this method again. I've gained 2 lbs for the first week of this and that scares me too. But, I'm on the verge of quitting anyways and if I can gain weight knowing I"m eventually going to lose all of it, then at least I have a good reason for gaining!! lol.

I'll give it a try, but it IS scary to know that I have to go backwards before going forward again.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Ok. I reset my calories to TDEE less 15 percent. Do I eat my exercise calories on workout days or not? Thanks.

You will only start eating back if you net less than bmr.

Ex. Bmr 1400
    Tdee 1800
    Cals burned 700
    You would only need to eat 300 extra cals that day...so basically anything over 400 cals burned you would eat the excess.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi there. I"m Laura, 49 from British Columbia Canada. I've been on MFP now for over a year and a half. Two years ago I was 195 and had been diagnosed with Hypertension, which scared the beejeebers out of me. I joined a gym, lost 15 lbs in 3 months and then joined MFP and haven't lost very much since!!

Sucker for punishment maybe? I dunno. I like that I can track my food and exercise. I've been eating at 1200-1300 cals for over a year and exercising 4-6 days a week (more since the car died and I've had to walk everywhere.)

I remember that those first 4 months that I lost so much weight, I had been on another site that stated my daily calories should be around 1500. I was eating like that and losing. I tried to fix what wasn't broken and now I want to try this method again. I've gained 2 lbs for the first week of this and that scares me too. But, I'm on the verge of quitting anyways and if I can gain weight knowing I"m eventually going to lose all of it, then at least I have a good reason for gaining!! lol.

I'll give it a try, but it IS scary to know that I have to go backwards before going forward again.

Make sure to readthe topic what to expect when upping cals....glad you are giving this a go.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    HI my name is Keri. I am 59 and have been on MFP for 1 and a half years. When I started I needed to lose over 100 pounds. I have lost 30+ pounds but have had a deficit that should have allowed my to lose all the weight I set out to lose. Others who started with me did much better. I think one difference was that I had already started to exercise before I got on here. I think the 1500+ calories to lose a pound a week was too low. Of course I thought it might be too high. I have been eating between 1540 to 1340 calories. As others have said when I went lower I had to exercise so I could eat enough. I logged religiously and exercised more than most my size and age. Everytime I upped exercise I would stall??? I hit a big plateau this summer when I was really trying to lose and exercising more. I did the C25K program and was sure I would lose. When I lowere to 1340 this fall yes I started losing but then I popped back up again and again this winter really worked hard to get it down and stalled out again. I am exhausted at trying so hard and getting no where. I was lowering my calories once a gain to 1340 in order to get out of the plateau but at this time started to read more about eating more to lose. Everything seemed to accord whith my experience. I think I may have lost that week but my scale ran out of battery power and by the time I got it going I was back up again. That was it. I decided to raise my calories. First to 1600, then 1700 and it is now at 1900. I have seen various methods since then to calculate my BMR, TDEE etc and will look into the ones here. I feel like after a year and a half I first want to get to maintenance and reset my metabolism before deciding on the right calories to lose.
    Weight 229 - 230
    Height 5'6"
    BMR is between 1686 to 1739 depending on the calculator
    TDEE according to the calculator on the first post would be 2,868 on a day that I do my typical 1 hour of exercise.

I work out 5-6 days for an hour to an hour and a half on weight training days. I do a combination of walking, running, aquafit, weight training and a few cardio machines. I love Zumba but with running and weight training don't have the time. I have lost alot of inches particularly when not losing weight. I am finding that with upping my calories after having them set low I am not adding junk but some of those higher calorie healthy foods I wasn't really realizing I was skipping out on. I am not seeing the highs in weight that I was nor the lows and am not gaining and losing the same 4-5 pounds. I am probably maintaining and evening out. It is hard to find your maintenance calories when you have been stalling out and yoyoing. The thing is that I didn't want to lose fast. I wanted to lose slow and healthily. I never went down to 1200 and frankly couldn't do it if I tried. I ate some or all my calories back. I have started to get a few friends that eat more calories but many eat lower and I would like to have support from others that are trying to eat in a healthier range.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    HI Everyone,

Im Jess, Im from Toronto Canada.

I used that great BMR/TDEE calculator the first poster did.

My calculated Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR) is 1722 and my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) 2472 (MFP Calculates my BMR at 1619. So i guess i'll try to aim for a happy medium between the two. Its hard to know whats accurate because I don't do the same amount of exercise every day, some days none. But this week my total minutes counted on MFP was 605 minutes and 4089 cals burned.

Im training for 10k so i usually do a 10K run every sunday morning, a Zumba class once a week, a body sculpt and abs class, and then some Jilliam Michaels Ripped in 30 at home when i have the time.

Age 30
    Height 5ft 7 in
    SW 197 lbs
    CW 191 lbs
    GW 160 lbs or less

I was on 1200 cals MFP recommended for about a month here. And after reading all about this, it seemed like it made sense. so i am slowly upping my calorie intake. now I'm at 1400 Net Cals.i'll keep working up to at least my BMR. I always eat back my exercise calories.

Pleased to meet you all! :)
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    Hey there, i am new to this group. I have been eating about 12-1400 cals a day for the past 3 weeks and have lost 12 pounds. This week I am uping my cals to 1600 because I usually burn about 1000 calories a day from excersise. So here's to adding more food! yay! I'm hoping I get better results!
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am so happy to have found this group and I am hoping that by following the TDEE I can get my weight loss moving again. I have been on MFP since Nov 2011, but just started really working on my new lifestyle on February 21, 2012. I am a full time college student and stay at home Mom of 4 and I put on my weight by getting so busy that I just forgot to eat and killed my metabolism.

I am hoping by joining this group and working on my calorie intake that I will be able to get my weight loss going again because it has been stalled for the last two weeks. I am currently doing Jillian's Body Revolution (just started phase 2 this week) and I have alarms set in my phone to remind me to eat so I am hoping that by joining this group and upping my calories I can get out of starvation mode.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Marcene and I'm 43 years old. I started using MFP about 3 months ago at 1200. About a week and a half ago after reading alot of information I decided that was waaaaay to low. I didn't want to spend my life at those calories. So I read some more and have gradually started increasing my calories. First week I lost 2 pounds, I realize I can't expect this each week and I might gain at some point. But I'm focused on my life ahead, not just the next few months.
    I found this group just today and I look forward to learning from it.
  • mightyafrodyte
    mightyafrodyte Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone

Hi I'm Kim. I was referred to this group by another MPF'er who was discussing her success with eating more. So I decided to check out the group. After doing a little research about the principal of eating more, it just made since.

I've been a member here since December, but I got serious about a month ago.

Height: 5'5.5"
    Starting weight: 273
    Current weight: 271
    Goal weight: 155
    TDEE: 2734
    RMR: 1971
    BMR: 1988

I love new friends... so add me if you wish.
    Edited to include stats.
  • mrscooks1
    mrscooks1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is Charlene and I have been on and off of MFP for maybe a year. I just seriously starting working out on March 19th. Finally understand how to eat as of yesterday thanks to the Eat More to Weigh Less group and Helloitsdan. Here are my stats and I look forward to finally losing the fat.

Height: 5'6"
    Starting weight: 208
    Goal weight: 150
    TDEE: 2712
    BMR: 1593

Eating 2260 calories daily as of yesterday!!
  • Sinope82
    Sinope82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

I'm Sarah, i'm 30 and live in the uk. I've spent most of my life on some sort of diet and this time i decided to try and get it right. So no more dieting for me just lifestyle changes that lead to a healthy, happy and sustainable me. I've done well so far and i've slowly been upping my calories but im really starting to struggle as the weight has stopped coming off. Hence here i am (o; i'm hoping that joining will give me the support and motivation i need to finally do this the right way x
  • sandyrrt
    sandyrrt Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hello. My name is Sandy. I am a 50 yo wife/mother (empty nester), recently retired to help care for MIL who moved in with us about a year ago. I was very athletic in high school and in to my mid 20's. But with work, etc wasn't that active anymore. Gradually gained weight. Lost, gained, lost gained...well, you get the picture. I have been on MFP since 1/2/2012 and have lost 17 lbs. so far. I have stalled for about 2 weeks and have been researching the why's of it. I had read another post about upping calorie consumption, then came across this group, so the Lord must be pointing me in the right direction!
    Stats 5' 7"
    SW: 204
    CW: 186
    GW: 150

Thanks, Lucia for starting this group!
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name is Mandy, and I've been a member of the "Eat less!" mindset for a very long time.

I posted a thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/546871-dropping-the-eat-less-mentality
    explaining my current situation - it's kind of long, and nobody wanted to answer, but I wanted to provide as much info as I could.

According to the links provided on the home page my numbers would be this (I am 28, 5'9, and 270 pounds)

RMR = 2016
    TDEE = 2772 (or 3126 if I pick moderate, I'm in the middle and not sure which to use)
    Cut # = 2356 (or 2657)

I am just wondering if the fact that I have such a high body fat percentage comes into play with these numbers.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name is Mandy, and I've been a member of the "Eat less!" mindset for a very long time.

I posted a thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/546871-dropping-the-eat-less-mentality
    explaining my current situation - it's kind of long, and nobody wanted to answer, but I wanted to provide as much info as I could.

According to the links provided on the home page my numbers would be this (I am 28, 5'9, and 270 pounds)

RMR = 2016
    TDEE = 2772 (or 3126 if I pick moderate, I'm in the middle and not sure which to use)
    Cut # = 2356 (or 2657)

I am just wondering if the fact that I have such a high body fat percentage comes into play with these numbers.

Hi Mandy!

Yes a higher bf% can in some instances alter the equation. This is because in some rare cases, under medical supervision, an extremely obese person an be put on a deficit of 1000 cals (max), in order to jump start the process. This typically is the case when obese patients have developed insulin sensitivity, & are typically unable to exercise as well. Though there are some professionals that jump the gun and go straight to "max" #'s, I don't necessarily recommend it. For one, as you've seen for yourself, those results can be very temporary, and I prefer using methods that can be kept up long term. Also, the longer that you will be in a deficit, the longer time your metabolism will have to adjust to lower cals, thus slowing down. Since you are capable and working out regularly, I don't feel those drastic measures should be taken.

That being said, I would not recommend going below 2000 cals. Your body has taken quite a beating, but with the major burns you're putting up, I still believe that you should fuel your body properly. So your activity level, should be moderate, & your #s calculated from there. Numbers are not written in stone and can always be adjusted later, but I believe in starting higher and adjusting down as needed. Especially when coming out of an under-eating phase, as the re-feed is typically much needed. ;)

Kiki
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response Kiki.

I have a follow up question.

If I use the moderate number of 2657 (I've currently got it set to 2356), that kind of makes my eyes bulge. After a year of mostly aiming for a goal of 1800 or less that just makes my conditioning scream YOU CAN'T EAT THAT, THAT'S WHY YOU'RE FAT!

I am willing to accept the science behind it, but it's hard to break the the cycle of "eat less!" that's constantly thrown in my face. Any ideas of how to get through the psychological block that tells me I can't eat that much and still lose weight?
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Hi everyone!

RMR = 2016
    Cut # = 2356 (or 2657)

Hi Mandy!

Yes a higher bf% can in some instances alter the equation. This is because in some rare cases, under medical supervision, an extremely obese person an be put on a deficit of 1000 cals (max), in order to jump start the process. This typically is the case when obese patients have developed insulin sensitivity, & are typically unable to exercise as well. Though there are some professionals that jump the gun and go straight to "max" #'s, I don't necessarily recommend it. For one, as you've seen for yourself, those results can be very temporary, and I prefer using methods that can be kept up long term. Also, the longer that you will be in a deficit, the longer time your metabolism will have to adjust to lower cals, thus slowing down. Since you are capable and working out regularly, I don't feel those drastic measures should be taken.

That being said, I would not recommend going below 2000 cals. Your body has taken quite a beating, but with the major burns you're putting up, I still believe that you should fuel your body properly. So your activity level, should be moderate, & your #s calculated from there. Numbers are not written in stone and can always be adjusted later, but I believe in starting higher and adjusting down as needed. Especially when coming out of an under-eating phase, as the re-feed is typically much needed. ;)

Kiki

I'm jumping in here to say- thanks Kiki for believing in us bigger folks and not starving us :) Thank you.

Hi Mandy! We are close to the same stats- I'm 33, 5'6.5 ;) and 260, started at 270. I tried the super low cal before too- and it came off alright! Tons of pats and 'well dones' but no one was there when it all came back.. like it always does. then I had doctors tell me to starve myself, other people told me I was fat as a punishment from God. *eye roll* I know God and he likes me to feed his child :)

My TDEE averages around 3000 cals and I use them! I eat 2500 every day, even on rest days, to let my body know I won't starve it anymore. It's like taming a wild colt .. or well.. I imagine it to be like that anyway!

Shoot me a friend request if you'd like- then you can take a look at my diary. I'd be happy to share my progress with you :)
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Thank you for your response Kiki.

I have a follow up question.

If I use the moderate number of 2657 (I've currently got it set to 2356), that kind of makes my eyes bulge. After a year of mostly aiming for a goal of 1800 or less that just makes my conditioning scream YOU CAN'T EAT THAT, THAT'S WHY YOU'RE FAT!

I am willing to accept the science behind it, but it's hard to break the the cycle of "eat less!" that's constantly thrown in my face. Any ideas of how to get through the psychological block that tells me I can't eat that much and still lose weight?

Hi Mandy,

It so wonderful to have you here. I know what you mean...it goes against everything we have learned, what the media says, some drs, etc. But I will tell you it is the reason why so many are overweight. Yes initially it happens by overeating, but then we try to lose the weight crash dieting and it resets our metabolism lower, the low cals can't be maintaned then you gain at a lower cal intake then before. Numerous times through the cycle has you gaining at the mere inhalation of food (exaggeration but you get the jist).

Unless you reset the metabolism and let your precious body know it will get fuel consistently that vicious cycle continues. We are of the hurry up an do everything now mindset, when we mistreat our bodies it takes time to allow it to heal and reset, just as it took time to put on the weight.

This isn't to drop it quick scenario, but it is maintainable life long. I would suggest starting off with that 2300...with good dietary choices. Macros 40/30/30.