Today im a nerd because...

Options

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Went to Six Flags yesterday. Bought a Green Lantern cape for my friend and I. We ran around and posed with them like kids even though we're both mid 20's. It was awesome.

Then I spent way too much money on cool things they have in the gift shops.

Also, the GL ride is AWESOME.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I started integrated playing Ingress into my running.

I have sooo many questions about how this is affecting your running, but I'll just say... very cool!

As in there comes a time where I actually have to stop? Yeah, that is the downfall. But it is typically a very quick stop.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Nah, more like; does it lower the overall intensity of your workout due to tracking directions/planning; even if it does, are you staying out longer because it's more fun (that's how I am with walking since I switched from music to audiobooks); do you ever feel like you're at a greater risk of falling/colliding with someone/thing; is it visual only or do you wear earbuds while playing?

I don't game At All, but this looks like it could be a cool one to maybe try it out with.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I was working at a different site today, and chatting to my new co-workers, when one of them said "if we had a geek-o-meter, it would constantly be over 100 since you walked in". I'll take that as a compliment...
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    My kids spent the weekend trying to Exterminate and Delete each other and had a huge fight over wether the daleks or Cybermen would win a war..Then they saw the episode with the daleks and cypermen and there was alot of HA I told you........

Also I know need to find a Dalek costume for my daughter and a Cybermen costume for my son for Halloween.....
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I love that scene - one of my favorites and makes me laugh every single time. "You are better at one thing... you are better at dying!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysvNOmDMVvk
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I was kind of surprised that the fight was so one sided. I thought that with millions of cybermen and only four daleks that the daleks would have had to employ gorilla tactics or something but no. The episode actually gives us every impression that just one dalek could have wiped out every single cyberman without even breaking a sweat and since the cybermen possess no creativity which is a side effect of eliminating all other human emotions. The cybermen would have no possibility of overcoming the daleks regardless of the number advantage they might have. They would sent wave after wave of fearless cybermen to their deaths without a second thought.

In my opinion the cybermen really took a major dive as a villain. They used to be the stuff of nightmares but over time they have just gotten more and more lame until they were eventually defeated by a father's love. Honestly that is the point where I just complete wrote them off all together because obviously the writers have.

*Side note: My daughter has finally decided to start watching Doctor Who. I was very happy to see that she is enjoying it as well. She saw the two parter where the cyberman show up for the first time in the new episodes and she actually said.

"I would rather die then become a cyberman because if they took away everything that makes me who I am then they are basically killing me anyways."

I could not put in to words just how proud I was when she said that sentence. She is only 11 years old. I feel that is such a mature train of thought for someone of her age.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I was kind of surprised that the fight was so one sided. I thought that with millions of cybermen and only four daleks that the daleks would have had to employ gorilla tactics or something but no. The episode actually gives us every impression that just one dalek could have wiped out every single cyberman without even breaking a sweat and since the cybermen possess no creativity which is a side effect of eliminating all other human emotions. The cybermen would have no possibility of overcoming the daleks regardless of the number advantage they might have. They would sent wave after wave of fearless cybermen to their deaths without a second thought.

In my opinion the cybermen really took a major dive as a villain. They used to be the stuff of nightmares but over time they have just gotten more and more lame until they were eventually defeated by a father's love. Honestly that is the point where I just complete wrote them off all together because obviously the writers have.

*Side note: My daughter has finally decided to start watching Doctor Who. I was very happy to see that she is enjoying it as well. She saw the two parter where the cyberman show up for the first time in the new episodes and she actually said.

"I would rather die then become a cyberman because if they took away everything that makes me who I am then they are basically killing me anyways."

I could not put in to words just how proud I was when she said that sentence. She is only 11 years old. I feel that is such a mature train of thought for someone of her age.

Mine are 9 and 7.. The 7 yr old boy likes the cybermen and the girl likes the Daleks...... When the fight over who was superior was over and they stopped trying to delete and exterminate each other I caught them woking on a Dalek /cybermen hybrid game......

Now where do I find cybermen and Dalek costumes in the US
  • southpaw211
    Options
    Mine are 6 and 8, both girls. Their biggest fight mostly revolve around who is the best Doctor (they fight over Tennant and Smith). There is a page on FB called "The Whovian Family". Her little girls have great Dalek costumes that she made - I love them. Might give you some ideas!

I bought my girls peasant dresses for our local Ren Fest from Esty - they have a felt TARDIS embroidered near the bottom with a TARDIS-blue ribbon bow. Very cute!
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I don't know but if you figure it out let me know.
  • southpaw211
    Options

This is why I love watching DW with our kids. We can actually discuss the complexities of the episode, and why the companion/Doctor did what they did, and for the most part, the themes are fairly easy for them to grasp. I would go for a DW marathon any day over the mindless stuff on Cartoon Network - I can't stand that crap. We were going through pictures on my 8 year old's iPod the other night when backing it up and found a video that she had made - basically a song she made up on the fly about Doctor Donna losing her memory and something about how her head would explode if she remembered the Doctor. It was like 10 minutes long. And very sad!
  • soldier4242
    Options
    You simply have to post that video to youtube and send me a link to it. I love the creativity that Doctor Who seems to inspire in people especially children.
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Bought a sweet doctor who shirt today :) I've been a whovian for a while but haven't ever been able to get any merchandise until now.
  • RedRita32
    RedRita32 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking my tea out of my star trek mug while wearing my Uhura t-shirt..:)
  • southpaw211
    Options
    Bought a sweet doctor who shirt today :) I've been a whovian for a while but haven't ever been able to get any merchandise until now.

Ooh, what's it look like? Mine is a TARDIS/Nyan Cat mashup, hubby has one that is a DW/Bioshock mashup. I've been eyeing one on ThinkGeek that is blue with a white TARDIS in the lower corner with the "something blue" line. I'm finicky about t-shirts - they have to be some kind of feminine or v-neck cut or I feel really awkward in them.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I've been browsing cross-over shirts for a late Father's Day present for my husband. <3
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    https://www.riptapparel.com/graveyard/time-lord-episode-iv/

Now I just need to order that sonic screwdriver to get me motivated to start my fem 11 cosplay...
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    On my way home from work this morning, I listened to my "Geek" playlist. It includes the themes from Dr. Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, some LOTR soundtrack, and a little Weird Al thrown in.

Also, I went for a run. The *only* reason I've started running is so I can sign up for the Dr. Who 50th Anniversary virtual run and get that cool Tardis medal.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    TODAY ONLY, for those of you with kids:

http://kids.woot.com/

TODAY'S WOOT
    Star Trek Mr Potato Head 2 Packs-Your Choice!
    $12.99 $34.99 63% off List Price

c60f2ebd-938d-4b56-a772-93e994480341.jpg
  • poe510
    poe510 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Today like everyday I listen to MST3K at work. It's a great stress reliever and good friend.