Weigh-in/Measurement updates

Options

Replies

• Shannonsto
    Shannonsto Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I was glad to see this thread, because I'm needing a little encouragement right now. I've been on Weight Watchers since January, and I did really well at first, losing quickly. But then I stalled out. So I added workouts. Nope, no dice. One day, for kicks and giggles, after I'd used all 30 of my points and was still hungry, I added up the calories I'd eaten that day. 1160! Bah! No wonder it wasn't working anymore.

I started on EMTWL April 29. I upped my cals to about 1600 (rough estimate of my BMR.) After two weeks, here's my progress:

Weight: up 2.2 lbs :angry:
    Upper arm: down 0.25 in:smile:
    Bust: down 0.5 in :smile:
    Waist: down 1.5 in :happy:
    Hips: down 1 in :happy:
    Thighs: down 0.25 in :smile:

So, while I gained weight, all of my measurements improved. I'm not sure how that's possible, but there you have it. I know that the measurements prove I'm making progress, but I have a lot of weight to lose, and it's very disconcerting to see the number on the scale increase. After briefly considering returning to 1200cal, I decided instead to increase again to 1900-2000, which is the projected TDEE for my goal weight. Fingers crossed.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    If you are retaining water, your measurments can go down but the scale won't reflect a difference.

I know what your saying about the weight coming off though. It's slow moving for me and I have about 40 to lose, but it will come off eventually.
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was glad to see this thread, because I'm needing a little encouragement right now. I've been on Weight Watchers since January, and I did really well at first, losing quickly. But then I stalled out. So I added workouts. Nope, no dice. One day, for kicks and giggles, after I'd used all 30 of my points and was still hungry, I added up the calories I'd eaten that day. 1160! Bah! No wonder it wasn't working anymore.

I started on EMTWL April 29. I upped my cals to about 1600 (rough estimate of my BMR.) After two weeks, here's my progress:

Weight: up 2.2 lbs :angry:
    Upper arm: down 0.25 in:smile:
    Bust: down 0.5 in :smile:
    Waist: down 1.5 in :happy:
    Hips: down 1 in :happy:
    Thighs: down 0.25 in :smile:

So, while I gained weight, all of my measurements improved. I'm not sure how that's possible, but there you have it. I know that the measurements prove I'm making progress, but I have a lot of weight to lose, and it's very disconcerting to see the number on the scale increase. After briefly considering returning to 1200cal, I decided instead to increase again to 1900-2000, which is the projected TDEE for my goal weight. Fingers crossed.

Hey, you are doing awesome! Inches lost means so much more! I've been eating more since mid April. I've gone down a pant size and lost over 10 inches but the scale has not budged- well it budges up and down w/in the same few pounds. Keep at it, it will pay off!
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Today is 60 days that I started lifting and eating more here are my measurements so far.

Day 1/day 30/day60

Waist (at navel) - 33.75/ 31/ 29.25 ( -4.5 inches)
    Waist (below navel - 33.5/ 31.75 (forgot to measure the first day but -2.75 inches in 30 days)
    Hips - 39.5/39.25/38.75 (-.75 inch) I am actually happy about this didn't want to lose my legs or butt
    Abductors - 37/36.75/37.25 ( +.25)
    Chest 36/ 35.5/ 35 (-1inch) :sad:
    weight 127/128/129

If I can ever figure out how to get side by side pics I will post pics.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Today is 60 days that I started lifting and eating more here are my measurements so far.

Day 1/day 30/day60

Waist (at navel) - 33.75/ 31/ 29.25 ( -4.5 inches)
    Waist (below navel - 33.5/ 31.75 (forgot to measure the first day but -2.75 inches in 30 days)
    Hips - 39.5/39.25/38.75 (-.75 inch) I am actually happy about this didn't want to lose my legs or butt
    Abductors - 37/36.75/37.25 ( +.25)
    Chest 36/ 35.5/ 35 (-1inch) :sad:
    weight 127/128/129

If I can ever figure out how to get side by side pics I will post pics.

Sweet, can't wait to see pics. You may want to just go ahead and post individual pics if you are trying to use photobucket...OMGoodness they changed the editor and it literally does take a PhD to figure the thing out. I wasted precious time I just don't have. If you find an ease way, PLEASE let me know:-)
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I've been working on upping cals for a few weeks. I have an ongoing struggle with my thyroid and diabetes.. I've recently (since March) found zumba, and it has been a real motivator to move. I also enjoy Cardio Boxing, and have resistance bands to take with me on travel. I want to get into lifting, but am taking one step at a time. I've goal set my calories to about 1977 (TDEE -cut). BMR is at 1700, per scooby. I wear a fitbit, and let it transfer the cardio info to mfp rather than entering it myself.

So, this last week i had a gain of 4-5 lbs, as i was really making a concerted effort to eat more. I'm ok with the gain.
    Last week i started taking measurements (wish i had started that in March).

Here is my NSV, and stats for the last week (in inches):

Neck: no change
    Forearm: - .3
    Bicep: - 2
    Bust: - .5
    Waist: - 2
    Hips: - .5
    Thigh: - .5
    Calf: No change @ 16

5.8 inches over all. I can't even tell you how happy i am today :)
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've been working on upping cals for a few weeks. I have an ongoing struggle with my thyroid and diabetes.. I've recently (since March) found zumba, and it has been a real motivator to move. I also enjoy Cardio Boxing, and have resistance bands to take with me on travel. I want to get into lifting, but am taking one step at a time. I've goal set my calories to about 1977 (TDEE -cut). BMR is at 1700, per scooby. I wear a fitbit, and let it transfer the cardio info to mfp rather than entering it myself.

So, this last week i had a gain of 4-5 lbs, as i was really making a concerted effort to eat more. I'm ok with the gain.

All I can say is "AWESOME!!!!" :drinker:
  • nill4me
    Options

All I can say is "AWESOME!!!!" :drinker:

Thanks so much. The proverbial icing was putting on a pair of jeans yesterday i had not worn in about 3 years. sweet.
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    Hi! Just joined the group today. I began on MFP last June and lost about 30 lbs since. I started at 1200 cals, increased to 1350 & was most recently at 1500 cals. I increased my intake without knowing any of the science behind it, it just felt right due to my increase in activity.

But then I seriously plateaued. I have gained & lost the same 5 lbs for months it seems. I gave up entirely in the winter months, mostly due to the scale just not budging...I figured what's the point anyway. Bur after feeling icky and pudgy in the middle, I decided I just coudn't quit. That's when I started working out again, pretty intensely for what I'm used to anyway. My scale was acting crazy but I was still not losing consistently. And I was hungry, a lot.

Deep down, I knew I had to increase cals again. But I couldn't conceive of increasing my calories beyond 1500 and still lose...until I came across a thread on the message boards from one of the EMTWL members and had my "AHA!" moment. That was about 3-4 DAYS ago (yes, just DAYS) and I've increased my cals ever since. It just made sense. I also started Insanity on the same day I increased cals (which is something stressed in the Insanity diet plan too).

I have already seen a gain of about 7 lbs, which would be crazy IF I was only going by my scale. Buuut...my clothes fit fabulously and I feel great! It just reaffirmed that regardless of what the scale says, how my clothes fit and how I feel are much more accurate indicators of the progress I am making.

Caveat: It may be more trying (mentally) in 3-4 weeks if I do not see a loss...but I'm hoping that with the support of this group I can keep my focus on what's important. :wink:

BMR: 1521 TDEE: 1927
    Daily Calorie Goal: 1638
  • saral8981
    saral8981 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've completed my first 2 weeks of eating more on Sunday. I'm really pleased with the results. I have added over 1000 calories to my daily diet. I also cut back heavily on my cardio. I would estimate that my weekly net calories went up by around 8300 calories. Here is the results:

Weight: 267.4 This was my original weight I started at 2 weeks ago. It went up to 268.8 but then dropped back this week.
    Waist: 47 inches. A loss of 2.5 inches.
    Neck: 17.1 inches. A loss of 0.4 inches.
    Hips: 44.2 inches. A loss of 1.8 inches.
    Body Fat: 33.4% A loss of 2.5%.

So no scale change but a huge change in bf%. I traded almost 7lbs of fat for equivalent LBM. I'll take it.
  • nill4me
    Options
    I've completed my first 2 weeks of eating more on Sunday. I'm really pleased with the results. I have added over 1000 calories to my daily diet. I also cut back heavily on my cardio. I would estimate that my weekly net calories went up by around 8300 calories. Here is the results:

Weight: 267.4 This was my original weight I started at 2 weeks ago. It went up to 268.8 but then dropped back this week.
    Waist: 47 inches. A loss of 2.5 inches.
    Neck: 17.1 inches. A loss of 0.4 inches.
    Hips: 44.2 inches. A loss of 1.8 inches.
    Body Fat: 33.4% A loss of 2.5%.

So no scale change but a huge change in bf%. I traded almost 7lbs of fat for equivalent LBM. I'll take it.

I'd say that is a pretty darn good trade! Awesome.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Well I can't just post when the news is good. I have been trying to figure out what is going on. I am on the 3rd week of cut of 15% and I am starting to gain after initially losing.
    3/26/12: SW: 232
    4/7/12: 230.2 2200 calories (assumed maintenance with eating back exercise calories)
    4/18/12: 229 2200 calories
    4/23/12: 229 (cut by 15% from assumed maintenance calories - 1870 with eating back exercise calories)
    4/30/12: 228.8 (I have been dealing with a knee injury and went on a small trip so I will be slowly upping my exercise this week)
    5/7/12: 228 Still having some knee pain so I won't include inches until I have been able to increase my exercise. I have started to slowly start to exercise but am limited right now.
    5/22/12: 232 I use a spread sheet to record my daily weight, calories in and burned and net calories and weekly deficits, etc. The week I lost I wasn't eating all my calorie goal. I was exercising regularly. In the past two weeks I have been better at eating all my calories and exercise calories. I think you can gain a bit when you up your exericise but it has been 3 weeks. I think it is because I am eating more calories and maybe over estimating calories burned. I am unemployed and recently my benefits have ended so I won't be getting an HRM anytime soon. So I am going to try eating 1800 calories and not eating back all of my calories but a good amount of them. The week I lost I averaged 1766 net calories.I will give this 2-3 weeks. Even with what I was eating it was below the net 2200 when I was maintaining or even losing. So it is a bit confounding. However I couldn't exercise much until the last 3 weeks.

I did measure this week and have lost a half inch from my waist and a half inch from my braline (below my bustline) so the exercise is starting to help.

Feel free to offer any suggestions because if this doesn't work I will be making another adjustment in a few weeks.
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday!

I have been apart of this group for a few weeks now but never upped my calories (typical being scared). And last week I started lifting heavy (woohoo!) I love it BTW! I have felt more drained and tired since I started lifting and only taking in 1200-1500 calories.

So today I am making the change! I just upped my calories to 1900 (making sure to net over my BMR of 1548). I am very nervous to say the least. Just scared to gain weight of that Im doing this wrong (since MFP says I wont lose any weight eating this many calories).

BMR = 1548
    TDEE = 2399
    TDEE - 15% = 2039
    TDEE - 20% = 1919

** Side Question: If I have to NET over my BMR wont that put me over my 1900 calories?
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday!

I have been apart of this group for a few weeks now but never upped my calories (typical being scared). And last week I started lifting heavy (woohoo!) I love it BTW! I have felt more drained and tired since I started lifting and only taking in 1200-1500 calories.

So today I am making the change! I just upped my calories to 1900 (making sure to net over my BMR of 1548). I am very nervous to say the least. Just scared to gain weight of that Im doing this wrong (since MFP says I wont lose any weight eating this many calories).

BMR = 1548
    TDEE = 2399
    TDEE - 15% = 2039
    TDEE - 20% = 1919

** Side Question: If I have to NET over my BMR wont that put me over my 1900 calories?

You don't eat back your exercise calories, they are already factored in. Now if you exercise like crazy then you need to eat more to get to your BMR.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Well, it's been 19 days since I last gave an update. I'm feeling pretty discouraged and ready to throw in the towel :frown: but on reflection I think perhaps I really haven't been consistent enough with *anything*. On the whole I've been pleased with my efforts this year (major changes...regular exercise, counting cals, upping my protein, trying to make better choices about portion sizes) but every now and again I can't help feeling that I'm just not making the progress that I see alot of you guys making, so I must be doing something wrong.

I really, really would appreciate some constructive criticism and comments on why I don't seem to be getting much in the way of results (or maybe I'm just expecting too much now that I'm over 40 and my progress is as it should be?)

Here's some background info and also some stats that I've been keeping track of both here on MFP and on a spreadsheet.
    Age 43, 5 ft 7, TDEE for a moderately active me, minus 15%, is around 2180

My workouts consist of up to 3 days at the gym doing circuit training on the cross trainer and with dumbells (up to 11 pounds in each hand) and body weight (squats, lunges, planks) for an hour. Lately I've cut back a bit on exercise hours due to work commitments and a cold/flu which has left me a bit drained. If I don't make it to the gym I'm doing some Turbofire or other DVD workouts a couple of times a week and some gardening at the weekends. Other than that I'm pretty sedentary as I am a tutor. There are a couple of big gaps on my exercise report, the latest being when I felt too ill to exercise and the one in April was when I went to Spain. There are gaps in my records of calories consumed for these periods but on the whole I ate reasonably sensibly.

Anyway, here's the stats, please feel free to offer advice, I just feel like it's me against my body at the moment and it's a lonely struggle!
    measurements.jpg

weight.jpg

cals.jpg
    Quite a few peaks there, a bit too high. PMT cravings and generally feeling tired and in need of a boost -> eating too much.

calsburned.jpg

netcals.jpg
    Since following EMTWL I've made sure I net above my BMR of approx 1650. I've always loved my food so I never really have a problem eating up to my TDEE.

The only other thing perhaps affecting my progress could be my water intake. Most days it's at 4-6 cups with a few cups of decaff coffee and the odd soda (only lately, mother in law bought me some!). My food diaries are open too.

What do you think? Be totally honest. I think I know the answer, not enough focus, maybe I'm confusing the hell out of my body by not sticking closely to numbers and routines, but I need to hear it from others with experience.

Edit: some of the data has disappeared on the right of the images, I can see it by right clicking and selecting view image.
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    So the scale is starting to trend back down after an increase from 181 (my plateau) to 184 (after a few weeks of EM2WL) After 8 weeks of EM2WL I'm at 182

AND....

I have lost 2" off my waist which gives me a 2% reduction in body fat according to the military calculator!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I went up about 2 lbs for the last 5 days but I am also back down and then some. I'm at my lowest weight since starting MFP in January.

Total loss so far in just over 3 week = 3.7 lbs

Down 1 inch in my chest, 1/2 inch in my thighs and 1/2 inch in my waist.

Oh and my arms look a lot smaller but I have a hard time measuring them.
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I upped my 4 weeks ago to 1900 workout days & 1700 or so on nonworkout days. I fluctuate 3 lbs, and gained 1 " on waist.
    I got advise from a friend who is a personal trainer & she advised I should switch my cardio up instead of keeping at same pace. When running, Im going to interval with sprints and jogs. Im going to keep 1900 max on workout days & about 1700 on nonworkout days.
    I will reassess in 3-4 weeks.
    Wish me luck!
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Start date 30th april 2012
    old cals 1500 netting 1100-1200
    new cals for workout and nonworkout days - 2150 or net at least bmr of 1670

one month later lost my first pound. yay its begun

I upped to my cut value and at first was a struggle to eat so much but i swapped my light options for regular ones. Had protein powder after my workouts some days and made homemade protein balls to get in some extra protein. Tempting to get those extra cals with junk food but i find i don't really want it now and so go for fruit usually. But of course i don't limit myself if i feel like a treat ... I just have some restraint now!

i eat every 2-3 hours and am hungry every time. I do 30 day shred x3 week and elliptical/cross trainer x2 week.

I recently ran a 5km and got my best time ever ... managed to shave off 10 mins off my previous time.

I was also very consistent with hitting my cut value every single day so my body and i now know when to expect its next meal and trusts me to fuel it properly.

thank you Lucia and kiki