Intro

Options

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Hello. This is Allan. I'm 47, live with my girl friend, and have a 20 year old in college. I have a desk job and travel (domestic and international) a lot.

I joined MFP about 18 months ago and lost 30lbs (had about 20 more to go) and then got off track. I'm back to where I started. Restarting now. Summer time, fall tailgating and of course the holidays are when I tend to pack on the pounds. I'm hoping that starting later will keep me going through the full year instead of the yoyo I've been doing.

Current fitness goals:
    1) Lose 5lbs per month through the rest of the year (target 190lbs by my 48th birthday in February).
    2) Run both the Warrior Dash (April 20th) and Tough Mudder (in the fall) with my daughter this year.
    3) Earn the NASM CPT by the end of the year.

Thanks for having a group like this! Hope to be a regular contributor (and maybe the Offensive Line Coach).
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Hello. This is Allan. I'm 47, live with my girl friend, and have a 20 year old in college. I have a desk job and travel (domestic and international) a lot.

I joined MFP about 18 months ago and lost 30lbs (had about 20 more to go) and then got off track. I'm back to where I started. Restarting now. Summer time, fall tailgating and of course the holidays are when I tend to pack on the pounds. I'm hoping that starting later will keep me going through the full year instead of the yoyo I've been doing.

Current fitness goals:
    1) Lose 5lbs per month through the rest of the year (target 190lbs by my 48th birthday in February).
    2) Run both the Warrior Dash (April 20th) and Tough Mudder (in the fall) with my daughter this year.

Thanks for having a group like this! Hope to be a regular contributor (and maybe the Offensive Line Coach).

Welcome Allan, pull up a stool, we always have room for people who can protect our blindside.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

Current fitness goals:

Welcome to the Order! Sticking with it and you got it, no matter what stay with us even when the bad days hit we got you this time around.
  • BL_Mark
    BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hey Gents,

Mark, 32 (middle-aged?) working professional for 13 years, happily married for 6 1/2, two kiddos aged 2 & 4 and since February I've lost 52 pounds. One dark and stormy night (actually, it was morning and probably had snow on the ground) I got on the scale for the first time since high school and tipped the scale at 350lbs. Devastated, to say the least. I started using MFP in January but didn't purchase the scale until February out of fear. I sit behind a desk for 50+ hours/week and before learning how to lose weight, I probably consumed nearly 4,000 calories per day without a minute of exercise, wondering, "why am I so fat?!" I have a great support system at home and at work. My co-worker Marty is in his mid-40's and he's lost over 30lbs... we've been each other motivators. We'll place bets on what time we think our sales girl is going to come in or whether or not she'll call off. There's never any money involved, we usually wager with calories. "I'll bet a 2,000 calorie lunch, she calls off Friday...." Of course we never actually follow through, but it's just fun to get the other guy to squirm a little bit. Anyway, Railr0adertom invited me on Friday and I just now got the chance to see the craziness that has been going on here. Thanks for the invite and I'll be sticking around!!
  • kobrien65
    kobrien65 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, Kevin here. 47yrs old and pregnant...at least that's what I look like. It hit me when my fat jeans were starting to become tight. I used to be athletic and healthy and somehow transformed into a sloth. Putting my weight back in order, kicking and screaming. Lost 15 lbs so far and dropped a jean size already. 30 lbs more to go, and I need a guys hang out on here. Looks like I found a great one.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    Hey guys, Kevin here. 47yrs old and pregnant...at least that's what I look like. It hit me when my fat jeans were starting to become tight. I used to be athletic and healthy and somehow transformed into a sloth. Putting my weight back in order, kicking and screaming. Lost 15 lbs so far and dropped a jean size already. 30 lbs more to go, and I need a guys hang out on here. Looks like I found a great one.

Welcome Kevin. pull up a stool and grab a cold one.
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    wow 180 lbs ...way to go
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    wow 180 lbs ...way to go

If that is for me, thanks but 180 is my goal, still got a ways to get there. Welcome to the madhouse BTW
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kevin!! And I'm gonna post here more than I have lately. AHTH!! // Lee
  • kikstand
    kikstand Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Jaytree here, I love the Group Title!

Over the 50 year mark last year and trying to get into a good workout program while working swing shifts.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    Jaytree here, I love the Group Title!

Over the 50 year mark last year and trying to get into a good workout program while working swing shifts.

Welcome Jaytree, I also work swing shift and it is tough to say the least. I only feel like doing anything on my off days.
  • kikstand
    kikstand Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you Tony, I feel welcomed.

It's definitely no picnic working swing shifts. Problem with me is I don't feel like doing anything even on my OFF days. I'm ready for some life change.
  • TheWorstHorse
    TheWorstHorse Posts: 185
    Options
    Good morning all. Joined the group several weeks ago. Was happy to find a group here comprised of (a) men, (b) who are not trying to cut from ten to seven percent BF, (c) and generally have only a vague memory of their fortieth birthday.

Joined MFP when I figured out that getting fit and losing weight at fifty-five wasn't quite the same as doing so at twenty-five, especially after several decades of falling off of things, getting banged up in a motorcycle accident and having two rounds of open heart surgery.

So far so good, lifestyle reset in progress, weight being lost, fitness being regained. Pleased to meet you all and hope to make a few new friends here.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    Welcome. It ain't much but we like it.
  • TheAverageDan
    TheAverageDan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well I just typed my intro and was apparently under the delusion that the settings option above this box would expand and allow me to add my ticker..... but alas it simply erased everything I wrote.

In any event, I am 37 yrs old, 250 lbs and looking to shed 50 lbs. I hovered in the mid 230s for a few years but added an additional 15 lbs this winter.... I also play softball and the extra girth is quite noticeable on my knees and my endurance when I play.

I am a technology guy so I have downloaded this app and paired it with RunKeeper (an app I use to track walks and runs). I feel that increased activity is the true equalizer when it comes to your body's desire to pack on pounds so I am going to do my best to run as much as possible.

I see some great progress on the other tickers in this post and I look forward to using your stories as inspiration.

Dan
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    Well I just typed my intro and was apparently under the delusion that the settings option above this box would expand and allow me to add my ticker..... but alas it simply erased everything I wrote.

In any event, I am 37 yrs old, 250 lbs and looking to shed 50 lbs. I hovered in the mid 230s for a few years but added an additional 15 lbs this winter.... I also play softball and the extra girth is quite noticeable on my knees and my endurance when I play.

I am a technology guy so I have downloaded this app and paired it with RunKeeper (an app I use to track walks and runs). I feel that increased activity is the true equalizer when it comes to your body's desire to pack on pounds so I am going to do my best to run as much as possible.

I see some great progress on the other tickers in this post and I look forward to using your stories as inspiration.

Dan

Welcome Dan
  • Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Dan

Welcome to the group ! There a great bunch here and i'm sure you'll make many friends. Add me if you want :)
    Jeff
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm 34, currently morbidly obese (according to my doc) but I think I'm just fat.

I am all messed up, medically, with a brain tumor pushing against my pituitary gland. That regulates hormones like testosterone, blood pressure etc.

I also have epilepsy. My doc thinks the tumor is related but I digress...

Regardless of the reasoning, If I look at anything awesome like pizza or nachos or chicken fried steak my blood pressure rises and I gain weight. Not that those are healthy anyway but I have less calorie burn than the next guy. Too bad, so sad right?

I am sexy regardless of my weight (you should see my moobs glistening in the summer sunlight as I emerge from the pool) but I hate (HUGE exclamation point insertion after "hate") any kinda pills or medications.

I cannot help the epilipsy meds but I can influence my blood pressure. I want to keep dropping weight and exercising until the pills are unnecessary.

My goals are modest for now (30 lbs) but, in a perfect world, I would like to have abs (I'm guessing that will be around a 70 lb weight loss.)

I am glad I found this group. I don't want to see a bunch of starving teenie boppers or personal trainer wanna-bees. All I want to see are like goals and determinations.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Welcome in new guys Jeff, Dan, Brando and others I may have missed.

Not super active group, but ask for suggestions and many will see and hopefully respond. Besides seeing some folks to friend who might have similar interests or goals or activity.

Brando - sorry to hear about the difficulty ya gotta get over to hopefully have this be a tad easier. Those catch-22 situations always suck.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    Welcome in new guys Jeff, Dan, Brando and others I may have missed.

Not super active group, but ask for suggestions and many will see and hopefully respond. Besides seeing some folks to friend who might have similar interests or goals or activity.

Brando - sorry to hear about the difficulty ya gotta get over to hopefully have this be a tad easier. Those catch-22 situations always suck.

I would add that if you have Nutrition questions. Heybales is as good as you will find to ask. Science of this all is his thing.