Trayvon and the media

Options

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You never said if you believe you yourself are rascist, since all white people apparently are.

I have white privilege. I have racist thoughts. I hate myself for it. It's something I'm working on. But the culture we all grow up in black people are 'othered'. (in Australia it's worse with Aboriginal people. It's not that you don't associate with most Aboriginal people it's that you simply don't cross paths)

I'll give you a better example of 'the black friend' argument (and I notice you didn't respond to the fact that this 'friend' is not actually his friend)

I work with a woman who is married to an Aboriginal man. He passes as white. His mother is black. Her children have features that identify them as Aboriginal. (and she's commented before that she has had other Aboriginal women stop her and ask if her children are Noongar) She also uses the 'n' word, she thinks the majority of Aboriginal people are lazy and worthless. (her family is different of course) Is she not racist because her husband and children are of that race?

That sounds more like stereotyping than racism, there is a difference between the two
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping it's just a case of youth and white privilege but I do think all white people do have racism towards black people. In our culture it's hard not to (and am saying this as someone who is white) It's recognizing that it exists and fighting it every time it pops up that is hard.

Yeah, one of the other things too is this.....a lot of white people, have only white family, and mainly close white friends, so they are not even aware that racism still happens at the rate that it does.....or that it is as harmful to EVERYONE as it is.....and when something does happen, such as the Trayvon Martain case, they look for any answer they can that is not related to race, even though it clearly is.....

@ unknown sister ,I am sorry when you said "yeah, one of the other things too is this", you gave the impression that you agreed did you not?
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping it's just a case of youth and white privilege but I do think all white people do have racism towards black people. In our culture it's hard not to (and am saying this as someone who is white) It's recognizing that it exists and fighting it every time it pops up that is hard.

Yeah, one of the other things too is this.....a lot of white people, have only white family, and mainly close white friends, so they are not even aware that racism still happens at the rate that it does.....or that it is as harmful to EVERYONE as it is.....and when something does happen, such as the Trayvon Martain case, they look for any answer they can that is not related to race, even though it clearly is.....

@ unknown sister ,I am sorry when you said "yeah, one of the other things too is this", you gave the impression that you agreed did you not?

Perhaps that was poorly worded....I meant that as, yeah, I bet this is a case of white privledge, as in Lucky....not that all white people are racists....I would never saw all of any people are anything......
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    <
    White Guy

You are guilty of, in this thread alone:

Lumping an entire race of people the same;

Making condescending remarks about a single race of people;

and

Telling someone they fit the bill of a stereotypical person of a single race.

unknown_sister, I think you should stop throwing stones in your glass house.

Amen! I was thinking the same thing Us white folk are too privileged to understand. Black on White Racism is rampant and blatant and ignored.

But this thread is migrating away from the subject matter.

Lets stick to the fact that no matter what happens at a local level Racists Blacks that hate white people are going to do everything they can to protect the criminal acts of other blacks. The fact that Racist USAG Eric Holder hasn't arrested the Black Panther members for putting a Dead or a alive bounty on Zimmermans head is outrageous and straight up racist.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    <
    White Guy

and

Amen! I was thinking the same thing Us white folk are too privileged to understand. Black on White Racism is rampant and blatant and ignored.

Lets stick to the fact that no matter what happens at a local level Racists Blacks that hate white people are going to do everything they can to protect the criminal acts of other blacks. The fact that Racist USAG Eric Holder hasn't arrested the Black Panther members for putting a Dead or a alive bounty on Zimmermans head is outrageous and straight up racist.

Really?
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    I think it is kinda humorous that I have an arrow pointing at my name from the last quote that says "White guy"

Anyway, I am gone for the day now.....but will def be checking back here tonight....still would love for KimmyEB to point out to me where I did the things she has accused me of........
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    I think it is kinda humorous that I have an arrow pointing at my name from the last quote that says "White guy"

Anyway, I am gone for the day now.....but will def be checking back here tonight....still would love for KimmyEB to point out to me where I did the things she has accused me of........

LOL that is funny

:)

Ok New info

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-12/news/os-trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-charged-jail-20120412_1_face-murder-charges-today-show-accident

Trayvons Mom says she believes it was all an accident
  • Lozze
    Options
    I don't believe that Zimmerman meant to kill him. That doesn't exclude the fact that he did. Like Trayvon's mother said I'm sure he wants to turn the clock back.

It doesn't make him any less culpable for Trayvon's death. (which is why he has been charged with murder 2 not murder 1) He performed a number of actions that resulted in the death of a teenage boy and that is why he was charged. I hope he's convicted.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    I don't believe that Zimmerman meant to kill him. That doesn't exclude the fact that he did. Like Trayvon's mother said I'm sure he wants to turn the clock back.

It doesn't make him any less culpable for Trayvon's death. (which is why he has been charged with murder 2 not murder 1) He performed a number of actions that resulted in the death of a teenage boy and that is why he was charged. I hope he's convicted.

What if the facts show something different do you still hope he is convicted?
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    <
    White Guy

and

O_O Ok, wow. So what was the purpose of this statement, please kind sir?
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    The statements about how all white people are inherently racist is a load of trash. And the blatant disregard for justice by the USAG on multiple occasions because the criminal is black is a prefect example of the the racism that is accepted by black Americans but when its the other way they scream. Its a double standard. The black community is allowed to be racist and the white community cant even be proud of their heritage without being called racist.
  • Lozze
    Options
    What if the facts show something different do you still hope he is convicted?

Sure. I'm not sure how new facts will change Zimmerman shooting an unarmed teenager dead but if something comes out to show those facts are incorrect then yes I will review my decision.

Before you go on about presumption of innocence Zimmerman is only entitled to that presumption in a court of law. I am under no such obligation. (and being Australian would have no say on the court case)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The statements about how all white people are inherently racist is a load of trash. And the blatant disregard for justice by the USAG on multiple occasions because the criminal is black is a prefect example of the the racism that is accepted by black Americans but when its the other way they scream. Its a double standard. The black community is allowed to be racist and the white community cant even be proud of their heritage without being called racist.

I agree with you here, minus the white heritage thing, as being "white" we don't really have a common heritage..

Still I am not going to judge a black person based on their skin color. Their actions, yes, as I would anyone but I truly see a double standard between black and white racism.
  • DoingItNow2012
    Options
    Definition of RACISM
    1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Definition of PREJUDICE
    1: injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims
    2a (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b : an instance of such judgment or opinion c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

I agree with you here, minus the white heritage thing, as being "white" we don't really have a common heritage..

Still I am not going to judge a black person based on their skin color. Their actions, yes, as I would anyone but I truly see a double standard between black and white racism.

Blacks have no common heritage either. You can be black and be from a thousand different places. The same as a white person. I dont judge black person by their color. And according to the 911 tapes Zimmerman didn't judge him by his color either. HE saw a kid loitering and when the dispatcher asked him he wasn't even sure. This has nothing to do with race at all. Other then the complaining that its about race by the uninformed public and the liberal media trying to make it about race.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    Definition of RACISM
    1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Definition of PREJUDICE
    1: injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims
    2a (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b : an instance of such judgment or opinion c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

Yes Racism is what our USAG Eric Holder is doing by protecting people that should be jailed. "an inherent superiority of a particular race"
  • DoingItNow2012
    Options

Enough already man. Now there is a conspiracy by the federal government, or the black officials, to allow "Black" criminals to go unpunished? I suppose someone else might have an idea what you are talking about, but I'm suspecting most don't. So if you are aware of some injustice that is going on, then take action. Write a petition, protest, call attention to it, do something other than use some unfounded (my opinion) "belief" as some kind of argument or justification that... hell I don't even know what you are trying to justify.

Are you saying people shouldn't be so worked up over the Trayvon martin case becasue Black people can be racist? (even though you are not providing anything specifics)

Are you saying that because you believe that some people get over or get away with crime, everyone should?

And what do you mean by "the black community is allowed to be racist"? How? By whom? How are other races punished that black people aren't? Are you speaking of all black people?

And what do you mean "the white community cant even be proud of their heritage without being called racist"? Is there something in particular you as the white community representative would like permission to do? Let me hear it, maybe this black community member/representative can give you permission. Dude, we are a Nation of individuals. Take your issue up with the idividuals with whom you you have a problem.

Again I ask what is your purpose?
  • DoingItNow2012
    Options

Blacks have no common heritage either. You can be black and be from a thousand different places. The same as a white person. I dont judge black person by their color. And according to the 911 tapes Zimmerman didn't judge him by his color either. HE saw a kid loitering and when the dispatcher asked him he wasn't even sure. This has nothing to do with race at all. Other then the complaining that its about race by the uninformed public and the liberal media trying to make it about race.

You are as uninformed as everyone else. You have formed an opinion from what you have heard from the media and have chosen a side. Others have formed a different opinion and have chosen a side or have chosen to stay neutral. That is it.
  • DoingItNow2012
    Options
    On another note, this whole Trayvon Martin case has been so sad to me. And now seeing a picture of Zimmerman in front of the judge is just sad. It is just all around sad that we have two hurting families. Two lives paths forver altered. Trayvon is dead. Zimmerman will have to contend with stigma and obstacles for a long time to come. If he is sentenced to prison it will be a traumatic expereince. Prison can be traumatic and life altering experience. ( I work in a prison). He does have the opportunity that Martin will not have. He can turn this into something beneficial for him.

For me, there is nothing to be celebrated here. To not have sympathy and/or enpathy towards both sides in this, I think is disturbing. As humans, we all should be concerned with appearances of impropriety and justice not being served. We need to have a certain level of confidence in the justice system. also, I love the protests that are going on. I think it is wonderful exercise of our rights as Americans. And yes i feel the same way about protests for issues which I do not support. That is what makes America great, at least one of the things.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    On another note, this whole Trayvon Martin case has been so sad to me. And now seeing a picture of Zimmerman in front of the judge is just sad. It is just all around sad that we have two hurting families. Two lives paths forver altered. Trayvon is dead. Zimmerman will have to contend with stigma and obstacles for a long time to come. If he is sentenced to prison it will be a traumatic expereince. Prison can be traumatic and life altering experience. ( I work in a prison). He does have the opportunity that Martin will not have. He can turn this into something beneficial for him.

For me, there is nothing to be celebrated here. To not have sympathy and/or enpathy towards both sides in this, I think is disturbing. As humans, we all should be concerned with appearances of impropriety and justice not being served. We need to have a certain level of confidence in the justice system. also, I love the protests that are going on. I think it is wonderful exercise of our rights as Americans. And yes i feel the same way about protests for issues which I do not support. That is what makes America great, at least one of the things.

According to some people in the capital punishment discussion, one of the reasons we need to execute criminals is that prison is all fun and games and not real punishment.