Trayvon and the media

Options

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Funny, I watched Zimmerman's court apperence on CNN and he certainly did not look like his nose was broken......or that he had any other marks on his.....

It's been six weeks. His injuries could have healed. (trying to be fair here)
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I actually just jumped in the shower right after my last post, and was thinking about it....and wanted to clearify that I am not calling KimmieEB a racist.....just pointing out that could be one of the reasons that she can not see what others do....I have not read the repies yet, and will do so now......
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    This does not surprise me at all……either you are blind, I am not the only one that noticed that. Or you are also racist, and it is not uncommon that one racist would try and defend another

^I stopped reading your post at this point, and unless you can come up with something better than that, I most likely won't read anything else you have to say. Judging by your previous posts, you probably won't, though.

This does not surprise me at all....yeah....:wink:
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Funny, I watched Zimmerman's court apperence on CNN and he certainly did not look like his nose was broken......or that he had any other marks on his.....

It's been six weeks. His injuries could have healed. (trying to be fair here)

From what his brother said, he was being beaten pretty bad and had a broken nose....the reporters on CNN said there were no marks or scars at all....and a broken nose rarely heals full force like that in six weeks......without a trace....

Not only that, but I had this thought a week or two ago:

You would think that if he was beaten up, someone, like his brother that had been on TV, might have shown some photos or something? But who knows, that is just what I would have done in his spot.....
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    This does not surprise me at all……either you are blind, I am not the only one that noticed that. Or you are also racist, and it is not uncommon that one racist would try and defend another

^I stopped reading your post at this point, and unless you can come up with something better than that, I most likely won't read anything else you have to say. Judging by your previous posts, you probably won't, though.

I stopped reading too, No offense to you but it was honestly quite exhausting to read all of that when it was just a whole bunch of assumptions(By assumption I mean not supported by facts) about social norms and family norms, and personal experience which you could technically be making up but even still it is your personal experience not the experiences of everyone else. I am white come from a white family but I do know what it's like to be told I have to get out of a seat on a bus and move to a different seat on the bus because I am white except I wouldn't have gotten arrested if I didn't move, I would have gotten my *kitten* kicked by several people instead ,still a good motivator. Surprising I know, I was surprised too. But that is an experience I have had, and the way you make it sound, no white person ever experiences things like other races do.........there is my example, not my only one mind you. As a white kid from a white family growing up in a mostly black community you get to experience being the minority, and it always has surprised me how rascist every race can be when given the right opportunity with the right people backing you up. Also I am extremely curious what a lawyer did for you in the case of the jamaican guy?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    you are also racist, and it is not uncommon that one racist would try and defend another…..I perceived the fact that she seemed to think there was no need for hate crime laws that would protect people different from herself….and that comment about how often white people are killed did not help either…..

refreshing your memory- you DID call her and me a racist.

Also, Sorry to bring up that statistic, it IS very inconvenient to your argument. However, I'm not a racist for bringing it up, but you did say I had no reason to live in fear of an attack, when the facts show that I certainly do have a good reason. I'm MUCH more likely to be raped or killed by a minority, than the reverse. That's a fact.

I never said there wasn't a need for hate crime laws. I attempted to engage in a debate regarding why we enacted different penalties for different crimes. You were the one that decided to attack me instead of my argument. That's the definition of an ad hominem argument. And it's the reason I left the conversation.

You don't know anything about where I grew up, the racial makeup of my family, or anything else. You learned I'm white and straight and you decided you know something about me. That's a racist assumption.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

I stopped reading too, No offense to you but it was honestly quite exhausting to read all of that when it was just a whole bunch of assumptions(By assumption I mean not supported by facts) about social norms and family norms, and personal experience which you could technically be making up but even still it is your personal experience not the experiences of everyone else. I am white come from a white family but I do know what it's like to be told I have to get out of a seat on a bus and move to a different seat on the bus because I am white except I wouldn't have gotten arrested if I didn't move, I would have gotten my *kitten* kicked by several people instead ,still a good motivator. Surprising I know, I was surprised too. But that is an experience I have had, and the way you make it sound, no white person ever experiences things like other races do.........there is my example, not my only one mind you. As a white kid from a white family growing up in a mostly black community you get to experience being the minority, and it always has surprised me how rascist every race can be when given the right opportunity with the right people backing you up. Also I am extremely curious what a lawyer did for you in the case of the jamaican guy?

Odd that you stopped reading, yet somehow saw my story about the lawyer.....anyway, if you choose to think I am lying about my own personal experiences and life, than there is nothing I can do about that....but I have no reason to lie....kinda silly really...

To answer your question, I contacted the Human Rights Board, and then a lawyer.....I was told that even though it was a single incident case, which makes it weak, it was enough to file a complaint. Basically, what happened was, the lawyer was able to put enough pressure on the store, that the guy that had made the comment knew he was in danger of being terminated, so he started to look for another job, and left. At that point, I had a discussion with my boss, and told her that as long as there was never another problem like that again, I would stay, and drop the complaint. It was not directly involving the Jamaican man, as he was already out of the store, never heard it, and I have never seen him again. The complaint I had, was that racist comments have no place in the workplace, and that made me uncomfortable to have to touch the same things he touched, and breath the same air....that is how I feel.....

To Lucky, yes, I did call you a racist....I do not understand why you are refreshing my memory of that :huh:

Also, like I said before, my point was, that if you are attacked, the chances of someone targeting you as a hate crime, is much, much lower.....

Alright folks....I am heading out for work.....so I will not be able to respond to anything else until tomorrow.......
  • Grimmerick
    Options

Odd that you stopped reading, yet somehow saw my story about the lawyer.....anyway, if you choose to think I am lying about my own personal experiences and life, than there is nothing I can do about that....but I have no reason to lie....kinda silly really...

To answer your question, I contacted the Human Rights Board, and then a lawyer.....I was told that even though it was a single incident case, which makes it weak, it was enough to file a complaint. Basically, what happened was, the lawyer was able to put enough pressure on the store, that the guy that had made the comment knew he was in danger of being terminated, so he started to look for another job, and left. At that point, I had a discussion with my boss, and told her that as long as there was never another problem like that again, I would stay, and drop the complaint. It was not directly involving the Jamaican man, as he was already out of the store, never heard it, and I have never seen him again. The complaint I had, was that racist comments have no place in the workplace, and that made me uncomfortable to have to touch the same things he touched, and breath the same air....that is how I feel.....

To Lucky, yes, I did call you a racist....I do not understand why you are refreshing my memory of that :huh:

Also, like I said before, my point was, that if you are attacked, the chances of someone targeting you as a hate crime, is much, much lower.....

Alright folks....I am heading out for work.....so I will not be able to respond to anything else until tomorrow.......

It's called skimming, I stopped reading and started skimming. Also I am not saying you are lying I am saying that very easily you could be. You seem to shun peoples facts and statistics but it seems you feel as though your personal experience should be taken as fact. Personal experience is important but facts and statistics can be important as well,and especially useful in backing up personal experience.

On another note since you admitted to calling her a rascist I will cite this rule and ask you to refrain from doing it again as it is against our group rules. (I am a group mod and we have little rules but we do try to enforce the few we have) if you have not had the chance to read the rules please do so. They are at the top of the post board and I promise there aren't many ;)

1. Absolutely NO ad hominem (personal) attacks. Please refrain from personally attacking, insulting, belittling, name-calling, or bashing on members if they have a different opinion. Attack the points made in the post, not the member.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    but black male youth get killed at an alarming rate, by law enforcment and others, and too often, nothing is done about it....

I just want to point out that MOST black men are killed by OTHER black men, why do people seem to think that is ok? A black man being killed by a white man is actually a rare happening in the big picture but that's the only time black people seem to have any outrage over it.

"A 2007 special report released by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, reveals that approximately 8,000 — and, in certain years, as many as 9,000 African Americans are murdered annually in the United States. This chilling figure is accompanied by another equally sobering fact, that 93% of these murders are in fact perpetrated by other blacks. The analysis, supported by FBI records, finds that in 2005 alone, for example, African Americans accounted for 49% of all homicide victims in the US — again, almost exclusively at the hands of other African Americans."

Racism isn't going to end until ALL sides agree that it happens in every form, not just against "us" or "them".

It will help a great deal when certain groups of white people get over the idea that they are somehow "victims" and that their petty grievances and the existing racism against people of color are morally equivalent.

Hey, I just want equality for EVERYONE. But to go with your response, some minority groups take the existing racism against them and run with it or use it to an advantage when they can.

I'm just trying to say that exploiting the racism against you is not going to make it go away.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    wanted to clearify that I am not calling KimmieEB a racist.....

This is why I clarified. Because you seemed to have forgotten.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    HeelsAndBoxingGloves Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Just an article I found and thought was interesting and would like to share. -
    America Is Dying Slowly: Talking About Hip-Hop After Trayvon Martin -
    http://tinyurl.com/7q24eod
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

It's called skimming, I stopped reading and started skimming. Also I am not saying you are lying I am saying that very easily you could be. You seem to shun peoples facts and statistics but it seems you feel as though your personal experience should be taken as fact. Personal experience is important but facts and statistics can be important as well,and especially useful in backing up personal experience.

On another note since you admitted to calling her a rascist I will cite this rule and ask you to refrain from doing it again as it is against our group rules. (I am a group mod and we have little rules but we do try to enforce the few we have) if you have not had the chance to read the rules please do so. They are at the top of the post board and I promise there aren't many ;)

1. Absolutely NO ad hominem (personal) attacks. Please refrain from personally attacking, insulting, belittling, name-calling, or bashing on members if they have a different opinion. Attack the points made in the post, not the member.

Hey I was called a racist where is my super hero!!!
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    see now you are making me think of the song by enrique iglesias
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

Ok, now I am super confused....you and KimmieEB are not the same person right? Or am I totally missing something.....
  • Grimmerick
    Options

Ok, now I am super confused....you and KimmieEB are not the same person right? Or am I totally missing something.....

it doesn't actually make a difference, you can't call anyone a rascist as I explained earlier, attack the argument not the person.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

it doesn't actually make a difference, you can't call anyone a rascist as I explained earlier, attack the argument not the person.

Yes, I read that.,.....I am just confused as to why she is pointing out something I said to someone else as if it was to her....I feel like I am missing something here....

I will admit that racism is a VERY hot button for me....I cannot stand racists, I cannot even be in the same room with someone if I feel they are like that....I actually have three siblings that without boring you with a long life story, I have not seen or spoken to in 18 years because of their racist views, and because of that, not only do they not know my two kids, or my sister's two, I do not even think they know our mother has died.....and if I never saw them again, it would be too soon, and these are my own brother and sisters.....it is just something I have a really hard time even thinking about, let alone dealing with, it just makes me so sad that people can think bad things about other people, just simply because of the way they look......it divided my entire family, so I will admit, it is an old demon for me.....

Interesting, I read in a newspaper tonight, that a poll taken, showed that 91% of black people polled thought that Trayvon was unjustly killed.....and yet, only 35% of white people that took the poll felt the same way.....

Another interesting thing I read tonight, was that the funeral director for Trayvon, said he had no wounds consistant with a stuggle, that the only thing was bullet wounds.....
  • Grimmerick
    Options

Yes, I read that.,.....I am just confused as to why she is pointing out something I said to someone else as if it was to her....I feel like I am missing something here....

I will admit that racism is a VERY hot button for me....I cannot stand racists, I cannot even be in the same room with someone if I feel they are like that....I actually have three siblings that without boring you with a long life story, I have not seen or spoken to in 18 years because of their racist views, and because of that, not only do they not know my two kids, or my sister's two, I do not even think they know our mother has died.....and if I never saw them again, it would be too soon, and these are my own brother and sisters.....it is just something I have a really hard time even thinking about, let alone dealing with, it just makes me so sad that people can think bad things about other people, just simply because of the way they look......it divided my entire family, so I will admit, it is an old demon for me.....

Interesting, I read in a newspaper tonight, that a poll taken, showed that 91% of black people polled thought that Trayvon was unjustly killed.....and yet, only 35% of white people that took the poll felt the same way.....

Another interesting thing I read tonight, was that the funeral director for Trayvon, said he had no wounds consistant with a stuggle, that the only thing was bullet wounds.....

I will let them answer to that, I am just here to say no matter what your experiences or background we still have rules to abide by for productive debates.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

I will let them answer to that, I am just here to say no matter what your experiences or background we still have rules to abide by for productive debates.

I was just saying why this is such a hot topic for me, and why I react so strongly.....thats all, I understand your point ;)
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    no worries chick, debate away, I love differing opinions. Makes the debate club great! Can't debate without opposition, right. Your beliefs are just as valid as anyone else's. Just gotta keep it friendly ;)
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    So anyways, I think that the prosecutor brought about charges to pacify the masses. I really don't think this guy is going to get murder 2 pinned on him.