how much weight have you gained

jamie31
jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
Hey all, I am 10 weeks 5 days pregnant and had another appt yesterday. I have gained 9lbs, and am freaking out a little. The dr didnt say anything about the weight gain though. I am still working out and burn alot of calories, i am still eating at a deficit ( some days its a 1000 calorie deficit!) What was your weight gain at this point? is alot of this water retention???

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    I will be 17weeks tomorrow and I have gained 8-10lb depending on my fluctuations! I'm sure a little of it is water water, and that's why my weight varies by 2+lbs some days. I ate at maintenance my first trimester....but mostly over because I was so hungry, and am now add 250 a day, which I've been pretty good at staying within most days. I think to a certain extent our bodies are just going to do what they want. Just make sure you are eating healthy and staying active! Did you ask your doctor about calorie intake? If not, I would ask because 1000 calorie deficit seems like a lot while pregnant to me. And if the doc didn't say anything then I wouldn't be too worried :)
  • tinyjourney
    tinyjourney Posts: 198 Member
    We are so totally individual! I wouldn't worry too much unless your doctor says you have reason to worry. Is he/she OK with your deficit? That seems like quite a large deficit even for the early stages of pregnancy.

I am struggling with food aversions and a very compressed stomach. I can't eat a full meal usually, I end up snacking. I gained weight immediately, I bloated up about 5 lbs. I lost that and I still haven't gained anything, just fluctuating water weight. My OB says I am fine and I'll probably be a faster gainer towards the end of the second trimester (17 weeks). She said others gain more early and slow down later, others are completely consistent. Just keep the lines of communication open with your doctor and I am sure you'll be fine!
  • pcedano
    pcedano Posts: 62 Member
    Just keep an eye on it, with my daughter I gained 10lbs in the first trimester, 5lbs in the second, and 16lbs in the third. When I went to the OB two weeks ago I was up 6lbs (at the time I was 11 weeks) but I stepped on the scale on Sunday and I was down 3lbs. Being that summer is around the corner us preggos will be retaining a lot of water and remember heat makes things swell including our selves.
  • Moodymona
    Moodymona Posts: 46 Member
    My first pregnancy I gained 19lbs with this pregnancy I lost ten gained 2 so far
  • dq1479
    dq1479 Posts: 16 Member
    I know its hard but do not give it a second thought. Your body is just saying that it needs the weight, especially if you are staying active and eating well. That little love inside of you is just doing his/her thing!

With my first I was absolutely at 10lbs by 10-11 weeks. I gained close to 45-50lbs with my first pregnancy, enjoyed every last bagel and Dorito, FYI! ;)

This pregnancy - I am 19 weeks and i have gained 10lbs. I don't weigh myself at home but that has DEF gone up since my last appt.

My advice - embrace the madness that is your body right now. Once you do that - little weight gains are not that big a deal. The goal is to keep tracking and be healthy but you are pregnant so these things will happen! Big hugs! :)
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    I'm at 19wks 4days and up around 12lbs or so depending on the day. I'm weighing about three pounds heavier at the doctor's office from clothes, shoes, etc. but they used the starting weight that I inputted from my home scale so they're showing me at 15lbs up!
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    I am 15 weeks and have gained 3 pounds. I track everything still and try to exercise 4-5 times per week. I am determined not to gain over the 15-20 pounds my doctor suggested. I have two older children and am 36, so it isn't going to be as easy for me ro bounce back this time.
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    I'm 27 weeks, and I'm up 22 pounds. I gained 10 pounds alone in my first trimester, I had no morning sickness and just became instantly MORE hungry especially for carbs primarily. I still workout 5-6 days a week, but my eating habits have cause my weight gain to be high and steady.
  • eejieweejie
    eejieweejie Posts: 49 Member
    I'm 35 weeks and up 20.5lbs. I actually didn't gain anything until 20/21 weeks, so all my weight gain has been in the last 14/15 weeks. Everyone is different, some gain weight earlier, then don't gain much in the end, and some are opposite and don't gain much to begin with, and then it piles on! As long as you're exercising and tracking and making good food choice for the most part, I wouldn't worry about it. I would make sure you are eating some of your exercise calories back though, that's a big deficit to have, especially when you're preggo.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    10 weeks and haven't gained any weight yet. That wasn't the case with first two pregnancies . I gained about 10-15lbs first trimester..
  • jamie31
    OK seems like everyone is different. I think maybe what has made me gain so much is that i was at a REALLY high deficit then upped my calories immediately by about 500, so that could have a little to do with it. I guess since the dr didnt say anything she must not be worried.
  • MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    I'm totally different, I actually lost 2 pounds, and almost at 15 weeks.. really strange, but no complaints.
    A good friend of mine gained 50 lbs during her pregnancy and she is the fittest most healthy person I know.. she exercised like crazy the whole time but gained tons of water weight. Her baby is now 2 weeks old and she already lost around 30 pounds... Everyone is different!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    I feel like the less I eat the more I gain. I gained 6lbs by my first OB appointment at 10 weeks despite being strict with my diet and kept going from there. I reached 10 by about 15 weeks. However, it slowed way down, even after I largely stopped tracking. I'm now up 24 at almost 36 weeks. Going to a generous maintenance seemed to help. They say a lot of women that have been dieting or are low body fat tend to gain fast initially because the body is ensuring adequate fat stores for the pregnancy. The more you restrict the more your body may try to retain fat and fluids. So increase those calories, stay active, and trust the process!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    I feel like the less I eat the more I gain. I gained 6lbs by my first OB appointment at 10 weeks despite being strict with my diet and kept going from there. I reached 10 by about 15 weeks. However, it slowed way down, even after I largely stopped tracking. I'm now up 24 at almost 36 weeks. Going to a generous maintenance seemed to help. They say a lot of women that have been dieting or are low body fat tend to gain fast initially because the body is ensuring adequate fat stores for the pregnancy. The more you restrict the more your body may try to retain fat and fluids. So increase those calories, stay active, and trust the process!

That's what I was figuring for me, I was still on a restricted 1200-1400 calories a day when I got pregnant so when I increased back to maintenance BAM, weight!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Hi there. I am 8wks 2days along and I have gained 2.5lbs so far. I have a goal set in my mind that I don't want to gain more than 4lbs my first trimester, but it doesn't look like its going to happen. The last 3 weeks I have been gaining weight every week. I exercise daily and "try" not to go over calories, but that is hard to do because I am so hungry all the time. lol I also eat a ton of carbs so I don't have nausea. Carbs seem to help me alot, but it also sticks to you! oh well. Its nice to see that I am not the only one gaining in the first tri
  • jamie31
    Hi there. I am 8wks 2days along and I have gained 2.5lbs so far. I have a goal set in my mind that I don't want to gain more than 4lbs my first trimester, but it doesn't look like its going to happen. The last 3 weeks I have been gaining weight every week. I exercise daily and "try" not to go over calories, but that is hard to do because I am so hungry all the time. lol I also eat a ton of carbs so I don't have nausea. Carbs seem to help me alot, but it also sticks to you! oh well. Its nice to see that I am not the only one gaining in the first tri

Same here. the carbs help me keep the morning sickness away. 11 weeks now and have yet to get sick. I was just freaking out about the weight because they say you should only gain 25-35 lbs and at this rate i was like OMG i will end up gaining about 60lbs!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    blah, 9 wks 2 days. I am up another pound. 3.5lbs gain for me so far. well goal under 4 is totally out the window. How about goal under 6lbs? LOL
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    I'm at 11 weeks and have gained about 3 pounds. I'm kind of surprised that I haven't gained more, considering the sheer volume of food I've been eating. I have been STARVING lately!
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    I will be 31wks tomorrow and up 21.2lbs. I didn't start gaining until I was 17wks.

Everyone is different. As long as your OB/Midwife is okay with your weight gain then I wouldn't worry.