Anyone doing any hiking?

Options

Replies

• cmcis
    cmcis Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Oh, I so envy you. That's one beautiful scenic route, looks like paradise.
  • ltgw2000
    ltgw2000 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Those are some beautiful pictures!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The weather was very cold, so driving long distance wasn't in the cards, but hiking was on the brain, so I returned to my little hidden gem of water falls 30 minutes from my home, that most locals don't know about. Not a soul around.
    It was so cold my water froze about an inch at the top of my water bottle & my soft protein bar, was frozen solid.
    We still managed to buck up & get a great 9.32 miles in, with over 1804 ft elevation gain.

Frozen Forest

2vru73p.jpg

Ice hanging from the rock wall along the trail

359zj9u.jpg

Frozen trail from the spray of the falls

jgqt5s.jpg

Standing at the top of the falls

2hg5t9x.jpg

Standing at the bottom of the falls, on the frozen trail very dangerous

2hx3v5t.jpg

io1342.jpg

2iih6d4.jpg
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great shots Hikergirl! It's been crazy cold hasn't it?
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Beautiful!
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the pictures. That's one heck of a hike in the bitter cold temperatures.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Mt Si is my winter workout mountain. I'm pretty sure I've posted it with fog, and snow. Today it was just icy slush, with a bitter cold breeze. Elevation gain was 3761 ft in 4 miles ,Total round trip 8.14 miles. I burned 4908 calories which is not the normal, but I have been down ill for a while and I' haven't been working out. So my average of making it to the summit by 2 hours and 15 minutes , was more like 2 hrs and 45 minutes. Which does not count the scramble after reaching the top

1/2 mile left to go, always love this spot.

24mu9ex.jpg

Icy scramble.

j5js0k.jpg

Panoramic View from where I had lunch

whnqye.jpg

Base of the Haystack, not recommended to climb it this time of year, many have died trying

xd8oxl.jpg

And of course, no pictures would ever be worth sharing if I didn't include the sweetest hiking companion :heart: Baxter :heart:

29uorbp.jpg
  • cmcis
    Options
    Went snowshoeing in Devon ravine. Looks so different in the winter.

20131214_123723_zps6b67a7fe.jpg

20131214_130524_zpse1c94a23.jpg

20131214_123942_zpsce49461a.jpg

In summer:

IMG_1492_zpscd8cda1a.jpg
  • cmcis
    Options
    Mt Si is my winter workout mountain. I'm pretty sure I've posted it with fog, and snow. Today it was just icy slush, with a bitter cold breeze. Elevation gain was 3761 ft in 4 miles ,Total round trip 8.14 miles. I burned 4908 calories which is not the normal, but I have been down ill for a while and I' haven't been working out. So my average of making it to the summit by 2 hours and 15 minutes , was more like 2 hrs and 45 minutes. Which does not count the scramble after reaching the top

1/2 mile left to go, always love this spot.

24mu9ex.jpg

Icy scramble.

j5js0k.jpg

Panoramic View from where I had lunch

whnqye.jpg

Base of the Haystack, not recommended to climb it this time of year, many have died trying

xd8oxl.jpg

And of course, no pictures would ever be worth sharing if I didn't include the sweetest hiking companion :heart: Baxter :heart:

29uorbp.jpg

Wow! What a challenging hike! Love the pictures.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Went snowshoeing in Devon ravine. Looks so different in the winter.

20131214_123723_zps6b67a7fe.jpg

20131214_130524_zpse1c94a23.jpg

20131214_123942_zpsce49461a.jpg

In summer:

IMG_1492_zpscd8cda1a.jpg

WOW! No kidding it looks different! I really want to get out and snowshoe! Thank you for sharing!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    January 1st 2014 had the day off, so what better way to start the new year?! My friend and her dogs and I all headed for Snoqualmie Pass. We packed our snowshoes but never used them, the snow was packed down quite a bit.. We traveled 7.9 miles with 2390 elevation gain, with views at every turn.

2qx9vsp.jpg

6dsjkp.jpg

r1xxer.jpg

Lower Kendal Peak Lake covered in snow

15clouw.jpg

kcyqz8.jpg

ab77zd.jpg

2gtonfb.jpg
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Fabulous views, looks like a great time.
  • HikerLiz
    HikerLiz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow, gorgeous! What a beautiful day yesterday was. I especially liked the snowmen/snow dogs picture. Thanks for sharing!
  • grammiemaggs
    Options
    Hikergirl ... those are amazing pictures. Thanks for sharing them and Happy New Year!!
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! I wish I had gone out yesterday.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    This isn't really a true hike (or up to my standards as a hike), but my old dog needed to get out in the woods, and I'm sick of the trails in the dog park. I swear my senior dog was smiling , and my border collie Baxter was thrilled to have his partner in crime by his side. He seems so much happier when she tags along.
    Anyway, we went to Ellis Cove in Olympia WA, Lots of trails, and you completely forget that you are in the heart of a City. With all the ups and downs and the steps cut into the hills to prevent erosion, I managed to burn 643 calories in 1 hour and 20 minutes.

First off you must be very watchful for bears

nn1m6v.jpg

nn06fp.jpg

The fog still hadn't lifted when we reached the bay. But I still found a couple of opportunities for some pictures

294jd6g.jpg

vsnbqg.jpg

Jelly fish everywhere

35ldxc2.jpg

Yes she's smiling

2aablgy.jpg

2.3 miles

2mdgbax.jpg

Of course Baxter is right there to make sure I'm doing what ever I'm doing right.

2vnj31j.jpg
  • cmcis
    Options
    Wow! That looks like great fun and what a burn! Way to Go!
  • grammiemaggs
    Options
    Love it love it :heart:
  • cmcis
    Options
    Buffalo_ShirleyLake_ElkIsland_zpsad745a3d.jpg

I went hiking with a group along the Shirley trail in Elk Island. The buffalo are out again and we came across two buffalo walking on the lake.
  • grammiemaggs
    Options
    Wow