Anyone doing any hiking?

Options

Replies

• Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I know I have posted Mt Si before, but this time it wasn't socked in with fog. This is my favorite winter hike. I can do it alone, and still be safe , yet still get a great burn . It's only about an hour from my house. I never set foot on it during the summer. Way to many people.
    This time I hit snow before the first mile. I had to put yak traks on my boots by 1.5 miles. Solid ice & snow the rest of the way.

Mt Si
    dyat0k.jpg

Me & my buddy
    6z0yfa.jpg

After getting to the summit. I scrambled over the rocks to get a little privacy.
    244w51u.jpg

Another good place to stop, but I was afraid the dog would fall through the boulders.
    2r3yzxu.jpg

Lunch with a view
    ogv1y.jpg

Heading back over the rocks
    2lu8j8i.jpg

Taken when we reached the summit
    qpp20n.jpg
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Wow! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to the group. Just did my first hike of 2013. It was short (less than 3 miles) but challenging - a steep rock scramble at the start. Somebody was kind enough to photograph my butt.
    600_217266232_zps7012e6ef.jpg

Anyway this is "Sleeping Giant" in Connecticut.
    And here is the look out tower at the top:
    f053389094a711e2943422000a9f1416_7.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the amazing places people are hiking in the US and around the world!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to the group. Just did my first hike of 2013. It was short (less than 3 miles) but challenging - a steep rock scramble at the start. Somebody was kind enough to photograph my butt.
    600_217266232_zps7012e6ef.jpg

Anyway this is "Sleeping Giant" in Connecticut.
    And here is the look out tower at the top:
    f053389094a711e2943422000a9f1416_7.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the amazing places people are hiking in the US and around the world!

Looks like a very interesting hike. A little history?
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Looks like a very interesting hike. A little history?

The history isn't very interesting. The park is called Sleeping Giant because the mountain, from a distance, looks like a sleeping giant. Maps even pinpoint the head, chin, shoulder, hip, etc. The tower was built in 1936 as part of the "New Deal".

I see you are from Washington- I'll be in Seattle in a few weeks visiting my brother.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Saturday was such a beautiful day for hiking. Everyone wanted to stick close to town because of Easter Sunday. So we parked at Mt Si Trailhead (for those of you who know the area), hiked up about 3/4 of a mile & jumped on to the Talus loop trail. As popular as Mt Si is I am surprised that no one ever uses this trail. There is a trail (not on any map) that cuts off over to the Kamizee Falls Trail head, then we came back and finished the Talus loop. Just a little over 10 miles. Not an extremely hard hike, but not easy either.

Walk through the forest
    17x277.jpg

There were several small water falls along the way.
    290u1ht.jpg

The trail to the falls
    24zggb6.jpg

First sighting of the falls
    11ce33m.jpg

2rnj8zt.jpg

Views from the Talus Loop Trail
    2u9r33k.jpg
  • HikerLiz
    HikerLiz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Is that the loop you were telling me about? Sounds like a great hike - what a wonderful day to be outdoors.

I (foolishly) tried to go to Little Si for a quick hike yesterday - couldn't believe all the cars. Then tried Rattlesnake - same story. Fortunately Cedar Butte parking lot was open and the trail was relatively empty.

Love the waterfall pictures!
  • tn_bigfoot
    Options
    I am Planning to Hike Mt. LeConte in Gatlinburg TN in mid May, 13 - 14 miles round trip. I have been preparing for several months, I have hiked Bird Mountain in Frozen Head St Park in TN (7 mile rt), several 6 mile day hikes in local and state parks, and 10 mile day hike with a pack at Montgomery Belle St Park in TN. LeConte is only 6K in elevation, I am planning on the Rainbow falls trail, approx 3k gain in elevation for the Hike. Can anyone give me any advice on this hike. I have done the rainbow falls before, this is my first time going to the top.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Sounds like a blast! I love long hikes. Have a great time
  • JMOstrem
    JMOstrem Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey all, I'm new to this group, very excited to see so many local hikers here! I LOVE Little Si. Mt. Si parking lot has always looked so ready to have someone break into your car, so I have not done that short, part of the way up trail in many years. So many lovely walks and hikes on the East Side, I'm dying to drop more weight and get out there and do what I was meant to do!

Cheers!:smile:
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Took my 3yr old granddaughter on a short nature hike monday. Did the Joe Clark trail. Alltrails has it listed at 3mi- moderate. Due to recent rains we had quite the muddy adventure, 10 creek crossings, climbed over 3 larger downed trees, had to grab roots to get up a cpl hills & bootyscoot down one for about 15 yards. At the end the largest creeks was so high we had no choice but to "take the plunge" I hung onto that child & in we went. It was a lot of firsts for her i.e. no bathroom, saw a beaver dam, lizards & large rock formations. Managed to get wet, muddy & a few scratches on both of us but when we were driving home she kept saying " this was the greatest hike ever!" I have to agree. Weather permitting I will be starting The Ozark Highlands Trail on sat. Will do the first 6mi as a out & back.
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Here's a the first of two videos of my recent 3-day backpacking trip to Mt. Greylock on the Appalachian Trail

http://youtu.be/2wyt5wd6x6g

Here's part 2

http://youtu.be/HCZcGCCTiZI
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Here's a the first of two videos of my recent 3-day backpacking trip to Mt. Greylock on the Appalachian Trail

http://youtu.be/2wyt5wd6x6g

Here's part 2

http://youtu.be/HCZcGCCTiZI

Yay you're back...........thought you got lost on a Mountain :huh:
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Took the dogs camping on the Washington Coast. 2 days of fun in the sun. Sure did hate coming back. I took like about 200 pictures but I thought I would share a few.
    Friday Night Sunset

2lay6bb.jpg

My favorite Picture........hahaha I need glasses, I didn't know the lighthouse was there till I uploaded

msg7a.jpg

Got up at 5 a.m. to walk the beach sun was just coming up.

2zp86c8.jpg

Baxter & Sadie- Best dogs in the world
    307ouhl.jpg
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hikergirl - looks like you had a great weekend. I love the sunrise photo. And it's always great to see dog pics! Yours look like sweethearts.
  • JMOstrem
    JMOstrem Posts: 4
    Options
    Great pics, so jealous you're out and about hiking and exploring!
  • PurpleOctopus
    PurpleOctopus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm going to be hiking down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon on the Bright Angel Trail next Monday the 27th! I hike all year (except hot summer) here in NY and recently started backpacking. My heaviest pack carried so far was 28 pounds for an overnighter at the Delaware Water Gap. Carried that one 4 miles up the AT on a very steep portion about a month ago.

My pack for the Canyon is weighing in at 30 pounds estimated. The last time I made this trip was 20 years ago and I was in the best shape of my life - I weighed 20 pounds less than I do right now, was a hardcore weightlifter, aerobically fit, and I was carrying only half as much liquid as the outfitter is now requiring and almost no food (2 powerbars - it's amazing I made it to the bottom alive). I also have a much bigger and way better pack so my entire load will probably be twice as heavy as it was then. I will be using poles this time too.

The 10 mile hike is not even the highlight of the trip - we will be rafting the Colorado for 5 days once we get to the bottom. Excited!
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    First training hike of the summer in preparation for Kili - San Antonio Mountain or Mount Baldy, 4.5 miles to the top with 4,000 ft elevation gain. Yesterday was such a beautiful day to hike, and I'm happy to say that I've now conquered the "three saints" of Southern California.

baldy1.jpg
    Baldy2.jpg
    baldy3.jpg
    baldy4.jpg
    53e2147b-f954-452c-ab2c-f50a6fddf10f.jpg
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    That's awesome. 4000 ft. elevation gain for starters is a killer start! Over here getting to 10,000 feet is pretty intense. When we hike with visitors from places like CO, we choke to keep up on our own terf! LOL
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. 4000 ft. elevation gain for starters is a killer start! Over here getting to 10,000 feet is pretty intense. When we hike with visitors from places like CO, we choke to keep up on our own terf! LOL

Haha yea, when you hike the 14kers in CO you START at 10,000 feet! Gaining 4,000 ft in just 4.5 miles was definitely intense. Steep the whole way. Along with smaller peaks and trails on a regular basis, we're planning on doing the remaining saints (gorgonio and jacinto) which are taller and longer, and hopefully Whitney to top it all off this summer before heading out to Tanzania in September. I'll keep posting pictures and looking for more of your beautiful hikes - so jealous of all of the water and snow!