Anyone doing any hiking?

Options

Replies

• robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Oh - and re the no one knew where we were part? I use www.shouldbeback.com when I'm backpacking...maybe it needs to be added to the hiking days too...
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    @Hikergirl - what a harrowing experience! I'm so glad it ended well. The search and rescue folks are wonderful, aren't they?

The Rescue team was awesome! Here is the funny part tho. I organize hikes in a couple of groups, and this time of year I am very strict about being prepared for change of weather, & possibly staying the night if there is an emergency.

#1 - Jacket - I had my thin rain / wind jacket & a fleece jacket. Wearing a thin jersey top with blue jeans. After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?

#2 - I ALWAYS carry a light weight tarp & some paracord. in my pack incase I need to make a shelter. I took it out of my pack. After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?
    #3 - I didn't take my cell phone & my friend left hers in the car. After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?

#4 - And my favorite of all mistakes NO ONE KNEW WHERE WE WERE! After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?

A lesson to remember for all my hiking friends out there. BE PREPARED for the most oddest situations.

It's funny you should mention this today - my usual hiking buddy and I were out for what is a common hike for us up some abandoned logging roads near the Pilchuck River...also only 20mins from home. Today we hiked in 5 or 6 miles and there was a part of the trail that is in the process of washing away. So we got to talking about what would happen should the road finish washing out mid hike. Where this area is, once the road is gone, will be pretty impassable. We came to the conclusion that we should Probably have at least a few if our 10 essentials with us even on the '20 mins from the house' walks.
    From now on I go back to my overly precautious ways. 10+ esstentials. No matter where I go. I usually always tell someone where I am going, but for some reason this time I didn't . Total Epic hiking Fail all the way through. My friend admitted that had I not been with her, and this happened the outcome might have been very tragic.
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I took a winter hike today in Clear Creek Metro Park, near Carroll, Ohio. It was very pretty in the snow. I'm trying to post a picture... never did this before, but perhaps others will edit as necessary

2013-02-03112602_zpsda6996df.jpg
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @Hikergirl - what a harrowing experience! I'm so glad it ended well. The search and rescue folks are wonderful, aren't they?

The Rescue team was awesome! Here is the funny part tho. I organize hikes in a couple of groups, and this time of year I am very strict about being prepared for change of weather, & possibly staying the night if there is an emergency.

#1 - Jacket - I had my thin rain / wind jacket & a fleece jacket. Wearing a thin jersey top with blue jeans. After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?

#2 - I ALWAYS carry a light weight tarp & some paracord. in my pack incase I need to make a shelter. I took it out of my pack. After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?
    #3 - I didn't take my cell phone & my friend left hers in the car. After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?

#4 - And my favorite of all mistakes NO ONE KNEW WHERE WE WERE! After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?

A lesson to remember for all my hiking friends out there. BE PREPARED for the most oddest situations.

Great post and great reminder! I'm guilty of skimping on my pack for hikes on Cougar Mountain which is close to home and very familiar. But 2-3 miles from a trailhead is still 2-3 miles from a trailhead, in my backyard or not.
  • imaginaryplaces
    Options
    Yesterday I snowshoed up Mazama Ridge on Mount Rainer. A bright blue sunny day - and the Mountain was out. I really loved the contours formed by wind and snow.

IMG_2175_zps2f38ecc8.jpg
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    OMG soooooooooo beautiful.
  • imaginaryplaces
    Options
    @FiftySixFit - those are some serious icicles! Sounds like a nice hike.
  • HikerLiz
    HikerLiz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the rescue pictures and telling the story. I'm guilty of this too - especially on Tiger Mountain - it's so busy and so close to I90 - but I have gotten turned around on some of the lesser used trails out there.
  • HikerLiz
    Options
    Wow that's beautiful!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Thanks for posting the rescue pictures and telling the story. I'm guilty of this too - especially on Tiger Mountain - it's so busy and so close to I90 - but I have gotten turned around on some of the lesser used trails out there.

I do Tiger Mountain all the time. Usually only West Tiger 3 if I'm alone. Yes it is easy to get turned around. I fell down once & when I got up I realized I was almost heading down the Cable Line trail NOT GOOD. I hear people break bones trying to go down that one.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My husband doesnt want me hiking alone because of an incident with a missing hiker that we knew... i am really new to hiking and i dont really carry "essentials" except a bottle of water and my cellphone... what should i be bringing for short hikes??
  • robinaddison
    Options
    My husband doesnt want me hiking alone because of an incident with a missing hiker that we knew... i am really new to hiking and i dont really carry "essentials" except a bottle of water and my cellphone... what should i be bringing for short hikes??

Anyone going out on a hike should be able to survive a night based only on the contents of their pack. Even on a short hike, things can go AFU in a hurry, as evidenced by hikergirls tale. Here is a list of the "10 essentials" :
    1.Navigation (map and compass)
    2.Sun protection (sunglasses and sunscreen)
    3.Insulation (extra clothing)
    4.Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
    5.First-aid supplies
    6.Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candles)
    7.Repair kit and tools
    8.Nutrition (extra food)
    9.Hydration (extra water)
    10.Emergency shelter

For more info, google '10 essentials' - both REI and the WTA have good explanations.
    ETA: this does not mean you need a 40lb pack on your next walk - I carry a small container with water purification tabs, a multitool, matches/lighter/fire starter and a space blanket - items #6,7,9&10 all covered, in something the size of a a deck of cards. I have a cheap poncho and some para cord - this doubles both as shelter and rain gear. See what I mean?
  • imaginaryplaces
    Options

Anyone going out on a hike should be able to survive a night based only on the contents of their pack. Even on a short hike, things can go AFU in a hurry, as evidenced by hikergirls tale. Here is a list of the "10 essentials" :
    1.Navigation (map and compass)
    2.Sun protection (sunglasses and sunscreen)
    3.Insulation (extra clothing)
    4.Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
    5.First-aid supplies
    6.Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candles)
    7.Repair kit and tools
    8.Nutrition (extra food)
    9.Hydration (extra water)
    10.Emergency shelter

For more info, google '10 essentials' - both REI and the WTA have good explanations.
    ETA: this does not mean you need a 40lb pack on your next walk - I carry a small container with water purification tabs, a multitool, matches/lighter/fire starter and a space blanket - items #6,7,9&10 all covered, in something the size of a a deck of cards. I have a cheap poncho and some para cord - this doubles both as shelter and rain gear. See what I mean?

Exactly. And I always bring my 11th essential: toilet paper and plastic baggies! Plus a small, super lightweight inflatable cushion to sit on.

You know, Hikergirl's experience has been a good reminder for me, for sure. I've slacked off on a few of these items. Going to go through my pack thoroughly before going out this weekend. (Like I need another excuse to go to REI!)
  • robinaddison
    Options

You know, Hikergirl's experience has been a good reminder for me, for sure. I've slacked off on a few of these items. Going to go through my pack thoroughly before going out this weekend. (Like I need another excuse to go to REI!)

Aaahhhh REI...just those initials alone start to put me in my happy place! And, dividend season is coming soon!!
  • imaginaryplaces
    Options

Aaahhhh REI...just those initials alone start to put me in my happy place! And, dividend season is coming soon!!

LOL. I think REI dividends are kind of evil - they put me in the state of mind of thinking up new things that I "have" to have. ;-) [heads over to REI web site to start planning how to spend dividends...]
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options

LOL. I think REI dividends are kind of evil - they put me in the state of mind of thinking up new things that I "have" to have. ;-) [heads over to REI web site to start planning how to spend dividends...]

Hahaha REI emails me about their Sales.......I always think , why don't they just say they want my paycheck? It happens every time. I love that store way too much. :love:
  • HikerLiz
    Options
    Oh, REI, always sends me the tempting sale mail too! And so does Sierra Trading Post, and Columbia and...

To add to the hiking list, I also would take a whistle (my daypack has one built into the chest strap). And when I hike alone, I usually text my husband from the parking lot, and then again at the summit (if possible), and then when I'm back at the parking lot. And I have a little bear spray cannister hanging from my pack belt (although I'm pretty sure that the cougar/bear/whatever would be faster than my ability to unhook the thing. But it makes my husband happy, and doesn't weigh much.) I also talk to everyone I see along the trail, so that if I fall off the mountain or anything, someone will remember the crazy lady who said Hi or talked about training for Mt Whitney when they start looking for me...
  • robinaddison
    Options
    Oh, REI, always sends me the tempting sale mail too! And so does Sierra Trading Post, and Columbia and...

To add to the hiking list, I also would take a whistle (my daypack has one built into the chest strap). And when I hike alone, I usually text my husband from the parking lot, and then again at the summit (if possible), and then when I'm back at the parking lot. And I have a little bear spray cannister hanging from my pack belt (although I'm pretty sure that the cougar/bear/whatever would be faster than my ability to unhook the thing. But it makes my husband happy, and doesn't weigh much.) I also talk to everyone I see along the trail, so that if I fall off the mountain or anything, someone will remember the crazy lady who said Hi or talked about training for Mt Whitney when they start looking for me...

I carry bear spray too - but quite frankly, it's more for the 2 legged variety than the 4 legged ones! It keeps my hiking friend happy on the days I go out alone.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Well, I just got some Kahtoola MICROspikes and am going to try them out on the hiking trails in the mountains around town this weekend. Very excited since I've not hiked in a few months. Still some snow on the ground in the hills.

I live in southwest Montana.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options

I carry bear spray too - but quite frankly, it's more for the 2 legged variety than the 4 legged ones! It keeps my hiking friend happy on the days I go out alone.

@robbinaddison I do the bear spray too. Yep it probably would work on the 2 legged critters, and much lighter than a pistol (giggle) I had an experience last spring with a bear , which was an unsual incident. So now I get a little nervous.