Anyone doing any hiking?

Options

Replies

• Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    @Hikergirl and imaginaryplaces--you're in my territory too! My focus this summer was on elevation gain... although knee problems ended my hiking season at the end of September.

Silly woman, we are in the same hiking group.....PNW Liesure Hikes. Joleta threatened to murder me about 3 times on the way up hahaha. Sorry about your knees, I remember you were having problems with them before
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    @ imaginaryplaces, yes mam we went just past the frying pan gap.. Infact next year I am backpacking alone up there. Stay at Summer land then hike past the frying pan gap and into Indian Bar. Pretty intense.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Its been very very warm here and ive been doing hiking all last month and this month! When I hit my first 10lb weight loss goal I am going to do a long day hike (which i have never been able to do before) I have only done hikes for about 3.5 hours roundtrip
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    @ imaginary places, I can't remember how high the snow started, we did a loop on the Tiger Mt. Trail. We came up on the back side of Tiger Summit #2, then headed to Tiger Summit#3 and back to the car. The snow only dusted the trail , and on the Summit #2 was only about an 1-1/2" of snow Summit #3 was bone dry. on the top.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Hiked about 7 miles today, in Cougar Mountain . More of an "urban hiking" but at least we were out and about
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Here are some pics of a recent Hike with my hiking club on Mt. Lafayette in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

The lower part of the Greenleaf Trail didn't have much snow or ice.

low_trail.jpg

That changed dramatically as we gained elevation

ice_trail.jpg

We stopped at the Greenleaf hut to layer-up and prepare to climb above tree line.

greenleaf_hut.jpg

Mt. Lincoln as seen from the Greenleaf Hut. I completed my NH Four Thousand Footers on Lincoln.

lincoln.jpg

The Greenleaf Hut and Mt. Cannon, on the other side of Franconia Notch.

hut_cannon.jpg

Approaching the summit.

near_summit.jpg

I took this panorama of the Pemigewassett Wilderness from the summit.

panorama.jpg
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Here are some pics of a recent Hike with my hiking club on Mt. Lafayette in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

low_trail.jpg

ice_trail.jpg

We stopped at the Greenleaf hut to layer-up and prepare to climb above tree line.

greenleaf_hut.jpg

Mt. Lincoln as seen from the Greenleaf Hut. I completed my NH Four Thousand Footers on Lincoln.

lincoln.jpg

hut_cannon.jpg

Approaching the summit.

near_summit.jpg

panorama.jpg

Beautiful, so different from over here. Love the ice
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options

low_trail.jpg

ice_trail.jpg

greenleaf_hut.jpg

lincoln.jpg

hut_cannon.jpg

Approaching the summit.

near_summit.jpg

panorama.jpg

Beautiful, so different from over here. Love the ice

OMZg I love that area. I want to climb Mt Washington with my dog this summer.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    HIked up Mount Si today. For those of you who don't live in the area. Mt Si is 8 miles round trip. Elevation gain is 3150 ft . Highest point is 3900 ft. I do this for a winter workout at least once a month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC5hmQcIhTE&feature=share&list=UUFvQrCEy0aiZPuB8XPF2nBQ
  • 1960HikerDude
    Options
    North_Moat.jpg

I hiked North Moat Mountain (3,196 Ft) in North Conway, NH with my hiking club yesterday. Although, this is a relatively small mountain compared to other peaks in the Whites. It turned out to be an extremely difficult hike. There wasn't much snow at the trail head and it has been a couple of weeks since the area had received significant snow. That turned out to be a very bad decision. When we got to the upper part of the mountain, we encountered lots of open areas with ledges with deep drifted snow. Some areas the snow was wind-packed and supported our weight. In other areas we were post holing in waist-deep snow. The snow also covered the blazes on the rocks. The only way we could confirm we were still on the trail was to look for evidence that trail crews had cut back the vegetation.

The weather was unseasonably warm. An undercast filled int the valleys with just the peaks sticking up through the clouds. The snow-covered peak behind me is Mt. Washington. The views were amazing.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    That looks like a great hike Hikerdude.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    6.6 miles today at Wallace Falls. We couldn't go to the lake due to deep snow, so we took a side trail back for a change of scenery. While the rest of the town was sitting in frozen fog, we managed to hike above it and found out where the sunshine was hiding. :glasses:

n4ws4g.jpg
    Wallace Falls on our way to the top.

voacch.jpg

hv71v4.jpg
    View of the Olympic Skyline
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @Hikergirl - great shots! Wallace Falls really is a nice hike. I'm glad you were able to find some sunshine - this weather has been ugly!
  • 1960HikerDude
    Options
    Nice hike. It's always spectacular when you're looking down on the clouds.
  • HikerLiz
    HikerLiz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We hiked Wallace Falls last week. Looks like some of the snow has melted off the trees. It's so beautiful this time of year, when the leaves are off the maples and the river is running high.

Congratulation on getting out of the fog-shrouded lowlands!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Took my friend to the Mashell falls today. A little hidden treasure in my backyard not many folks know about.

21b2nv5.jpg

There is about 4 waterfalls in the area, secluded & not a sole in site.

v62aub.jpg

My friend has 2 australian shepards, 1 is very young, deaf & clumsy (obviously). We were taking pictures & getting ready to head backup when the nightmare began. Her puppy ran off the cliff (100ft) and landed in the river, of course getting washed up on the other side. The current was way to dangerous to get across.. My frind climbed down the cliff with the older dog following her. (not a good idea) I thought about it for 10 minutes told her I was getting help. So I had to run (I don't run) 4 miles back up to the car, to call 911. Then hike back down with the Rescue team. By this time my friend was borderline Hypothermic so they had to get her & her older dog up first. & then inform her NO ONE was crossing that river.
    dmv8rt.jpg

The rescue team called someone to see if they knew how to access the other side. So we drove about 15 minutes around to the other side of the river, when we got there , we were told they had the dog & already on their way up.

4jos53.jpg

4q64c9.jpg

DON'T YA JUST LOVE HAPPY ENDINGS?

29fz244.jpg
  • happyhouser
    Options
    I do love a happy ending! Those are great pictures and I'm glad you are all okay!:happy:
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @Hikergirl - what a harrowing experience! I'm so glad it ended well. The search and rescue folks are wonderful, aren't they?
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    @Hikergirl - what a harrowing experience! I'm so glad it ended well. The search and rescue folks are wonderful, aren't they?

The Rescue team was awesome! Here is the funny part tho. I organize hikes in a couple of groups, and this time of year I am very strict about being prepared for change of weather, & possibly staying the night if there is an emergency.

#1 - Jacket - I had my thin rain / wind jacket & a fleece jacket. Wearing a thin jersey top with blue jeans. After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?

#2 - I ALWAYS carry a light weight tarp & some paracord. in my pack incase I need to make a shelter. I took it out of my pack. After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?
    #3 - I didn't take my cell phone & my friend left hers in the car. After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?

#4 - And my favorite of all mistakes NO ONE KNEW WHERE WE WERE! After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?

A lesson to remember for all my hiking friends out there. BE PREPARED for the most oddest situations.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options

The Rescue team was awesome! Here is the funny part tho. I organize hikes in a couple of groups, and this time of year I am very strict about being prepared for change of weather, & possibly staying the night if there is an emergency.

#1 - Jacket - I had my thin rain / wind jacket & a fleece jacket. Wearing a thin jersey top with blue jeans. After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?

#2 - I ALWAYS carry a light weight tarp & some paracord. in my pack incase I need to make a shelter. I took it out of my pack. After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?
    #3 - I didn't take my cell phone & my friend left hers in the car. After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?

#4 - And my favorite of all mistakes NO ONE KNEW WHERE WE WERE! After all I'm only 20 minutes from home what could happen?

A lesson to remember for all my hiking friends out there. BE PREPARED for the most oddest situations.

It's funny you should mention this today - my usual hiking buddy and I were out for what is a common hike for us up some abandoned logging roads near the Pilchuck River...also only 20mins from home. Today we hiked in 5 or 6 miles and there was a part of the trail that is in the process of washing away. So we got to talking about what would happen should the road finish washing out mid hike. Where this area is, once the road is gone, will be pretty impassable. We came to the conclusion that we should Probably have at least a few if our 10 essentials with us even on the '20 mins from the house' walks.