Anyone doing any hiking?

Options

Replies

• imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Well, I just got some Kahtoola MICROspikes and am going to try them out on the hiking trails in the mountains around town this weekend. Very excited since I've not hiked in a few months. Still some snow on the ground in the hills.

I live in southwest Montana.

I have MicroSpikes too. I've used them only a few times, but they've made a huge difference. Have a great weekend!
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    We went to Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park about three weeks ago. We started at the trailer camping area and went out almost to the river to an area called Cowboy Camp and then back. We ended up hiking 20 miles between Friday night, Saturday, and mid-afternoon Sunday.

The gear failures were interesting on this trip: a brand new jet boil and a Katadyn Hiker water filter.

Overall it was a great trip and we had a lot of fun.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    We went to Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park about three weeks ago. We started at the trailer camping area and went out almost to the river to an area called Cowboy Camp and then back. We ended up hiking 20 miles between Friday night, Saturday, and mid-afternoon Sunday.

The gear failures were interesting on this trip: a brand new jet boil and a Katadyn Hiker water filter.

Did you test the gear before you left? Those are the 2 most important items in my book. Don't tell me I can't heat up food on the trail. Glad you a had a great trip
  • Angeliize
    Options
    In PA here and getting nailed with snow. Not as much as New England but still a lot. Hoping to go for a hike tomorrow. I don't like cold weather but nothing is more beautiful than fresh snow fall.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Today I took my trusted hiking companion up Mt Si for a little mountain conditioning. I carried almost 40 lbs up the mountain & in a round trip I burned 5389 calories Whew.

Mt Si is located in North Bend, WA The elevation gain is 3150 ft. in 4 miles , total trip is 8 miles. I went a little farther so I was closer to 9 miles. Found a spot to have lunch alone.

Best hiking buddy a girl can have
    14c60jr.jpg

9068fa.jpg

Getting ready to head back down it was really cold
    4uxidc.jpg

308grog.jpg
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @Hikergirl - Nice photos! Looks like a lot of snow up there! You dog looks like a sweetie.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    @Hikergirl - Nice photos! Looks like a lot of snow up there! You dog looks like a sweetie.

He is a sweetheart, and has perfect hiking manors.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    My friend and I did some more exploring of the waterfalls near my house (without dogs) 7 miles, with some scrambling.

23ijvcg.jpg

34imni1.jpg

1ph090.jpg

Washington State is just my favorite place to be. My life is an adventure every week.
  • mountainmojo34
    mountainmojo34 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We are doing a 4 day 41 loop backpacking trip at Green Ridge State Forest this Fri - Mon. :smile:
  • mountainmojo34
    mountainmojo34 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also live in MD - take it day by day eat right and the weight will come off - Do you hike Patapsco? 170 miles of trails and some nice old ruins to check out. Between Old Frederick Rd to Sykesville is great trails, mainly hikers and runners and less Mt Bikers.
  • TomjsAj
    TomjsAj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Mostly North Carolina trails but Crowder Mountain, Morrow Mountain (on Sunday), Mt. Mitchell, Table Mountain in SC, Camp Creek in WV, and I have The Land of Waterfalls in NC I want to hike and rappel down a ton of those falls this year sometime. I also hope to backpack the Appalachian Trail for three day sometime this fall if I can get some experience. This is the first year I can live my dream of hiking NC and more, my son is 17 and I have raised him to go live him...it's my turn! :)
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    We're planning to do Whitney this summer and then Kilimanjaro this fall! We're booking everything tomorrow. I'm so excited. I bet this summer is just going to fly by.
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    At Sky Meadows State Park in Virginia today... beautiful.

Can't get the pic to post for some reason.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I hike in West TN so needless to say it is not that Mountainous or challenging. I still enjoy being in the woods are there are some hills, etc.... My husband and I hike on Saturday or Sunday for 2 hours which amounts to about 7 miles. This park is 30 minutes from where we live. We will probably branch out and do a few parks that are a bit of a drive from our house. We did this 3 years ago and it was a lot of fun. I grew up in Vermont and I halfway wish I still lived there for the hiking trails.
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Did you test the gear before you left? Those are the 2 most important items in my book. Don't tell me I can't heat up food on the trail. Glad you a had a great trip

It was some of the boys in our troop that had just gotten neat stuff for Christmas. We ALWAYS have backup troop gear in those situations. Personally, I love my little esbit stove and fuel tabs.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    My friends took me snow shoeing for the first time to Copper Creek Hut. 9 miles round trip. It's a 2 story cabin, with wood stove and propane cooking stove. Anyone can go there. You can pop in during the day for free & cook up a meal & warm your toes, or you can stay the night for $15 a night. Mats are provided to sleep upstairs. Really nice set up.

Arriving at the hut.
    20t0106.jpg

2vnoxl1.jpg

View from outside the hut
    14lokdw.jpg

View from inside the hut
    nchac.jpg
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Went with a hiking group up to the Oyster dome. Almost to the Canadian Border. We did a 9 mile loop. The first 3 miles was almost 3000 foot elevation gain. From the Oyster Dome you could look out over the San Juan Isles. Just beautiful. On our way back back down I was able to capture the sun going down.
    Such a great day. We were able to get to the top in 2 hours, not bad considering how steep and slick it was.

2mchh07.jpg

33wxu2f.jpg

Coming back we stopped at Lily Lake
    2rpbbwy.jpg

Lake covered in snow
    51c7j8.jpg

Sunset
    2hek4ux.jpg
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Some more great stories and photos - thanks everyone :flowerforyou:

Love to see like-minded people - makes the gym look rather dull, doesn't it?!!
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Wow, Hikergirl01! You have beautiful places to hike!

I am so durn excited: going backpacking in Canyonlands over Easter. I am really looking forward to it after a long, cold, snowy winter. :bigsmile:

Our local trails are finally starting to get snow-free at lower elevations so I've been going out trail running in the evening the last few days. It's so nice to be back on the dirt (not that I didn't hike & run in the snow; I did. . .I just love the dirt a wee bit more).
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Wow, Hikergirl01! You have beautiful places to hike!

I am so durn excited: going backpacking in Canyonlands over Easter. I am really looking forward to it after a long, cold, snowy winter. :bigsmile:

Our local trails are finally starting to get snow-free at lower elevations so I've been going out trail running in the evening the last few days. It's so nice to be back on the dirt (not that I didn't hike & run in the snow; I did. . .I just love the dirt a wee bit more).

I'm still waiting for the good places to melt off. Snow doesn't clear off the trails in some areas untill late summer.