Anyone doing any hiking?

Options

Replies

• pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I went on the Appalachian Trail where it crosses the Virginia/West Virginia line, and an adjoining trail, the River To Ridge trail. It was about 11 miles, with lots of up and down and it was glorious! If I can figure out how to post some pix, I will.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I went on the Appalachian Trail where it crosses the Virginia/West Virginia line, and an adjoining trail, the River To Ridge trail. It was about 11 miles, with lots of up and down and it was glorious! If I can figure out how to post some pix, I will.

I use tiny pic.com then at the beginning & end change the img to lower case letters.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Today I took a friend up to Lake Serene out past Gold Bar, Washington. She wanted something challenging yet do - able for her level of hiking. Total calories burned 1419.

First Stop...........Bridal Veil Falls

2lk38n7.jpg

e19gqt.jpg

More falls on the trail

2rbzfj6.jpg

View from the trail

2a25cl.jpg

Lake Serene, covered in Snow

rtn5w2.jpg

6fcapd.jpg

2ynld7k.jpg

HIKER GIRL SAVES THE DAY! Had it not been for my quick response & brute strength this falling log could have been tragic. I managed to catch it and push it off the trail :laugh:

2lk43dt.jpg
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    2013-06-15113802_zps5df87c53.jpg
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Today I took a friend up to Lake Serene out past Gold Bar, Washington. She wanted something challenging yet do - able for her level of hiking. Total calories burned 1419.

HIKER GIRL SAVES THE DAY! Had it not been for my quick response & brute strength this falling log could have been tragic. I managed to catch it and push it off the trail :laugh:

2lk43dt.jpg

LOL. Well done Hiker Girl! Great pics. I hope to do that hike some day.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @FiftySixFit. I used to live farther south along that section of the AT - near Charlottesville, VA. Pretty country!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Yesterday my friend and I headed out for Bandera Mountain. However, when we reached the top we realized we were on the a false summit. People were trying to find the trail but said it was covered with trees. . We are going to try again in the fall, with an earlier start. The weather was perfect and I found a new place to solo backpack with my dog, at Mason lake below the mountain.

One of many views along the trail.

2usivdd.jpg

Steep hike up meadow before a slight rock scramble

2jg4c9c.jpg

Side of the trail

fax5vo.jpg

Other side of the trail

2uzz728.jpg

View from the top

2w3p0ev.jpg

Bear Grass on the way up the alpine meadow

21kgqvc.jpg

Practicing my Mt Adams summit pose

s2z1pu.jpg
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So green and beautiful Hikergirl! I absolutely LOVE the meadow photo! Don't get me wrong, I love being able to go from mountains to ocean in less than a day, but sometimes I wish I didn't live in a desert.
  • anitadanafit
    anitadanafit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Re-introduced myself to the Appalachian Trail today. The last time I spent any real time on the trail was nearly 20 years ago. The trail hasn't changed much. The last time I walked I didn't encounter a single person. Today I crossed at least 30 people just out for a walk to one of the lakes or thru hiking. It was great to see people out enjoying the trail.
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Here are some videos of my 4-day backpacking trip on the Pemegewasset Loop in New Hampshire's White Mountains.

Day 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFWlB-xZi0

Day 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blhXv5dJMZ4

Day 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkX3Gh92BD0

Day 4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgX-DZYw2X4
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I had three great days of hiking in Flagstaff, AZ week before last. It's just too hot to hike in Phoenix area right now. Unfortunately I sprained my ankle when I fell on the last day. Having to miss out on a backpack to Yosemite next week. My ankle is improving faster than I thought it might. I started the elliptical and the bike at the gym two days ago. Must be ready for a hike in the Alps mid August so I am doing everything I know to do. Any suggestions?
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Yesterday I hiked with a group called Mt. Rainier & Beyond. We went to a Peak, named Mailbox Peak. All experienced hikers eventually make this a quest to sign their name on the mail box someone has inserted at the top. There really is no trail, and coming down is very dangerous, because of all the wet tree roots. Elevation gain is 4000 ft. in 2.5 miles. Yep....... straight up!

Warning sign at the trail head

ydslf.jpg

The so called "trail"

2crlh08.jpg

Just when I thought I was there. I came to the top of the rocks into a clearing, and to my surprise..........I had a long way to go!

f2rf5v.jpg

My view as I was eating lunch.

35n9fr4.jpg

wbdkw2.jpg

Hiking group - after heading down we all stopped for a cup of iced coffee before the long drive home.

w14b40.jpg
  • HikerLiz
    HikerLiz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting these - those tree roots are what made me turn around! Maybe I'll try again on the new trail...:smile:
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Great photos! I'd love to climb that mountain! That is ridiculously steep!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    My Mount Adams Attempt. The snow was too slushy, and I just could not get over this hump that was straight up & down. If I could have gotten up over it I know that I could have made the journey. Our camp was not far over the top of the hill. The plan was to get up in the morning & when the snow was frozen & summit by noon. I was just heart broken I couldn't do it.
    It was still a gorgeous trip tho!

2dueb0z.jpg

View from glacier bowl

2mfj5g0.jpg

33ogx8i.jpg

Little video clip of my journey

http://youtu.be/2ENA8Lz1TQs
  • TroyBa
    TroyBa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Here's some images of my Middle Sister climb from last weekend

MiddleSisMoon.jpg
    I hiked in and set up a high camp on Thursday evening around the 7000' level below Middle Sister.

UpperMiddleSister.jpg
    This shot was taken about 1000' below the summit of Middle Sister.

SSisterBrokenTopBachelorB.jpg
    Taken from the summit of Middle Sister. South Sister is the close prominent peak.

e5d87865-d268-4df3-99d8-c25d391b7120.jpg
    I spotted this little clump of flowers above the 10,000' level close to the summit. It's amazing that anything can grow up in that environment.

A summit video can be found on my youtube site: http://youtu.be/n9_obeaLUB8
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Beautiful! I saw your video, what a view
  • cmcis
    cmcis Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    DevonBatteryCreekRavine1_zpsb338305c.jpg

DevonBatteryCreekRavine1_zpsb338305c.jpg

I walked along the devon battery creek ravine today. It's was quite a challenging hike for me.
  • cmcis
    cmcis Posts: 300 Member
    Options
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Options
    Sunday I went to Mount Townsend in the Olympic National Forest. This is my 3rd time up there, and I never get tired of it. The total elevation gain was over 3500 ft. and the total miles was 8.8 miles.

2s8fcsp.jpg

Baxter posing on the summit

xe4dn6.jpg

10yjiux.jpg