CUT Progress After RESET-Tell us your ups/downs!

Options

Replies

• wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Starting my cut today TDEE -15%

After eating my TDEE for a few weeks i've gone from full and bloated to ravenous and hungry. only 1 - 2lbs fluctuation.

Im in the middle of Insanity so eating TDEE was welcome, looking lean from all the intense workout but no weight dropped.

Will closely monitor over the next 2 weeks and hopefully my metabolism will respond the way its supposed to while eating at a deficit.
  • thisgirlsonfire
    thisgirlsonfire Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Keep us up to date on your progress!
  • amandacillin
    amandacillin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ok, 6 months today of circuit training 3x per week with a trainer and recently added 3 days of 1hr cardio and have lost a total of 13 inches and 10 pounds. (Waist 3.5 inches Thigh 1.5 inches Hips 2.5 inches Shoulders 2.5 inches Chest 3 inches) I expected a lot more at this point. I am 5 '9 232 pounds (was 242). Need some motivation. I feel like my hard work should be producing better results. I have been sooooo good with my eating to have only lost this much. Oh and I did my first 5k Color Run this weekend it went great!
  • amandacepstein
    amandacepstein Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ok, 6 months today of circuit training 3x per week with a trainer and recently added 3 days of 1hr cardio and have lost a total of 13 inches and 10 pounds. (Waist 3.5 inches Thigh 1.5 inches Hips 2.5 inches Shoulders 2.5 inches Chest 3 inches) I expected a lot more at this point. I am 5 '9 232 pounds (was 242). Need some motivation. I feel like my hard work should be producing better results. I have been sooooo good with my eating to have only lost this much. Oh and I did my first 5k Color Run this weekend it went great!

Have you lost any sizes?
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bump to read later!
  • amandacillin
    Options

Have you lost any sizes?

Yes a full size in tops and almost two in jeans. The odd thing is that NOTHING fits me right! All my clothes are baggy in all the wrong places lol
  • amandacepstein
    amandacepstein Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Many people who lift find that the butt and thighs change nicely but make the clothes fit differently. Losing inches and sizes is way more important than # on the scale. Sounds like you are making good progress!
  • wffolkes
    Options
    @amandacillin Clothes not fitting is annoying but great problem to have im slowly rebuilding my wardrobe lol!

I think sometimes we need to step back and be proud of our achievements despite not being at our goal yet. So Well done and keep it up!
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I reset for 8 weeks last fall, starting at 116 (netting below my BMR every day and gaining every time I went over, thus the reason for the reset) and ended at 121 in December. Since then I have lost weight slowly on a 10% cut and am now at 114. I eat at TDEE quite frequently - so I'm averaging about 1900 calories/day. I'm 5'3" and 47 years old and around 22% bf.

I stalled out a bit in February and decided to get a digital scale so that I could track accurately and that alone is what helped me progress. On a smaller cut there is not too much room for error!
  • amandacillin
    Options

Correction!! Make that a total of 18.5 inches! How can I not be losing on the scale? That's a lot of inches to take off only to lose 10lbs.. Can anyone explain this to me? BTW happy with my 5.5 inch loss in the last two weeks...Just can't get the scale number out of my mind! Anyone with a similar experience?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Correction!! Make that a total of 18.5 inches! How can I not be losing on the scale? That's a lot of inches to take off only to lose 10lbs.. Can anyone explain this to me? BTW happy with my 5.5 inch loss in the last two weeks...Just can't get the scale number out of my mind! Anyone with a similar experience?

1 lb of fat takes up a lot more space than 1 lb of water.

Now, to keep making improvements to your body may mean you don't have much if any deficit in place.
    Your body will keep making improvements, but there's only so much glucose that can be stored so that will stop, and muscle while very slow adding water will stop as you max it out.

Time to examine why you may have little deficit in place.

May just have a whoosh effect getting ready.
    Have a night with planned carb refeed and/or couple stiff drinks. That will work if that's the reason why.
  • amandacillin
    Options

1 lb of fat takes up a lot more space than 1 lb of water.

Now, to keep making improvements to your body may mean you don't have much if any deficit in place.
    Your body will keep making improvements, but there's only so much glucose that can be stored so that will stop, and muscle while very slow adding water will stop as you max it out.

Time to examine why you may have little deficit in place.

May just have a whoosh effect getting ready.
    Have a night with planned carb refeed and/or couple stiff drinks. That will work if that's the reason why.

I think I will opt for the stiff drink! What do you mean by deficit? My ratios are 60%Protein 30%Fats and 10%Carbs.
  • wffolkes
    Options
    So week 1 into my -15% cut and I lost -0.2lbs

It wasn't a good week in terms of sticking to my macros I was just slightly out but slack in general. I think 15% may be too small so ill go another 200kcals under this week and see if any difference is made.

Looking leaner in the mirror not sure if the tape measure agrees.

Positives are nothing is gained.
  • heybales
    Options

It wasn't a good week in terms of sticking to my macros I was just slightly out but slack in general. I think 15% may be too small so ill go another 200kcals under this week and see if any difference is made.

Oh, you got stick to it longer than 1 week. Don't go scaring your body into to adapting and losing your deficit after spending all that time doing a reset. What a waste of time that could end up being.
  • wffolkes
    Options

Oh, you got stick to it longer than 1 week. Don't go scaring your body into to adapting and losing your deficit after spending all that time doing a reset. What a waste of time that could end up being.

I stuck to it and losing this week at a similar rate -0.4lbs

Finishing insanity this week (yay) and plan to rest for a week. Then I'll be starting strong lifts, I will recalculate my marcos/calories inline with my reduction in activity 3 days a week lifting sounds like heaven compared to the last 2 months of hard interval training 5-6 days a week.
  • wffolkes
    Options

I stuck to it and losing this week at a similar rate -0.4lbs

Finishing insanity this week (yay) and plan to rest for a week. Then I'll be starting strong lifts, I will recalculate my marcos/calories inline with my reduction in activity 3 days a week lifting sounds like heaven compared to the last 2 months of hard interval training 5-6 days a week.

Ended up week 2 with a -0.9lbs loss Slowly but surely losing
    Will stick with it for another 2 weeks before adjusting
    Also im planning meals ahead as to stick to marcos
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Bump--need to hear about other's results. . . .
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just finished my 8 week reset on Monday! What a trying time. I went in at a mere 5% cut (down to 2050 calories) and I think I will stick with this until after my drive back home is done. I have lost 3 lbs already (mostly bloat!!!). I'm not too interested in the scale as I did this for other reasons. My cycles were very irregular and lots of unintentional under eating and over exercising cant be good for a body. Happy to say that my cycles are back to normal the past 2 months!!!
  • kimmyt4
    kimmyt4 Posts: 18
    Options
    I just started doing my TDEE - 20%. I have been at a stand still with my weight since the initial loss of weight after having my daughter in 2008!!! :noway:

I did a lot of reading up on this topic and decided to take the plunge. I didn't do a reset, that was just to scary to me, however only 1 week into my 20% cut I have maintained. up and down .6 of a pound.

I hope I am doing this right??

my tdee is 2147 and my 20% cut is 1702. I work out 3-4 times per week doing 30 - 40 minutes cardio and kettle bell workouts.

How long do I wait until I see results?
  • heybales
    Options
    I just started doing my TDEE - 20%. I have been at a stand still with my weight since the initial loss of weight after having my daughter in 2008!!! :noway:

I did a lot of reading up on this topic and decided to take the plunge. I didn't do a reset, that was just to scary to me, however only 1 week into my 20% cut I have maintained. up and down .6 of a pound.

I hope I am doing this right??

my tdee is 2147 and my 20% cut is 1702. I work out 3-4 times per week doing 30 - 40 minutes cardio and kettle bell workouts.

How long do I wait until I see results?

You might be doing it right, except expecting results in 1 week only on the scale. Do a bunch of measurements? You should.

TDEE estimate level is based on BMR.

What BMR did you use as basis for the math?

So from 90 to 160 min weekly of workouts weekly.

Otherwise 40 hr sedentary desk job for the week?

So you have been on some form of calorie restriction since 2008, or you maintained that weight since then?

If the latter, you have the most simple setup, forget the MFP and TDEE Deficit method if you've been basically eating at maintenance that long with no weight loss or gain and no diet.

Find 250 calories daily you can cut out, something. Don't even need to add up the whole day's worth of eating, just find 250 and leave it out of normal eating.

Now find exercise that will avg 250 cal burn daily. Walk for 45 min, that lifting session is good and probably right.

Do those 2 things, you'll lose weight.