August Challenge - The Binge vs Me

Options
IsMollyReallyHungry
IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
Well this challenge is a challenge with you. The challenge is to for you to win in the fight against "The Binge". Many of us struggle with binging and a few of us have found that making "The Binge" a person has helped us fight the emotions or urge to binge.

So the objective of the challenge is to have more days for you (Me) than the "The Binge".

When you have a day you do not succumb to binge urges or binge give yourself (ME) a point. When you give in to the urge to binge you give 'The Binge" a point. No beating yourself up about it because tomorrow is another day. Honesty with yourself is crucial for it to help you and others.

So we keep score with ourselves the whole month. We encourage on another along the way. Please feel free to share you ups, downs, successes, struggles, etc. You will find you are not alone. See below for format. Feel free to use it or use your own format.

Check in often. The more you check and share the better you will do for the month. So are you in?

As of August 1, 2012:

Me - 0
The Binge - 0

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    As of August 1, 2012:

Me - 0
    The Binge - 0

“None of us can change our yesterdays but all of us can change our tomorrows.” ~Colin Powell
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I'm in again! I have some specific goals that I want to achieve and need to get my eating under control. I'm going to try harder to check in on weekends which is the worst time for me. I don't want to binge more than 8 days.

As of August 1, 2012

Me: 0
    Binge: 0
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    As of August 1, 2012:

Me - 0
    The Binge - 0

I seem to average about 30% of my days for the binge :( once I binge it takes awhile to reset myself and eat normal. Binging for me almost never has anything to do with being hungry or availability of junk.
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Just got finished binging and went looking for a group here on MFP for help to stop it! I'm in for this challenge. :)
  • kayakinggrrl
    kayakinggrrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm in again this month. My goal is 3 or less binge days in the month of August. It's going to be tough as I go on vacation for 10 days at the end of the month. I am going to have to use exercise (it's easier to get in exercise on vacation because I don't have to leave for work at the crack of dawn) as my way of fighting off binges.
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! :)

I'm here for another challenge, too.

Best to you all :flowerforyou:
  • anorangie
    Options
    *posting early to get the ugh feeling out of the way*

August 1, 2012

me: 0
    binge: 1 (8/1)

~beatrix
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is how I started off the challenge.....

August 1, 2012

me: 0
    binge: 1

binges
    Aug 1 mainly Oreos and home made bread. related to stress from crazy kids/lack of sleep due to kids and screwing up a job application deadline.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I did not have a terriable binge today but a binge is a binge right? So I am going to count today as a binge. I think I may have just given myself permission to binge today. Not sure but anyways moving forward and not going to have a blow out binge tonight becasue I have plans that don't include food.

As of August 1, 2012: - Goal not to binge more than 7 days

Me - 0
    The Binge - 1 (8/1)

“None of us can change our yesterdays but all of us can change our tomorrows.” ~Colin Powell
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I am listening to Geneen Roth's book Bite by Bite in my car and it is very good so far. I have it for two weeks before I have to return it to the library so I will have a chance to listen to it 2 or more times for sure.
  • kelbelzz
    kelbelzz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I started August off by binging. (At least I haven't purged.)
    But one day isn't going to ruin my month. I have 30 more days of being binge free!

Best of luck to all of you <3
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    August 2012

Diane : 1
    The Binge: 0

This Challenge is helping my mind SO much. I think back on the month of July and had I not been counting actual bad days, I would be beating myself up inside because I feel like it was so many more than 6. I am astounded that I had 25 good, in control eating days in the past 31. And if I were to go back in my diary and look at what my calorie count was for those 6 days I know it wasn't even that terrible.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the month right. We'll see how it goes.

As of Aug. 1, 2012

Me: 1

Getting to the gym and planning my food in advance usually help keep me on track. It leaves very little time for me to binge before going to bed if I time everything correctly.
  • anorangie
    Options
    August 2012

Diane : 1

This Challenge is helping my mind SO much. I think back on the month of July and had I not been counting actual bad days, I would be beating myself up inside because I feel like it was so many more than 6. I am astounded that I had 25 good, in control eating days in the past 31. And if I were to go back in my diary and look at what my calorie count was for those 6 days I know it wasn't even that terrible.

I like the way you think. :)
  • anorangie
    Options
    I'm starting the month right. We'll see how it goes.

As of Aug. 1, 2012

Getting to the gym and planning my food in advance usually help keep me on track. It leaves very little time for me to binge before going to bed if I time everything correctly.

That's a great strategy.
  • anorangie
    Options
    Let's have a great Thursday, everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • srhcutting
    srhcutting Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great way to start off the month :) Just going to bed, and for the first time in a LOOONG time, I have good stats...

• kayakinggrrl
    Options
    As of August 2

Have a good day today everyone!
  • kayakinggrrl
    Options

This is so true. It's really nice to see the success add up over the course of a month. If I am not tracking good days vs. bad days, I tend to catastrophize (I don't know if that's really a word) the days that I binge. I end up throwing in the towel and giving up because in my mind it seems like all I have done for weeks and weeks is binge. If I had a realistic picture, which I do when I track these things, it would really only be a couple of bad days and quite a few good ones.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options

This is so true. It's really nice to see the success add up over the course of a month. If I am not tracking good days vs. bad days, I tend to catastrophize (I don't know if that's really a word) the days that I binge. I end up throwing in the towel and giving up because in my mind it seems like all I have done for weeks and weeks is binge. If I had a realistic picture, which I do when I track these things, it would really only be a couple of bad days and quite a few good ones.

Catastrophize is indeed a word and one very near and dear to those with EDs. When I read about typical characteristics of those with EDs, this word is always there. I'm glad I know the word, and that I learned that it is "normal" for bingers to catastrophize. Labeling behavior has been very important to me. I'm much more aware of when I'm doing it, and feel like I can control it better now that I have something to call that particular behavior. This challenge has definitely helped me avoid catastrophizing. Also - I am proud to say I've logged my food each and every day now for 3 months no matter what I ate and that is really helping with this behavior as well.