Tell Us About Your Big Success This Week

Options

Replies

• Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    My newest success.. I learned the butterfly. Needs alot of perfecting, as with any new trick though.

lacewitch, do you have any tips for me to get into and hold the move in your profile pic? I have such difficulty getting into it.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    My newest success.. I learned the butterfly. Needs alot of perfecting, as with any new trick though.

lacewitch, do you have any tips for me to get into and hold the move in your profile pic? I have such difficulty getting into it.

Hey there - v inverts require a lot of core strength
    practice knee lifts and fan (or Vegas kicks) with the invert grip on the pole and keep your shoulders near your hands don't drop down into straight arm at this point
    when doing the v invert keep your arms bent as you lift ( this means your butt doesn't have to travel as far). to begin come up with bent legs the straighten legs into V and straighten arms into the position once you are up. eventually you want to go up and doe in a v with straight legs - but be careful this is hard and you really need to engage (and have strong) core coming down to protect your back - i have pulled my back trying to do this before i had the strength!
    make sure you look back - don't look at your hands ( arch your back) and push your butt up (and over) using your core.
    also your side should stay in contact with the pole - this will help when you come to angles / Gemini/ Scorpio moves
    there are some tricks where you twist slightly and rest one thigh against the pole but i could never figure it out

hope this helps and good luck

take it slow and build up strength!

you can also try taking legs off the pole in a normal invert and go into a ~V to find your balance and work on holding it but be sure of your hand grip!

if in doubt have a spotter and always be confident of your grip before you do anything.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Options

Hey there - v inverts require a lot of core strength
    practice knee lifts and fan (or Vegas kicks) with the invert grip on the pole and keep your shoulders near your hands don't drop down into straight arm at this point
    when doing the v invert keep your arms bent as you lift ( this means your butt doesn't have to travel as far). to begin come up with bent legs the straighten legs into V and straighten arms into the position once you are up. eventually you want to go up and doe in a v with straight legs - but be careful this is hard and you really need to engage (and have strong) core coming down to protect your back - i have pulled my back trying to do this before i had the strength!
    make sure you look back - don't look at your hands ( arch your back) and push your butt up (and over) using your core.
    also your side should stay in contact with the pole - this will help when you come to angles / Gemini/ Scorpio moves
    there are some tricks where you twist slightly and rest one thigh against the pole but i could never figure it out

hope this helps and good luck

take it slow and build up strength!

you can also try taking legs off the pole in a normal invert and go into a ~V to find your balance and work on holding it but be sure of your hand grip!

if in doubt have a spotter and always be confident of your grip before you do anything.

Great advice, thanks. I started doing the knee lifts and fan kicks a little while ago. I think my main issue is I need more core strength. A spotter is a good idea too, might help me get the feel for the titling back, thats the part I have problems with.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Options
    Well lacewitch, I used your tips and I got it and now that I have the feel for it I was doing it every time tonight. I focused more on making sure my knees were up and back arched before trying to tilt back, then pulling my butt up into the pole. You really made it clear what to do with every body part to get into the move and it worked :) Thanks alot.
  • lacewitch
    Options
    Well lacewitch, I used your tips and I got it and now that I have the feel for it I was doing it every time tonight. I focused more on making sure my knees were up and back arched before trying to tilt back, then pulling my butt up into the pole. You really made it clear what to do with every body part to get into the move and it worked :) Thanks alot.
    my pleasure. glad I could help. well done for getting the V this will help a lot with angels/ Gemini and Scorpio! but is great fun and a brill workout
    congratulations!
  • faeofthedark
    faeofthedark Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My good news for this week is I managed standing on the pole (i think some others call it cupid) and western flag for the first time! Hope everyone else is progressing!
  • lori_en
    lori_en Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Nice one! Well done Fae!

I am so pleased with myself today! I had my old pole friend come round to do a bit of practise, as she hasn't been going to classes for quite a while and I decided to try out her signature move, the starburst, which I have never been able to do since starting pole. But today, I randomly was able to get it... and not just as a one off, I was able to do it again so she could take a photo of me!

I am so pleased with myself as it opens up a whole load of other moves now that I can work on that start the same way! :)
  • faeofthedark
    faeofthedark Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Awesome, well done you!

I survived the christmas showcase last night at the studio and didn't die of nerves when it came to our groups turn, everyone was amazingly brave to do the routines in front of an audience:)
  • kelly_courson
    kelly_courson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Last week was lay back to crescent and butterfly. On butterfly the pole started spinning and I thought I was going to fall but I had a spotter thank goodness...it made me feel so strong to FINALLY get that butterfly :-P
  • lacewitch
    Options
    I managed to do a flag! Woo hoo ( anything with a split grip bottom hand thumb pointing down is my nemesis!)

Plus managed thigh hold - bird - Flatline- star(fish) to superman combo and my superman didn't look like a super villain as I had straight legs and a smile on my face rather than a grimace - the pain is finally becoming bearable!
    :wink: :happy: :tongue:
    poledancey.gif
  • lori_en
    Options
    Just came back from a class where I thought I'd be too tired to do anything, but managed to actually make some progress for the first time in ages!

Finally managed to get from an invert into an upright position in one fluid move... as well as starting off in a gemini and a gemini has been my nemesis since being introduced to the move!

One very happy pole lady here! :drinker:
  • IronKitty
    IronKitty Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Just got back from class tonight and manage quite a few new things!! First, I climbed the 14' poles to the top on my bad side (I'm really good with spins working both sides, but avoid my bad climbing side like the plague) and second, I climbed (on my good side) without heels to the top(another win since it takes a lot more strength w/o the grip of shoes)!! Third, I FINALLY got my one handed crazy diamond while holding my heels. Fourth, I also I did an angel (or teardrop or whatever you call it) drop from about 3/4 the way up the pole. So YAY for me lol!
  • lacewitch
    Options
    FINALLY got my one handed crazy diamond while holding my heels.

What is a one (or 2 ) handed crazy diamond. It sounds like fun!

I started getting somewhere on spinning pole.
    I no-longer feel like I am going to puke and I am starting to get the moves. Pleased!
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 271
    Options
    Elbow hold anchor (butterfly) on the strength side and something we call a "Helen follow through to back spin" - and I've no idea what anyone else calls it
  • IronKitty
    IronKitty Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    FINALLY got my one handed crazy diamond while holding my heels.

What is a one (or 2 ) handed crazy diamond. It sounds like fun!

I started getting somewhere on spinning pole.
    I no-longer feel like I am going to puke and I am starting to get the moves. Pleased!

Its actually a spin I learned early on and is pretty easy, I think some people call it a backwards showgirl. You can see it here: http://poledancedictionary.com/moves/243/backwards-showgirl/ . One handed you take your inside hand off the pole and grab your stilettos, whats tricky (for me anyways) is if you have a large chest or broad shoulders its hard to push your upper body behind the pole and keep your upper hand on the pole.
  • lori_en
    Options
    Feeling my split grip Butterfly is getting really strong now so decided the other day to give extended butterfly a go... have to say I found it a lot easier than I thought I would, although I'm not 100% there as the pole was too sticky for me to pull my leg all the way down to my heel... but still progress! Going to try again tonight!

Also tried split grip ayesha, but that may take a while considering I can just take both legs off the pole, still need to work on my strength with that one!
  • FH36251
    FH36251 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Last night I passed my Intermediate Instructor Skills Assessment :D (not taking my exam until I've got my Hoop Instructor courses done, but it's a big relief to have half of this out of the way!!)
  • lacewitch
    Options
    I managed a flamingo, a jade and splits up the pole vertical and box (though i'm not sure they quite class as splits)
    I also shoulder mounted with all 3 grips!
    (sore shoulders)
    next - handsprings - :)

pole_dancing_bunny_by_irisorchad-d47r4j0.gif
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I did a Flag hold last night - FIRST TIME EVER!!! I can spin until I create my own gravitational pull, but those holds -*ugh* :heart:
  • lacewitch
    Options
    Cupid has been done!