Tell Us About Your Big Success This Week

Options

Replies

• IronKitty
    IronKitty Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Tried Artemis for the first time and got it!! YAY!!!

(I love lacewitch gif so I'm taking this as an excuse to use it!)

pole_dancing_bunny_by_irisorchad-d47r4j0.gif
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options

enjoy the gif. i couldn't resist.
    whats an Artemis? - i couldn't find it on pole dance dictionary
    freebie___fella_pole_dance_by_demonicintuition.gif
  • IronKitty
    Options

enjoy the gif. i couldn't resist.
    whats an Artemis? - i couldn't find it on pole dance dictionary
    freebie___fella_pole_dance_by_demonicintuition.gif

Its like a figurehead but with an armpit grip with your inside arm with both arms out straight in front of you, hopefully with some grace lol
  • lacewitch
    Options
    anyone got any tips for handsprings? no one in my class can spot properly so i am taking it slow ( i am normally the spotter not the spotted! )
    i am trying from butterfly or caterpillar
    and kicking up into it.

thanks
  • FH36251
    FH36251 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    anyone got any tips for handsprings? no one in my class can spot properly so i am taking it slow ( i am normally the spotter not the spotted! )
    and kicking up into it.

thanks

What arms only prep have you done? Have you been doing extended butterfly? How is your caterpillar climb? Are you going for split or twisted grip handsprings?

(Sorry about all the questions!!! Let me know Nd I can prob give some advice that may help ;) )
  • n3shaa_
    n3shaa_ Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i finally got my butterfly!!!! you can tell i'm pretty excited about it because i made it my profile pic lol
  • lacewitch
    Options
    and kicking up into it.

thanks

What arms only prep have you done? Have you been doing extended butterfly? How is your caterpillar climb? Are you going for split or twisted grip handsprings?

(Sorry about all the questions!!! Let me know Nd I can prob give some advice that may help ;) )
    I have been doping split grip holds ( and i am quite strong)
    my extended butterfly is good
    caterpillar climb is coming slowly

I've tried both twisted and straight grip hand springs - my studio teaches twisted grip
    thanks for your help

on the success front - i got the Poisson and the brass monkey today.

does a happy dance
  • FH36251
    FH36251 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

I've tried both twisted and straight grip hand springs - my studio teaches twisted grip
    thanks for your help

does a happy dance
    Fantastic!!!! I love poisson!!

Right, handsprings. Looks like you have all your prep done, the only other things I would look for in a class before teaching handsprings are a good Split or Twisty grip inverted D or Flower, and a good aerial invert. I'm guessing as you're quite strong you have these down also. Coolio.

I find split grip handsprings a lot easier, twisty will really, really damage the wrist if done too much in early handspring training. The best way to train a twisty is to lift it from a low position; the lower your hands are in any arms-only, the easier you will find it to lift.
    So. Get your arms in twisty. Bottom hand really, really low, both arms straight and locked. Lean over, then turn so your chest is towards the ceiling. Kick up one leg, then get a spotter to raise your other one so you are in Ayesha.

For a split grip, again, low bottom hand. For this, kick up your inside leg, and immediately go into a tuck with both legs (inverted) before straightening out to Ayesha. Remember, get your bum out as much as poss, and keep you legs low. High straddle looks scruffy!

TG was the first I learnt, and I could never get into a tuck; just straight to an Ayesha: but tHis is because I never practiced from a butterfly/ crucifix, so never learnt the proper bum out/ balance. Split grip I found jackknife much easier than Ayesha etc at first!

Hope this helps; generally we teach an up the pole Ayesha first, then handspring prep and finally proper handsprings. If you can, try and mix it up with some elbow/ split grip to save too much impact on that lower wrist!!

Good luck, get low and bum out!! Xx
  • lacewitch
    Options

thanks for your help

does a happy dance
    Fantastic!!!! I love poisson!!

Right, handsprings. Looks like you have all your prep done, the only other things I would look for in a class before teaching handsprings are a good Split or Twisty grip inverted D or Flower, and a good aerial invert. I'm guessing as you're quite strong you have these down also. Coolio.

I find split grip handsprings a lot easier, twisty will really, really damage the wrist if done too much in early handspring training. The best way to train a twisty is to lift it from a low position; the lower your hands are in any arms-only, the easier you will find it to lift.
    So. Get your arms in twisty. Bottom hand really, really low, both arms straight and locked. Lean over, then turn so your chest is towards the ceiling. Kick up one leg, then get a spotter to raise your other one so you are in Ayesha.

For a split grip, again, low bottom hand. For this, kick up your inside leg, and immediately go into a tuck with both legs (inverted) before straightening out to Ayesha. Remember, get your bum out as much as poss, and keep you legs low. High straddle looks scruffy!

TG was the first I learnt, and I could never get into a tuck; just straight to an Ayesha: but tHis is because I never practiced from a butterfly/ crucifix, so never learnt the proper bum out/ balance. Split grip I found jackknife much easier than Ayesha etc at first!

Hope this helps; generally we teach an up the pole Ayesha first, then handspring prep and finally proper handsprings. If you can, try and mix it up with some elbow/ split grip to save too much impact on that lower wrist!!

Good luck, get low and bum out!! Xx

I appreciate the advice! thanks!
    i'm gonna read it a few times and keep trying. thanks!
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! I just did 2 new tricks tonight. Not the prettiest though, they need ALOT more practice. But I managed to do an Aysha with forearm grip... very unsteady trying to get my legs out cuz I was scared Id fall, so that probably looks terrible so far, but I did get both legs off and into a not so good V, but it was a V none the less lol. And I also managed to do a shoulder mount to a knee tuck. :)
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 271
    Options
    I finally managed to lift a shoulder mount from seated - sit on the floor, back to the pole, legs apart but straight - lift your feet into the air, then pull yourself into a shoulder mount (basically it removes any chance of kicking into it)
  • IronKitty
    Options
    Finally got my layback!!!!! SO EXCITED!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I got my Jackknife aka Shoulder Mount without using momentum. It's not very graceful (have to hook with one foot and pull myself the rest of the way up), but I can do it! :bigsmile: Grace will come with practice.
  • TisMee76
    TisMee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi all...I'm a new Poler! This is my 9th week doing it...and I luv it!!!! It's the best thing I've ever done!!!

Every week I go back I see more improvement with my fitness and strength...it's fantastic!

Last night I finally conquered a move I just couldn't do before!!!

I'm in Oz, so we might call moves by different names here, but you essentially go from a layout (layback) to a hello boys!

I tried two or three times last night and just couldn't get it. And then, 5 minutes before the end of class I gave it one last shot and got it!!! Man...that feeling of finally getting something is amazing!!!!

Anyway...I'm on a high now! Life it good...the bruises...not so good...lol...
  • IronKitty
    Options
    Finally got my layback!!!!! SO EXCITED!

Realized that laybacks mean different things to different people...also I'm too excited not to share more. The layback for me is no handed, gripping the pole between my thighs and going upside down! This is 1 of 5 moves I'm going to do by my Bday 4/26 including invert, headstand, body spiral, and stag. Will add more if I get through them fast, but I think invert is going to be the toughest!
  • lacewitch
    Options
    i did a choreography class and preformed for the next class at the end and got told i looked good - i have 2 left feet, no sense of rhythm and i still cant do the body roll / ripple move ( i.e. what they tried to teadch me in clas 1 level 1)
    so this was a major win for me and if i'd had the energy i would have done a happy dance

plus
    help PLEASE
    have you seen pole dancing adventures? ( http://pole-dancing-adventures.blogspot.co.uk/ )
    i have bought a custom sketch from the author and need to decide on a pose to take a picture of for her to sketch

suggestions please!!!
  • IronKitty
    Options
    BEST POLE DAY EVER!!!

I finally did a reverse grab body spiral (http://poledancedictionary.com/moves/171/reverse-grab/) !! Its on my bday list!!

Also did a butterfly (http://www.empowermentthroughexoticdance.com/Jan2010Gallery08.jpg0 and archer
    (http://poledancedictionary.com/moves/318/closed-inside-leg-hang/)!! Things I haven't even thought of doing yet!

I almost got my spinning invert too!!!! All that and I still cant do a basic invert w/o help LOL
  • IronKitty
    Options
    i did a choreography class and preformed for the next class at the end and got told i looked good - i have 2 left feet, no sense of rhythm and i still cant do the body roll / ripple move ( i.e. what they tried to teadch me in clas 1 level 1)
    so this was a major win for me and if i'd had the energy i would have done a happy dance

plus
    help PLEASE
    have you seen pole dancing adventures? ( http://pole-dancing-adventures.blogspot.co.uk/ )
    i have bought a custom sketch from the author and need to decide on a pose to take a picture of for her to sketch

suggestions please!!!

I always though this was a great pose d168a3f71274d0973b36640077835f47.jpg
  • lacewitch
    Options

I always though this was a great pose d168a3f71274d0973b36640077835f47.jpg

ohhh
    i want to do that. do you know what it is called so i can watch a video and see how to get into it.

thanks so much!
  • IronKitty
    Options

ohhh
    i want to do that. do you know what it is called so i can watch a video and see how to get into it.

thanks so much!

I don't, I actually just for the image on pinterest. P.S. I have a whole pole dance board with awesome videos and pics if you want to check it out: http://pinterest.com/JillianWilschke/pole-dance/

I think what you do to get into it (just guessing here BTW) is go into a basic invert, release hands (making sure you have a tight lock on the pole with you legs below the knee) then bend your back leg grabbing with your outside arm. Give it a try and let me know how it goes!!