Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    F22 apps W7D3 complete.
    • 58 Push-ups (w/ bars),
    • 104 Sit-ups,
    • 73 Squats,
    • 9 Full Squat, Bicep Curl, Shoulder Press with 30 lb Dumbbells (W1D3)

4 sets of 2 reps plus one more. Gotta pick 'em up and put 'em down between sets anyway so why not add the full squat in the middle too.

FITBIT CHARGE HR STATS
      • 37 minutes total,
      • 22 active minutes,
      • 207 cals.

• 0 minutes in peak zone (>160 bpm),
      • 0 minutes in cardio zone (130 - 160, peak HR 134 bpm),
      • 26 minutes in fat burn zone (95 - 130),
      • and the rest out of zone (<95 bpm).
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Rest day (sort of).
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    10K app W11D1 complete.
    • normal 5 minute warm-up
    • 3 sets, 17 minute jog @ 5 mph, 1 minute walk @ 3.5 mph
    • 5 minute walking recovery @ 3.5 mph
    • 4 sprints, 1 minute run @ 7 mph, 2 minute walk @ 3.5 mph
    • normal 5 minute cool-down

Bad night. In bed at 11 PM but just stared at back of my eyelids for an hour. Finally got up and watched a movie. Back to bed at 2 AM. Tossed and turned all night long. Up at 7 AM (adjusted CDT, UTC/GMT -5 hours). My FitBit says 4:39 hrs:min of sleep. (I think it is being generous.)

I adjusted my FitBit running stride to match my jog stride. Now 10K app distance closer to theoretical sum of 6.06 mi for times and speeds of each run segments. Still a little on the high side at 6.34 mi, but within 5%. I'm OK with that.

FITBIT CHARGE HR STATS
    • 89 minutes total,
    • 82 active minutes,
    • 1,129 cals,
    • 11,139 steps,
    • 6.34 miles.

• 9 minutes in peak zone (>160 bpm, peak HR 166 bpm),
    • 58 minutes in cardio zone (130 - 160),
    • 12 minutes in fat burn zone (95 - 130),
  • civpro1
    civpro1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had hoped for 20000 steps today on my charge hr, but this storm here in Missouri is going to keep me at about 16000 today
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Was working in garage basement with doors open when that storm blew through. Wasn't so bad here (4 mi S of Ozark), just wind, rain, some pea hail. Guess Springfield got hammered. Flash flood warnings everywhere.

My Charge HR just ticked over 19,000 when I turned off the garage lights. Highest so far since getting it in Jan.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    F22 apps W8D1 complete.
    • 68 Push-ups (w/ bars),
    • 112 Sit-ups,
    • 78 Squats,
    • 8 Full Squat, Bicep Curl, Shoulder Press with 30 lb Dumbbells (W1D3)

First day of new mowing season and didn't know if I'd have time to do this workout, let alone post it. Finally pushed myself out of the LazyBoy after only 45 minutes with my morning coffee and another short night (FitBit says 5 hours of sleep... optimist). Got a notice while deep in the squats of an hour and a half rain delay, so I have breathing room today.

I'll keep trying to get these workouts in before work but I don't know how its going to work out time-wise. I really, really don't want to get up earlier than 5 AM.

FITBIT CHARGE HR STATS
      • 40 minutes total,
      • 10 active minutes,
      • 158 cals.

• 0 minutes in peak zone (>160 bpm),
      • 0 minutes in cardio zone (130 - 160, peak HR 131 bpm),
      • 25 minutes in fat burn zone (95 - 130),
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Gave up my 45 minutes of workout time this morning to go vote in my state's primary. 20 minute drive away from work. 5 minutes to vote. 20 minute drive back to house and then to work.

Hope it was worth it.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Vision remains the same. Two days into growing season and I can see the plan needs work.

After first two days, my TDEE is up 800 cals (3520 yesterday) and steps are up about 6,000 without doing any additional deliberated exercise. My whole body is grumbling. Sore muscles (arms and hands mainly) and holding on to water. Feel good during day and really enjoying job, but collapsing at night.

New plan. Survive this work week. Saturday, do F22 W8D2 workout and add the APFT 2 mi run at 5.5 mph. Sunday, do the longer 10K W11D2 run. Survive second week. Saturday, do F22 W8D3 workout and add the APFT 2 mi run at 6.0 mph. Re-evaluate.

Hope body will be use to higher activity level by then and can restart weekday morning workouts.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    Gave up my 45 minutes of workout time this morning to go vote in my state's primary. 20 minute drive away from work. 5 minutes to vote. 20 minute drive back to house and then to work.

Hope it was worth it.

[palm slap to forehead]

Nope.

Real close race but my candidate lost. Well, when things go sideways I can say "ITS NOT MY FAULT!! I voted for the other guy!"
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    New plan. Survive this work week.

A lifetime ago I worked in lumber yards. Intense physical labour. A typical day (night shift) was taking 12" x 12" x 12' logs weighing a 2-300 pounds and ripping them down to a 2" x 4" x 12' studs on a single blade bandsaw. 10 hours a night.

Mentally the job was crap. Bored out of my skull 40 hours a week.
    Physically I barely had the energy to cycle home every morning and had zero issues falling asleep anywhere (even when not appropriate).

Somedays I miss that job. Then I remember the boredom and hostile environment.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Fortunately I work with a great bunch of guys. My best friend and diving buddy owns the company and we are business partners in another venture. It has been known to happen, maybe a couple of times a month during the growing season, where he is at the shop at the end of the day with a six pack in the cooler and we sit and talk while drinking brews until dark.

The work, while not rocket science, is interesting and challenging both physically and mentally (you try keeping a zero-turn mower moving in a straight line... sometimes on a slope... sometimes bouncing over mole hills. Easier to herd cats.) Scenery changes with each yard. We also try and rotate duties, so one person isn't stuck doing just the grunt jobs.
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    Lawn maintenance would be infinitely better than a lumber yard.
    Always behind a very loud machine, never moving out of a 10 foot area.
    Not allowed to listen to music as you had to listen to the machine for any issues.
    Only co-workers close enough to speak to were 15 feet away on the other side of the machine. And you had to yell for them to hear, so not a lot of chatter.

Of course, now I spend 8-12 hours a day behind a desk staring at a computer. Mentally, so much better. Physically, not even close. So I am not really any better.

My brother in-law did lawn maintenance for a couple of years, and he always liked it. Good work, keeps you active and busy. But only a seasonal job. Can clear snow in winter, but the crews are always smaller so less staff needed.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    My brother in-law did lawn maintenance for a couple of years, and he always liked it. Good work, keeps you active and busy. But only a seasonal job. Can clear snow in winter, but the crews are always smaller so less staff needed.

True enough. We do have two snow plows but they were only out once this winter. Hardly worth the effort.

However as mechanic on staff, I rebuilt three mower engines this winter and refurbished two commercial grass bagging systems. Cost about $3,000 in parts and materials but saved the company about $13,000 in replacing equipment. Even adding my salary for three months to the cost (about $4,100) the company comes out ahead.

For some reason, not many lawn maintenance companies around here do this - i.e. rebuild and/or refurbish equipment. Not sure why. Personally, I like the challenge of making something work again.
  • d_thomas02
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I want to get in the habit of posting something every day, so I'll start posting my FitBit Charge HR total calorie burn (TDEE) and steps for the previous day.

Here is a chart for the last three weeks. First two are before growing season started with me adding those deliberate exercises six days out of seven. Third week is this week to date. Note previous Saturdays' "rest" day TDEEs of roughly 2500 and steps around 5,000 which, BTW, is almost exactly what MFP says my base activity is.

q8nbuf6hv0r6.jpg

This mowing job is good for an additional 1,000 cal daily burn and an additional 10,000 to 11,000 steps over my "rest" days... and we are just spinning up.

("Rest" is in quotes as I do household chores on Saturdays.)
    TDEE.jpg 131.9K
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Friday 3/18/16
    TDEE: 3,768, approx. 1,270 cals over baseline.
    Steps: 20,952, approx 16,000 steps over baseline.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Saturday 3/19/16
    TDEE 3,719 cals
    Steps 22,471

Daily Average for 7 day week
    TDEE 3,657 cals
    Steps 17,222
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Worked yesterday so didn't get my short APFT 2 mile run in. Decided to do it today in place of the longer 10K run. I think that will be the plan for next week too.

Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT)

Weight: 198.6 - Initial entry weight max is 199 - Provisional Pass
    (Passing weight max is 192)

Body Fat %: 23
    Pass

Push-ups in 2 minutes: 32
    Pass - 73 points (out of 100)

Sit-ups in 2 minutes: 42
    Pass - 75 points (out of 100)

2 mile @ 6.1 mph
    • normal 5 minute warm-up
    • 20 minute jog @ 6.1 mph
    • normal 5 minute cool-down

Pass - 60 points (out of 100)

APFT SCORE: 208 (out of 300)

FITBIT CHARGE HR STATS
    • 53 minutes total,
    • 39 active minutes,
    • 522 cals,
    • 4,282 steps,
    • 2.43 miles.

• 12 minutes in peak zone (>160 bpm, peak HR 177 bpm),
    • 10 minutes in cardio zone (130 - 160),
    • 21 minutes in fat burn zone (95 - 130),
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    Great work!
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Thanks! I started the run at 5.5 mph but about 10 seconds into it I said, " WTH, go for it." and bumped it up to 6.1 mph.

Think I'll try 6.5 mph next time. >:)
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Sunday 3/20/16

TDEE 3,434 cals
    Steps 13,093

Was only day off last week, but after APFT I did a Spring yard clean-up for my Mom. Pruned trees and trimmed a fence hedge in backyard. Shrub trimmers locked up on me about 3/4 way through, so finished hedge with chainsaw. Not prettiest job but it'll do.

Next weekend, its my yard's turn. First mow (change oil and put mowing deck back on the Kabota B series) and about a dozen 6 ft tall maiden grasses.